More backup options emerge for the 2015 recruiting class

Dazon Ingram (left), Mike Thorne (center), and Jamal Murray (right)

Last night, Matt told you how wide open the remainder of UK’s 2015 recruiting class is. The Cats could get a handful of elite prospects, or they could strike out on all of them. Just in case the latter happens, the staff has reached out to several off-the-radar recruits in the past week, including Dazon Ingram (left), Mike Thorne (center), and Jamal Murray (right). Drew will have an in-depth profile of each of these guys for you later tonight, but for now, here are the CliffsNotes…

Dazon Ingram is a 6’5″ shooting guard from Alabama who was formerly committed to the Crimson Tide until reopening his recruitment on March 16. Ingram, considered the 50th best shooting guard in his class, tweeted that he talked to John Calipari on Saturday and has now delayed his decision, which was set for today.

Mike Thorne is a graduate transfer from Charlotte with several suitors, including Kentucky, Kansas, Pitt, and Illinois. A North Carolina native, the 6’11” 270 lbs. big man would be an excellent backup option if the Cats strike out with Stephen Zimmerman, Cheick Diallo, and Thon Maker. Similarly, a few months ago, Kentucky reached out to Greek big man Georgios Papagiannis. St. John’s, Temple, Oregon, NC State, and UConn are also interested in the 7’1″ Papagiannis, who will reportedly make his decision in June, according to ZagsBlog. St. John’s (whose staff now includes Slice) is planning to travel to Greece to see him before then.

Jamal Murray is a four-star shooting guard from Toronto that was one of the major standouts this weekend at the Nike Hoop Summit. On Saturday, Murray posted a game-high 30 points and five assists for the World Team, which was enough to pique John Calipari’s interest.

“Kentucky has been in contact before but has reached out more so after Saturday’s game,” Murray told ESPN Insider’s Paul Biancardi.

Duke, Oregon, Michigan State, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri are also interested in Murray.

#InCalWeTrust

17 Comments for More backup options emerge for the 2015 recruiting class

1. reedwizard
    2:10 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Murray…I’ll take him over all of the uncommitted 5 stars. He was a dead on shooter and drove to the basket like he was born to do it in the Nike Hoop Summit. Wow, what a player…I’d pass on these other two. We need one more big guy that can play and a small forward.

2. BBallin23
    2:29 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Murray is far from a “backup option”. Ill take him over any recruit left, hes that good

3. beaudiddy
    2:39 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

In other words, this upcoming class is gonna be a flop. Cats will get beat 12+ games next season and be a 10 seed. If we make the tournament.

• Catsby80
      2:42 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

easy, champ. it’s mid-April and you’re already calling your shot? might want to wait until the class assembles before you go throwing out predictions like that…

• catsincebirth
      2:48 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see any team led by Tyler Ullis losing 12+ games. It may just be more of a ‘traditional’ rotation of 7 players instead of platoons and 9 guys getting 20 minutes or so.

• ukbradstith
      3:09 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Number one point guard, number one center. You start any class with the top two at their positions you don’t have a flop of a class. The class as it is right now would be bettar than any class Tubby or Billy G ever had

• PhilUK18
      3:15 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Not really. As Brad mentioned, we do still have the top 2 players at their position for 2/5 spots on the floor. I also find it VERY unlikely that Cal misses out on the rest of the stars from this class. We might end up with fewer of them than we’re accustomed to, but it’ll still be a great group.

• beaudiddy
      6:02 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Im still pissed about the loss in the ff. A lot of “could’ve & should’ve” going on in my mind.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:12 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Troll is trolling. I wonder how he feels being 1-7 vs Cal?

4. TJY
    2:44 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

I also like Murray and was impressed by him on Sat. I would love to see Newman or Brown in the UK colors next year but I assume we lost Diallo when we lost slice.

If we don’t get any of the 5 stars, I guess we will have to deal with Briscoe and Skal averaging 18-20 points a game and Ullis, Lee, Willis and Hawkins filling in the rest. I honestly don’t know why Thorne would come here to come off of the bench when he may be able to start somewhere else.

5. American Errorist
    3:01 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

I’ll never count out Cal but this does have the smell of the nerlens year all over.

• ukbradstith
      3:11 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

That year we had a Top 1 or 2 class depending on which site you looked at. Our problem was instability at the point guard spot, and Wiltjer didn’t shoot the ball well all year. We wont have point guard problems next year.

• PhilUK18
      3:16 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Not sure I would be willing to go that far yet. Plus, had Nerlens not gotten hurt, that team would have at least made the tournament and possibly done a decent job in such a weak year for bball.

• American Errorist
      3:20 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Very true about the PG play. The thing is to me losing 7 players off a team is never a good thing and I’m not expecting next years team to do what this years team did but I’m not so sure we can really be a threat taking 5th year transfers and alabama decommits only. Here’s hoping we net two of Newman/Ingram/brown/Zimmerman.

• Catsby80
      3:26 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

I appreciate what you’re saying A.E. but we have a great returning point guard plus 3 top 50 guys already coming in with a handful of maybes out there. Lets just wait and see what happens with those other guys before we start panicking. I feel good with Ulis running the point tho.

6. Rise
    3:25 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

Who will be the walk on GPA boosters for next year? Serious question.

• ClutchCargo
      4:24 pm April 13, 2015 Permalink

APR is the metric that actually matters, and GPA isn’t a factor in that as long as guys are on track to graduate.