Michigan isn’t a Threat to Flip Marquan McCall

247

At one time, Michigan was the leader in Marquan McCall’s recruitment.  Then McCall started taking visits to Kentucky.  Before long, Jim Harbaugh’s Wolverines were out of the picture and the No. 1 player in the state of Michigan committed to Kentucky.

“Michigan, I don’t know,” he told Land of 10’s Brandon Justice as he shook his head. “That was a good school. I always had my head in them. [Michigan] was definitely my No. 1 school [before the communication cut off]. But as I went on trips to Kentucky, they kept showing me more and more love. Then I committed.”

Currently the highest-ranked recruit to commit to Kentucky’s 2018 class, McCall is considered the nation’s No. 3 offensive guard and the No. 94 player overall by Rivals.  McCall said Kentucky’s persistence and family atmosphere made him pull the trigger and commit.

“I took a couple visits [to Kentucky], and on my third visit, it got in my head [to commit]. Then they started treating me like family,” McCall said. “No schools were really hitting me up. Kentucky stayed on me and kept making sure that I was good. So, that’s where I went.”

Is there a chance Harbaugh could try to flip McCall and convince him to stay home?

“I haven’t heard from Michigan in … a minute,” he said. “They didn’t really talk to me, so, I guess, that was kind of it.”

He is no longer hearing from Michigan or Michigan State, but Oregon has entered the picture.  McCall plans to visit Eugene this fall or summer.

[Land of 10]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

10 Comments for Michigan isn’t a Threat to Flip Marquan McCall

1. BlueGrass
    11:18 am May 31, 2017 Permalink

That’s very odd that no home state schools are currently recruiting him, regardless of his commitment status.

2. JASUN74
    11:24 am May 31, 2017 Permalink

Sure hope we can keep this guy. He really seems to love KY. I think he will be a future first rounder and a key contributor in the Cats making the playoffs in 2021! I honestly think we are on our way to being a consistent top ten team in the country every year.

3. Catlogic15
    11:24 am May 31, 2017 Permalink

Sounds more like he committed to Kentucky because he was mad at Michigan.
    And love how our “solid” commitment is headed to Eugene for a visit. Football recruiting sucks.

• Penn Chaloaf
      5:24 pm May 31, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. Did I miss the part where UM or MSU offered – or had previously showered him with attention?The recruit consistently states “in my head”. This gives rise to a strong presumption that, perhaps, it was Marquanchigan or Marquanchigan State who recruited him and whom he would have preferred. And yes: Whoreagon may offer him. And, that’s fine. Que Sera, Sera…..K sarah sarah.

4. secrick
    11:40 am May 31, 2017 Permalink

Not sure about the top 10 every year but seems like we are getting some really good recruits . Keep up the good work .

5. jdarren1963
    12:08 pm May 31, 2017 Permalink

Welcome to Kentucky, Marquan!

6. BluKudzu
    12:48 pm May 31, 2017 Permalink

Hope he stays committed. Curious as to why none of the in state schools are not offering?

7. satcheluk
    1:08 pm May 31, 2017 Permalink

Blu-they quit recruiting him after he committed. Likely they felt slighted.

• ksrusername99
      4:34 pm May 31, 2017 Permalink

That is not what the article said. If you read it, it says that Michigan stopped communicating and Kentucky did not, so he took visits to Kentucky, then committed.

Michigan and Michigan State fans have been talking about his mysterious recruitment when all this communication stopped and there’s speculation on everything from academics to an overrated profile that might see a dip as they get updated, or, it could just simply be that Michigan was just more into the 4 other O-linemen that they have in what will be a small class for them.

8. tfordstyle
    7:20 pm May 31, 2017 Permalink

Ya mum felt slighted last night.