Matt Elam will visit Kentucky again this weekend

Matt Elam will be back in Lexington for another look at the University of Kentucky this weekend, his high school coach told Steve Jones of The Courier-Journal. Elam will attend the Cats’ basketball game against Georgia on Saturday as part of the unofficial visit, one week after taking an official visit to Alabama.

John Hardin head coach Chad Lewis also told the C-J that Elam expects to meet with coaches from Kentucky and Alabama in Elizabethtown on Wednesday.

Article written by Drew Franklin

66 Comments for Matt Elam will visit Kentucky again this weekend

1. MESR (Matt Elam Sports Radio)
    1:50 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

This morning Matt Elam woke up at 7 oclock. He had eggs, hash browns, sausage, and bacon for breakfast. Reports are that he then got a 78% on his math text, after missing the bonus question at the end. He then took a trip to the bathroom at school, probably to take a child sized dump after his massive breakfast. Then he went to lunch where we hear he ate fried chicken, a biscuit, corn and drank milk. More to follow on Matt Elam Sports Radio.

• grumpycat
      2:25 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I suspect you meant this post to be mean-spirited, but I laughed really hard either way.

• MESR (Matt Elam Sports Radio)
      3:23 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

No, I didn’t mean it to be mean. Just a light hearted joke about how much coverage KSR gives this kid. I hope we get him, but God I’m sick of hearing about all his visits and all the twists and turns in the process. Glad to have made you laugh.

• Ukfan
      3:40 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

We aren’t used to the exposure from football recruiting usually reserved for programs like Alabama and OSU. I do hope we get him. I think he can be the main player on defense. Stopping the run is the key to an effective defense and it starts with a great nose tackle. Hope he picks UK. Go CATS!!!!

2. ElamFan
    1:50 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I will take this as somewhat good news. I always felt that if he got home from his official with Bama without committing we were still in the mix. I really think he is torn and not so much to do with wanting attention. Now, cue the trolls……..

• Ukfan
      3:20 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I agree. Probably the toughest decision up to this point in the young man’s life. Go Cats!!!!

3. UKwildcat_fanatic
    1:54 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Drama Queen!

• classof68
      3:27 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

He does appear to be milking this for all it’s worth. Wonder how good he really is. Rivals has him only a 3 star.

• Ukfan
      3:41 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Its between Alabama and us to get him. He had offers from OSU and Notre Dame, among others. Do you really think Rivals 3 star rating him is all that important?

4. BlueRedNeck
    1:54 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I agree with #2 – I think it is less a situation with loving the spotlight and more of him having trouble deciding. It’s a major decision for him. I think his heart says Kentucky, and his mind says ‘Bama makes the most sense. I think the best thing for BBN to do is to step back and let the young man make his decision.

• WildcatTim
      2:06 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Here here, too bad this probably won’t happen. It is BBN you’re talking about after all.

5. Billy
    2:07 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

This guy is not going to make or break UK. Trust me.

• Ukfan
      3:23 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

True, but wouldn’t it be awesome if he committed to UK. Look at how good Larry Warford is doing in the NFL.

6. Kimberly Jackson
    2:08 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Hey guys, UK cheerleader Kimberly Jackson here. You guys might remember my recruitment a couple years ago and the crazy tough decision I had to make on where to take my cheerleading talents. As you guys all know I am from Alabama, so it was a really hard decision to choose between staying home and being a hero or competing for national championships every year at a powerhouse like UK. I just want to say I know what Elam is going through. I had friends and strangers coming up to me all the time telling me to come be a hero and this and that. I’ll never forget setting up my announcement at the All-American Cheerleading Meets but then cancelling because I just wasnt sure where I wanted to go. Ultimately, I chose UK because I’m really good at cheering, but I hope Elam makes the decision I couldn’t and stays here to play for his home state. Go Cats and Go Krogering.

2:11 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I really wish this site wasn’t made from 1990’s technology, so I could up-vote this ^^.

• Pretending to be a cheerleader online?
      2:23 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Interestingly enough, Kimberly, UK doesn’t seem to think that you are a UK cheerleader. There isn’t even anyone from Alabama on the roster, male or female. Before you make stuff up next time, you might want to check stuff like that. You do bring up a good point, but the make believe stuff you came up with around it just looks stupid.

• Seriously?
      2:35 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

“Pretending to be a cheerleader online? ”

Type google.com in your browser and then search for “satire”. Then, come back and re-read that post.

• JT Kimbrell
      2:42 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Wow! Of course we all remember your recruitment (NOT). You cheerleaders really have a higher opinion of your worth than the rest of us do. Do you reaIly think any of us view cheerleaders as heroes? I hope your post is a hoax, because if you’re for real, you need to find a good psychiatrist.

• Big Dave
      3:47 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Satire. Some people just don’t get it.

• Chris Mills
      3:36 pm January 23, 2014 Permalink

Hi. Chris Mills here. I remember when I was being recruited, I had a very difficult time choosing between playing for UK or becoming an executive with Fed Ex. I made my decision based solely on the salaries offered and, as it turns out, I made the right decision!!!

