Matt Elam Felt the Love in Lexington

matt-elam-stoops-500x375

All 355-pounds of Matt Elam went all over the state yesterday from Elizabethtown to Lexington and back again; Elam took in most of the Kentucky-Louisville game in Lexington, then returned home to E-Town for John Hardin’s 6 pm out-of-conference matchup against Highlands.

Despite John Hardin’s 33-26 loss to Highlands, Elam was pleased with his team’s effort yesterday.

“Coach (Chad) Lewis kept asking us all week if we had the heart, and we took that to heart and came out and gave Highlands a tough game,” Elam said. “Everybody thought they’d skunk us, but that’s not the type of program John Hardin has.”

elam tweet

Earlier in the day, Elam got the chance to meet with Mark Stoops before the Governor’s Cup battle in Commonwealth.

“He felt real good about how they were going to play, and that made me think different of him. He [Stoops] knows he has hard work ahead of him, but he’s willing to take on the challenge. I like that.”

Although he didn’t speak to Charlie Strong prior to or during the game, Elam said he didn’t mind; “I went over to their sidelines, but they were all business. I love their coaching staff and I didn’t want to bother them.”

I hadn’t heard the term “skunk” until today, but it’s going to be a regular part of my vocab moving forward; I hope Florida doesn’t skunk us on the 28th.

Article written by Brennan English

Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. @BrennanKSR

30 Comments for Matt Elam Felt the Love in Lexington

1. RealTalkk
    11:40 am September 15, 2013 Permalink

I like our chances with him!! Can’t wait to hopefully see him in the blue!

2. Georgia Blue
    11:45 am September 15, 2013 Permalink

We need to find some more players on the DLINE and OLINE like THE ENERGY THAT ZADARIUS SMITH plays with. This guy go hard every play.

3. Seriously?
    12:22 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Never heard the term “skunk”? Are you serious? Were you born and raised in Siberia?

4. bosshogg24
    12:23 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Where are you from to have never heard the word “Skunk”?

5. Really?
    12:27 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

How old are you? This kid’s maybe 18 and he know’s what a “skunk” is

6. classof68
    12:27 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, pretty weird never having heard the term skunk. At least he’s honest. How about whitewash or shutout. Ever heard of them?

7. leedee
    12:34 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

I have heard the term “skunk” most of my life and I’ll soon be 73. As classof68 suggested, it means whitewash, shutout, give up no scores and don’t allow any points to be scored against you while you run up a big score against your opponents.

8. More Like Can of Raid
    12:48 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Sounds good. You can go from a 2 and 10 embarrassment to 4 and 8.

9. Brennan English
    1:29 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Everyone is very worked up that I’ve never heard skunk used in sports slang, but with the help of context clues, it was far from difficult to glean its meaning… I’m 22 and from central Kentucky, but did spend the 90s in Russia, infiltrating the remnants of the KGB after the fall of the Soviet Union. I was quite advanced for an infant.

Skunk in Russian–скунс.

10. kadizkat
    1:50 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

“More like Can of Raid”, if we had UL schedule, I’d say we’d be a lot better than 4-8. One national sports writer pointed out, there are about 26 teams in the US that would go undefeated with UL’s schedule. Two were noteable heavyweights, UNC and Northwestern.

11. Hollahollaholla
    1:56 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

From the looks of yesterday, Drew Barker will be playing vs. UofL next year.

12. Ulfan
    2:00 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

We here at loserville know the only way to say and have a good year is to schedule pi ss poor teams then yell we lost no games
    Kinda like duke not playing any real non conference teams at home if duke played uks bball non conf s heddle they’d be exposed year in and yr out

13. dylan
    2:26 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

He’s just never been skunked before in a game of 32 or playing against a 4A highschool when you’re a 1A to know the skunk you must first be skunked

14. John wall
    2:43 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

You must not know ping pong. Or as the Chinese call it, ping pong

15. LouisvilleFan
    2:47 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Hahahah I bet you wish you could play a middle school schedule like us so you could get a overly bloated record & ranking too!

16. FeedMeSeymour
    4:01 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Never heard “skunk” used that way before?… I can’t believe it. Do you live under a rock or something?

17. Senorise Perry pleasures Charlie Strong
    4:22 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

I believe Elam has already silent verballed to Stoops and is waiting till the UA bowl to do UK and Stoops a favor for the extra pub. Can’t wait to see this kid in UK blue next year.

18. Brennan English
    4:27 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

FeedMeSeymour, I already answered above at #9.

19. classof68
    4:36 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

It’s OK Brennan. I had to look up the meaning of twerk a few days ago. I’m sure you knew what twerk meant and I’m 3X your age.

20. The Juggernaut
    4:38 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Was this just straight up lifted from Mike Fields? It is almost exactly the same as the piece he posted last night.

21. Brennan English
    5:05 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

I linked Mike Fields in the post. First sentence. The piece was predominantly quotes straight from Elam.

22. The Juggernaut
    5:19 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Fair enough. It doesn’t bother me, but I looked through the post three times for the link and only found it when you told me where it was. The very fact that the question could be asked is just more fodder for the grumpy old dudes in the mainstream media.

23. bob
    6:38 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

#15…ha ha …i bet you wish you weren’t 3rd best team in state…

24. Cool Daddy
    6:41 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

You are clown Brennan

25. Fat Albert
    7:25 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

This guy is a lard bucket.

26. Ho Lee Fuk
    8:23 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Do they even have skunks in Russia?

27. big hoss
    9:17 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

I have seen this kid play and I’m not completely sold on him. Yes he is really big and can move extremely well for his size. But he likes to stand start up on a lot of plays and take plays off. Those things are easily fix able but until I see some improvement I’m not going to say this kid is our saving grace on the DLINE.

28. kat
    10:30 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Bob , you’re the reason I dislike the Cards , NOT the team but the PUNKA** fans that need a big can o’ AZZ WOOPIN put on em …………… jus sayin ?

29. kat
    10:31 pm September 15, 2013 Permalink

Cmon down Matt , there are a whole lotta changes comin next year !

30. gataslindas.webs.com
    7:23 pm September 16, 2013 Permalink

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I
    have found something that helped me. Kudos!