Monday Night News and Views

uofl-fan

Tis the season to talk trash to Louisville fans!

Christmas will cut into our Louisville hate a little this week, but don’t worry, we’ll have plenty to say tomorrow and in the days ahead about the upcoming game. You do your part at home, too, by reminding every Louisville fan you cross that Saturday’s game will be a UK win. If you don’t cross any Louisville fans this week, well, you win. I hope to do the same in Madisonville. (El Bracero tomorrow night LETS GO.)

Tonight, we have some football talk and a few basketball nuggets to hold us over until the pre-UofL news really picks up. I’m running the ship here tomorrow and I’ll make sure there’s plenty to say about Ricky P and the Cards. Until then, here’s this…

Mark Stoops met with the media Monday morning.

Stoops made his first non-KSR media appearance Monday morning to talk offseason football and his new hire. A lot of what he said was what we heard last week on the radio, but he was able to elaborate on Shannon Dawson since the hire is now official. He said:

Could not be more happy with that hire. I think the more and more research I did, the more and more I talked to him, it was evident that he was exactly what we’re looking for here at Kentucky to lead our offense. Very, very proud to have him. I know quite a few people that have crossed paths with Shannon, both defensively and guys that have worked with him, guys that I know and trust an awful lot in this business, guys that I believe in and know, are very close to, and everybody had nothing but great things to say about Shannon. I also think it’s kind of unique that some of his roots go back to Coach (Hal) Mumme in the days of ‑‑ it all goes back, right? ‑‑ I didn’t even really realize that until we were far into the process, but I think it is kind of unique that what I’m looking for and what we’re trying to be here offensively, a lot of it does tie into the culture and to the history of this program. Very proud to have Shannon.

Stoops also said he’s not ready to define the offense as Air Raid. Things evolve constantly and he doesn’t want to use labels.

But can we keep the sirens?

Watch the December football press conference below:

Devin Booker named SEC Freshman of the Week.

Booker’s hot hand against UCLA earned him Freshman of the Week honors, marking the fourth time the imaginary trophy has gone to Lexington this season. Booker scored a career-high tying 19 points with a career-high tying five three-pointers in only 16 minutes of action in Chicago. The five threes came on just six attempts, making it 8-of-9 from deep in his last two games.

Trey Lyles and Karl Towns have also earned the SEC Freshman of the Week award, with Towns bringing it home in back-to-back weeks before Booker.

Kansas lost to Temple by 25.

Things were going great for No. 10 Kansas since getting demolished by the Cats in Indianapolis, then came tonight’s game against Temple in Philadelphia. The unranked Owls ended the Jayhawks’ eight-game win streak with a 77-52 whoopin’ in the Wells Fargo Center. A trio of Temple guards outscored Kansas with 54 points of their own.

Kansas had wins over Tennessee, Georgetown, Michigan State and Utah prior to its embarrassing loss to Temple.

John Wall really likes this hat.

It says, “I’m hear to party but I don’t want to get any rain on my face.”

Jeff Goodman explained why Kentucky won’t go undefeated.

“I’m not buying it,” Goodman writes.

He predicts Kentucky will lose at least one conference game, even if it survives this Saturday’s game in Louisville.

This sucker punch in the Memphis-BYU brawl is vicious.

BYU’s Kai Nacua threw the sucker punch of all sucker punches on an unsuspecting Memphis player after the game:

Unfortunatley for Nacua, he picked the wrong guy because the guy he hit was doing this before the game:

Which explains why Nacua now looks like this:

Moral of the story: Don’t sucker punch the guy who head-butts his teammates without a helmet.

Ryan Timmons likely to miss spring practice.

Surgeries on his shoulder and ankle will likely keep Ryan Timmons out of spring football. Stoops also expects to be without Regie Meant, Fred Tiller and Charles Walker when practice picks up in the spring.

This criminal from Hazard would like to remind you it’s not illegal unless you get caught:

And that’ll do it for tonight.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Monday Night News and Views

1. tonyroma47
    11:16 pm December 22, 2014 Permalink

The moral of the story sounds like a good ending to a DirectTV commercial.

2. Casper
    1:44 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Booker, Player of the Week. Not just freshman. SEC is silly. By the way who got National Player or Frosh of the week?

