Matt seems to think today’s show will be great (Tuesday Show Thread)

According to the Twitter machine, today’s show will be the greatest two-hour radio show of all time. How so, you ask? I guess you will have to tune in to listen. (I don’t know, either.)

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

66 Comments for Matt seems to think today’s show will be great (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:58 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Great podcast yesterday, made me laugh with the Whitely County trash. That is so Whitley County. Did KSR’s ratings come in yesterday too?

2. ukjaybrat
    9:59 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

No… NOOO… we are not allowed to have great shows on Tuesdays, I have a conference call I have to log in and mute and pretend to be participating in. I at least have to pay some attention which means i don’t get to listen to the show until later. 🙁

• Realme
      10:19 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

You’re not missing anything so far.

3. cats paw
    10:21 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

i know i know. get a football coach that can win fiotball games! that might help the avg fan…

10:28 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

need players to win games, need to recruit to get players. we’ve been recruiting pretty well… we’re now entering the phase where he should start winning games. if he can’t win games in the next couple of years, THEN the football haters can have something to complain about… not before then.

• Larry Pratt
      10:48 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think anyone is a football hater. They may get aggravated at lack of results. Just because someone doesn’t like losing doesn’t make them haters.

• symphonist41169
      10:50 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Hear hear!!

10:54 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

@Larry Pratt aka Long Dong Silver, do you have a method to your names or do you just pull stuff out of the air?

• Larry Pratt
      11:02 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Ukgaybrat, why don’t you stick to the discussion? Not everyone except you and your five friends are trolls or haters. You love to label.

• symphonist41169
      11:03 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Why do you care, Brat? He made a good point that sorta contracted your omnipotent proclamation so you immediately make an attack that has nothing to do with the post? I guess that makes him a “troll”… Who decided your opinion is the only one that’s right or relevant?

11:08 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

i didn’t call anyone a troll…
      i simply asked LDS a question.

you two morons are the ones that jumped into “troll talk”

• symphonist41169
      11:11 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

You were just beaten to the punch, Brat. You usually call everyone who disagrees with you a troll, as do most of the egocentric Millenials on here. Dare to disagree?? Why, they must be a troll!!!

• Larry Pratt
      11:12 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

See? More weak stuff from Brat. Better call in your buddies to run us off. Admit it, I got you. And I’m no moron. I’d wager my intelligence is at least the equal of you. More personal attacks. Stick to the discussion.

11:12 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

“Not everyone except you and your five friends are trolls or haters.”

in what way am I hating on anything… in the history of this blog, YOU haven’t said one positive thing about basketball OR football… i don’t doubt for a second that you aren’t even a UK fan… but whatever, you’re allowed to have your own opinions. just don’t blame me as a troll or hater just because i don’t agree with your incessant “pessimism,” if that’s what you want to call it…

• Larry Pratt
      11:13 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Symphonist, thank you for seeing it, too. And Brat, Larry Pratt is my real name. Figured I’d just use it. How’s that for transparency?

11:14 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

“More personal attacks. Stick to the discussion.”
      says the guy who JUST called me “Ukgaybrat”

dude, you are so contradictory it isn’t even funny anymore. you try to pretend you are taking the high road, but you are incapable of making rational conversation.

• symphonist41169
      11:15 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

“Kettle, thou art black…”

• Larry Pratt
      11:15 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Brat’s going off on tangents again. Stick to the discussion. You called everyone haters that doesn’t like losing in football. You’re wrong. That doesn’t make them haters.

• Larry Pratt
      11:17 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Brat, you have nothing to stand on. You lose.

11:17 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

LDS, you find me one positive comment you’ve made in this blog EVER, and I will concede that you are not a troll/hater. otherwise, my opinion of you was formed long ago. til then, you two can pretend i’m the bad guy here… i don’t care, your opinion of me means nothing.

• Larry Pratt
      11:19 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Brat, it’s over. Done. You made a false assertion. And got called on it.

11:20 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

you claim that your “intelligence is at least the equal of” mine, but fail to realize that your statement was not contradictory to mine. both of our statements can be true. but you’re too wrapped up in the “You’re right and i’m wrong” line of thinking that you didn’t even notice.

• symphonist41169
      11:22 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Then why are you crying like a little b**ch when somebody calls you out on something?

• Larry Pratt
      11:23 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Symphonist, exactly. The lack of maturity is really showing.

• Larry Pratt
      11:25 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Calling it like it is doesn’t make anyone a hater or troll. Maybe when UK football does something positive, you’ll see more positive comments. Telling the truth doesn’t make one a hater.

