Monday Morning Wake-Up: What’s Ahead For The Week

Good morning, Kentucky-Sports-Radio-dot-com readers.

Like many of you, I spent my weekend watching college basketball and Stormy Daniels — mostly college basketball, though. It was a little hard to watch considering our beloved Wildcats bowed out early, but, like a good Stormy Daniels flick, we kept watching the action, wishing we were a part of it and not at home on the couch.

Good news for the week ahead, though: there is some exciting basketball to watch outside of March Madness, and it begins today. I’ll tell you all about that and what else is on tap for the week ahead in this Monday morning edition of your KSR Wake-Up…

The Final Four is set.

And Duke is not in it. Thank God.

San Antonio will instead get (1) Kansas out of the Midwest; (1) Villanova out of the East; (3) Michigan out of the West; and (11) Loyola-Chicago out of the South, where all hell broke loose on Day 1 of the tournament. If we’re ranking the four remaining teams in order of who to pull for, I think the Fightin’ Sister Jeans are the obvious pick for fan favorite, followed by Michigan and Villanova in whatever order you prefer, and then Kansas running last.

Villanova is the favorite out in Las Vegas with opening odds of:

Villanova: +145
Kansas: +185
Michigan: +250
Loyola-Chicago: +900

Go Ramblers!

McDonald’s All-American festivities begin today.

KSR’s own Nick Roush is down in Atlanta for the 2018 McDonald’s All-American game, which of course features two future Kentucky Wildcats in Immanuel Quickley and Keldon Johnson. We will have plenty of coverage from the practices and interviews today and tomorrow, and then the actual game will be played Wednesday night at 7 pm. It will air on ESPN, so clear your schedule or set your DVR for that one.

The Powerade Jam Fest will air tonight.

To get you ready for Wednesday’s McDonald’s game, ESPN 2 will air the Powerade Jam Fest tonight at 8 pm.

Immanuel Quickley will participate in the Boys’ Three-Point contest, against Cameron Reddish (Duke) and Jahvon Quinerly (Villanova).

Keldon Johnson will be among the eight contestants in the Dunk Contest, although all eyes will be on Zion Williamson in that one.

Johnson will also play in the Legends and Stars Shootout.

ESPN 2. 8 o’clock. Tonight.

Tubby Smith is going to High Point.

As predicted on Kentucky Sports Radio some two weeks ago, Tubby Smith’s next coaching job will be at High Point, his alma mater. Part 2 of that prediction is G.G. Smith, Tubby’s son, will join the staff as an assistant and eventually take over the job once Tubby steps down. You heard it here, folks.

UK’s Spring Football Practice continues this week.

We won’t have any updates for you today, but there will be plenty of football talk later on in the week as the Cats return to practice for the second of four straight weeks after spring break, leading up to the spring game on April 13.

ICYMI: Politico released its story on Matt Jones.

“This Liberal Sports Radio Host Thinks He Can Take Down Mitch McConnell”

I did a 52-minute interview with the author while sitting in the parking lot of a Kroger and not a single one of my quotes made the final cut. Other than that, it’s a pretty good look into Matt’s political aspirations and his haircut.

Kentucky Baseball beat No. 9 Auburn.

The Cats won the three-game series against ninth-ranked Auburn, 2-1, by winning the second game of Sunday’s double-header, 13-3. Tristan Pompey was the star Sunday night with four hits, five RBI and one home run in the victory.

It marked the second series over a top-10 team in the last three weekends. Nick Mingione should be fired up during his Monday Motivation on KSR today.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Monday Morning Wake-Up: What’s Ahead For The Week

1. MACDADDY
    9:05 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

That Stormy Daniels line made me laugh

2. Chacosrule
    9:15 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I asked 4 of my constitution-loving, non liberal friends who would get their vote between Matt and the turtle. These are 4 dudes who despise Obama (and Trump). All of us said Matt gets our vote. He’s anti establishment and has alot of good ideas. And we had already sworn to never vote McConnell again, even if he’s running against Satan or Voldemort. So that helps.

3. RealCatsFan
    9:41 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I posted this on a couple of other threads, but I was so entertained by it, I have to put it out there again. I thought UK was the only program with fans like this! 🙂

“Coach K is an idiot. Keep throwing the ball around the perimeter. Forget Bagley. Forget Carter. Forget Allen is in a slump. Forget Duval is a second rate point guard. Duval needs another year before he should start.

