Matt Elam will take an official visit to Alabama

@DBarker7

@DBarker7

@DBarker7

After Matt Elam postponed his announcement this past weekend, folks worried that the five-star defensive tackle was giving Alabama a closer look. Now, it appears he’s going to do that in person. The Cats Pause’s Josh Edwards is reporting that Elam will take an official visit to Alabama on January 17.

Drew Barker called into the radio show this morning to give fans an update on the Army All-American game, the 2014 class, and what exactly went down with Matt Elam last weekend. Barker, who has moved into his dorm in Lexington and will begin class soon, said that he was very surprised that Elam postponed his decision until Signing Day, and that he found out the news with everyone else.

Where do the Cats stand with Elam? Barker said that he was very confident heading into the Army All-American game, but now, he says he isn’t sure what Elam will do, admitting “it could go either way.” Right now, Elam’s Crystal Ball predictions sit at 61% UK and 39% Alabama.

We’ll have Barker’s full interview up on the site later today.

64 Comments for Matt Elam will take an official visit to Alabama

1. DeVante Parker
    12:05 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I guess Elam decided he wanted to win some games.

• Lenny
      3:23 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

A few years back me and my wife moved to kentucky. We live near Matt and have taken the kid under our wing… When my wife asked him which school was his favorite he did not hesitate to say Alabama. We are die hard UK fans and would love to see him in blue and white but I think he’ll be heading to bama

2. stevem
    12:09 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Dude is going to Bama…can’t say I blame him

3. We Don't Have a Coach
    12:10 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Can’t wait until he’s a Louisville Cardinal. Oh wait he’s not interested in Louisville.

4. Oh Saban!
    12:20 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Guess what Saban might’ve told him…

5. BigRush
    12:24 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Side note: Lloyd spence is an idiot. Guy can’t figure out why James Franklin is interested in penn state. Maybe he should ask his buddy Harry where Frankljn is from…

6. Nick Saban
    12:25 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

He going to BAMA!

7. Tom Crean
    12:33 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Na he’s going to play for (with) me!

8. BlueRedNeck
    12:37 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Bummer. Doubt if the Cats get him now. That ‘Bama loss might have been what switched him – and Saban putting the hard sell on him.

9. Jughead
    12:37 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

It will take a couple of winning seasons before Stoops can land 5 stars regularly.

No problem–it’s about improving, and that is happening. Moving on.

10. Mike
    12:43 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Lots of people have said that he is trying to make a mature decision and we should respect that. At the same time, the kid is teasing BBN and fellow recruits with Twitter posts and clearly enjoys the attention.

At this point, I think Stoops and Co. realize that the chances of landing Elam are tipping in a different direction. I think we should move on and continue to complete the class under the assumption that Elam is going elsewhere.

Personally, I am tired of this charade and he is not above the program, the rebuilding process, KSR stories, or any single recruit in general. Regardless of whether Elam commits to UK or not, UK Football will be successful. In short, we don’t NEED him; move on.

• Lol!
      12:46 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Yes, Alabama needs him more than we do! Get real now…

• Mike
      12:49 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Did I say Alabama needs him? No single recruit will make/break UK’s future success.

• Delk for 3
      12:53 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I really find it funny how people actually think that a kid owes anything to the fans of a school. Also, what’s wrong with enjoying this process?

• Both ways
      2:11 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

@ Delk
      Where did his post say anything like that? I find it really funny you read that post and came up with that. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the process but there is with constantly hinting that you are going to one school then not doing it. It’s called integrity. Probably something you nor Elam know anything about. And don’t complain when the fans enjoy their side of the “process” by slamming him on twitter or whatever.

• Drew Barker
      2:36 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Joker why are you going by the name Mike now?

11. Over....rated...da da da da da...Over....rated...da da da da da!!!!!
    12:47 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

The dude is a fat and overrated turd. He needs to lose at least 30 lbs and get in better “game shape” before recognizing his 3 or 4 or 5 star potential. Failure to adhere to one cheeseburger as a snack and one Papa John’s pizza for breakfast will make him susceptible to injury. He’s one hit away from a major knee injury that will put him on crutches and make return trips to the Chinese Buffet challenging.

• Delk for 3
      12:49 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

You are a fool and a hateful idiot. You do realize that nose tackles are large human beings?