11:25 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

no one has called me out on anything…. LDS claims there is no such thing as haters but fans that are upset with losing… this is an untrue statement as there are in fact people that hate UK football… UK is the most hated football team in the state of Kentucky, therefore haters exist. I didn’t say EVERYONE is a hater. just that those that exist have nothing to complain about as far as coaching, and that point was never disputed. if you weren’t so busy just agreeing with LDS, you would have noticed that logic.

also, “Kettle, thou art black…” with that whole “crying like a little b–ch” part…

• Larry Pratt
      11:29 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Brat, you have serious denial issues. You would argue that 2 + 2 do not equal 4. All day you would argue after you’ve been called out.

• symphonist41169
      11:30 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

You’re beginning to get delusional, so I must be going. It’s impossible to debate anything with someone who refuses to see or acknowledge logic but is only interested in make sweeping proclamations and if anyone dares disagree they must be a hater or a troll.

11:32 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I haven’t seen a shred of logic from either of you… but ok

• Larry Pratt
      11:34 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Symphonist, you are correct. Enough of this. Illogical people give me a headache. I have better things to do.

• symphonist41169
      11:34 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

“Denial” isn’t just a river in Egypt, Brat….

• Dizzyd2k3
      11:52 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Nooooo!!! Please keep going! This is better than this french fry talk!

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I suppose “Larry” or “Mr Dong” (reminds me of the scene from “Bachelor Party” with “Nick the Dick” when Tom Hanks asked him if he preferred to be addressed as “Nick” or “Mr. Dick” 🙂 ) will probably include me as one of the “five friends”, but the fact that he has to come on here and use a different name every time is kind of humorous. That is a hallmark of an internet troll:

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm April 19, 2016 Permalink

Oh, and before you guys jump on me to accuse me of being a Stoops apologist, I want to say that I am as sick of our football team losing as anyone. I was one of the ones jumping off the Brooks bandwagon when things looked pretty bad, but then it swung around and we started competing in games. I was still disappointed that 2007 and 2008 did not go better then they did (still couldn’t beat florida or Tenn), but after that, I learned that you rarely see an instant turnaround in football, especially at a basketball school like UK. That being said, I think the Joker Phillips hire was the most disappointing thing to happen with UK football since they let Bear Bryant get away to Alabama. That truly set us back ten years.

12:03 pm April 19, 2016 Permalink

that third link: “Internet trolls are narcissists, psychopaths, and sadists”

it’s funny because serial killer shave many of the same attributes lmao

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:06 pm April 19, 2016 Permalink

I think you guys are just trying to see how long you can stretch out these roman numerals…

12:09 pm April 19, 2016 Permalink

i don’t remember when, but I’ve seen it get up over 50 once

• papasnapper
      1:09 pm April 19, 2016 Permalink

Holy freakin’ crap, people! 33 replies of nothing but “rubber and glue” comments. Not going to take a side in this squabble, you’re all just blathering along, yada, yada, yada…

4. onsides
    10:26 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I’ve split season tickets with my dad for the last 18 years. We didn’t renew. I’ve seen some amazing games in Commonwealth, but it’s not worth the investment. We’re going to one away SEC game and that’s fine.

• Realme
      10:29 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

You can always buy some single game tickets if you miss it. Not exactly gonna sell out.

• onsides
      10:46 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

You’re right and we probably will. I’m not hating. We’ve been treated like garbage by uk athletics. 11 years ago we asked if we could buy tickets without buying a parking pass because we parked at Morton or parked in the neighborhood and cut through arboretum. 10 years ago when we politely told UK to go f themselves because we’re not paying for a parking pass we never use, UK said ‘you really don’t need to buy one and you won’t be charged.’ Why the h have I been forced to buy a parking pass then? It’s not even a matter of cash, it’s the principle.

• Realme
      10:55 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

The last few years when they sold as many season tickets as they could, and then started selling the multi game bundles with no k fund, seemed like a slap in the face to people paying for season tix. I don’t blame you guys for being mad. However, if they ever start winning, people would probably be willing to put up with the things that clearly are bothering a lot of people right now.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:33 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Coach Brumbaugh getting a $50,000 per year raise is absolutely insanity. I would like to know the reasoning for that decision. $250,000 is plenty for a mediocre D-line coach. I truly feel our D-line has regressed over the past few years.

10:39 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

i don’t think they’ve gotten “worse” but i would agree they haven’t gotten much better. i agree he has not earned that much of a raise. so unless i’m missing something, i partly agree

• I need to go back to school and major in “Being a D-1 College Football/Basketball Coach”. I’m in the wrong business with the kind of money that gets thrown at D-1 coaches these days, including assistants, and even in some of the garbage conferences. I remember reading that John Pelphrey was making half a million as head bball coach at South Alabama. SOUTH ALABAMA!!! And that was several years ago. I believe he at least doubled that when he went to Arkansas. He flamed, but look at the dough he made even though his record was awful.

