More from DJ Jeffries’ father regarding the split (He mad?)

Kelly Kline | Under Armour

Kelly Kline | Under Armour

The decommitment of DJ Jeffries is getting a second run around the news cycle today after his father, Corey Jeffries, gained some attention for telling a Memphis radio station the Kentucky staff was “unprofessional” in its handling of Jeffries’ decision.

Corey Jeffries has since clarified that statement to The Commercial Appeal in Memphis, saying, “It wasn’t Cal that took it so bad. It was the main recruiter (assistant coach Tony Barbee).”

Interesting.

That same story also notes the former UK commit took offense to the absence of any UK coaches at his final AAU game out in Las Vegas.

“It was the last game of his summer career, so he was expecting somebody to be there,” Corey Jeffries said. “I think it kind of bothered him. That kind of shook him up a little bit.”

Furthermore, Corey Jeffries said it is interesting to see Memphis get “a leg up” on Calipari in recruiting and that the Jeffries family is “enjoying it, to be honest.”

Read the entire story in The Commercial Appeal here.

I don’t know much more than any of you, but to me it sounds like Kentucky lost interest and Corey Jeffries is a little bummed about it. First, the staff didn’t take the time to watch his son in Vegas. Then the staff didn’t seem to care when his son decommitted. He expected UK to beg him to stay, and they didn’t.

So let’s all move on.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for More from DJ Jeffries’ father regarding the split (He mad?)

1. Matty Arbuckle
    8:56 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

We’d like to move on, but y’all keep writing new posts about the situation every twenty minutes…

• KentuckyFan232
      10:38 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

It’s the second post about this you idiot

• Matty Arbuckle
      11:10 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Um, yeah the second post about his dad sure, but I obviously meant that they won’t quit writing about the situation of the kid decommitting. There have been at least a dozen posts about it. You idiot.

• Blue Bill
      11:26 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Don’t read them…

• ukisgr8
      5:02 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

Based on those comments it seems to me to be one big ruse that he comitted to UK to begin with. Some of those comments you dont make right after decomiting unless itd been in the works for months. I think he knew he was going to memphis day one and this was pennys way to make sure he gets Wiseman too

2. Wade
    8:56 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

….

3. BeejeCat
    8:57 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Move on. Starting….NOW. I mean….NOW. Ok really this time…

4. mgwolfe
    9:02 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Who cares. Stop writing about it. Whitney and Allen all day long over this kid anyhow.

5. jos_ros_
    9:03 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

in what way does memphis have the leg up in recruiting ? hahahaha

• KYFAN4LYFE
      2:30 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

Um…in the literal way…as in , there’s a 0% chance the kid goes to UK now, and a very good chance he stays close to home and goes to Memphis. That’s pretty simple math.

• KYJelly
      9:30 pm August 1, 2018 Permalink

Memphis didn’t get a leg-up as much as Kentucky stopped putting forth effort. If I lose interest in recruiting a kid so he goes somewhere else, that doesn’t mean they beat me for him

• Booby Petrino
      7:55 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

lol this isn’t a math problem, but if you want to use math…getting 1 recruit, maybe two, is not getting a leg up on Cal in recruiting. Cal will end up with the better class, as usual. Therefore, they do not have a leg up on Cal in recruiting, moron.

• Booby Petrino
      7:57 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

sorry, I forgot the math part: 2 < 5…Cal will have 5 of the best players in the class (at least) and Memphis will have 2.

• 4everUKblue
      8:17 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

Two that are overrated IMO.

6. rlburd2
    9:08 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Would it be possible to get another story on this? Word on the street is Corey just switched his hat from the standard forward position to the saucy quarter turn variety. What does this mean for us as UK fans?!?!?!

7. bwise
    9:16 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Love that KSR is getting ripped for this. Leave it alone…also leave the Julius mays was a good player alone…it was 27 years ago and he wasn’t good.