7. Insider
    2:13 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I heard this from E-Town today: Elam is on an un-official visit so he can tell Stoops personally that he has given his verbal to Alabama.

• Ukfan
      3:25 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

LOL….whatever.

8. jezz
    2:17 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

“Tonight’s game is likely to be a difficult to watch, ugly affair as Texas A&M tries to muck up the play.”

How about imposing our will to them from the get go and not let them make it ugly ? How about blowing them up in the first half ? How about that ? Sounds good ?

• catlogic15
      2:28 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Isn’t that the dang truth? When will we ever dominate anybody?

9. Sk54
    2:26 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Point blank….the kid needs to go to Alabama. It would be great for us, but bad for him. If he picks UK over Alabama, that would essentially be like that PG Mudiay going to SMU over a top b-ball program like UK. Kids shouldn’t be pressured to please a bunch of in-state people that only care about their team. I am a huge UK fan, but if my son had a chance to go to the TOP program in the country, I would drive him there. Either way, I wish him luck. Lets worry about the now. Beat the Aggies!

• jezz
      2:30 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Not always true. A dude like Tim Couch could have been buried behind great QBs at top programs.

• Ghost rider
      3:26 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Dude, basketball is a lot different then football. So there is no comparison there. You know nothing about sports. He could go to Alabama and never be a starter in his four years.

• Ukfan
      3:27 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

UK has its fair share of players in the NFL. Stoops has proven he can develop players for the next level. Go Cats!!!

• Eric
      4:01 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

False.

Kentucky has had some pretty crappy teams in the last 20 years, but we have also had players go in the 1st round (some in the top 10). Dwayne Robertson went fourth overall. In football, competing against the best and getting recognition is the most important thing. The cream always rises to the top, no matter where youre at. If he is as good as advertised, he could be picked in the same spot regardless of where he goes.

if you want to say he should go to bama because he can compete for championships (which is a valid argument) then yeah, choose bama. Kentucky can get him to the top 10 in the draft just as easily as bama if he has the work ethic. It isnt like he going to be playing poop state if he came to Kentucky. He will be on TV every weekend here too.

10. JayOne
    2:27 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

If the game is ugly tonight it will be our Cats fault. If we come out and play tough defense, stay alert on offense and play high IQ basketball the game will get ugly alright. It will get ugly for A&M because we are blowing them out. If we sleep walk again as soon as the National Anthem is sung it will be a dog fight until the end. That should not be if we are serious.

11. ElamNot
    2:28 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

…playing games!

12. Fuzzy the Trucker
    2:31 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I think Elam has turned himself into a head case. Young man, do us all a favor and go to WKU where you can get the attention you want.

13. Sk54
    2:45 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

At the time it was a bad move for Couch, especially with Curry still there. He essentially went to a program that did not run an offense he could excel in. Alabama is a D-line factory. If Elam has it, he’ll make it there. Besides would you rather go someone to hopefully have .500 conference record or go somewhere that will be title hunting each year he is there.

• Ukfan
      3:29 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

And how do you get above .500 conference record? By bringing in talented players like Elam. Stoops can develop players too. Look at how well his FSU defense is doing.

14. cdc_uky
    2:49 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Kid is smart. Milking his recruitment and getting free b-ball tickets. Why the hell wouldn’t he?

15. BoomKentucky
    2:52 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

It’s got to be a hard decision to make. Play for a national championship or try to do some big but smaller things at UK. Seems to me he really wants to come but its hard to past up the opportunity to play for Bama.

16. Seriously PT 2
    2:57 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

JT Kimbrell *Sigh* you guys are dumb

17. CATandMONKEY
    3:01 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Certainly the meetings with both Tide and Wildcat coaching staffs will be held at the now 5 year-old remodel at Shoneys.

18. CURIOUS
    3:04 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Either place he is not in SEC condition. So it is my guess that he would get immediate PT at UK due to the lack of competition. Would sit for a year at least at Alabama.

• Ukfan
      3:31 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Lack of competition??? Are you kidding me. UK plays as tough a schedule as Alabama. Stop making up lies.

• Derp
      4:44 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Lack of competition for a starting position…

19. schwing
    3:21 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

maybe skip desert tonight. take a walk around the neighborhood. potentially both? is that asking too much?

20. Several uk players in Super Bowl
    3:29 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Matt, I’m guessing ur reading this, (obviously social media crap is ur gig). Look man, go with ur heart, hell, if ur half as good as advertised u will have no problem going pro ASAP. We need u, u are already highly talked about on campus, jus make it happen. It will b a female buffet when u get here, and u will be another lineman at bama.

• I is edumacated
      4:20 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Come to UK, you can write like this guy!

21. milk man
    3:32 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

This kid never rest. He is just sucking up all the attention. Who cares at this point.

22. Ghost rider
    3:36 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I don’t get why “uk fans” is downplaying their own program? If you want to be only be basketball fans that’s fine. Quit railing on the sport that bring in the most money dumba$$es, which is football. Half of you people know nothing about college sports funds and do nothing but bit!ch. uk fans are the worse and Im not even a uk fan. Just so you know it’s been a rebuilding year. And yes, in my opinion Elam would have more success at uk because he would get recruited over at Alabama.

