More draft decision updates! (Wednesday Show Thread)

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will give you the latest on what they’re hearing regarding UK’s NBA hopefuls. They’ll also talk a little spring football and what’s the proper etiquette for booing.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

91 Comments for More draft decision updates! (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    9:59 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

FIRST!!!!

2. secrick
    10:02 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

No one talks about this kid but i think Quade was going to have a very good year until he got hurt. I think he will show off a little next year.

• JerryDamage
      10:03 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I’d agree with that. He took a step back once he came back from it. Was the Louisville game the last one before he got hurt? We were looking great then.

• secrick
      10:09 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I think you are right about that .

3. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Nine SEC teams in baseball top 25, and down goes UL.

• ukjaybrat
      10:23 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

they said 10 last night. different polls maybe

4. JerryDamage
    10:14 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I think it’s smart for PJ and some of the others to go test the waters. Maybe go through the combine if they get invited and get experience for next year or when they are ready.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Agreed, it let’s them know what to expect the second time around, and let’s them know what to work on and improve.

5. JerryDamage
    10:15 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

There’s a lot of pros for Knox to come back. Can’t blame him if he goes but if he comes back, we gonna be really good.

6. JerryDamage
    10:17 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m guessing there’s no transfer rumors then if we get everyone else back.

• ukjaybrat
      10:23 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

tai already announced he’s leaving. not sure about SKJ though

• JerryDamage
      10:27 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

SKJ and Quade were the rumored ones. Tai we knew was gone. No news on the other 2 though is good news. I’d love to have both back. SKJ has some strong upside with more work and Quade wasn’t bad last year so a sophmore season with him will be great to see.

7. Realme
    10:19 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Matt, who was really defensive about getting accused of falsely getting hopes too high yesterday, cautioning everyone to not have their hopes up today.

• JerryDamage
      10:22 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Could be that he’s hearing that they are both gone or both leaning towards going.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Typical doublespeak, imo.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Last week people were whining that Matt didn’t give enough updates on players’ draft decisions. This week he gave more updates. Then people accuse him of getting their hopes up because he said guys were torn. So, now he has to tell people not to get their hopes up because too many gown adults are stupid and can’t manage their own expectations.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

*grown. I need more coffee.

• Realme
      10:51 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Matt should know by now that what he says has a huge amount of influence. He backed off a lot of what he said yesterday, but to act surprised that people took what he said then and ran with it is silly. He had several “don’t go overboard” comments yesterday that he completely shot down, and today he’s all “you guys are going overboard.”

• JerryDamage
      10:57 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

See and with his influence, that’s why I always thought he should go for some political position in the state. He could have huge influence and actually maybe get things accomplished here. If he goes to Washington, my fear would be that he’d argue too much and wouldn’t get anything done for KY. His influence is here and not nationally.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Which is the same as every other year. I remember having this exact same conversation with some dude that called himself “sir edmund” a couple of years ago. All media personalities deal in a certain amount of hyperbole for entertainment purposes. Regardless of whatever else Matt said, he still has been telling everyone that Shai and Knox are likely gone, and to assume that everyone will test the waters.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Most UK fans wouldn’t vote for Matt under any circumstances because to them he’s just a “stupid liberal.”

• JerryDamage
      11:00 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I’ve said most of the season that I felt Shai and Knox were gone and then we could lose 1-2 more. Which looks like that’s what may happen.

• JerryDamage
      11:01 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

JDub that’s why I think him running is a bad idea. But he seems pretty gunho about it and while he’s not “officially” doing it, I think he’s made up his mind to try to take down Mitch, which is a battle I can’t see him winning.

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

My hopes are up because of the SEC Country interview with Knox’s dad that I read yesterday, btw.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

We are getting our hopes up because of YOU, Matt. But, I don’t understand SGA considering leaving when Villanova’s Brunson comes back for his junior year.
    Certainly, SGA could improve his jump shot. And, Kevin needs to get stronger.

9. secrick
    10:24 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Just think if everyone came back. You would have to be a heck of a coach to keep all those guys happy. Could Cal do it?

