McCarty and Cubelic (Thursday Show Thread)

McCarty via Getty Images

McCarty via Getty Images

This morning’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio will (hopefully) feature a few guests.  Former Wildcat Walter McCarty will call in to talk about his new head coaching at Evansville, and ESPN’s Cole Cubelic will provide a little Kentucky football spring game preview.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

64 Comments for McCarty and Cubelic (Thursday Show Thread)

1. JerryDamage
    9:51 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Walter has that Stapleton beard going on. FIRST!!!!!!!!

2. JerryDamage
    9:54 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

So above the comments section is an article about trophy wives and it’s got a picture of Stacy Kiebler. Roll Tide on that!

3. ClutchCargo
    10:00 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Second straight morning of no 5 star commitments??? Faaar Cal!!!1!11

• JerryDamage
      10:07 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I fear that he’s lost his edge in recruiting.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, the vampire is stealing his lunch money again.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:34 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

If he doesn’t land a top-5 big man and two 4-year Kentucky boys by noon he needs to be out of town by sunset.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Lol. 🙂

4. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Have to say I’m confused about Cal’s recruiting strategy; I know he wants to recruit the best, but what’s with all the guards?
    Didn’t work for the Suns.

• ClutchCargo
      10:04 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Just a hunch, but it’s possible that one of these 2019 recruits stays in 2019. Who knows, but it’s a great problem to have.

• secrick
      10:05 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

These guys can shoot the heck out of the ball also can rebound because of quickness. Hope we start 4 guards and Vanderbilt next year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Really impressed he’s trying to get Maxey while his father is the recruiter for SMU. That’s what I call huge cojones’.
      That would be like recruiting Doug McDermott when his dad was coach at Creighton.

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Clutch – I agree that Cal may be hedging his bets in case Hagans is not able to reclassify. I think if one reclassifies that the other will stay 2019.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

rg, it’s also impressive that his dad is wise enough to be ok with the idea of his son doing what is best for him and not what is best for dad.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:15 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

It worked for Villanova. Five of their top 8 players were guards. The other three were all forwards, none over 6-9. Five of those guys were also great shooters.

• rickwhitetx
      11:22 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

It’s also working for Golden State at the NBA level. I think it’s the new paradigm and Cal is just a step slow getting there.

5. King Kelly Coleman
    10:12 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Is there a better way to listen to the radio show online other than iHeart? It cuts out about every 30 seconds for about 30 seconds at a time.

• JerryDamage
      10:17 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Maybe if your local station streams online you could listen that way.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Try a different station, and make sure you have a good wireless signal.

• Craig
      10:37 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Are you running an adblocker? I’ve had to shut mine off on the iheart website. The same thing was happening to me until I whitelisted iheart.

6. ukbradstith
    10:17 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I’ll be very disappointed if Quade leaves. A second and third year Quade is better than another pg.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

How could we not want to keep Quade after he rocked those shades last year?

• JerryDamage
      10:25 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Could be that Quade already decided he was leaving and that’s why Cal is recruiting Maxey. There were those rumors towards the end of the season that SKJ and Quade were going to transfer.

7. J-Dub421
    10:20 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I want Quade.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I was confident he would stay considering he has a year’s experience on the new guys; but, now I don’t know…I’m really confused.

8. JerryDamage
    10:25 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I really think we should Platoon again next year. Otherwise several of these guys won’t see much playing time at all.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

But it was said that the platoon hurt our recruiting for a couple of years.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I don’t see any way around it. He probably won’t call it a platoon, but it will almost have to be something like that.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I don’t get the problem with platooning. The NBA does it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I never understood that, either. The way I see it, there is a certain type of player/person that Cal recruits. Some classes have a ton of those guys, while other classes are very lean. But he doesn’t typically just chase after the top rated guys just because they are top rated. If that makes any sense. Ha!

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Exactly. WCS was ranked 50th and was a 4*. We were the only big school to offer him. Shai was in a similar situation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know; but, I think the problem in the minds of the recruits was playing time…like they’re talking about on the show this morning.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Then the recruits who are focused too much on playing time go somewhere else, and then it looks like Cal got out-recruited. UK isn’t for everybody, even if it results in the occasional less than stellar recruiting class.

9. CATandMONKEY
    10:31 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Really would like for PJ to stay.

Despite the free throw issue, we were only even in that game because of his play.

