Mookie Betts’ Wednesday Morning Wakeup

Watching baseball still ranks right above watching paint dry and getting waterboarded on the list of things I enjoy doing with my free time, but I must admit, I’m a big fan of Red Sox centerfielder Mookie Betts after last night’s error.

Betts got his glove on a ball struck by Jose Abreu, then hurdled the wall and dropped the ball, resulting in a two-run homer. It’s the type of play that brings some life back to the sport and one I would like to see more often. 99 percent of baseball highlights look the same to me, but this one falls in that one percent, which is why I’m giving it some love this morning.

See for yourself…

Okay. That’s enough baseball for the month.

Kobe Smith to decide today.

Three-star defensive tackle Kobe Smith will decide between Kentucky, Miami and NC State tonight. The former NC State commit is expected to pick the Wildcats, so buckle up for yet another Yahtzee for the UK football program.

The nation’s 44th ranked defensive tackle, Smith committed to NC State back in May and then decommitted while at a Kentucky football camp earlier this month. He will become Mark Stoops’ 21st commitment in the 2016 class before the day is over.

The dice are so hot right now.

Kentucky’s 2017 class is ranked 9th in the country.

After scoring four commits in the span of 24 hours, the 2017 class is ranked in the top 10 nationally. Half of the country’s last six commitments from the class were to the University of Kentucky:

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 7.42.29 AM

Again, those dice are hot right now. Marrow has the hot hand.

Kash Daniel will graduate high school early and enroll at UK.

Big news from one of UK’s biggest 2016 commits: Kash Daniel announced last night he will graduate from Paintsville early so he can be on campus in Lexington in January. Early enrollees get a huge head start on their fellow freshmen by participating in spring ball, so this is exciting news for a player with high expectations.

Three-star linebacker Brock Miller will announce Thursday.

Will we see SIX Yahtzees this week???? Miller is down to Cal, Kentucky, NC State, Virginia and Virginia Tech, although Kentucky and Virginia Tech stand out among the rest.

Miller is the No. 77 outside linebacker in the class.

Need Kent Bulle to go low in the Kentucky Open today.

I walked with Kent on the hottest day in the history of humanity at the Kentucky Open yesterday and he played pretty well, but can do much better. He tees off at 1:55 pm today and I’ve got him at about a 65 for today’s round. If he can go low, we’re going to be getting rowdy tomorrow afternoon in the final round as he goes for the trophy. Lessssggggoooooooo.

A few spot remaining in next week’s Big Brothers Big Sisters golf scramble.

Speaking of golf, you still have time to sign up to lose to my team in next Thursday’s Big Brothers Big Sisters golf scramble out at Keene Run. There are about 30 of 40 teams registered so you can still get in there if you hurry.

Saul Good will provide lunch at the Golf ‘Fore’ Kids scramble, plus beer all day, hole prizes, a cocktail reception, silent auction, live music and an awards ceremony where you can pick up your second place trophy. Get signed up here.

KSR is in Benton today.

See you in a couple hours, Kennedy’s Fan Shop!

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Mookie Betts’ Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. Linds Shnitz
    8:35 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Sure is great w
    Hen w
    E id

2. CatDragon
    9:20 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

So I’m a little confused on something, but I’m probably just misinformed. Why do we say Yahtzee when we get a 3 star commit who’s choice of schools aren’t even people we play? I mean, I would understand it if we stole a commit from another SEC school, but if it’s some guy being recruited by ACC schools… it isn’t that big of a Yahtzee for us is it? Plus, we would never yahtzee for a 3 star recruit in basketball, but then again, I’m still not sure why we are using yahtzee. Can someone inform me?

• Dixon Cider
      9:27 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t think we need officials rules or criteria. Just roll with it.

• J-Dub421
      9:29 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

One of the assistant coaches (I think it was Chad Scott) started the yahtzee trend when we’d get a commitment from a recruit. The recruits seemed to like it and it stuck.

• 3 fan
      10:37 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Seriously? You realize that the ACC is full of schools that would beat us and are beating us on the field, like Florida St., Clemson, even UL.

• CatDragon
      10:42 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Okay, so it’s basically trend. That’s cool.

I understand that the ACC is full of great schools, but the thing is we don’t play any of them besides Louisville. Generally when recruiting, I would think you would want to recruit against your conference as well (which I would understand to be tough for us since the SEC has some great schools).

• android guy
      11:02 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Like the internet, UK’s Yahtzees should remain forever free of regulation!

3. DREWBLUE
    9:24 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Funny, Baseball is boring, yet you are a soccer fan. Also, walking a golf course to watch spoiled rich boys hit a golf ball every 5 minutes must be enthralling.
    Still love you, man.

• d
      9:57 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

also, what highlights is he watching? That mookie play was kinda cool, but not a top 10 highlight of this season. Ben Revere has 5 more impressive plays this year alone

• CatsBy80
      10:00 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Funny. I’m neither rich, nor spoiled, yet I enjoy golf. No need to generalize, guy.

• Hamburgers
      10:02 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

If you think soccer is more boring than baseball then you’re a fool. Baseball and american football are both over 50% dead ball no action. Soccer is over 90% live action. Low scoring does not mean that its not entertaining.

• Doug Pelfrey's Facemask
      10:25 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

I guess that depends on how you define “live action”. Just because the clock is running and the ball is in play does not mean there is much live action in soccer. Hockey has legitimate 60 minutes of live action, but most don’t care for it.

• CatsBy80
      10:35 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Bingo, Doug. I played baseball, and love the game; but, hockey is the sport that maintains constant action. You’re talking about skating at around 25 mph while controlling a puck, and being able to rip a shot at 100+ mph.. Pretty impressive.

4. hater
    10:18 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Michael Jordan tried and failed at baseball. Just sayin.

• Mike
      12:37 pm July 29, 2015 Permalink

Ha. I’m not sure what your point is, but I guarantee MJ had more success trying baseball than Babe Ruth would have had trying basketball.

5. hater
    10:20 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

It is my belief that baseball is losing interest among today’s fans because it is more difficult to gamble on.

6. Stevem
    10:38 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Why wasn’t that a catch? He caught the ball ran two steps before going over the wall. What constitutes a catch?

7. 3 fan
    10:38 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Nothing is worse to watch that soccer. The game sucks

8. Kyblue34
    10:39 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

I’m just waiting for the creators of the Yahtzee game to start asking UK for royalties! 🙂

9. katmandue2you
    1:18 pm July 29, 2015 Permalink

Drew baseball is a thinking man’s game! Could this be your aversion??? Just sayin Bro!!!