Mitch Barnhart announces #BBNFirst fan initiative

Mitch Barnhart announced a new fan initiative this afternoon called BBN First, a renewed commitment to “the best fans in sports.” In a video announcement, Mitch says that BBN First is founded on three core concepts:

1. We will compete for championships and make our fans proud.
  2. We will provide a first-class game-day experience.
  3. We will create a shared family atmosphere.

The heart of BBN First is a fan experience committee that will strive to provide the BBN with the best fan experience in college sports, “from concessions to promotions to music selection.” (MUSIC SELECTION!!!!!) Mitch wants to hear from you, too. Visit bbnfirst.ukathletics.com to give Mitch and the committee your feedback, or here to read Mitch’s entire letter to the BBN.

52 Comments for Mitch Barnhart announces #BBNFirst fan initiative

1. The music
    2:38 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

should be all David Allan Coe songs, the entire game.

2. Serius
    2:42 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Misses T, I want to give you the D.

would u like to meet up? lmk 😉

3. Josh
    2:43 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

BarnFart is such a loser! Riding on the coattails of Cal. Cal is the only reason he still has a job. Shoulda hired him instead of the billy g debacle. He’s such a poser!

• UKfan
      3:39 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I have met Mitch and I can tell that you haven’t. It isn’t too hard to type derogatory statements when you aren’t held accountable for it. Mitch is someone I would trust administering the entire athletic department without fear of NCAA sanctions. Do tell, how many times has UK been in trouble with NCAA since he has been our athletic director. Do you need me to list how the other sports has also flourished since he has been here?

• ushouldno
      3:56 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Mitch is a good man, he can’t and shouldn’t try to please everyone. I appreciate his work and effort to make UK athletics better in every sport. I was at the Kentucky relays Saturday and the the new track facility is first class in every way.The athletes from the other colleges were amazed at the this beautiful venue. I have been to track meets at many schools in the mid west and south and this is as good as it gets. Keep up the good work Mr. Barnhart.

• classof68
      5:45 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I have never met Barnhart, and he has undoubtedly made some mistakes. But I think he has learned from them and is becoming a better A.D. from his mistakes. The fact that he can coexist with Cal and recognizes his value to UK is major. However, if he’s going to ever make up for the way the athletic department has treated the loyal UK fans over the decades, I will say he has done the impossible. Up ’til now, that outfit could care less about the fans.

4. memphis
    2:45 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

And now let’s bring out the biology department to effectively kill the stadium atmosphere.

5. band geek
    2:47 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

How about we keep the number of times the band plays “Hey, Baby” to under a dozen?

• CATSCATSCATS
      2:52 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

6. The Music Man
    2:49 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I wish they would do away with the “music selection” altogether. Just mic up the band and let them play more than three songs. Maybe then we can stop paying royalties to Rednex?

7. arlo
    2:50 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

sounds great. will there be cloggers?

8. kfund
    2:51 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Wi-fi.

9. RandyB
    2:52 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Is BBN First a knee-jerk to adverse fan reaction to Cal’s PLAYERS First approach?
    Wonder how much of that Barnhart has heard?

10. wildcatmarchingband
    2:56 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

And now, for it’s 8th year in a row, the halftime show featuring a selection of Michael Jackson songs complete with band nerds doing the dance from Thriller!

• Teetim
      5:59 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Actually, the only thing they do that is worth a damn and shows any creativity…

11. clank
    2:56 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Screw the music – flood the suggestion box with requests to put students around the floor of Rupp Arena.

12. CATSCATSCATS
    2:59 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

This is corny as hell. Couldn’t care less about atmosphere mostly b/c we’re all too drunk to notice anyway. Just give us some wins please. And by wins I mean over teams other than Western Kentuc…oh wait.

• WithinReason
      3:18 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Clearly a Louisville fan. Too drunk to notice? Go back to your flight deck and not actually watching the games.

• CATSCATSCATS
      3:40 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

UK alum actually, which more than likely gives me all the more right to be a fan than you. Nice try though. And yes, I drink before football games to drown out the score, see any game in the past 3-4 years. I consider it the job of fans of any team to call it like they see it.

