Matt is back with Jared Lorenzen as today’s co-host (Tuesday Show Thread)

Matt’s back from his trip to New York and he has Jared Lorenzen filling in for the vacationing Ryan Lemond on today’s show. They have a ton to talk about from both sports, so buckle up and tune in for a jam-packed two hours of Kentucky Sports Radio radio.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

49 Comments for Matt is back with Jared Lorenzen as today’s co-host (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:57 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Story time from Uncle Matt… Really wish I could make it out to the show tomorrow. If it was in Lexington I could possibly do it.

Great show yesterday with the Sunday Morning crew.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:07 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Who’s the GOP leader right now? I like Rubio, but don’t think he can beat Hillary. I think Trump can. Sounds like we’ll have to pick our poison.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Was listening to the radio this morning, and a recent poll suggested that 30% of the nation would be embarrassed to have Hillary as president, but 50% would be embarrassed with Trump as president. If those are the only two poisons that we have to pick from, then we are truly in a sorry state. Please, America, let’s get a third party option!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:23 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I agree. It would be very hard to choose between those two. Hopefully one of the more level headed candidates separate themselves.

• The Rest of the story
      10:34 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Hey you guys this is a sports!

• DrSayre
      10:48 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Im afraid if it’s Hillary and Trump, then the primary 3rd party person would be somebody like Romney. Which I dont know about everybody else, but I would be then looking for the 4th party person…

• Laker Cat 18
      11:29 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Yeah. You know we’re down as a country when these are the best we can offer.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

We HAVE to beat Louisville. At this point, I’m not sure if we will. Too soft inside.

4. Realme
    10:13 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Who cares about Selection Sunday right now? WE GOTTA BEAT LOUISVILLE IN 4 DAYS!!!!!!!!

5. KevinM
    10:14 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

We’ll beat the team who owns the 130+ rated schools as we’ve seen this year.

Is Jared satisfied that the current changes are enough to contend next year?

6. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

We need to hope that UCLA and OSU both have much better than expected seasons, and also take care of business against Louisville. If both of those happen, and we don’t have multiple bad losses during conference season, then we should be in line for a decent seed in the tournament.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

My heart wants to say that we will beat Louisville on Saturday, but my head is telling me that we may very well lose by double digits. I hope my heart is right this Saturday!

• Laker Cat 18
      10:35 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I’m thinking the exact same thing.

8. The Rest of the story
    10:32 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Beating UL is really gonna be tough if Skal is on the floor a lot. He is a turnover eveytime he touches the ball with guys around him. Our guards have got to be on and hit some 3’s or we lose by double digits. Please Cal play Lee and Poy to start and let Skal sit.

9. UKinIN
    10:35 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

The problem with this UK team goes back to the last second recruiting over the summer. Next year’s team has a player for every position. This year’s team is a collection of scraped together pieces that don’t make a team.

• Realme
      10:36 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

don’t make a team *yet*.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:39 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see how that is a factor. Our best player on the court was the last one to commit. We desperately needed that last second recruiting.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Damn good thing we were able to get Murray to reclassify and commit. It would be ugly without him.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

You got that right.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:43 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I saw a team beat Duke. We can play as a team, with effort from all players; why we are NOT doing so , consistently is the issue. No panic button yet.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:05 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Good point. I would like to see that team that beat Duke again soon.

10. Realme
    10:42 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

This team is young age wise and young in togetherness. No summer trip to bond and develop, not much returning experience. It will look much more like a team in 2 months than it does now. I will take someone like Murray as late as he wants to join, and have the common sense to expect them to need a little time.

• The Rest of the story
      10:45 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Ohio St. was young age and experience and togetherness too so please explain that.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Rest, maybe OSU just found their moment to come together as a team. Maybe they just needed a really big game and a name foe like UK to gather up the cohesiveness and become a team. UK seemed to rise to the occasion against Duke, and against the teams that they were expected to beat, they seemed to fall back to going through the motions. That is the hallmark of a young team. I bet OSU stumbles in their next game. Hopefully, our young Cats will be up for the UofL game and be ready to rally as a team.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Ohio State isn’t as young as we are, nor did they lose their entire starting 5 from last season like we did. We played a 10 player rotation before Alex went down, we only returned 3 of those players.