3. msnthrop
    5:16 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

“I’m hear to party”?

4. RexRox
    8:07 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

I brought this up in another thread but since it’s loserville week, it deserves another run …

Question … If you could get a prop bet in Vegas of 2 1/2 as the over/under for the number of players in Saturday’s game who will be drafted before “Pre-Season First-Team All-American” Harrell, which side do you take?

5. Catsby80
    8:58 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

I was listening to ESPN radio in Louisville this morning and they had an odds maker from Bovada call into the show. He was saying that as of right now the line for the UK/UL game would be UK -2.5… What do you all think about that? I was thinking 5.5 would be a good opening line. Wanted to get the thoughts of my brethren. Thoughts?

• CATandMONKEY
      9:14 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

I will take 2.5 all day long. Heck, would take us to cover at 5 1/2.

Also see no reason why we should stop winning by double-digits but the Cards may be able to hang in the 9-12 point neighborhood.

• RexRox
      9:16 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m all over a -2.5. I may look foolish later but I just have a gut feeling that Louisville is a tad overrated. Once Ohio State’s freshmen settled down and lost that ‘deer in the headlights’ look, they outplayed them the rest of the way.

I can’t believe it when I hear some of the talking heads say that Louisville wants to speed Kentucky up. I’m sitting there thinking “PLEASE DO!” I think Pitino knows better. The only way Louisville wins is if the Cats were to come out flat, and Cal will NOT let that happen.

• Catsby80
      10:12 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

CATandMONKEY… yeah i think that 9-12 point area is probably pretty spot on but I don’t think Vegas would dabble in that territory. I was saying that I think it should open around 5.5 and then probably get bet into the 6.5 range. I’m not sure I see UofL keeping it to a 6 point game, but what the hell do I know? I’m just a biased UK fan who thinks UofL is maybe a bit overrated. If you get Harrell in foul trouble, they become incredibly beatable on the post.

RexRox… no i’m totally with you on the “may look foolish” because I 100% think we will cover that. I mean if UK wins this game, I see us winning by more than 2 points… All these idiots that sit behind a mic and spew garbage have zero accountability and they just do it to stir controversy. don’t take the bait haha! but you’re absolutely right about speeding the game up. we play so much better when we get in transition. Pitino doesn’t want those problems. I think if we get into a half court situation, we just have to drive right into Harrell’s chest and get him foul trouble. if we can do that, then I think the game could get into the double figure range. If Harrell plays 32-35 minutes (which he has to do for them to have a chance to win), then we might be talking single digits, but I still think that 2.5 is way low. I have been wrong before, though.

• RexRox
      10:38 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Where I really put myself out there (and again, at the risk of looking VERY delusional) is I just don’t think Harrell is that good. I think he puts up big numbers and thunderous dunks against smaller, more timid teams. I believe UK is the ultimate ‘anti-Harrell’ team. He’ll get a couple of dunks and a few rebounds but he can’t create his own shots against a team like UK. Since the Minnesota game, he is 1 of 15 on three-pointers and 26 of 49 on free throws. I just think this guy is all hype. Their guards are more worrisome than he is.

• Catsby80
      11:25 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

RexRox.. I think Harrell is a good athlete, but if you get him 10 feet away from the basket, he really doesn’t concern me. I, too, think he will get his dunks. The key is that we cannot let him get too many rim-rackers and those line-bearded, crown royal drinking, fools get too animated. I think a big key for us is going to be controlling the game. If we can control the flow of the game and play our style, without getting caught up in all of their shenanigans, then I think we will be just fine. I’m not sold on their guards just yet. Rozier is good but I think Ulis will be on him like white on rice. Ulis is so quick and plays velcro defense – I love it. My next statement won’t come as earth shattering insight, but if Booker and/or Aa Harrison get in a groove… Oh my. If we can knock down 5 threes, I like our chances big time.

6. 25OR624
    10:30 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Montrezzl is very thankful for the MEMPHIS & BYU Brawl. That drew much attention away from him. My hope is the CATS and CARDS don’t jaw and fight. I can certainly see Pitino directing his guys to entice a riot with disorder on the court.

7. KevininLoveland
    11:43 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Entice a riot… Incite maybe?