Mohammad Ali is in the Hospital

ali-knockout

The Louisville Lip, The Greatest of All Time, The People’s Champion Muhammad Ali has been hospitalized.  A spokesman for the family released this statement to reassure that he is in fair condition.

“Ali, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease, is being treated by his team of doctors and is in fair condition,” wrote family spokesman Bob Gunnell in a written statement.  “A brief hospital stay is expected. At this time, the Muhammad Ali family respectfully requests privacy.”

The 74-year old former heavyweight champion has seen much better days.  Even though I wasn’t around when he was at his best, I like to remember him as the person that invented trash talking.

w

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

24 Comments for Mohammad Ali is in the Hospital

1. Go Deep
    3:04 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

I just realized that Muhammad Ali is a mix between Boogie and Charles Barkley. Think about it.

• Megan
      3:20 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

I was going to mention Barkley. Outspoken, a little shocking, funny, entertaining, honest. It’s hard not to develop a fondness.

2. Sticky Ceiling
    3:08 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

I found a 1975 Herald Leader with the Thrilla in Manili front page at the Peddler’s Mall last week, pretty cool find. That is all.

• Sticky Ceiling
      3:08 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Manila*

3. RICKSVD
    3:09 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Wife beater, draft dodger, all around d blow hard. Don’t see the fascination.

4. Kizzy
    3:14 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Muhammad Ali wasn’t my champion. Draft dodger, hated white folks, although I will say it WAS probably hard being Black in America in those days….no excuses now. I liked his style of boxing but an overwhelming majority wanted Joe Frazier to break his jaw with a big left hook….he did. I don’t wish any disease, or death, or pain on him but he wasn’t my champion. Joe Louis, Marciano, I liked humble champions.

• lexslamman
      4:54 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

“There they go, There they go, every time I talk about boxing, some white person has to pull Rocky Marciano out their a##”

• BluKudzu
      9:24 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Eddie Murphy knows boxing and barbering. Joe Louis came out of retirement to fight, he was 76 years old at the time.

Come on moderator, unleash the comment

5. Megan
    3:18 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Has anyone seen the Porsche 911 commercial in which Ali fights himself? Very cool. Body double, digitized face, and a few signature mannerisms (although these versions seem to have forgotten how to slip a punch).

Certainly the most skilled heavyweight who ever lived. A thing of beauty inside the ring. And now beloved outside of it.

6. Kelkat
    3:43 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Um…It’s Muhammad…not Mohammad…

• RealCatsFan
      5:41 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Doh!

7. Sarahvah
    3:53 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

All these people saying draft dodger but probably also Trump supporters lol

• UK Big Board Update
      4:47 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

You beat me to it….

• RealCatsFan
      5:57 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

I think we have a winner here… ^^^

8. Megan
    4:01 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

There’s always someone who hates incredibly popular figures, who are quick to dismiss the best who’ve ever been, who can’t separate what someone did in the public arena with something plucked from their personal lives. (Jesus? Instigator. Supported that whore.)

I assume these haters are old, bitter white men who see their majority slipping away and who spend what little time they have left on his planet bitching about everything they can. But that’s just a guess. (Mantle? Souse. Beatles? Drug criminals. Wilt? Played against a bunch of little white guys. Secretariat? Doped. Magic? Cheated on his wife. Bird? If he were black, he’d be just another good player. Michael? Gambling addict. Tiger? Please.) Doesn’t matter who you name, haters gonna hate. They just can’t bring themselves to celebrate greatness.

Not your champion, not your president, not your anything. Better get used to it, friend. Your world is shrinking fast.

• Beavis
      4:29 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

What a bunch of dribble. Remember, assumption is the mother of all screw ups and you seem to be the master.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:50 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

LOL. I think you mean “drivel”…

• BBN in H-Town
      4:54 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Your entire “argument” is a fallacious load of drivel. You’re dismissing valid criticisms of Ali, stating they stem from the fact that he is/was a popular figure. Anyone who utilizes the term “hater” has no legitimate point, as it’s a catch-all.

You then resort to some incoherent, racist rant in a pathetic attempt to further repudiate attacks on Ali’s character. You speak of greatness as if it’s a status achievable only on the field, in a ring, on the court, etc. True, Ali was a great boxer. Though it’s convenient for you to overlook the quality of his character and actions outside the ring. You HAVE to, otherwise your entire outlook would be exposed as deceitful.

Do you even have a valid retort? Or are you going to bloviate and pull Larry Bird and Jesus into another illusory speech?

• runningunnin.454
      7:13 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Megan; it could be that which is shrinking is the number of old, bitter, white men that saved this country in WWII, thereby preserving your freedom to speak your mind. You should learn “respect for your elders”.
      And, as far as I can see, the only “bitter” person here is you!

9. RICKSVD
    4:32 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Hitler was great at warfare, you want to honor him? So he was good at beating people’s heads in. As a human, he was crap. I recognize greatness, but I’ll respect and honor greatness when they deserve it. So slapping your wife around gets your respect?

• DelrayCat
      9:42 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

No Hitler wasnt. He lost remember?

10. RealCatsFan
    5:13 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

I kind of had an idea what kind of comments I would see on an article about Ali. The comments section of KSR rarely fails to disappoint. Sometimes it’s better than going to WalMart at 3 AM.

11. Kizzy
    8:39 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

I can pull alot more than Marciano. Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, Tommy Morrison, both Klitchko brothers, Joe calzage. Kovelev, I could go on

• DelrayCat
      9:43 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Haa ha. All white. I like it!