Matt is back to take the mic from Ryan (Monday Show Thread)

Matt Jones is back in the Bluegrass to take his show back from Ryan Lemond. Tune in to hear what he has to say about the weekend and what’s ahead.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

49 Comments for Matt is back to take the mic from Ryan (Monday Show Thread)

1. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Let’s get this Diallo decision out of the way so we can move on. I am convinced that he is gone, but we’ll see. Hopefully we will end up getting Cam Johnson to help with our shooting. I for one think that Johnson will be a better fit for us. As much as the prospect of highlight reel plays from Diallo excites me, we really need the experience and proven shooting that Johnson brings to the table.

• ukjaybrat
      10:18 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

i’ve been out of the loop for a few days and am binge-casting last weeks shows. BUT it sounds like we are in pretty good position to get at least one of them to sign/stay. so i’m happy with that.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Exactly; Drew said in previous post reportedly he has made his decision…well, let’s hear it.
      I’ve not been annoyed until now, so let’s move on.

10:20 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

If I got to pick, I’d choose to be able to watch the athletic freak show play for UK. But I am glad Johnson seems to be waiting, because I’d love to have him if Diallo has received the news he wanted to hear.

10:20 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

I would think the fact that we don’t have an answer yet means he may really be thinking about it, that it’s not a done deal.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Diallo would definitely give UK more attention on Sports Center. But we will get Johnson for two years instead of one.

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

my guess is his “decision” is that if diallo stays in the draft he’s coming to uk but otherwise he’s going to [somewhere else]. Which means he can’t announce his decision until after diallo decides. makes sense to me anyway

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Rawle Alkins decided to return to Arizona, and Chase Jeter (Duke) announced he’s transferring to Arizona. Johnson can’t transfer to UNC without sitting out a year because they’re an ACC school. If Diallo stays in the draft, I think Johnson is ours.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

The fact that a HOCKEY TEAM can generate that much excitement in Nashville should be Exhibit A that an NBA team can be successful in Kentucky. Especially if it is marketed properly. Call them the Thoroughbreds, or resurrect the Colonels name, get a good logo, cool uniforms, have the games at YUM, and make sure you have at least a few ex-UK stars (and maybe and ex-Card coming off the bench πŸ™‚ ), and I think you have the recipe for success. Kentucky NEEDS and NBA team, IMO.

10:23 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

I agree with what you said. I also really, really miss the Thoroughblades today, because I watched part of that Predators game, and was reminded how awesome hockey is.

• Stallions??? Γ°ΕΈΛœΕ“

Seriously, I vote for Colonels, but Thoroughbreds would be cool too. They definitely can’t hire a “walk the ball up the court” type coach with a name like that.

Next, get an NHL team and ressurect the “Thoroughblades” nickname!

• Sorry Realme, I made the Thoroughblades reference before I read your comment.

11:25 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Chris, I love that idea too!

• 2Dogs
      11:51 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

RCF – I love basketball but I don’t see an NBA team being successful in Kentucky. I’m sure they would draw some fans but I don’t think they’ll fill up an arena 41 times per year. I may be in the minority but I like the fact there are no pro teams in Kentucky and we can focus on the college teams.

11:53 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

A lot of the lesser teams don’t often fill their arenas. I don’t think that’s the standard. Need to be profitable, not sold out.

3. Realme
    10:42 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

What day(s) do I need to listen to Matt pissing off Finebaum listeners? I know it’s this week, but not which days. Should be fun to listen to.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Is that the TV show on the SEC network, or a radio show….I don’t know where to find the radio show if there is one?

• ukjaybrat
      10:48 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

same thing

10:50 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

It’s usually both. It’s aired on radio and SEC Network TV at the same time. Probably on ESPN radio, but I’m not sure. I plan to podcast afterwards rather than listen to four hours of commercials live.

10:52 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

*but Matt says it’s not on tv this week.

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

He should say, “Let’s talk about the Clemson game”.

• Yes, it is on ESPN radio, but not NATIONAL radio, if that makes sense. It’s broadcast regionally. Ryan Rusillo and Bomani’s shows are on national radio during that time.

You can stream the audio here:

4. J-Dub421
    10:47 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

How about our softball team making the Super Regionals. Go Cats!!

5. Realme
    10:53 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Dawson thinks he is such a great caller.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Seems like I recall reading that Enes’ father HAD to publicly disown him to avoid persecution.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

If Enes had been deported back to Turkey, there is a possibility he could have been executed. I put nothing past that psycho Erdogan.

11:24 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

I’ve wondered about this for a while. No question the guy in power is bad news. But is supporting a coup better? In other words would Kanter’s guy that failed to take over have been all about freedom? I’m totally ignorant of Turkish politics, I just wonder because usually when the military or whoever seizes control of a country, it’s just another dictatorship. I think Enes’s high visibility gives him the chance to make a difference, but I don’t know enough about the solution he would want to see.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Turkey’s current president is now a dictator. They have “elections.” Erdogan either murders of imprisons anyone who opposes him. I can’t definitively say Enes guy would be better, but he couldn’t possibly be worse.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:56 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Tens of thousands of police and government workers have been fired and thousands imprisoned by the current regime. I will support Enes against the travesty-of-a-government that holds power in Turkey.

11:57 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

I guess the point is, get Erdogan out and at least there’s an opening for things to improve.

7. J-Dub421
    11:20 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Am I the only one who can’t stand those Conway-Heaton commercials with Shannon the Dude?

• You ought to hear the Budget Used Car Sales commercials where I live. I don’t know if this jingle is national or local, but it’s a SEVERE ear worm (“Why.buy.NEWWWWWW, when you buy a Budget!?”), and some local stations must have only them as their sponsor.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

I basically remove my earbud when the commercials come on so I don’t have to listen to them. I’ll take the Conway-Eaton over the Genetal Diamond commercials and the boner-med commercials any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

CG, we get the drunken Tony Moledo commercials for Budget here in Louisville. He’s a big Cards fan, BTW – figures. πŸ˜‰

11:26 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

I have to remove the earbuds for Magic Vapor Shop and the Family Minute guy.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

“Family Minute Guy” makes me feel like the dad on “Family Guy”.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Mitchell is a prime example of why white folks should not try to rap – or dance. πŸ˜‰

9. Realme
    11:30 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Benny’s tattoo will be fine once he fills in around it. It’s no “earned not given.”

10. J-Dub421
    11:49 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Rich Brooks = life goals.

11. Realme
    11:51 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

This is so horrible I would rather listen to KY Joe. Never said that before.

12. J-Dub421
    11:54 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Are these people drunk?

11:55 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Drunk on “about to have a baby” apparently.

13. Realme
    11:54 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Go home callers, you’re drunk.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Ha! Great minds think alike. Maybe she was having contractions…

11:56 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

This is as incoherent as a Ryan Amanda periscope.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:57 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Ha! Glad you said it so I didn’t have to.

14. Realme
    11:59 am May 22, 2017 Permalink

Only here would we talk about such a wide range of topics in one morning. πŸ™‚