Michael Drennen’s Final Decision Depends on Vince Marrow’s Future at UK

Andrew Ivins | 247

Andrew Ivins | 247

Kentucky’s top remaining target in the 2020 recruiting class broke his silence Thursday to share his National Signing Day plans. Those plans could change if Vince Marrow leaves Lexington.

Michael Drennen II, a four-star recruit from Dublin Coffman High School (Oh.), told 247’s Bill Greene he has picked a decision day, although he has not yet selected a school. It’s a two-horse race between Kentucky and USC with less than a week to go.

Ranked by Rivals as the No. 210 player in America, Drennen initially planned to take more official visits once he chose to wait and sign in February. Those plans were scrapped. Once considered a heavy-Kentucky lean, USC is making the most of uncertainty surrounding Vince Marrow’s status. Head coach Clay Helton visited the recruit in person the night after news broke that the Big Dog is up for the head coaching job at Youngstown State.

“I want to make my decision on February 5, but there might be something happening that could change things for me,” Drennen told 247. “At Kentucky, I’m reading that (assistant coach) Vince Marrow could be getting the head coaching job at Youngstown State and he and I have had a relationship since I was in the eighth grade. I’m not saying his decision will make my decision for me but I’m watching that.”

He’s the main person I speak to at Kentucky and him leaving kind of makes me nervous a little bit,” he admitted. “He was the first coach to ever offer me a scholarship and we have stayed close. I have been to Kentucky so many times and I’m very comfortable there. I know that school better than any school that has recruited me.”

It reads as though Kentucky is the favorite to sign the plug-and-play athlete if Marrow remains in Lexington. Keeping Marrow at UK is important for a variety of reasons. Landing a player that will be billed as the heir apparent to Lynn Bowden is Exhibit A.

[247 Sports]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

34 Comments for Michael Drennen’s Final Decision Depends on Vince Marrow’s Future at UK

1. UKfansNKY
    3:08 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Come on, BIG DOG we NEED YOU TO STAY, PLEASE!!!!!

2. ukkatzfan
    3:18 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

As much as I would really like to have this player and Vince, I would rather Vince make the decision based on what he wants.

3. Bluebloodtoo
    3:22 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

That’s not good, and kinda not cool, but what do you expect from a kid…

• Bobbum Man
      3:24 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

What about it isn’t cool?

• Bluebloodtoo
      3:47 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Eh, maybe my expectation is unreasonably high. I get that he’s got a relationship with him, but he’s not even his position coach.

• ClutchCargo
      4:13 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

It doesn’t matter that he’s not his position coach, he’s not even committed or on campus yet. Big Dawg is his primary connection and the reason he is high on UK. There is nothing uncool about that, it just means Marrow is great at building relationships with these recruits.

• Bluebloodtoo
      5:17 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I get the relationship, the recruiting connection. The familiarity and such. I’m looking at it from the perspective of… how does this change my potential career at this school and it really doesn’t at all. It changes my comfort level, but not how much I’ll learn or my pro level projections or my win total. It only affects my comfort level for the first 2-3 months that I’m at that school. But…. that’s not how kids make decisions, sooooo… I’m probably being unreasonable with my expectations.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:29 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

I remember Vince tweeting to a player or mentioning to a reporter that the player was like a son to him. I think it was someone who was transferring, but I’m not sure. We constantly hear how much these guys love Marrow, so this does not surprise me. That dynamic is a boon for UK recruiting, and more importantly, could it be that the reason they love Vince so much is because many of them don’t have fathers at home and he shows them GENUINE love as a person/father-figure and not just as a football player?

• satcheluk
      9:20 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

I agree. You let a man make his decision and then you make yours. You don’t publicly announce like this, especially with no commitment.

• Bluebloodtoo
      1:13 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Yeah satcheluk, that’s what I was thinking when I said it kinda wasn’t cool. But there again, I’m expecting too much for kids I think. I certainly wouldn’t have grasped that when I was in high school.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I can see the point about not making it public, but that’s his decision, and we may be in a dead period where the player can’t call Vince up and talk to him about it.

Regardless, it’s obvious that these kids love Vince, and I love THAT.

4. bbn606
    3:26 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Seems like everyone that waits till February are usually Drama Queens. Just take your ball and go.

