Miss the KSR Gubernatorial Debate? Here’s what happened

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 9.52.06 AM

Well, that was fun. Matt Bevin, Jack Conway, and Drew Curtis just finished up their remarks in the KSR Gubernatorial Debate and there were a few intense moments, mainly between Bevin and our own Matt Jones, who performed ably as moderator. Here’s a quick recap before we GET BACK TO SPORTS PLEASE:

Who will the candidates vote for in the 2016 Presidential Election? In a move that may surprise some, Independent Drew Curtis said Donald Trump. Republican Matt Bevin said Ben Carson, not Rand Paul, who will speak at one of his fundraising events this weekend (awkward). Jack Conway said he’ll vote for the Democratic candidate, refusing to specify which one, to which Bevin quipped “Get used to that.”

Medical Marijuana: Bevin and Curtis are for it, Conway is against it.

— After much hedging around the question, Conway also said if he could defund Planned Parenthood, he would (but he can’t). Yes, he’s a Democrat.

• Here are his exact quotes: “I do not support any public money going for abortion services.”…”I think family planning is one thing, but public money going to abortion services I don’t support.” When pressed again, Conway said “If I could, I would prefer to see all family planning be done in a private context.”

— When asked if he really wouldn’t release his tax returns, Bevin shot back “Is that not clear at this point?” Then he accused Matt of not doing his homework, which led to a heated exchange between the two. Ryan Lemond was probably cowering under the desk with his bell.

— In a bizarre moment, Drew Curtis claims not to remember who he voted for in the 2012 Presidential Election. Bevin said that means he voted for Obama.

— Curtis asked Conway, a Duke graduate, how many Duke games he attended last season. Conway claimed only one, the National Championship, because he had tickets for it anticipating on seeing Kentucky there instead. Matt jumped on that to ask who he would cheer for in a head-to-head matchup, Kentucky or Duke. “Kentucky,” Conway said. “I spent four years at Duke, but Kentucky is my home.”

There you go. Listen for yourself on the podcast:

46 Comments for Miss the KSR Gubernatorial Debate? Here’s what happened

1. rodney
    11:31 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Conway didn’t say he would defund Planned Parenthood.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      11:35 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I thought he said if he COULD, he would, but he can’t. I’ll listen again once the podcast is out.

2. ktmiln2
    11:33 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Curtis has said before he bought into the Obama hype in 2008, but lost his enthusiasm for him. And that he thought Romney seemed like a good guy, but he didn’t really care for either candidate. So at least he has been consistent.

3. I leave at halftime
    11:37 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Days like this is when we need a “none of the above” on the ballot.

• android guy
      1:36 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

You can always write in anyone you want.

4. rodney
    11:38 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

said he wasn’t for abortions

5. Jared
    11:41 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Jackson the caller needs to leave politics to the adults. Trump, Carson’s are America’s last defense to self destruction.

6. Paul Kersey
    11:46 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

What a gigantic waste of time today on KSR.

• Towles' Man Bun
      11:53 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

You’re SO right. We need to spend more time on the meaningful things, like why a 19 year old kid isn’t practicing, or what Cal says about his upcoming group of beloved 18-20 year olds. There’s no reason to be wasting time on things that will actually influence our everyday lives as Kentuckians…

• Duuuuuude
      11:53 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

As opposed to a normal day on KSR where it is time well spent?

7. @BallBlog_Chad
    11:52 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

how do you not remember who you voted for in the LAST election? anybody watch Suits? drew curtis reminds me of – http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182345/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9

8. nogoodchoice
    11:56 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

So was Curtis asked about Planned Parenthood? Response? As a Dem, I’m less then impressed/excited/content with Conway.

• Jack Bevin
      12:15 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I believe Curtis said he would not defund Planned Parenthood because they are not allowed to perform abortions in KY.