Poor coaching. Work the one and dones next year. Fail again. Then retire, coach K. The game has passed you by.

This from a Duke alum that attended Duke when he used to coach. Just a lack of coaching. It gets worse every year, with a bench of assistant coaches that know nothing but what Coach K has taught them. They bring nothing to the table.”

And before you call me a “Cal apologist” or whatever, I have stated many times that I don’t agree with everything he does. I agree that there needs to be at least a couple of upperclassmen with some talent mixed in to settle them down. This year’s team was simply way too young, and Cal knows that and readily admits it. He had several players that I think he was counting on to hang around and provide experience and leadership (Matthews being one of them). He needs to figure out a way to keep players like this around while still bringing in some high end talent for a year or two. But there is not another coach out there who can handle the fishbowl of UK basketball better than Cal, IMO.

• henderblue
      9:57 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for that RCF. That Duke fan that posted that may have been DukeDirtDevil who goes by the name syrin23 on KSR website. Or BigBlueDevilDude who we all know as Slater

4. Duuuuuude
    9:45 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

You could just stop reading this post after the first paragraph! Hilarious!

5. smahurin
    9:46 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I just want to point out to all the Cal naysayers out there who rag on Cal for bringing in top talent and “only” getting to a final four every other year with 1 title… Duke has had the most talented team in basketball two years in a row. And I think you could argue the duke teams from last year and this year were among the 3-4 most talented teams over the past decade.

Coach K lost in the second round and elite 8 with that talent.

In a single elimination style tournament, crazy things can and will happen. We all want UK to win it all every year. But I hope this helps put things into perspective a little for some. Just because a team/program is talented, doesn’t guarantee anything.

6. BlueCamo
    9:54 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I think Matt could pull a lot of votes but he needs to change his stance on abortion. Abortion is one of the most evil things a person can do/support and it doesn’t lineup with the values of people here in KY. You can try to spin it anyway that makes you feel better but deep down everyone knows what abortion really is. Change your stance to pro-life and commit to that change. Then you would get my vote.

• Mathlete
      10:01 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

You can simultaneously be anti-abortion and pro-choice, it’s a stance I’ve personally held for a long time. I would never encourage anyone to get one, I would never want any woman I had conceived with to get one, but I understand there are circumstances that would cause someone else to want/need one and don’t want to take away their option just because of what I would want for myself.

• wesmorgan1
      10:17 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

“Pro-life” SHOULD mean “pro-full-lifespan.” I have found that many, if not most, persons who identify themselves as “pro-life” don’t support things like food assistance, job retraining, health insurance for kids, Medicare/Medicaid, and all the other needs that (for some) come around during a full lifespan.

If you’re anti-abortion but don’t support those other things, you’re not “pro-life” – you’re “pro-forced-birth.”

If you’re anti-abortion, but DO support those other things, I’ll disagree while respecting your consistency.

• John Henry
      10:22 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Abortion is murder, pure and simple Watch a video of one and tell me if this is what our government should allow and support. . Abort an animal and you face going to jail. This is one of the reasons I will never vote for a Democrat again. The Democrat party is controlled by abortionist and if you do not toe the party line, you get no support. Matt Jones is a liberal and proud of it and you don’t graduate from Duke law school unless you are one. So we know what Jones stands for. Now to Mitch, I have as little respect for his political views as Matt Jones. Which means zero.

Thankfully I will not be able to vote for either one as I live in another state and we have a liberal Democrat we are going to get rid of. Life is good.

7. Booby Petrino
    10:01 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I don’t like Matt or Mitch…can we get another option?

• Mathlete
      10:10 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

You could run? I’m assuming you like yourself well enough to vote for you

• Booby Petrino
      10:34 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I like myself enough to not want to be a political punching bag. Pass.

• Mathlete
      11:22 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

Fair point, can’t say I blame you. Part of the problem with government getting progressively less competent is that smart people don’t want the job and won’t run for it

8. UKfanforlife
    3:06 pm March 26, 2018 Permalink

If my choices are Matt ( a flaming liberal ) or anybody else who even pretends to be conservative, I will vote for anybody but Matt.

The guy struck gold with the UK niche market. That does not make him fit to be elected to public office. Just seeing some of the (to be kind) stuff that he has thrown around on this site and on his tv show, I wouldn’t support him for dog catcher.

He has told us that he used to be an attorney, but he isn’t smart enough to stay out of politics. Things that make you go hmm.