• UKfan
      3:43 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I have been to several UK football games and you resemble a card fan more than a cat fan.

• Funny....
      4:03 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

CATSCATSCATS – For a supposed “UK Alum”, you sure do throw a lot of anti-UK comments up on here. I think you should just change your name to Nancy. Negative Nancy.

13. Ouch
    3:10 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

There are some awfully harsh comments considering ol’ boy is acknowledging us as a fan group and praising how we come out in droves to support our teams… Come on people he just wants to make the game experiences better for us.

14. Duuuuuude
    3:10 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

How about a Wi-Fi system that you log into that also signals fans when to do certain cheers and such to help create a better stadium wide atmosphere…..something that helps lift the team, kinda like Cal’s calls to stand up and make noise at the 8 minute mark of certain games. A system like that has probably not yet been invented yet, but somebody out there make one!

15. J.A.
    3:16 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Can no one recognize this clown act, after two years of laughing at cards for the corniness of L1C4 these idiots want to copy it. SMFH this is a little brother move

• WithinReason
      3:21 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

No this would be exactly the opposite of Louisvilles slogan. Fans first is no different than players first. Its Little Brother who puts the Petty little commuter college first. For example when they give away free beer to get people to show up for games without regard to the safety of the public at large. Or when they get a sweetheart deal on an arena least soon to bankrupt the city, Louisville first… the college not the City, because they don’t care about that.

16. MKG
    3:25 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Wish this initiative applied to KSR as well. I would recommend having an up vote/down vote capability in the comments section. Food for thought…

17. houndstooth
    3:31 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Parking and traffic suck at UK football games- Alumni needs to be 4 lanes- 4 hours before the game you should have a pass to get on Alumni rd. It amazes how they can screw up the traffic each year. Better music would be great, but I wouldn’t count on that happening. More bathrooms and how about a sideways taco. Why not just go to another SEC school and have them show UK how it’s done. Tell Mitch to stop commercializing everything- it would be nice to have a bigger video screen to actually show replays on instead of commercials. An announcer that doesn’t hurt your ears when he talks would be nice also.

18. Mc
    3:39 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

No more “first down…Kentucky”

• UKfan
      3:42 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

No more fans leaving early. Lets call it a compromise.

• inside info
      4:39 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Agree 100%. This was great during the Curry years when we barely made 1 first down a quarter. It is terrible now.

• Do whut?
      5:28 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Plenty of other schools including traditional powers celebrate first downs similarly.

19. jambox
    3:48 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

It’s a tough problem for Mitch when the music many of the players like is music most of the fans hate. I was so annoyed by the blasting rap music that giving up my tickets was not much of a sacrifice.

• UKfan
      3:56 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I agree

• Figured
      4:05 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Both of you: please refer to comment #1, amiright?

• UKfan
      8:42 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

not a fan of David Allan Coe either, or Snoop Dogg, or P. Diddy.

20. pfife
    3:50 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Pretty good video and I like Mitch’s ‘Kentucky’ (not UK) jacket. I don’t care for the music selection inquires. Everytime Georgia comes to CWS, there is music blasting through the stadium on kick-off and kick-off returns………performed by rap artists from Georgia! The Georgia players enjoy it very much and some of our guys get hype to it, but it is a net loss. I never liked the song ‘Cold Hearted Snake’ by Paula Abdul but I hear it at least 3 times a game.

• BluKudzu
      7:59 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I have to say, going to a football game in Athens, Georgia is as good as it gets. I have been to several road games over the years, and that place is the best. The band, the hedges, the stadium, the people, just a wonderful venue for college football on Saturdays. Bulldog fans were very nice, gave us Kentucky Fried Chicken, Kentucky Bourbon, and Kentucky and 12 1/2.
      Seriously, you can get right on the field (behind the hedges) and that is way cool.

