Getty Images

Getty Images

With college athletics acting as the catalyst, the state of Mississippi has almost completed the process to remove its state flag that prominently features the Confederate battle emblem.

In the last week of the state’s legislative session, the House and Senate passed the most significant hurdles to remove the state flag. Each chamber of the state’s legislature voted to suspend rules with a two-thirds vote. According to Mississippi Today the bill to remove the current flag and begin the process of adopting a new one will require only simple majorities in both chambers to pass. If passed, the bill calls for a commission to create a new flag design for voters to either reject or approve in November.

The state’s flag since 1894 is not new to controversy. This time calls to take down the flag came from a different source, a college football star player. It’s been six days since Mississippi State All-SEC running back Kylin Hill Tweeted, “Either change the flag or I won’t be representing this State anymore.”

Hill’s remarks came on the heels of an NCAA decision keep all postseason events out of the state until the flag was changed. A few days after Hill’s public remarks, Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin and administrators from all of the state’s secondary institutions traveled to the state capital to lobby for the flag’s removal. (In the midst of all the seriousness, it did produce one hilarious moment.)

College athletes are using their voices like never before to create significant change.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

32 Comments for Mississippi moves one step closer to removing state flag with Confederate battle emblem

1. UKCatAttack
    6:54 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

This is long overdue. The confederate flag is a symbol of racism. I remember students sneaking it to school and the bus back in the 90s and flashing it at black kids and calling them the N-Word. I wish I’d stood up to these kids and told them how wrong they were, but I wasn’t brave enough to say something. I couldn’t imagine being black in Mississippi and seeing this flag waving as a symbol of my state.

• satcheluk
      9:28 pm June 29, 2020 Permalink

Maybe it’s better that you didn’t. I did and I got my azz kicked my racist bullies through Jr high and first couple year of high school before I got good at fighting. Payback we’re fun, but didn’t make up for the years of torture.

• JoeMoney333
      7:16 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Don’t you have a YouTube comment section to post your conspiracy theory links & rants in?

• 4everUKBlue
      8:12 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

You’re a funny guy Joe, now put down your smartphone and look at what’s going on around you, you might be surprised. BTW did you even read the article? Or can you even read?

2. sprtphan
    7:56 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Good. This should resolve all of our racial issues.

3. dhard
    8:10 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Well this should take care of any further race issues.

• Bluebird
      9:35 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Right? The other day I saw some guy picking up litter, and it’s just like, “Hey guy, what are you even doing? Litter’s still gonna exist in the world when you’re done with that.”

4. lizard king
    8:19 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

This is great. Now what will be demanded? A separate black state.

5. DavidP19
    9:34 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Too bad there isn’t a separate state for you and your ilk.

• lizard king
      9:50 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Don’t worry, the way our country is going there will be a lot of separate states. Thanks liberals. And by the way the liberals can have all the cities.

6. jaws2
    9:52 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Lizard they’re already reverting to wanting segregated schools! I’m waiting for the KSR crew to start the rename Rupp Arena parade!!

• T-Town Cat
      10:09 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

You must have missed the day that Matt brought that up.

• TPACAT
      7:08 am June 28, 2020 Permalink

Yep. I missed that day and every other day lately…

7. CrystalBall
    10:31 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

Wait until they ban the southern accent.

8. MississippiBlue
    10:32 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

I grew up in Mississippi, and this is long overdue. The only MS residents who wanted to keep this flag were honestly racist or ill informed on the detriment it caused our state. I’m happy to see this decision, but this comment section saddens me. The state of Kentucky and Mississippi deals with many of the same problems. If you look at this decision as a threat to your way of life you need to look inward and ask what it says about you and your faith.

• lizard king
      11:15 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

It’s not a threat to my life what happens in Mississippi. But when everyone bows down to a group then everyone is threatened.
      All everyone is doing is bowing down to the most racist groups of all, BLM.

9. jaws2
    11:28 pm June 27, 2020 Permalink

T-Towncat I haven’t listened to KSR’s lefty crap for 3 years.

• T-Town Cat
      12:40 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

I still find them entertaining and funny when the show goes off the rails or when Matt has a guest host. It does get old when every day Matt starts the show by saying “We’ve got an lit of UK sports new is to cover today, but first let’s talk about my weekend or my book or something else that interests me”.

10. csnailnrun
    7:19 am June 28, 2020 Permalink

If one says the Confederate flag is offensive and wrong, the fagget flag must be taken down as well.