• JerryDamage
      10:26 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I’d argue that he did it in 2015 with more talent. So no reason why he couldn’t do it again.

• Realme
      10:27 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Yes. Cal better than anyone at doing that.

10. secrick
    10:30 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Villanova has no seniors starting. Has anyone heard if they are losing any players.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

You kind of have to figure Brunson is going. No idea on the others. They are on quite a roll right now, not sure why the way too early predictions for 2019 are handing it to Duke or us.

• If everyone comes back they may be talking about 40-0.

• JerryDamage
      10:42 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I can see that. They play in the Big East and how many people there are going to give them a run for their money. Also I’m willing to be their non-conference isn’t a murderer’s row. With everyone back they could be going for it. They had 4 losses this year. I can see them throwing up a clunker here and there though and someone getting them. 40-0 is really hard to do.

• secrick
      10:44 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

If they all do come back that could happen for sure.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:34 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Courageous lady to take the UL job. Reminds me of the old joke about a train switchman who was applying for the job. They gave him several tough scenarios, and he solved them flawlessly. On the last tough one, he said “I would call my sister”.
    They asked what his sister could do, and he said “Nothing, she just loves train wrecks”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I think Postel did a great job of getting them through the initial crapstorm and hopefully setting her up for success. I kind of feel like they should have just kept Postel, but I guess he was more the crisis management type. Maybe that means he’s actually perfect for the UofL president position! 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

But Louisville fans hate Postel because he had UK connections and he threw out Tommy Turtleneck.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know about any Postel/UK connections, but the crook who formerly sat in that chair and helped get them into this mess was a UK graduate!

12. JerryDamage
    10:36 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

That show was pretty good. I watched it and can easily see how you could get people to do it.

13. runningunnin.454
    10:50 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

UK baseball has really changed since I was there…nearly 5,000 fans, wow. I went to all the games, and we had a couple of good players, not like the team we have now.
    There were only a few aluminum bleachers, and the fans were typically players’ friends and girlfriends.
    I usually stood the whole game down the 1st base line.

• secrick
      10:53 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

What year was that. Just Kidding.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

1919, and the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series.

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Say it ain’t so, Joe. 🙂

14. J-Dub421
    11:05 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Why do some fans continue to clamor for Gunnar Hoak like he’s the second coming of Tom Brady? Hoak couldn’t beat out Drew Barker (bad back) or Stephen Johnson (2 bad shoulders and a bad knee) last season. That pretty much tells me all I need to know.

• JerryDamage
      11:06 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I agree with that. I think they are giving him an honest chance at it, but I have a hard time seeing him get it over Terry Touchdown. Hopefully Terry is as good as they’ve said.

• Realme
      11:09 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

If Hoak had a legit shot at it, they probably wouldn’t have just Terry front & center in all the publicity.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

They didn’t bring TT in to sit on the bench.

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m trusting the coaching staff to figure out the QB situation. The media are always focused on the new and exciting choice, so they talk up TT like he’s the next RG3. Meanwhile, the fans assume the coaches are also on the TT hype train. I think it will just work out the way it works out, but I would agree that TT will be given every opportunity to succeed.

• ClutchCargo
      11:26 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Also, our fans have an unreasonable expectation that (insert favorite benchwarmer’s name) deserves to play now. It doesn’t work that way, especially football.

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

And my perfectly innocuous comment gets moderated. Sigh.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

They should just get rid of the moderation thing; it doesn’t prevent truly offensive comments. I notice that the UL site obviously doesn’t have a filter…the comments there get pretty nasty. And we get some here that are just vulgar.

15. Realme
    11:08 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I expect them to go, but I really appreciate that Kevin and Shai are taking their decisions so seriously. Nothing worse than when a player comes across like he can’t wait to leave, like that guy at Arizona.

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I think Ayton at Arizona see the handwriting on the wall that the FBI is going to lower the boom on Sweaty Sean.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I think that any Arizona player can be forgiven for wanting to get out of there asap.

• Realme
      11:38 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Well, there are other examples of players not getting out of the post game locker room without announcing they’re leaving. I just picked what came to mind first.