21. Dingo
    3:51 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

For the band director, Google the Ohio State Band, then learn what they do. Second, get rid of dancing guy….certainly we can do better. Find the guy who produced the UK Football promo video (with Drew Barker, etal.), and give him a lot of money to create videos for all UK venues…the dude is a genius. Lastly, take all of the 8-Track music recordings you have been using forever, and burn them. It’s time to get with the times.

Go Big Blue!

22. how it should be
    4:05 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Mitch has it right. The fans pay the money which pays the bills. Without the fans’ dollar the basketball program wouldn’t be in a position to be player’s first. Without fan support to football and basketball there wouldn’t be such a thing as athletic scholarships or lucrative coach salaries. Football and basketball would basically be equilavent to intramurals.

23. Steve
    4:19 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Upgrade the band, by whatever means necessary. They have been playing the same repertoire of crap for 30+ years now. Don’t get me wrong, the band is halfway decent. But the SEC has some great bands and there is no reason UK’s shouldn’t be up there with the best.

24. Bojangles
    4:34 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart is one of the biggest d-bags to ever walk the campus of UK and there are quite a few of them, starting with the SAE and Sigma Chi alumni. I mean really….listen to this joker speak. And no…this is not a Louisville fan ‘trolling’, rather someone who has worked with Mitch before.

I’d love to see this a$$clown try and do anything athletic.

• Troll
      4:52 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Someone’s still bitter about not getting a bid

• Yeah, right
      5:37 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Really? Where’d you work with him before or on what project? What happened? Give some specifics. And these questions are coming from someone who doesn’t believe you.

25. Yeah, right
    5:40 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Follow up: forgetting that Mitch is an avid runner why would anyone possibly give a crap if the athletic director has any athletic ability? That was just a strange comment.

• Bojangles
      10:48 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I work for a prominent UK sponsor and Mitch is difficult, stubborn, and fails to listen to several of his sources before making key decisions. Regarding his choice if exercise, please, running doesn’t prove anything. So, yeah, right…try again.

• UKfan
      8:46 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

Because you were not awarded a contract, suddenly he doesn’t listen and he is a d-bag? Sounds like he didn’t like what you had to say…from your post I can see why.

Funny that I have met him when he was first hired and several times afterwards and I never got that impression.

• Bojangles
      12:52 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

UKfan…we secured the contract.

26. Catcard
    7:28 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

BBN 1st?? Lol lol!! Man uofl can’t do anything w/o uk trying t match em!! Lol!! Louisville 1st sounds better tho!! Keep calm uk the twins will b gone soon!!

• BigBlue37
      12:23 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

Still sounds better than L1C4…it’s not like UK fans are going to be shouting BBN First! when they go to games (or out in public). Seriously, do loserville fans think before they open their ignorant mouths? Or are they too hammered from their Styrofoam cups filled with Crown Royal to coherently put a thought into words? Please do America a service and practice safe sex so you don’t reproduce.

27. Josh
    10:14 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

UKfan from 3:39
    Yes, I have met and interacted with Mitch at my time with the university. I am a former employee of the athletic department and a home grown Big Blue fan. He was and always has been a complete jerk to people if he doesn’t know them. This is my personal impression of the man. Who I have witnessed belittling lesser employees in public venues.
    He has made mistakes and done wonders for non-revenue building Olympic sports. But his obvious two largest debacles were with the only two revenue generating sports Football & Men’s Basketball. He wanted to do things “his way” & it didn’t work. The reason his screw ups (“his way”) were corrected was donors and alumni pressure to hire Stoops & Cal. He chose Joker and Billy G. Come on man!I only speak from personal experience…. Not from public perception.

He wanted to scratch My Old Kentucky home from Football??? Seriously??

• UKfan
      8:49 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

It appears that the “jerk” became self-evident from its post above.

28. Josh
    2:56 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

UKfan,

You’re entitled to your opinion, as am I. So, act your age (hopefully you’re an adult) and leave the personal attacks out of the conversation. I do not like the man from my personal experiences. Apparently, you have different experiences. People never get a second chance to make a first impression. That impression just so happen to never change for me. Personally, I was a much bigger fan of C.M. Newton & Larry Ivy. Go Big Blue