Matthew Bradford to be honored at tonight’s State of the Union

Tonight is the State of the Union and, for Kentuckians, a familiar face will be in the crowd. Corporal Matthew Bradford is one of 15 guests invited to the event by President Trump and First Lady Melania. He will be sitting in the first lady’s private box for tonight’s speech, which begins at 9 p.m.

“For me to be recognized by the President of the United States for going out and living life to the fullest, because it’s really what I try to urge other people to do is to go out and do things that they never thought they would do,” Bradford said.

By now you should be familiar with Bradford’s story. The former Marine lost his vision and both of his legs after stepping on a roadside bomb in Iraq back in 2007. After undergoing multiple surgeries and therapy, he reenlisted in the Marine Corps in 2010, the first blind double amputee to do so.

Last May, Bradford graduated from UK with two degrees and now works in Congressman Andy Barr’s office as the National Security Fellow, where he focuses on outreach to veterans. He also leads the Sixth District Veterans Coalition, competes in several wounded warrior athletic competitions, and is a close friend of UK Athletics, specifically Mark Stoops. If anyone in this world deserves to be honored tonight, it’s him.

[LEX18]

[mobile_ad]

12 Comments for Matthew Bradford to be honored at tonight’s State of the Union

1. Alleykat16
    11:38 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

GREAT piece or writing on a GREAT person I’m honored to be his fellow Ketuckian as a Vet myself I always wished that I would be that kind of man myself to be COURAGEOUS as he is I wish UK would give him life time seats at RUPP arena or KROGER field ever which sport he would like to attend lets try and get this to happen

2. PillsburyThrowboy
    12:02 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

Wow.

Whether Republican or Democrat, I think everyone will agree that man is a H-E-R-O. Absolutely incredible story and I wish I was half the man that he is. Nothing but respect for him and I wish him the best of luck for the rest of his life.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:35 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

What does party affiliation have to do with ANY of this?

• PillsburyThrowboy
      1:56 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

Well, he’s attending the State of the Union address. So I’m sure someone will find this political.

• Poppin’ Fresh is right. I fully expect someone to criticize Bradford for going because of who the POTUS is. I hope I’m wrong, and if I am, then great.

• Luether
      7:24 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

There will undoubtedly be some Democrats who will hate on Matthew Bradford as they regularly do with military and law enforcement officers…

This is what Democrats do…

3. CombatMedic_98
    5:51 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

PTBoy was stating the obvious…their is division in this country and that should always bring unity when we put our selfish desires aside and recognize those that have stood in harms way so we can all wake up and live have we want while others fight against the enemy and some return as a by-GOD-HERO from the great State of Kentucky!!!

4. CombatMedic_98
    11:52 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

As was obvious…Democrats sat…wanted to kneel if they could get back up…ole dry bones Pelosi!