Mingione starting his freshman pitcher in Game 1

Zack Thompson, let’s go.

Thompson struggled in his two regular season starts against Louisville, but the stakes are much higher this time around and he’s a gamer. He’ll be ready.

This also means we get the marquee Hjelle-McKay showdown on Saturday for Game 2. Buy the big bag of popcorn for that one.

Beat Louisville.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Mingione starting his freshman pitcher in Game 1

1. BBNDan7
    5:02 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

That’s a bold move cotton, let’s see if it pays off

• Corder
      5:10 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Can’t hold anything back

2. Corder
    5:09 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Can’t hold anything back

3. Eazy
    5:13 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Thompson has great stuff. Kinda surprised we didn’t go with Lewis in game 1, though.

4. krautdog
    5:19 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know if it will play out this way, but, I’ve noticed that in the MLB World Series when the starting pitcher of game #1 has an outstanding performance, he struggles in his next start most of the time & vice/versa. Hope that will the case tomorrow!

5. krautdog
    5:26 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

I have great confidence in Mingione’s decisions.

6. az1006
    6:01 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

I can’t speak for Mingione, because I don’t know his thought process. But, if it’s me, I’m looking at this from a couple different angles: 1, Thompson has had two starts against UofL, and didn’t have great outings…As they say, he’s due. 2, Hjelle threw nearly 40 pitches on Monday. He was due for a bullpen session that day, anyway, but still…A pen and 40 high-leverage pitches are two very different things. That extra day of rest can only help. If you can sneak a win in game 1, you’ve got the SEC Pitcher of the Year in a clincher. I like it.

7. jaws2
    6:17 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Throw your best in game 1, make them win 2 in a row to send you home. We made the same mistake the last time we were in loserville for the NCAA vs uOFsmell! IMO it’s the only way.

• TBW3011
      11:54 pm June 8, 2017 Permalink

Our best isn’t ready to start tomorrow. If he were ready he would be starting. And I’m not sure why everyone thinks Thompson had 2 bad outings against them. His 2nd outing was fine.