• Ukfan
      3:45 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I am agree with what you said Ghost and I am a UK fan.

We need Elam so stop down playing his importance.

23. Stoops Troops
    3:50 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

We Need this guy! NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT HOW HIS RECRUITMENT PROCESS! We need everyone to get together and make this final push to bring him home to the BBN! Signs at the basketball game on Saturday and chants of WE WANT ELAM……Tweet him (positive tweets) and make him feel at home. Bring the big fella on down. He can be the gamer changer we are all looking for in Commonwealth on Saturdays in the Fall.

24. uk78
    3:55 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

He needs to redshirt at whatever school he chooses a year in the In the weight room wouldnt hurt him

25. Watch TV
    3:58 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

If you have ever watched the introduction of starting lineups in an NFL broadcast, you will quickly realize that the NFL doesn’t care where you played college football. The players are from every level and every school available. If you can run the right speed, have the right height and size, they will find you and draft you. They don’t care. That said, the kid would likely sit for awhile at Bama and play for championships, or play a whole lot and be a local hero here. Neither will affect his NFL career if he makes it.

26. Ghost rider
    4:04 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Another thing if you want other sports to succeed, women’s basketball, volleyball, etc. you don’t rail on your moneymaker to support them. Dont bit the hand that feeds ya. First blog I’ve been to that accually hates their own school

• Ukfan
      4:21 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

If in fact there are who they say there are. We have others that come on here that pretend to be fans.

27. Eric
    4:04 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I hope he chooses the Cats. We will find out in 2 weeks whether this weekend was a legit visit because he was torn between the two, or he is just milking the process to get as much attention and free bball tickets as possible.

Either way, go big blue.

28. Ghost rider
    4:12 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Currently I’m checking each schools major blogs, atendance, etc. and rank their fans. as far as I can see uk gets a around a 30-33 out of 100. First school I’ve seen telling a recruit to go elsewhere

• New York Times
      4:35 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Your approach to comparing fan bases appears flawless. We would love to offer you a position at the New York Times as our lead reporter on all opinions expressed by anonymous commentors on free blog sites. We anxiously await your reply.

• Ukfan
      5:02 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

sorry if I don’t believe you. I have read other sites too and there are just as many delusional fans on their sites as here. Plenty of dumb “fans” out there to go around.

29. Ghost rider
    4:13 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Or major recruit from fans

30. $1.75 Tacos?
    4:17 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

UK has more ex-players in the Super Bowl than Bama.

• WOW
      4:21 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

That MUST mean UK is better than Bama, right?

• Use your brain
      4:50 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Your an idiot. It means if you have the talent it don’t matter where you go. Kentucky people are dumb So dumb its hard to read this sometimes. It called talent. If I have to explain to you thats why they have talent scouts. but I’m sure you don’t even remember when these players played at uk. Why are you not the recruiting coordinator at uk or Alabama.

31. obviously
    4:19 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

the only reason he is on an unofficial is to watch the UK game.. kid is really milking everything he can out of this.

32. roundball fool
    5:36 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

good luck Mr. Elam – either way, we support you!

33. Lewibear0420
    5:53 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

The fact that he got back home from his trip to Alabama without committing to Alabama was HUGE. I was disappointed when he delayed his decision at the AA game, too, because I thought we lost some recruiting momentum. However, I understand that this is a tough decision. Whether he’s a 3 star or a 5 star, he’s 6′ 5″, 370 lbs that has a ton of potential, but will have to work hard to be successful anywhere he goes. You can’t teach size. I hope he makes it to his visit at UK this weekend uncommitted and he reconnects with Barker. Crazy what a little momentum does in any situation. Thank you, Kendall Randolph!!!

34. Dbo
    6:06 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

He can “maybe” start at UK..or certainly sit on the bench at Alabama..

35. Tolly Ho Owner
    6:33 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

Elma’s visit will be good for my business. Every time he visits Lexington my revenue jumps 15%. He usually starts w/ 5 eggs, package of bacon, hash browns w/ gravy, and a large stack of buttermilk pancakes. After a mid morning snack at Qdoba, where he consumes two burritos, Matt returns for lunch. He’ll usually put down a triple stack Ho burger, large cheese fries, 3 Mountain Dews, and a piece of cheesecake, then blow up my bathroom, which is good for business because he signs his “remains” for Ho display. Matt eats 3 Papa John’s pizzas for lunch and his first dinner at two differenent sorority houses. Around 11pm, Matt will return, only 2 hours removed from The Chinese buffet on Nicholasville (damn MSG makes you uh fry again), and order 2 large cheese fries, Irish nachos (special order for Matt), and wash it down with 2-3 glasses of eggnog. How can I not love this guy? Come be my cash register hero!

36. Dr. Phil
    8:02 pm January 21, 2014 Permalink

I guess the answer to the question “what do trolls do on a snowy day?” Is they go on KSR!