Matt Elam says he feels more comfortable with UK right now

elam-staff

Matt Elam just finished up his appearance on Kentucky Sports Radio, and there were a few interesting tidbits. While Elam gushed about both Kentucky and Alabama, he spoke about the Cats in a much more personal manner, even dropping the term “we” when speaking about the 2014 class:

“I love Kentucky, I’m from here, I love Coach Stoops, what we have with the commits up there is special, I’ve never seen that before. I’m really close with Drew [Barker] and everybody.”

Elam added that during his official visit to UK a few weeks ago, none of the 2014 commits pressured him or bugged him about committing because “everybody just knows and feels comfortable in knowing that I’m going to come to UK.”

Of course, it’s best not to read too much into an 18-year-old’s choice of words, and he also spoke glowingly of Alabama, mentioning the history, the chance to win a National Championship, and the troubling comment that his mother really likes the Tide. However, he added that he feels more comfortable with the UK program, staff, and recruits right now, and still doesn’t know if he’s going to take an official visit to Alabama before his decision on January 4th.

When asked to describe the difference between Mark Stoops and Nick Saban, Elam said that he likes both coaches, but feels like he could have a “more personal relationship” with Stoops because “he’s down to Earth,” whereas Saban is more business-like. I can’t understand how he could get that impression (ha).

Elam, who has obviously enjoyed all parts of the recruiting process, praised both Kentucky and Alabama fans, calling the Big Blue Nation “phenomenal,” but added that even when he goes to Alabama, the fans there know him too.

We’ll have Elam’s full interview up on the site a little later.

16 Comments for Matt Elam says he feels more comfortable with UK right now

1. KG
    11:06 am December 23, 2013 Permalink

I only hope that the big fellow follows his heart. I’d love to see him as a Wildcat.

2. nerlens4prez
    11:27 am December 23, 2013 Permalink

I wonder why his mom might prefer Alabama? You’d think she’d want him to stay closer to home.

• Danny
      11:37 am December 23, 2013 Permalink

Probably because playing at Bama under Saban is about as close as you can get to assuring a future spot in the NFL, in addition to winning AT LEAST 1-2 national titles during his 3-5 years there. Winning national titles, future spot in the NFL (big pay day $$$), and a decent degree, tough to pass that up.

• Big Pay Days Right
      2:37 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

One of these days Alabama will be the next Canes just wait and see.

3. Chester From KSR Is A Psycho
    11:30 am December 23, 2013 Permalink

People think that turning down UK/Cal is bad, turning down Bama/Saban would be that times about 3, since Saban is a better overall coach and has had more success.

• jhnny
      2:07 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know. As long as you are playing in a good conference, if you are good, your chances of getting in the NFL are probably the same at Kentucky as they are at Bama. In fact, they may even be better, since at Bama there is always the chance you might not get the playing time you would get at a school like Kentucky.

Of course, the same is true for UK/Cal which is why some players don’t come here- they don’t want to have to fight for an opportunity to start.

• jhnny
      2:08 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

I should add- if you are a Defensive tackle- an argument could be made with other position that rely more heavily on other players- like RB or QB,

4. V for vasectomy
    11:32 am December 23, 2013 Permalink

Would be thrilled for us to pick Elam up. I would be astonished with a top 20 recruiting class after the season we had.. Next year I think it is unfortunately another 2-3 win season but after that we should
    Be able to at least compete to be bowl eligible year in and year out..
    Playing in the SEC is for sure not easy

• ^
      2:40 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

Which every Louisville fan should get.

5. Jerry Tipton
    12:06 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

I just want to clear up the rumors about Elam. He thought about committing to ‘Bama but thought his playing time would be greater at UK during his freshman season and doesn’t want to think about transferring. You know how those whispers can become an annoyance. So, just to clear things up…Elam is still undecided and has not ruled out either school and the rumors about Notre Dame re-entering the picture are unclear. I will check with my sources (my inner thoughts) and update BBN later.

• ^^^^^^^^^^^
      12:30 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

You have way too much time on your hands…

6. samk
    12:50 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

how does the Leach Report podcast work, but not KSR’s?

7. Matt's Mother
    1:22 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

Can someone please tell me why he isn’t in the gym…practicing free throws?

8. Crybaby
    1:34 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

He better commit after being such a drama queen.

9. Go to UK
    2:48 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

Makes me laugh about drinking the blue Kool-Aid.

Player School Gms Att cmp Int Yds TD P-GM
    Drew Houliston Highlands 14 339 231 2 4035 50 288
    Drew Barker Conner 12 317 195 5 2702 34 225

• trey
      3:02 pm December 23, 2013 Permalink

You could also say that Higlands is runs a type of system that anybody could put up those numbers. Much like Texas Tech. Thats why you didn’t see Graham Harrell or whatever other QB they had that threw for 4,000+ yards in the Heisman race.