Com’on back PJ.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Ain’t that the truth. PJ needs a jump shot, at least from mid-range or…I just don’t see him having success in the G League right now.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:42 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

A PJ with even a just-respectable jumper and just enough range to occasionally draw a defender out of the paint is a huge asset to the team and suddenly a very draftable player.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

He would be a great asset for us; but, a 6’7″ forward with a just-respectable jump shot would not be drafted.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

^ MKG says hello. 🙂

• JerryDamage
      11:21 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Yeah but MKG had some great defense. If PJ gave us that then I’d agree but he’s not on the same level of defender that MKG was.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:21 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

PJ is not MKG. I would compare Vanderbilt more to MKG. PJ is a good ball player, but he’s not the hustler MKG was on the defensive end. If PJ goes now, he’ll be a G-League player, no doubt. If you can’t shoot, you better be able to play great defense.

10. JerryDamage
    10:36 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

It didn’t go over Iheart.

• Craig
      10:37 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Too bad, I’d love to have heard it

11. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

So what did I miss? Customer called, and actually said “bless your heart”, but I think she was being sincere. 🙂

12. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Eugene sounds like a mix of Forrest Gump and Gomer Pyle. 😀

13. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Only dook or UNCheat could pull off a reclassification like Bagley had.

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Bagley’s family went from almost filing for bankruptcy to a million dollar house adn him at a $30,000 per year private school in 2 years. If he had come to Kentucky, he would never have been eligible. The NCAA would have Kantered him. That’s not even counting that he went to 3 different high schools.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

That being said, my older kid will have enough college credits by the time she graduates from high school to skip her entire freshman year of college, provided they all transfer. So I guess the reclassification can be easier than we think, provided they are good students. That can be tough if you are a high end athlete.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, basically, if you go to dook, UNCheat or Kansas, you get a pass.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

If Brandon Knight had come back for a second season, he would have been a junior academically.

• ClutchCargo
      11:13 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

It’s almost as though dook was making a point to demonstrate that they can do whatever they want with impunity. No, wait… that’s exactly what they did.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, that’s because they have been doing that all along.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

The problem with what Matt is talking about – recruiting a multi-year kid every year – is that they transfer because they are constantly getting recruited over. These kids work hard – they want some playing time, and not just mop up minutes with 30 seconds left in the game.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Sacha, Wenyen, and Quade weren’t playing mop up minutes though.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I can’t help but think that UK’s image as an NBA player factory works against being able to hang onto those guys. Not saying it can’t happen, but we need them to see more teams like 2011-12 where experienced guys played major roles in the success of that team.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Not this year, but Sacha was behind even some of the walk-ons last year. And he didn’t really get much PT this year until it was apparent that Richards was failing and after JV got hurt.

15. J-Dub421
    11:26 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Why are we the only school that has this problem? We aren’t the only program that has a lot of one and dones. No one is calling Bolden a failure because he’s still at Duke. It feels like we’re the only program where someone staying for a second or third year is considered a failure.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

I’ve often wondered about that…I think it has to be about the players’ perceptions and peer pressure.
      In my mind, a player that stays in school two, three, or four years is not a failure.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Here’s where I think that’s on Cal. When you publicly say that having X number of players drafted was the greatest day in UK basketball history (don’t remember the exact words, but something to that effect), it sends a message to the guys who aren’t getting drafted right away. Cal gets criticized for this, and I think it’s a fair point.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

That’s a fair point; and, I know the Harrisons wanted to go after a year. Then they left after two years, and have struggled to get in the league, but I’m glad they’ve worked hard and have earned some minutes.

• Rick_S
      2:53 pm April 12, 2018 Permalink

I’ll call Bolden an epic failure

16. runningunnin.454
    11:41 am April 12, 2018 Permalink

Evansville’s heyday was as a Division II school, with their rivalries with Kentucky Wesleyan and Southern Illinois.

• Flake
      1:28 pm April 12, 2018 Permalink

I used to go to some games at old Roberts Stadium, and also to some WesIeyan games at the Owensboro sports center. I think there was about a 10 year stretch from the early 60’s to the mid seventies where Wesleyan and Evansville had 8 or 9 championships between them. And for years Evansville hosted the championship, might have even been from the elite 8 on. Back then Division 2 was known as the college division. I got to see some great players who were future pros, Don Buse at Evansville, and saw Leonard “Truck “ Robinson of Tennessee State play against Wesleyan, that was an intense game, better than most of the Division 1 games I saw during that time period.

• Flake
      1:42 pm April 12, 2018 Permalink

And I think Greg Martin from Earlington played at Evansville for at least one season. I used to live in Hopkins County, and he was on the 1967 state championship team from Earlington, and I think he hit the game winning shot in the final. Remembering that shows how old I am.

17. UKfanforlife
    1:40 pm April 12, 2018 Permalink

I have always liked Walter.

18. Rick_S