• KY Freedom Rider
      1:51 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I agree about Conway…strictly pandering to the independents here.
      He needs to be defending THE LAW…something that is PROVEN and CONFIRMED under the constitution….a woman’s RIGHT TO CHOOSE.
      Planned Parenthood should not be defunded!!
      They are a service provider and the doctor of choice for many women.
      I thought Republicans were all about personal freedom???
      And since no one seems to know the truth…NO FEDERAL MONEY GOES FOR ABORTIONS, (except in rape, incest, or life threatening situation).
      And everyone should be for medical marijuana.

• Educated Voter
      2:56 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Roe V. Wade was one of the most horrendous decisions the Supreme Court ever decided. It ranks up there with Dred Scott v. Sandford, U.S. v. Knight, and Plessy V. Ferguson. We all understand the women’s right to choose, but the last time I checked women were not asexual. Using taxpayer dollars to fund anything tied to killing fetus’s should not be allowed and I will caste my vote against any candidate that advocates such.

• papasnapper
      3:05 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Educated Voter – Amen!
      KY Freedom Rider – Just because SCOTUS says that a woman has the right to murder their unborn child does not make it right. Abortion = Murder. An innocent life is snuffed out.

• chimichanga
      3:09 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

So it’s not ok to use taxpayer money for an abortion to save a woman’s life? But I presume you’re ok with taxpayer money used for public defense for an accused rapist, but not for keeping his unwanted DNA out of the gene pool? Way to have your priorities straight.

• bucket
      7:28 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

That unwanted DNA is a human being. You wouldn’t kill a kid that was already born that came from rape would you? Let the innocent baby live but kill the guilty rapist. That is the correct priority chimichanga. I can’t think of anything more twisted than murdering an innocent developing child in the womb. From suctioning them with a high powered vacuum that breaks their little bodies into pieces to ripping their skulls apart and suctioning out their brains. The discussion has nothing to do with a woman’s right. It has everything to do about taking an innocent life. A woman can currently have an abortion at 24 weeks but there have been babies born and lived earlier than that. If you have any shred of common sense you have to agree that obviously that 23 week old fetus must be alive in order to be able to live. For years, people were killing almost full term babies in the vagina (partial birth abortions) before they came fully out into the open. Of course if they went on and took the head out the baby would be officially born. It takes a very deceived and wicked person to support abortion. Hitler was able to get support for his mass genocide by convincing people Jews were less than human. The liberals have done the same thing to babies. The abortion totals run up over 55 million in this country now. That is 20 percent of the population of the U.S.! This blood will not be on my hands though.

9. bbn4LIFE
    12:18 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Man this weed I got is good!

10. KY Politics
    12:21 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Conway is why I hate politics. Bevin is liar. And I have no idea who the other idiot is.

11. Evan
    12:26 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Lost all respect for Curtis when he said he’d vote for Trump. Bevin is a liar and thinks Kim Davis is right. Conway, as a dem, wants to defund PP and isn’t in support of medical marijuana?

These guys all suck.

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      12:59 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

• chimichanga
      1:52 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

You nailed it, Evan.

• nogoodchoice
      3:47 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Ditto. Or even double-ditto.

12. TheC3K
    12:34 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Some years back, Conway came to Centre to speak to our GSP class to discuss cyber crime. He struggled mightily with PowerPoint. I haven’t really had any respect with him since then. I wish Mr. Galbraith was running to add something interesting to this mudslinging much of a gubernatorial race.

• KentuckyHouse
      12:43 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Um…you realize Gatewood is dead, right?

• TheC3K
      12:57 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, I do. I realize now that was poorly worded.

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      1:00 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Definitely voting for dead Gatewood.

• Evan
      1:10 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure dead Gatewood would be more likable than any of these guys. Miss seeing him out on the corner of Waller and Nicholasville on gamedays

13. Bob the Builder
    1:06 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

How can anyone be against medical cannabis??? It is a fact that it only has benefits and would help so many people within illnesses. At this point, being against it is being ignorant to facts.

14. android guy
    1:09 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Here’s my thought process on the debate: Conway strikes me as a guy who not only can’t think outside the box, but he denies that anything outside the box even exists. To quote Bugs Bunny about a similar person, “Wotta Maroon!”. Curtis is the one I would most like to hang around with, but let’s be honest: he’s just out of his depth. That leaves Bevin, why may be just a tiny bit shady. But then again, as I learned from the trailer for Suicide Squad, sometimes it’s good to have shady characters on your side. So I’m voting Bevin.

