Matt’s back from Vegas to talk about the NCAA (Tuesday Show Thread)

North Carolina and the NCAA will be a hot topic on today’s show as Matt gets back to his regular radio routine following the weekend in Vegas. He’ll also talk a little basketball recruiting, what’s happening with UK Hoops, and a tale or two from Sin City.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

59 Comments for Matt’s back from Vegas to talk about the NCAA (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Welcome back uncle Matt! Should be some good stories, I have a feeling there will be a McDonalds story.

This UNC thing should be a good topic.

2. ukjaybrat
    9:59 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

If this thing at UNC happened instead at UK, we’d have a multi-sport death penalty. and no one would bat an eye lash because we would have deserved it. But since it’s UNC and good ole boy Roy, they get nothing. seems legit.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

The next time the NCAA tries to tell UK anything, we should tell them to go piss up a rope. If they’re not going to bust UNC for 18 years of mass scale academic fraud, then they have no teeth and no power to enforce anything. The NCAA should be disbanded.

• Realme
      10:29 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

100% agree, J-dub, but how do we not lose the best sporting event of the year (the bball tourney, of course) if the NCAA just goes down in flames?

• J-Dub421
      10:31 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Still host the tournament, just take the NCAA tag off of it. Kind of like the BCS series went away for a football playoff.

• I posted this yesterday, but if Cal just happened to look over a player’s shoulder while he’s writing a term paper and said “Hey, it’s ‘their’ not ‘there’ in that context”…DEATH PENALTY!!!

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

As much as it pains me to say this because they absolutely should be punished for hiring hookers for recruiting, if the NCAA tries to sanction U of L further, U of L should tell them to bugger off. Why should the rest of us play by the rules or get punished if we don’t, but UNC and Duke can have no rules and can do whatever they want??

• Realme
      10:45 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Leach had a good thought this morning, that if they use the women’s program as a scapegoat, a feminist group should go after them legally.

• ukjaybrat
      10:47 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

realme, as satisfying as that would be, it’ll never happen, because now that this is “over” it’ll be swept under the rug and we’ll never hear about it again. how often do you remember anybody on tv talking about it in the last year? not very often… it’ll be even less now that it doesn’t even reference men’s basketball or football

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

UNC’s women’s basketball team should file a title IX complaint if they’re made to be the scapegoats in this.

• Realme
      10:50 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Oh I know. The NCAA spent a year trying to figure out a way to not punish them and get away with it, and these amendments are their plan going into action. Nothing will happen.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

We all know why the NCAA “investigation” of UNC took so long, so they could figure out how to let them off scott free, just like Duke.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Woke up with heartburn this morning, and I thought it was from something I ate the night before; now I realize it is because of the ridiculous level of corruption shown by the NCAA.

Can we get that multi-school class action lawsuit going against the NCAA now?

4. Realme
    10:12 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I can’t even start on the injustice of the NCAA at this point. Instead, I’m pretty sure it’s time to stop thinking the women’s basketball defections are all coincidental. What in the world is going on, and how long can Mitchell / Barnhart go without providing any explanation?

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Maybe it’s a pre-emptive move to self-impose penalties in case the NCAA finds any fake AFAM classes attended by the men’s basketball program. πŸ˜‰

• Realme
      10:18 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Ha! Sadly reasonable explanation by NCAA standards.

• ukjaybrat
      10:19 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

yeah at first i didn’t think too much about it. but at a certain point if it walks like a mass exodus conspiracy cover up and talks like a mass exodus conspiracy cover up, then it must be a mass exodus conspiracy cover up

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I know there have been a few commenters who have implied that Coach Mitchell is a jerk behind the scenes, but could he be a bigger jerk than Geno Auriama? The whole thing is just weird.

• Yeah, it’s hard to believe something weird isn’t going on. Maybe not, but it seems very odd.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

No way Ryan’s wife is going to stand for him being massaged by a Bulgarian woman.

6. Realme
    10:15 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

So nice to have Matt back.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

So not Matt has something in common with Pitino – they both went down their leg. πŸ˜€

8. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

9. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I believe Mother Teresa died the same day as Princess Diana, and while Diana’s death was more tragic, it completely overshadowed a person who was widely regarded as a true modern-day saint.

10. sjk0000
    10:25 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Muhamed Ali

11. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Bill Gates?

Along the same lines – can anyone name a current musical artist of any genre who’s music would have the kind of staying power that compares with some of the big stars we have lost this year in Bowie, Prince, and Felder? I can’t think of any.

• It was Glenn Frey, and you make a good point.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

HaHa, just got done writing an email to a customer by that name – got mixed up. πŸ™‚

• catdaddyd
      10:33 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Mellencamp
      McCartney
      Garth
      Eagles
      Fleetwood Mac
      Dolly
      George Strait
      Willie Nelson

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

CatDaddy, what I was talking about is artists of the current generation, i.e., pop stars of today, i.e., Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, etc. Maybe those who hit it big in the current millennium.

