Marques Bolden will remain in the NBA Draft

Getty Images

While the Big Blue Nation patiently waits for NBA Draft news on a pair of centers, one former UK target has decided to forego his college eligibility.

Yahoo’s Chris Haynes reports Duke center Marques Bolden will skip his senior season by keeping his name in the 2019 NBA Draft pool.

The top-ranked center in the 2016 recruiting class, the final months of Bolden’s recruitment were filled with drama. Torn between Kentucky and Duke, he pushed back his decision date multiple times before the Blue Devils eventually won the war. Since then, Bolden has not done much.

In three years, Bolden never played more than 20 minutes per game. He finished his career with 24 starts and averaged 3.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game.

Bolden is not one of ESPN’s Top 100 NBA Draft prospects, but despite his lack of production, going pro may have been his only choice. If Javin DeLaurier returns, the addition of Vernon Carey would ultimately take all of Bolden’s minutes in the post. “The Brotherhood” is working well for some Blue Devils, just not Marques Bolden.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Marques Bolden will remain in the NBA Draft

1. UK Maine-iac
    9:41 pm May 27, 2019 Permalink

Wonder where Mashburnfan is, remarking on how Coack K didn’t develop this kid into a star? It doesn’t fit his agenda, you say? Shocking.

• 4everUKblue
      10:31 pm May 27, 2019 Permalink

He’s a dUKe apologist so no it does not fit his agenda. Wasn’t Bolden a 5 star? Never really any meaningful minutes, come to think of it he probably only played the equivalent of one half in three seasons. Sure dodged a bullet when K won that recruiting battle.

2. AFR0_SAMURAii
    9:55 pm May 27, 2019 Permalink

Why are you guys/girls reporting this? It seems I read more about Duke players or recruits that have made it clear they’re not coming to Kentucky… I used to love this site but now it becomes unbearable when you do this on top of reposts, top 10 tweets no one cares about, politics, merchandise, pop ups that litter the article, and posts ripped from other sports writers with minor rewording. What happened to you guys? :/ This is KENTUCKY SPORTS RADIO well was…..

3. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    10:06 pm May 27, 2019 Permalink

SKJ was in that same class, not like he turned into much of anything. Personally I think SKJ was shafted because Cal kept playing the potential card with Richards and kept starting him.

4. Han
    10:15 pm May 27, 2019 Permalink

Given how little development we’ve seen from our bigs lately, let’s maybe not make fun of Bolden’s decision too much, eh?

Lots of people talking about how Richards and Montgomery would be selfish fools not to come back, yet this site continually points out how Bolden has been a letdown.

Lee, Skal, Humphries, SKJ, Richards, EJ — we haven’t exactly been pumping out star big men lately.

• mashburnfan1
      2:08 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Bingo, thank you Han. I think the problem is whoever is rating these guys based on all the flops. Bolden #1 C as was Richards. Both did next to nothing. Skal was just a hype recruit, no way Cal could have seen him play in person and think he was all that people claimed he was. To those posters above, I have never said K develops anyone in fact I have always said NO coach develops these guys for the NBA in the 8 months they have these one and dones. 4ever and other jerks are the ones who always claim Cal develops players to the NBA and I, like Han, just show so many examples of flops we have had. Called facts and again 4ever I ask you to show me one comment I made that is false, just one. Been asking you for weeks yet you produce nothing.

• 4everUKblue
      8:10 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

mashbumfan there aren’t enough hours in the day to show all your false statements and youre a liar, you’ve never asked me once until now. I don’t save them but for starters, I’ve never said Cal develops players for the NBA but that he makes them better by teaching them to play together and how to be better young men off the court. So there’s your first example you’ve lied about. Also you do make excuses for K and dUKe, you defend them every chance you get, so there is lie number two, but thanks for playing.

• 4everUKblue
      8:12 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

And one more thing, your the best at picking and choosing what fits your agenda, even if it in no way relates to the comment you’re responding to.

• StillBP
      9:20 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Mashtipturd assigns all the blame to Cal when a player doesn’t live up to the hype and none of the credit when a player does. Lol

5. Smyrna_Cat
    10:40 pm May 27, 2019 Permalink

Given how successful Duke big men are in the NBA, this is a brilliant move!

6. RealCatsFan
    7:47 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m not jumping into the Duke vs UK fray, nor am I addressing player development. No, I simply wonder how this will affect EJ’s decision. On the plus side, it is potential competition for a spot on a team, which might push him to return for another year. On the con side, it does not support the example PJ set for returning another year to better your draft prospects. One could argue that Bolden should have left after his freshman season. I really hope EJ comes back, but I don’t feel real confident about it right now. I keep having images of him sitting on the bench during that Auburn game, and I wonder if that affects his thinking. As much as I love Cal, his stubbornness at times is one of the things that I wish would change. I don’t know if having EJ in there would have helped from a defensive perspective, but I feel like you have to at least try it and give him a chance.