• Over....rated...da da da da da...Over....rated...da da da da da!!!!!
      12:58 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

The average defensive tackle weighing in at the NFL Combine over the last five years is 304 pounds. Elam is generously listed at 350.

Who is the fool and idiot now?

• TDog
      1:12 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Considering you said AVERAGE that means that there will be defensive tackles above and below that weight.

• Beavis
      1:50 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Over Rated,,,,,do us and yourself a favor,,,move on before you make a bigger fool of yourself

12. Delk for 3
    12:48 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I still believe in Stoops and think, in the end, what got Stoops this close to this kid will end up getting him to sign at UK. I just think Elam is doing what is right for him. Making a decision about UK over Alabama is a huge decision and he has to do his due diligence to make sure that’s what he wants. I really think he has just been advised by people to really think about this decision and take all the time he can have. In the end, the kid loves UK and will come to Lexington.

• Camara with the dunk
      12:59 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Time for a new name…..

• nuzeguy
      2:03 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I can’t stop laughing at Camara with the dunk

• Turner with a steal
      2:37 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Delk for 3 is a blowhard.

• Carruth with an attitude
      2:38 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Delk? Really can’t think of anyone in the last decade?

• Tony Delk Montana
      2:42 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Really Carruth? Delk was one of the greatest cats of all time. I hope his name is still being used 100 years from now.

13. UKfanNKY
    12:49 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Not really happy with how is is teasing the BBN……but I guess he is taking it all in! I still hope he is leaning toward the CATS!! Why go to Bama and sit for a year or two when you can come to KY and play right away oh well to each his own.

14. JDH
    12:51 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I’m pretty sure that he was always going to take his official visit to Alabama even if he committed to UK this past Saturday. This is not news.

• Schtoops
      2:40 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Actually Elam cancelled his official visit to Alabama a while ago, giving UK fans even more hope that he would pick UK last Saturday. Therefore that would make this news.

• JDH
      3:31 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I don’t believe he ever cancelled. I saw a report that said that he was “unlikely to take his official visit to Alabama”. But that is not cancelling. But I suppose I could have missed a report that he cancelled it.

15. old guy
    12:52 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I wish we could go back to the days when we didn’t have a clue what was going on until signing day.

16. TruBigBlu
    12:56 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I hate to say it but once the kid see’s Bama’s facilities i think he will choose them. They’re facilities are ridiculous, on the pro level. Would love to see him in that Blue and White though.

• Atlanta Cat
      1:03 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

He’s already seen Bama’s facilities multiple times. He’s taken several unofficial visits to Tuscaloosa.

17. JDawg
    1:00 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I cant believe that everyone has thought the whole time that he may go to Kentucky. I had a post a couple of weeks ago saying that he is Alabama bound and everyone freaked out. Lets see….Alabama or Kentucky…..c’mon people.

18. JayOne
    1:02 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

My crystal ball now has it UK 10% and Bama 90%. The first thing Saban will tell him to do is stay off of twitter. Nothing good comes from twitter when you are a high profile recruit.

19. bama? nooo
    1:05 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

These idiots keep posting we dont need this guy. YEAH RIGHT! Maybe not this year, but in the years to come this 5 star Matt Elam could decide whether or not we can run the ball against those SEC defenses. He can be the base of our O-line, and once we get the combo of a good o-line and QB, thats when we start winning games. Even if we don’t have a defense, we can still win games, (we will eventually get one, ) and then that sec recored can flip the other way.

That being said, hard to compete against BAMA.

• Delk for 3
      1:08 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

So, now Elam plays offense?

• 5 Dollar Footlong
      1:42 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

You do realize that Elam plays defense don’t you?

• Jughead
      2:06 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Er…dude…get a clue. There is a difference between offense and defense in futbol americano.

• Rick James
      2:35 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Cocaine is a h*ll of a drug

20. 2mites
    1:23 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Anyone else tired of hearing whenever Matt Elam farts. Let it rest and let him go where he wants.

• Jughead
      2:08 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Did he fart? Dang–I missed it!

• Intrigued
      2:34 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

OMG…so many questions!!!!!! What did he eat that prompted the fart? Did it smell? Was it a silent but deadly fart? Was it a rip-roaring, paint peeling blast?

In all seriousness, I agree with @2mites.

21. James K
    1:39 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Every day that goes by I think this kid is gone.