• ClutchCargo
      11:49 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I agree, Realme. Those two seem to really have their heads screwed on straight. We are lucky to have them, and they are lucky to have a coach who will be honest with them.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

So this afternoon I get to go to the doctor and get some kind of stuff injected into my knee that is supposed to make it work smoother. Kind of like a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil. Apparently one of the ingredients is extracted from rooster combs. Odds that I run around crowing later on today? Maybe I will be the first one up tomorrow morning!

• Realme
      11:11 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know what that is, but I had a cortisone shot in my foot and it was like magic. Walking around on a suddenly normal foot? Totally weird. Can jog for the first time in a year. Dreading when it wears off though.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I had the Cortisone injection in the bottom of one of my toes last year, and also had one in my wrist for arthritis. This getting old thing ain’t for sissies!

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Hyaluronic Acid…no side effects; so I don’t think you’ll wake up the neighborhood crowing at dawn…unless all our guys announce they’re coming back, then we’ll all be crowing.

• Realme
      11:14 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I figure as long as I act immature I’m young, lol.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully I won’t be gimpy from it. Have to run a practice tonight and have a tournament on Sunday.

Might be time to invest in a riding mower. Have always cut my 1.2 acres with a manly 52 inch commercial walk-behind. I figured I needed all the exercise I can get. If I get a rider with a beer holder, it’s all downhill from there.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

LOL, how did you know about my Ferris rider with the beer holder?

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

rg, did you nickname your Ferris mower “Bueller”? 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Wow, you are psychic.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

My dad always says getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative…

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

RCF, just get a sulky to ride along behind the walk-behind. Problem solved!

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, where would I put the beer holder? 🙂 ( I guess I could just ask her to walk along beside me.) 😀

17. Realme
    11:17 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Booing an unpaid college player is totally wrong. Now pros playing badly, have at it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I have never booed players or coaches…refs on the other hand.

• Realme
      11:37 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Love a good ref boo.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I can’t get into booing any player on the team I’m cheering for. Opposing players and officials, that’s a different story.

18. secrick
    11:19 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m not getting to excited about any Quarterback. I thought Barker was going to be great and several others that seem to go down hill when that came to Ky. But i hope he is GREAT.

19. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Since Matt is talking about anonymity making people bolder, have you noticed that about 80% of the time that you have an asshole driver riding your bumper when you are going 83 MPH with the traffic, they have dark tinted windows so no one can see them?

• J-Dub421
      11:34 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

No, but I usually notice that they have a U of L license plate.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, in that case the tinted windows probably serve the purpose of hiding the blunt that they are smoking and the bottle of Crown Royal that they are swilling. 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Can you believe that Kansas State player was allowed to stay on the team, and actually played, after that shooting incident? I can’t.

• J-Dub421
      11:48 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I can. Look at Kansas. What ever came of the rape in the players’ dorm? Multiple Kansas players have gotten busted taking money, or had other nefarious issues, and nothing ever happens. Why should K-State be any different. Michigan State has been sweeping sexual assault under the rug for years, same with Baylor and Florida State.

20. JerryDamage
    11:49 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Ricochet is one of the best wrestlers on the planet. He’s had one of the best matches I’ve ever seen against Will Ospreay in Japan.

21. King Kelly Coleman
    11:49 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Randy Macho Man Savage was not from KY. He was born in Columbus, OH. Miss Elizabeth was from Frankfort and not Lexington.

• JerryDamage
      12:01 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Macho Man was from all over the place. He traveled a lot with his dad when he was trying to get stuff set up with various promotions.

Also Macho Man was one bad bad man. There was a story about when he was in Memphis that he and Bill Dundee got into it and had a fight in the parking lot. Dundee went to his car to get a gun and Savage followed him. He pointed it at Savage and Savage took it from him and pistol whipped him. Put him out of action for 6 weeks as a result.

22. runningunnin.454
    11:55 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Next to LAST?

23. JerryDamage
    1:45 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

OOOOOHHHH gimme an L, gimme an A, gimme an S, gimme a T. What’s that spell?

LAST!