Matt’s back! (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt makes his triumphant return to the radio waves after a week off. Tune in to hear about his trip and the latest on what PJ Washington, Wenyen Gabriel, and Jarred Vanderbilt will do.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

43 Comments for Matt’s back! (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:14 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Gonna be another slow day, I see. Morning y’alls.

2. CATandMONKEY
    10:26 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Morning!

Glad to have Matt back.

Billy: Self Aware, with the tunes.
    Nice.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Back in the day, when someone came back from vacation they would bore everyone with slides of what they did and where they went. Now they do the same thing with Facebook and smart phones. FB is particularly annoying – seeing people brag about the 10 day cruise they went on.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Hope he didn’t get trapped in somebody’s back yard…next time there may be a big angry dog.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

I vaguely remember the boring vacation slides. I bit the bullet and got rid of my FB account a few weeks ago. It’s nice to get back to being more “present” and aware of what’s going on around me in the real off-line world. Haven’t missed it for one minute.

• Realme
      11:06 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

I quit Facebook years ago, but spend a lot of time interacting with strangers (Cats fans) on Twitter instead.

• I wish I could go to the Bahamas for the UK games and post some boring FB pics, but also, the $$$ are not there. And even if they were, $100 per game? Blech!

3. Realme
    10:28 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Do you think Cal wants them to get beat in the Bahamas, so he has their ear (and ego) from the beginning?

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Speaking from a coaching perspective, it might be the best thing for them. Get the egos out of the way early on, because with the number of players (guards in particular) on this team, egos will need to be checked at the door.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:37 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Only one loss with the rest decisive victories might be just the right balance but I want us t crush in every game.

Basketball in the summer feels almost too good to be true. The last Bahamas trip was of great advantage come opening day.
      Cannot wait!

• Realme
      10:39 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Me too, C&M. SO glad to be counting down to August instead of October. (and of course Sept. for FB).

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

I really hope it will be a big advantage since we play dook the first game.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

I can see the Warriors are going to wrap their arms around AD the whole series…refs can’t call ’em all.

• Realme
      10:30 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

What was the final score?

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

123-101.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

So instead of practicing “Hack-a-Shaq” they did “Brow-beating”?

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Yep, blatant. Coach was t’d up for protesting one no-call.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Matt has every right to dictate where the winner of the trip has to depart.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:39 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely.

• Realme
      10:41 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Yeah. He should have held his ground and provided the trip they won. If what he said was accurate. He does tend to give away trips and figure out the details later.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Still waiting for that fan party for beating Louisville in football a couple years ago…

6. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Spent the entire weekend felling dead ash trees on my property. Watched a lot of videos on YouTube to make sure I didn’t so a AFV style “drop it on the house” routine. Was proud of myself for dropping a 50-footer with a 16 inch trunk right in the slot I picked between a spruce and the front sidewalk. Did a plunge cut and everything (you’ll have to look that one up. ๐Ÿ™‚ ) So now when I have to call in the pro’s, I can talk shop with them about barber-chairing and widow makers. ๐Ÿ˜€ Oh, and today I am walking like John Wayne.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Good job, Pilgrim.

• Realme
      10:42 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

If I had a dollar for every rope I didn’t swing on because of AVF…

Impressive tree felling!

• CATandMONKEY
      10:53 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Excellent. I never had to deal with such tight quarters.
      RESPECT!

• You’re a regular Paul Bunyan!

• Seriously, great job!

The only 2 trees I’ve felled were way shorter, and nowhere near close to the house to worry about. One was close enough to the fence that I had to make sure it fell the right way, but it was still nowhere near what you did. It sounds like you could start a side business as a tree surgeon now.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

cg, NO WAY that I could do this for a living. Big time respect for the guys who do it all the time – danged hard work. Can’t describe the nervousness and big adrenaline rush when a big one starts to lean as you are cutting it.

I still have a couple that I am not about to try to tackle myself. Couple of big ones up close to the house and garage – one is leaning over the garage. Someone who really knows what they are doing (and has insurance) needs to take those down. I know my limits!

• Did you at least yell โ€œTIMBERRRRRR!!!โ€ when the big one fell to be dramatic?

Also, I did some yard work this weekend and Iโ€™m sore too. My back mostly.

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

RCF, I never cut down a tree before we moved into our current house about 3 years ago. Then I cut down several. Then I went a step further and made a Abe Lincoln-style split rail fence using the logs from those trees. It was a lot of fun, but I don’t think I would ever attempt that again. Agree on the hard work. I don’t see how those guys do it day in and day out and not have a lot of serious accidents.

• RealCatsFan
      11:45 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, nice work on the split rail fence. Would like to do that with some cedars on my property, but heck, where will that time come from? My wife’s old boss has a bunch of land in Simpsonville and his passion is building stone fences. Now that’s hard work AND craftsmanship!

• ClutchCargo
      11:52 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

It took me a couple of months of working at it an hour or two after work until dark to git r done. I had to get YouTube education on using steel edges and a sledge hammer, and I somehow managed to not mangle myself in the process.

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

*wedges

• I’ve been on mission trips to Scotland and the stone fences in Britain are beautiful, and some of them are very old. I’ve seen spots on TV where they show young guys continuing that tradition by learning the trade through an apprenticeship. I’ve also seen a similar one where they’re keeping the thatched roof tradition alive by having young guys learn how to do it.

7. runningunnin.454
    11:02 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Decision day for Romeo Langford; if he picks KU or Vandy, he’ll need a police escort. IU fans have been in a foul mood for a few years.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it will be reminiscent of Malik Monk choosing UK over dem hogs. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

It would be a lot worse if he was picking UK over IU, though. Either way, it is always good to see the IU fans pissed about something.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:58 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Matt talking about the Mini Marathon makes me miss those days. Ran it several years and it was fun! I think it was better back when I ran and the route went through Iroquois Park. Very peaceful and beautiful to take your mind off the pain of fighting those #($&#*ing hills. ๐Ÿ™‚

I remember being about half done and seeing the elite runners coming back the other way – since there was no full marathon back then, when they finished they would run back to the starting line to get the full 26.2. I still hate those dudes. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. You can tell if someone is lying by looking ABOVE their heads? And all these years ppl have told me you look at their eyes. Who knew? ๐Ÿ˜›