Mingione on Mississippi State job: “I don’t see that happening.”

UK head baseball coach Nick Mingione made a special guest appearance on today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio to respond to the rumors of him being a potential candidate for the Mississippi State opening. Mingione made a statement earlier in the week, but Matt Jones didn’t love it, so he asked Mingione to call in to the show to expand on what he originally said.

When asked by KSR if Big Blue Nation is going to watch him bolt for Starkville, Mingione said, “No, I don’t see that happening and here’s why: Christen and I, we love this place. Lexington is our home. I fell in love with this place when I came here in ’06. And my brain works in boxes, maybe some other people’s don’t, and I put a ton of checkmarks in all of the boxes here. So you know what, this is our job, this is the position we’ve been given, and we’re obviously trying to do the best job we can, and there’s really nothing to talk about in regards to Mississippi State.”

When pushed to stand by that statement, Mingione again said, “I don’t see that happening.”

His interview concluded with this: “If I didn’t think we could win here, or win a national championship, I wouldn’t have came here to begin with… I would’ve never put my family in the position of coming here if I didn’t believe this was possible.”

Listen to the entire interview:

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Mingione on Mississippi State job: “I don’t see that happening.”

1. Jiminy Crickets
    12:05 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

In other words, they haven’t offered me the job, but if they do I’ll have a big decision to make

• 2Dogs
      12:28 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m sorry. Matt Jones doesn’t love that answer.

• BINGO Jiminy and 2dogs. It’s still not a denial. As Rod alludes to below, hopefully Nick really does want to stay but he’s just sending a signal to Mitch to open the checkbook. I can’t blame him. Lute Olsen used UK offers twice to get raises.

• Look Out Fireworks
      7:00 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

I don’t see myself becoming a millionaire tomorrow, however if I were to win the lottery I wouldn’t turn it down…

2. Peter Criss
    12:22 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

“I just didn’t see this happening, but you know, sometimes one place just checks more boxes than the other. At heart I’m more of a dog person than a cat person anyway”.

3. Rod Crandler
    12:45 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Don’t blame him for not responding. If he’s planning on going, no way he’s going to say anything to disrupt the current team. If he’s not going, don’t say anything and hopefully you get some $$ to make sure you stay after the season.

4. BBNBRIAN
    1:12 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like he says a lot, but says nothing. If the money is right he will move on – same as 99% of all coaches in America. Best of luck to him either way!

5. ukkatzfan
    3:36 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

How about taking a page from his book and live in the moment? If we do that and enjoy today, then tomorrow will take care of itself.

6. DrSayre
    3:41 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

Matt needs to calm down about this… “I dont see that happening” is what you say when the season is going on and you want the media to shut up. Kinda like what Saban did when he was at the Dolphins. I think a lot of this will come down to the wife.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:35 pm February 22, 2018 Permalink

I believe he is happy where he is. Would you rather live in Lexington or Starkville? Especially when he is getting it done here.