• ClutchCargo
      4:17 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

How is it dramatic to realize you can go pretty much anywhere, and that it might be best to wait until the coaching carousel works itself out to make a decision?

• BigBlue01
      4:30 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Sigh… yes the kid who has not said a word about his recruitment until now is a drama queen. Bob, just take your ball and go. Us Cats fans will take Drennen!

• notFromhere
      8:33 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

“Seems like everyone that waits till February are usually Drama Queens. Just take your ball and go”

This is probably THE stupidest or most ignorant comment I have ever read on this part of the site, and that’s saying something.

– you do know this is THE signing day and these are student athletes still in High School…?
      – he’s not enrolling early. THAT’S the reason he is taking his time.
      – some of the BEST big-decision makers take their time with the decisions. Not everyone decides based on the same criteria or schedule.
      – why shouldn’t this be something he wants to be sure about? Dies he need to decide because your feelings are too fragile to wait a few months?

YOUR POST is the DRAMA QUEEN post of the day. Your heating bill must suck with that glass house you’re living in.

5. JohnnyCat
    5:00 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm…. He’s choosing between an 8-5 USC or an 8-5 UK??
    L.A. babes and Malibu beaches versus overweight fatties and the constant smell of horse manure.
    I think we know where he’s going.

• StillBP
      5:10 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

I bet your breath smells like manure and I’m glad I don’t have to verify that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:26 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Johnny, please change your screen name to JohnnyCard.

• truebluefootballfan
      6:47 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

They rate Louisville players by felonies not stars, as to why they’re not in this equation

• RAGE
      7:34 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

That was a good one… I literally laughed out loud at this one…

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      8:03 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

JohnnyCat please stop projecting what you hate about your family on the rest of us. If you and your shack mates(aka mom, dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings(also know as your spouse and children)) would stop eating that fast food, wash your clothes, take a bath, and stop hoarding rat and bug infested boxes then that problem would go away. It would also help if you’d move out of the crappy part of Louisville where all those Card fans that fit your description live.

• notFromhere
      8:39 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

JohnnyCat has never been on UKs campus. (Has he even left his mom’s basement? )

UK has real women of all kinds, shapes, and sizes, as well as some of the most beautiful.

LA has plenty of manufactured beauty. Butt implants, lip injections, fake everything, but if that’s what you want, more power to you. I guess it’s what people that are graduating from blow-up dolls are used to these days. (LA has plenty of the rest, too, they just don’t put em on TV near as much.)

6. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    8:10 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Let’s also not forget that the 8-5 in the Pac, or your precious ACC for that matter, wouldn’t have made a bowl in the SEC.

7. dan1965
    8:27 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Is it USC (L.A…USC Bruins), Or USC University South Carolina, which I see constantly shown as USC also ? Back years ago USC Always meant the Bruins,now though I have seen it so many times for the SEC school ,anyway just wondering,thanks.

• notFromhere
      8:40 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

USC is the Trojans, as in trojan horse because of all of the fake people

• ClutchCargo
      9:01 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Trojans, as in what JohnnyCatshit’s momma should have insisted on the day he was conceived.

• ClutchCargo
      9:03 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

To answer your question, Dan: University of Southern California Trojans.

8. notFromhere
    8:40 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Bruins are UCLA

• notFromhere
      8:41 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Drennen is choosing between USC Trojans and UK Wildcats as far as anyone knows

9. dcforuk
    10:16 pm January 30, 2020 Permalink

Clay Helton is SoCal’s coach.

I trust Coach stoops to navigate this appropriately. In other words, if there is any way that showing Vince more love through money or other things would help keep him, then I think Coach stoops will have his pulse on that and can make that happen with MB and the admin. I do not question that aspect of this at all. Therefore, I really do think it’s just a matter of whether this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for coach marrow. I hope he stays because I hope he wants to stay. I am a little concerned because he did say that he will be a head coach so maybe now is really the time that’s going to happen. If he stays, the other recruiting folks will use that against Kentucky and will say that Coach Vince has already gone on record to say he’s going to leave Kentucky at some point. On the flipside, nothing is guaranteed by any coach so that may not matter.

10. Urincatland
    2:56 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

Big Dog, whatever decision you make we can’t thank you enough for what you’ve done at Kentucky. We love you here and we won’t to keep you! Go Cats!

11. kjd
    9:00 am January 31, 2020 Permalink

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what this student athlete said.