11. The Rest of the story
    10:43 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Why doesn’t Cal play Humphries more often? He seems to play with energy and doesn’t turn the ball over when he is in there and his big body takes up space.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

That is one thing that I will definitely agree with you about. He didn’t even see the floor against OSU. Willis was supposedly injured, but no excuse offered for Humphries while Skal was struggling. Did anyone bring it up inn the post game interviews?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:57 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I agree about Humphries. Need to at least give him more of a chance when Skal can’t be physical enough to grab a board.

12. UKinIN
    10:44 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

We’re having too many conversations about this team’s success being tied to Poythress and Lee. One is a senior, the other is a junior, neither is going to lead a team to a Final Four. They are both complimentary pieces. Other players are going to have to lead.

• The Rest of the story
      10:49 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

We have no one else up front to take their place so who are you dreaming of there. Skal suddenly looking like AD, Wynyard being a monster? Not going to happen my friend one is too undeveloped and the other is too green. If we do not make it with Alex and Lee then this is an NIT team.

• UKinIN
      11:07 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know that anyone can really step up inside. The answer might be that Murray has to average 25 a game and the rest of the team cleans up his misses.

13. secrick
    10:49 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Tyler will be the difference maker on Sat. GO CATS.

14. UKinIN
    10:57 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Will someone tell Jared that “verse” and “versus” are two different words with different meanings?

15. J-Dub421
    11:12 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Sean Miller doesn’t belong in the same breath as those other coaches. Let me know when he makes at least a Final Four.

• 2thepoint
      11:22 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Agree 100% J-Dub! Also not to forget player development!

16. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I’m not so sure that UofL will face any major repercussions from HoGate. After all, they are now members of the ACC, and you can bet that Daddy Jurich will slide some $$$ under the table to Emmert to make this go away, just like UNC and Duke did. Things have become awfully quiet.

• UKinIN
      11:17 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Do Duke and UNC have NCAA protection or ESPN protection?

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

They’re on and the same, aren’t they?

17. UKinIN
    11:19 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Was the Duke game the last time that Ulis controlled a game?

18. Laker Cat 18
    11:20 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Skal – His job is to bang inside and grab boards. He’s soft and weak as water. I’m not seeing a contributor at the NBA level with him whatsoever.

Lee – His job is to clean up misses under the basket and to block shots. He’s doing both very well.

Poythress – In year 3, he is the same player we saw his freshman season. He has improved very little and doesn’t have the mentality to be a team leader like we all want him to be with his “experience.”

Murray – He’s the GAM on this team. The player role I thought Ulis was going to embrace is what Murray has taken on. He is cut-throat.

Ulis – He is supposed to be the floor general, but it’s hard when he is playing in the shadow of another guard for the 2nd straight year. He’s doing about what I expected out of him so far.

Briscoe – His job is to penetrate the lane and score or get to the foul stripe. The issue is that he shoots 38% from the free throw line. That’s a big problem.

With all that said, I trust in Cal!

• 2thepoint
      11:25 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Did Cal try to smoke us with that 72% high free throw shooting stat for Briscoe? I really like him a lot, but he has to get better mechanics quick.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

His mechanics don’t look that bad to me. I just see it in his eyes each time he steps up there that he is getting tight and expecting to miss it. It’s all in the head with Briscoe.

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I expected more out of Ulis so far this season.

• Realme
      11:54 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I still think Tyler will go down in history as a bulldog, but now that he is not perfect at least all the “so glad the Twins are gone” people have shut up.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Agreed Realme. The Andrew hate got out of control last season, and it was ridiculous and undeserved.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:57 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

I expected more out of Ulis as well prior to the season. That changed for me when Murray was a lot better than I thought he would be. I think that overshadows what Ulis does at times. He’s still a good player for us. I like players who do their job well and don’t worry about carrying the team and scoring all the time. Ulis and Lee are two of those.

19. Laker Cat 18
    11:31 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Ohio State did the same thing toward Skal. They were punking him out mentally and physically very early in the game. They were yapping at him and bumping him around and he was flopping around like a rag doll.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:42 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Can we get Sandra Bullock to come out to campus and bring out the protective instinct in Skal, a’la Blind Side? for that matter, can we just get her on campus anyway?

21. bakju keha