8. Booby Petrino
    9:19 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Lol @ all the people commenting that they should stop posting about this. In the mean time, your comments give the article clicks and is the reason they will continue to post about it. Silly kids!

9. Oliviajackson31
    9:21 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

He’s not good enough to go chase after! He’s not a 5 star or a game changer. We have enough good players

• unbridled
      11:08 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Agreed! Coach cal clearly wasn’t sold on him. In cal I trust.

10. blitzedanddazed
    9:28 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

No doubt UK and Memphis will be in the same bracket this March in the NCAA tournament. Word is that UK was concerned Jefferies had baggage that made him toxic in the locker room. His daddy learned making threats will get your son playing Penny and Marky Mark.

• unbridled
      11:07 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

This season? Uk will smoke those jokers. I like my team.

11. k3ntucky_jer
    9:30 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Why are you on repeat Drew? You are better then this ?????

12. 72uksprinter
    9:40 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

I agree. Let’s move on. Maybe without Barbee?
    Go Bahamacats!

13. StuckinLville
    9:41 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Why would they keep watching him when he has already committed? I could be wrong, but I don’t think they spent much time watching Maxey. They need to be watching other players, not babying the ones committed. Sounds like a little drama queen and like it’s best they went separate ways.

14. Ben27
    10:00 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

They watch the players they really want almost every game they can. That may tell you something about DJ’s importance

15. HackRichards
    10:17 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

I say he and Wiseman are BOTH overrated.

• 4everUKblue
      10:56 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

I couldn’t agree more. I’m glad Jeffries is not coming here, in fact I was shocked he got an offer. His dad sounds like a dad we don’t want to have to deal with. Good riddance.

16. scwhite9
    10:23 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

I am not sure we really want someone who doesn’t understand the concept of “committed.” Nor, does his father. I think we dodged a bullet.

17. yodasgreendong
    10:39 pm July 31, 2018 Permalink

Here’s how I read this, and it’s just my opinion. I think Cal knows Wiseman is not going to come here, and if he was, Jeffries was of no consequence any way. And, I think Jeffries was only offered as a way to ensure Wiseman commits, and now that Cal and staff know Jeffries won’t affect his decision one way or the other, they are over recruiting him. Makes sense to me.

18. ClutchCargo
    12:13 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

Meh. I’m over this kid and his dad.

• ukisgr8
      5:08 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

With you there. When daddy injects himself this much then I’d stay away from him, whether the kid is barely top 50 as in this case or whether its lonzo ball. I bet this guy thinks he can take lebron one on one too

19. Cryingtheblues
    3:51 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

See ya!

20. KYjellyRoll
    7:50 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

I think U.K. Knows there’s a few other players coming in at this position and kind of left it up to DJ to decide whether or not to play alongside them. He obviously felt threatened of playing time. I’ll be keeping an eye on Memphis this year to see how penny coaches at the D1 collegiate level

21. Ez21
    9:03 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

U all that are saying Wiseman is overrated don’t do that. Clearly u feel spurned and now wanna use the oh he’s overrated, I didn’t want him anyway excuse. He’s not overrated, I’d actually rather have Carey in college but Wiseman isn’t overrated.

22. CombatMedic_98
    10:29 am August 1, 2018 Permalink

After reading this article…Cal is smart and when he smells drama from the mom or dad…He will not put up with it…glad he’s gone. Dad looks like a drama king and trying to throw an immature Lavar Ball joke at Coach…good riddance to them both

23. Blue Boy
    3:54 pm August 1, 2018 Permalink

Drew,
    What part of that article led you to say Then the staff didn’t seem to care when his son decommitted. He expected UK to beg him to stay, and they didn’t..

I like being passionate but I think our fans get way too emotional and you are doing the same in print.

Why?

24. KYJelly
    9:29 pm August 1, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like his dad was gonna be a problem, and we all know Cal doesn’t deal with that crap from parents.