11:09 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

but imagine the work-life balance. you make a lot of money but how much time do you get to spend with your family?

was talking with a guy about baseball players. and the reason their contracts are so huge in part is because they have a much better union than other sports, but also because they are basically on the road for 10 months out of the year.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:15 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I think I need to ask my bosses for a raise. Not $50,000 a year, but $1 an hour should work.

• True that. I’ve heard that’s why a lot of the successful pro athletes who’ve actually taken care of their money don’t want any part of coaching. One of the guys on Cincy radio (Lance McAlister I think) mentioned that once. A caller had said something about making Andrew Whitworth an assistant when he’s done playing because he’s such a great mentor to the younger O linemen, but Lance talked about the grind that is NFL coaching and how many ex-players just don’t want it.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:16 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

You know what you get into when you are a coach. You better have a give and take relationship with your family. That’s part of it.

11:27 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

LC18, yeah and i am sure most of them pretty much know what they are getting into by the time they are on this level.

• RealCatsFan
      11:34 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Laker, it was probably the same reasoning that gave Stoops a huge raise and contract extension immediately after the USC win two seasons ago, and shortly before we went on a 5 game losing streak to close out the season. Last year was rinse and repeat. Sadly, I am in a similar emotional state with football that I was in Brooks’ second or third season. Nearing apathy. Fortunately, soon after that Brooks brought the team to a turnaround and they started winning and competing. I am holding out a faint glimmer of hope that Stoops will be able to do the same, but we will have to wait and see.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:35 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

People always automatically assume that because a player played the position well means they will coach it well. There is a huge difference between playing and coaching.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:38 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

RCF, I agree with you. I’m not quitting on the team yet! I’m hoping the next two years are enough to keep Stoops here. We need the stability. We also need coaches who make good decisions.

With that said, naming Barker the starter at this point in the year is insane in itself in my opinion. It puts us up on a tee for Southern Miss.

11:39 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

similarly, just because someone is a really good coordinator, doesn’t mean they will be a good HC… joker pretty much epiotmized that

11:41 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

having selected barker as the starter probably isn’t a terrible idea, he IS the only one with D1 experience (even if just a little), but yes, announcing it as fact this early isn’t really smart. I don’t really know what they get out of that. If i was a coach I wouldn’t say anything. I don’t know why they feel the need to talk so much. I get PR is one thing, but still

11:41 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

If it weren’t for scoop lemond, Cal almost NEVER tells anyone whether a player was playing or not or starting or not.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:42 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Right now, I could put Stoops in that category as well.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:44 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I agree with that. It’s better to not talk at all than to talk too much. Unless there is a shot Johnson or Hoak see significant playing time in game one (which I do not see happening), nothing should have been stated about starters this early.

6. I just read Freddie Maggard’s take on the Kevin Williams possible transfer to UK, and he said “Mark Stoops is a defensive lineman and third offensive tackle away from being pretty darn good.”

If he’s right (and who knows at this point?), it makes me think how much better we could be this fall if we get Williams and if that O lineman from Ohio State had worked out (not to mention of Jason Hatcher could have stayed off the weed). With Tate, Drake and Landon coming in to shore up the line, we could have had a GREAT O line in 2017 and beyond, maybe this fall. I hope we do anyway, but the Ohio State guy would sure have helped solidify that.

7. cav3
    11:42 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I loved Raymond. I’ve seen every episode at least twice. If you don’t have a wife, kids and in-laws you wouldn’t appreciate it as much.

• Realme
      11:46 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I think you’re right, watched it some, and Debra’s need to call her husband “idiot” sometimes, or aggravation at the intrusiveness of in-laws was very familiar / amusing to me.

8. symphonist41169
    11:44 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

Matt’s talking about a PLURALITY rather than a majority.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:46 am April 19, 2016 Permalink

I occasionally watched “Everybody Loves Raymond”. It was definitely not “Seinfeld”, but it had its moments. My parents liked it a lot, and I think it resonated with older viewers a lot more. Ray Romano was always the straight man in the comedy. The actors who played his parents, Doris Roberts and Peter Boyle (who was also the monster in “Young Frankenstein”) were the best on the show – they were often times hilarious. I really liked Doris Roberts, like Betty White, she was a great lady. May she rest in peace.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:10 pm April 19, 2016 Permalink

Doris Roberts was also Mildred Krebs, the secretary/part-time investigator who provided most of the comic relief on “Remington Steele” alongside Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist. That’s probably when Roberts truly became a household name.

10. Realme