• Decker
      11:00 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

The clear answer comes from a genre of music people haven’t touched on much and that’s rap. Biggest living stars right now may well be Snoop Dog and Doctor Dre.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

“They could still do that to UNC.”

Yeah, right, and unicorns are going to fly out of my ass today…

13. secrick
    10:33 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Matt, Find out what the hell is going on with the Women’s basketball program and let us know. Can’t listen to the show maybe he has already talked about it, if so can someone give me a brief rundown.

14. Laker Cat 18
    10:38 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I quit watching NASCAR the day Dale died.

• Realme
      10:43 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I could count the # of times I’ve watched it on my hands, but that’s definitely the last race I’ve watched too. It seemed like everything was fine, and he just needed to go to the hospital, and then all of the sudden they’re saying he’s dead.
      It’s kind of like Barbaro and Eight Belles ruined horse racing for me.

• Realme
      10:44 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Now I have depressed myself.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I’m a huge fan of anything with a loud motor, and the day that happened I had to run off to a ball game immediately after the race finished. When I got back home and my wife told me he had died, I was in shock. I agree that it was the beginning of the downward slope for NASCAR.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Matt apparently ran into “Rain Man” at the airport – although Rain Man refused to fly.

16. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

My wife forwarded a tweet that was a picture of a mock CNN broadcast that said “MORE SAD NEWS FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY – Kanye West is found alive in his apartment earlier today.” πŸ˜€

• ukjaybrat
      10:59 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

i saw that, hiularious

17. Ray in Paducah
    11:07 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Cal had to vacate a final four because Rose had somebody else take his ACT. Carolina had players over 20 years doing essentially the same and no big deal?

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Yep, and to add insult to injury, the NCAA had cleared Rose to play multiple times, and then conveniently changed their mind AFTER the tournament. Memphis absolutely should have sued the NCAA, out of principle if for no other reason.

• ukjaybrat
      11:16 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

because Rose “ALLEGEDLY” had somebody else take his ACT…

it was still never proven. so they punished memphis for something that was never proven

• Realme
      11:18 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

And Memphis is stupid, so instead of fighting for fairness / equal treatment with Duke, etc., they turn on Cal.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

UKJay, they punished Memphis because Rose refused to meet with the NCAA to answer questions about whether or not he took the test himself or had someone take it with him. Yet with Lance Thomas, since neither Thomas or the jeweler would talk to anyone and they settled out of court, the NCAA let it slide, even though there was PROOF that Thomas put down a huge sum of money for the jewelry, which would be extremely suspect for a kid his age to have. The more I think about this the madder I get. πŸ™

• J-Dub421
      11:29 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

UMass should have sued the NCAA after they didn’t punish Duke for playing Corey Maggette for an entire season when he was ineligible.

• ukjaybrat
      11:34 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

it’s hard to believe the NCAA DOESN’T understand what they are doing is complete bullshit. they are wildly inconsistent with every decision they make. how does no one see this ?

• J-Dub421
      11:36 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

We do see it, that’s why we’re angry. UNC and Duke are apparently untouchable. Rules are for the rest of us plebs.

• ukjaybrat
      11:40 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

well WE obviously see it, but no one on espn seems to care, there are 300+ other schools outside of Carolina that should be just as upset and they don’t seem to care.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I’ll put it this way – my 12 year old was upset that Prince died, and she knew his music. I have to wonder if her kids will feel the same way about, for example, Katie Perry or Justin Beiber.

19. lexfan
    11:13 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Well, this for sure means UofL won’t get any further sanctions.

• Realme
      11:15 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

As much as I hate the Cards, after this, I don’t think any school should be punished for anything.

20. canecat
    11:23 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

From Cats by awards: “bahnjo” Australian accent. “Do you know who we are?” “I’m Tyler Ullis”

T-shirt slogans

21. TomTraubertsBlues
    11:24 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I guess Matt doesn’t know the other meaning of “in through the out door”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

He also says later in the song that “she wasn’t too bright… but she knew how to give a kiss”. Matt’s kind of woman! πŸ˜‰

22. RealCatsFan
    11:32 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I was about as depressed as Shannon was when Wieland died, but I am also a huge STP fan.

23. NKBlue
    11:32 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Hey Matt, I’m in my early fifties and for me the death of The American Dream Dusty Rhodes stopped my world for a couple of days. I grew up a huge fan of his and was very saddened when he passed.

24. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

I think Keith Richards goes in twice a year for a fluid and filter change – blood transfusion and a liver transplant. When they bury him, they won’t even have to embalm him. He will be preserved by all the chemicals. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am April 26, 2016 Permalink

Keith Richards embalmed himself while alive long ago. I am convinced of this. He’s a walking mummy. πŸ˜‰