Media Wars, with Kyle Tucker and Eric Crawford

XM5xB5z5aE9QQlyO

There’s nothing we love more than media wars here at KSR, and this afternoon brought us a pretty good one. Eric Crawford, formerly of the Courier-Journal and now with WDRB, posted an article this morning previewing UK’s trip to the Bahamas with quotes from Calipari’s media opportunity yesterday, which included this line about the recent practices the Lexington media has been invited to watch:

There’s nothing new in the hype coming out of UK’s pair of practices opened to select media this week. First, nobody was invited who wasn’t going to report enthusiastically. Second, what is there to not be enthusiastic about? The Wildcats are the No. 1 team in the nation, and bring in the top recruiting class in the nation.

That line in bold caught the eye of current Courier Journal reporter Kyle Tucker, who tweeted the following to Crawford this afternoon:

Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 2.19.16 PM

Now, I agree with Kyle on one thing: the media invited to the practices this week was anything but biased. Kyle, Jerry Tipton, and Alan Cutler were among the reporters there, and we’ve seen in the past that none of them have issues writing negative things about Kentucky. In fact, coming from Crawford, who you could argue is as biased as they come when it comes to Louisville, that’s actually pretty hypocritical.

However, Kyle’s dig at Eric about using quotes from a media opportunity he wasn’t at is a bit petty; after all, Calipari’s press conference was streamed online AND UK sent out typed-up transcripts of all the quotes to all of the media on their mailing list, which undoubtedly includes Crawford. Even further, they were posted on CoachCal.com. Come on, man.

Crawford’s been at Valhalla today, aka the black hole of cell reception/wifi, so it’ll be interesting to see his response later on.

37 Comments for Media Wars, with Kyle Tucker and Eric Crawford

1. jmeeks23
    3:40 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I’m an active duty service member stationed out in Oklahoma. Does anyone know where I can watch the games online this weekend? Don’t want to miss the Bahamas games at all.

• Drew Franklin
      5:25 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I’m not positive but I believe WatchESPN will be carrying them.

• Drew Franklin
      5:26 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Ok, it looks like WatchESPN is carrying the first three.

• Hmmmm
      7:13 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

First three are on ESPNU. Last three are on SEC Network. From where you are, WatchESPN.com should be you’re best bet.

2. gordonm
    3:40 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Crawford decrypted(?): I didn’t get an invite, and if I did, I wouldn’t have anything nice to say.

3. J-Dub421
    3:42 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Show of hands, who thinks Crawford had his teeth whitened, and that it looks ridiculous in that photo?

4. doc
    3:45 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Speaking of petty, this is like when two people you don’t really care for get into a fight and you run around telling everyone because it makes you so happy.

• Moose
      4:01 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

It’s also like commenting on a blog post just to call people petty.

• Richard Petty
      4:32 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

And so you clicked the link.

5. The Loco Pollo
    3:47 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Meh. Not so much a war. Good for Tucker for calling him out on the whining though. If it was just tweets 1 & 3 he’d look way better. Tweet 2 takes away a bit by being a little whiny himself.

• cracka
      4:10 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

is he saying that if he writes something and uses quotes, but wasn’t in attendance, he should cite the source? i don’t really get it

6. #KyleTuckerComplaints
    3:52 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I’m considering unfollowing Kyle during the Bahamas trip. I’m sure his info will be good but I’m expecting constant complaining all week.

Poor guy had to cover football AND basketball yesterday. CAN YOU IMAGINE?????

7. Tupac Shakur
    3:55 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

This isn’t going to end well that’s fo sho.

8. mike
    3:56 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Crawford’s photo looks like one of the Japanese in the 1940’s Bugs Bunny WWII cartoon.

9. Michael Scott
    4:03 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I know how they can overcome their differences.

10. Blue To The Bone...
    4:06 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Crawford is hilarious…If you checked the dna you would find he and Forde were spawned by the same person…

11. Al/in/Indy
    4:21 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I used to think Crawford was forward thinking journalist who even when he wrote things about UK was somewhat well thought out. Then he began to be a condescending jerk when some of his readers weren’t wholeheartedly agreeing with his view.
    When he and Pitino became the bestest of buddies his slant was more dribble than the normal mind could take. Although I’m no fan of Tucker’s either, I could see that “ISH eating smile be wiped off Crawford’s face.

12. RICK
    4:37 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Tyler, You may be the only person or maybe one of two that reads what these 2 guys write. Of course it’s your job to read and report on all good and bad of sports and this is the bad.

13. Eric is a tapeworm
    4:39 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Eric has his head so far up Pitino’s poopshoot that he can tell the you content of his stomach. This is true at any time other than when he comes up for air and Pat Forde dives in for a stool-burger.

14. Tucker fan
    5:53 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Don’t know why some of you don’t seem to like Kyle Tucker. If you follow him on twitter you’ll find he is a funny dude. And what he writes always seems fair. Do you just want someone blowing smoke all the time? I love ksr but I’d like to unfollow all the ksr folks during games. Tucker’s info is much more informative and knowledgeable.

• Agreed
      6:55 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I absolutely agree. He is far less homerish and biased. He may sink into petty things every now and again, but I usually go to him for news over KSR these days.

• Hmmmm
      7:17 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Ditto that! I don’t get why everyone disagrees with Tucker’s remarks. I liked ’em!

• cireb
      8:00 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Thumbs up to this

• Mr. Agree
      8:33 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

I tend to find complaining about what I deem to be obvious benefits or goes-with-territory-of-sports-related-job stuff complaining to be somewhat annoying. However, whether intended or not, Tucker’s complaining has become a humorous thing. I think he does a very good job in his actual role as reporter. Glad he’s around, honestly.

• Shawon
      11:06 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Kyle Tucker is very good. However, I do not follow him on Twitter because he invariably gets into a Twitter battle with Matt over stupid stuff and I do not like to read those. So I have to not follow either Kyle, or Matt.

Sorry, Kyle.

15. Patrick
    6:06 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Crawford looks like that Minkus dork from Boy Meets World.

16. BlueDoug
    6:18 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Eric grew up a UK fan as was his father Byron..

• Stat Man
      8:30 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

So what, Terry Meiners also grew up a UK fan and now takes trips with Rick Fifteeno.

17. jeff j
    7:14 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

geeeeze i looked up “complete jerk nerd ” and got this exact pic. he really need help, but i aint givin it. GO CATS !!!

18. Shelby County
    8:04 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

The “1940 Bugs Bunny” comment should be a first ballot KSR HOF inductee. Best comment ever.

• Mr. Agree
      8:30 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Definitely. Thanks to the guy who gave the reference photo too. Just amazing.

Eric Crawford drinks his own pee I’m pretty sure.

19. krispy creme
    9:11 pm August 7, 2014 Permalink

Was Eric licking TJ’s joy stick while typing that tweet? The UofL media is SO objective.