11. UKFanSC
    7:34 am June 28, 2020 Permalink

The problem with eliminating and renaming offensive symbols is that you might accommodate one element of society at the expense of another. While many find the confederate flag and Confederate monuments offensive, symbolic of racism, others see them as important cultural icons that represent history. I’m not sure we will ever close that gap. Some of these things are easily condemned, but where do you stop? Presently there are efforts to remove statues of Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, the Washington monument ?? I mean where does it stop? And who is the arbiter of these decisions?

12. Bluebird
    11:14 am June 28, 2020 Permalink

Hand-wringing, slippery-slope arguments are a great way to never do anything at all. It’s not that hard. The world is better when we don’t glorify the symbols of a short-lived confederation of racist, treasonous losers.

• UKFanSC
      12:26 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

I don’t disagree, but do you include Abraham Lincoln ,George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, US Grant, Woodrow Wilson and basically the entire 18th and 19th century in that statement? If so that’s a long putt.

13. jaws2
    1:05 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

So Bluebird please enlighten us as to where your ‘slope’ ends. Anyone can claim being offended by anything in today’s America, The situation as it is today is completely overblown, driven by a minority of people, and out of control. If some of these ‘offensive’ things were so ‘offensive’, where were people complaining for decades?
    So let’s just begin with a hypothetical. Cassius Clay changes his name to Muhammad Ali and calls white people devils. I suppose we’ll rename the Ali Center, take down a statue, and erase his name from the ‘international’ airport. I believe he is the greatest of all time, but it offended me when he said this. If like some people I had nothing to do all day, I could come up with a list of ENDLESS things that MIGHT offend someone. So, I’d suggest the ‘offended’ to head to their safe space and live out their lives in complete harmony with themselves.

• CrystalBall
      2:04 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

Good reply.

• MississippiBlue
      6:21 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

So when you out offensive in quotes, it appears as if you’re insinuating that monuments of slave owners and confederate soldiers aren’t offensive to most black people. Also, you claim that this is some brand new offense? Absolutely not, they’ve always been offensive. If you’re just now hearing these cries I’d have to imagine you’re friend circle or community may lack ethnic diversity. Lastly, calling someone the devil is vastly different from enslaving, brutalizing, and raping an entire race of people.

14. UKFanSC
    2:48 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

This just in, John Wayne airport in California will be renamed…..John Wayne is apparently being revised from American iconic hero to racist bigot.

I can almost promise you Rupp Arena will be targeted for a new name. Soon.

• TPACAT
      5:25 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, how about “Only White People Can Be Racists Arena”?

15. CrystalBall
    5:31 pm June 28, 2020 Permalink

How about “NAACP” Arena?

16. jaws2
    1:44 pm June 29, 2020 Permalink

MississippiBlue my point is, that ANYTHING can be ‘offensive’ to ANYONE in today’s America. I never implied by your assumption that I don’t believe some of these can be offensive to someone. I’m merely stating that you can drive this down to the lowest levels possible in assuming someone is offended. Everyone is granted the right to be offended. As made by my hypothetical regarding Ali. Are you implying that “white people are devils” is NOT racist? You are totally off to assume my social community is defined by race as well. I grew up in the Clarksdale Projects in downtown Loserville and have played sports with, worked with, been friends with, and employed blacks through the years. I’ve also given many a hand up. I never once have heard one person complain about Uncle Ben, Aunt Jamima, or three white faces being Snap, Crackle and Pop. This has become completely overtaken by political ambitions, the PC culture and the continuation of white guilt. I know this for certain. That if you want to go back in time and remove anyone, or anything that was said, displayed or done that offends another human being, you’ll have to erase a complete course of human history in America and other countries. Oh, and I suppose that’s the final objective here.

• MississippiBlue
      5:52 pm June 29, 2020 Permalink

I believe that any derogatory comment about an entire race of people is racist. However, I wouldn’t consider Ali a racist. I think there nuance between the two, but I understand if most people don’t share those beliefs. Also, maybe black people have been complaining about Uncle Ben and Aunt Jamima in secret, who knows, that’s not the point. The Mississippi state flag has been publicly ill received by African Americans in Mississippi for years. It’s not new, and it’s removal was a long time coming. I simply believe that it shouldn’t take this long for to apply pressure to a bleeding womb, especially in faith based states where we are supposed to love thy neighbor.

17. satcheluk
    9:30 pm June 29, 2020 Permalink

There are a lot of racists here. Some acknowledge it and others would be offended if you said so because they’re so ignorant they don’t even realize it.