22. Jeff Jones
    2:03 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I bet Elam got an Alabama $$$$ handshake at the Army game and decided he should wait and see how many more handshakes he might be able to get??????

23. RICK
    2:19 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Let him go to Alabama if he wants. Seems like a good kid and the Tide could use a few good kids. Personally i’m getting tired of hearing about him.

24. Who's on first
    2:32 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Who is Matt Elam?

Wish you would have wrote a story about him prior to today,
    Had no clue who the kid is.
    Thanks for the update.

So nice that the UK coaches give Barker special treatment to talk to the media whenever he wants to. Definitely the one to ask since he has never been at a UK practice.

• Jamale whas up
      2:42 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Why the heck is Barker talking to KSR?
      Why don’t the coaches tell him to can it and let them do the recruiting?
      Anybody?
      I’m sure if any of the other QBs talked to KSR they would be getting a behind kicking.
      Weird, weird, weird.

25. Cats, Cats, Cats
    2:32 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Would definitely still love to have him, but I always felt he would probably end up at Bama. Was more hopeful the last few weeks, but still wasn’t really counting on it until he signed.
    Having said that, I hope the coaches have Plan B in motion……..Don’t want to be caught empty-handed if he is indeed Bama bound.

26. kyrobman
    2:47 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

My Crystal Ball says Elam will go to Alabama, we can’t be made about that. Its no different than great talent coming to UK for BBall. I wish him Good Luck in whatever he decides.

27. Evan
    3:10 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Why do we worry about Elam? He is 3* and he is fat. He isnt that good.

28. Lenny
    3:25 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

• Jughead
      3:50 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Glad that you respect confidentiality. Remind me to never tell you anything, blabbermouth.

Nevermind if you are simply a pathetic troll.

• Jughead
      3:51 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Also, WTF with your grammar? “Me and my wife” = toothless trailer park trash.

• The Real Lenny
      3:54 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Matt, is that you? I’ve seen you post about yourself under at least 8 screen names on here. Quit singing your own tune and trying to stay in the spotlight. Signing day will eventually come and all this circus you and KSR has created will end. Shame you have to go through it but you stirred some of this up yourself. Time to make a choice and not look back or you may end up playing for Lindsey Wilson if a choice isn’t made soon.

29. SP
    3:34 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

He’s going to Bama

Leave him alone

30. TODD
    3:43 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

With John Hardins coaches and intern principle pushing the kid to Bama its hard to get him

31. Sink or Swim
    3:52 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know the Elam kid at all, but from what little I’ve observed of him on film (and less so here on KSR), he would be best served heading south to Bama.

There, he will get very healthy doses of both patience and humility as soon as he steps on campus. Conversely, here at UK, he will play almost immediately, before he’s really even ready for “big-boy” football, and without having truly earned the privilege.

I wish him well, wherever he goes.

32. CracksMeUp
    3:58 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Why does he stand like that?

33. TPACAT
    4:14 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

From what all I’ve seen & heard from him, I don’t even like the kid anymore…

34. COACH SABAN
    5:22 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

MATT WILL ENJOY RIDING THE PINE HERE AT ALABAMA FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS… I WILL PROMISE HIM THE WORLD THEN REDSHIRT HIS ASS AND THEN SIT HIM ON THE BENCH BEHIND THE 8 OUTSTANDING DTs WE ALREADY HAVE IN OUR FARM SYSTEM. HE WILL HELP OUT CONSIDERABLY IN 2017.

The recent commitment from Josh Frazier along with O.J. Smith and Johhny Dwight has CERTAINLY filled the Tide’s need for a big man in the middle for this class. None of these dudes will play next year anyway except behind Dakota Ball and the 3 other redshirts from 2013. Then you have superstar A’SHAWN ROBINSON coming 2014 who will kill your chance to make plays after you redshirt… Bama ain’t where you wanna be if you’re trying to make it to the NFL in 3 years. End of story.

You go to KENTUCKY and BECOME A LEGEND

• Rae
      6:26 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Schools recruiting against Kentucky in basketball say the exact same things.

35. Roll tide
    5:49 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Fant Mr. Kentucky Football and he is going to WKU but u worry about this twitter kid who should be in the gym instead of sitting on the couch doing twitter.
    Was lazy on a play with 8 minutes to go in the first quarter. Could not believe he stopped during the play. Alabama coaches were hacked about it!. Hope he signs wit uk!