15. Chris
    1:13 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

16. Scarsnbars
    1:22 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Being a confirmed libertarian, I found them all rather disappointing, but Mr Bevin reminded me of an ex brother in law who knew everything, but could not be bothered to explain the details.

17. Dacci
    1:22 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

“Conway is a total puppet. He has no backbone. He can not even say who he would vote for. He is not for Kentucky he is for what he will be told that he if for.”

LOL, dude completely ignores that he strays away from his party on 3 major issues, Coal, PP, and Medical Marijuana. If anything that tells me he isn’t a puppet.

• Jack Bevin
      1:27 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

The 3 issues that will get him possible Republican voters votes. If anything that makes him even more of a puppet.

• chimichanga
      1:50 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

And those three issues are three big reasons he won’t get my vote. Pandering jackass.

18. Evan
    1:29 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I have to say, this is the first time I remember a political conversation not quickly escalating into a GOP v Dem war of words and calling each party dumbasses. Think we’re all in agreement that our choices for governor are less than ideal.

MATT JONES FOR GOVERNOR!!!

• JimBobJoe
      1:53 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I agree they all suck!
      I will hold my nose and vote for Conway.

19. Mixxy
    1:39 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I liked Bevin’s solution to the Kim Davis situation. Why NOT redo the forms? It is an easy, common sense thing to do. And why not get government out of the marriage business entirely? It’s kind of silly to have them involved to begin with.

• nogoodchoice
      3:50 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

First of all, government is not getting out of the marriage business anytime soon. Secondly, there are reasons for keeping the process as it is (not to say there aren’t reasons the other way). But since this isn’t a religious action, and doesn’t specifically call for anyone’s ‘blessing’ it’s a cop out to say ‘let’s just change the whole process to appease a couple of folks who want to slack off’.

See also: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/13/4033967_don-blevins-jr-dont-take-license.html?rh=1

20. chimichanga
    1:48 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

What a sad, sad group of candidates. All three are full of sh!t in their own ways.

• Towles' Man Bun
      3:18 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Which could be said about every political race, ever. So, what’s new?

21. shamsway
    2:27 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I’ve never voted for a democrat or republican for KY gov. Up to this point I’ve cast every vote for Galbraith. This time I’ll be voting for Drew Curtis.

22. Katya
    5:32 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Even though he’s a bit of a DINO I’ll still vote for Conway because Curtis has no chance and Bevin is a tool.

23. Oh, man
    8:49 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

These guys are ALL depressing. Conway isn’t great, but at least he isn’t one of the other two.

24. Austin
    10:05 pm October 2, 2015 Permalink

I’m still trying to figure out what everyone thinks Matt Bevin has lied about I’ve been to many events and debates since the primary while trying to decide who I was going to vote for and have never heard Bevin change his position on any issue. I can cut up a bunch of sentence’s an piece them together to make it sound like you’re saying anything but that don’t mean that’s how your really said it. Matt Bevin is the best choice Ky has had in a long time, he is absolutely not a man that can be bought and told what to do he made that clear when he turned down donations from special interest groups looking for favors. I hope people actually take the time to find out facts on your own and stop believing lie adds on tv . The people finally have a chance to make our voice count for something and I hope we don’t throw it away. Ask yourself this, if Matt Bevin was a same old same old establishment politician why has the republican party spent millions and millions of dollars making up lies ever since the senate race to shut him down? Because Matt Bevin CANT BE BOUGHT the establishment knew they couldn’t buy him so they started throwing mud and Ky fell for it and we ended up with Mitch and every single thing that matt said would happen if we re elected Mitch has happened and now people are falling for their tricks again, Matt Bevin is not a politician , he is a statesman that is trying to bring the voice of liberty & freedom back to frankfort , I Will Absolutely be voting for MATT BEVIN NOV 3RD!….. get informed, get involved and LET FREEDOM RING!