Mark Stoops on today’s KSR (Monday Show Thread)

We have a special treat for KSR radio listeners as Mark Stoops is scheduled to join the show to discuss Saturday’s win.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

97 Comments for Mark Stoops on today’s KSR (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

What about that Defense? And, the o-line took care of business. It’s nice to win the war in the trenches….because that’s where the games are won.

• ukjaybrat
      10:06 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

i was down the street at a neighbor’s house on the first play. walked back to get some beverages. by the time i got home we had already thrown the pick. by the time i got my beverages and was about to return. we had fumbled the ball. i decided to stay in the rest of the game. because i felt that was “so uk football”.

How glad I was they turned it around after those plays could not be measured. that was a fantastic game after the slow start.

10:14 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Defense was what a Stoops defense should look like. That was awesome. After those first few plays, I asked my husband if I should even watch the game, and he said, yes, they’ll end up winning, this is what they do. Good thing I stuck with it, I just sometimes forget this isn’t the Ky Football we used to watch.

Johnson was awesome. He sets the tone for the whole team, was in South Carolina’s head the whole time. And his response to that drop: “I’ll be on the ball machine with the receivers.” He’s the leader we needed.

10:15 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

How ’bout them Cats?!?!?!!!!

• I think SJ is becoming my favorite Wildcat, maybe of all time, with his play combined with the guy he is. I only last night finally watched the SEC Nation video on what he’s doing for the kid in Louisville that has turrets (sp?).

• Yes, and the comment about the ball machine was great self-deprecating humor.

10:30 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I love SJ. He’s just an all around good dude, and boy is he a gamer.

2. Another view of Josh Allen’s cheap shot on Jake Bentley:

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Hey Chris, you’re one of the few, the proud…you were able to comment on Jonathan Miller’s article. But, did you know after you said, “at least the comments are open”, they were shut down…ha ha.
      When he says, “let everyone have their say”, and then shuts it down….well, there’s a word for that…starts with an H.

10:14 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I thought you would show this angle of it.

• Check this out…after Bentley is tackled on the play the guys are discussing, Courtney Love makes fun of the flop. Thanks to a commenter last night who caught it:

• Thumbs up to J-Dub & RG!

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

And they called Ali’s KO against Sonny Liston a “phantom punch”.

10:21 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Lol, I had not seen that from Love in the game. Hilarious!

• Here’s a better quality version of the Gif I posted. For those who don’t know, Kevin Nash flopped to lose the WCW World Title on purpose to Hulk Hogan, and I immediately thought of it when Bentley flopped.

BTW, what if the ref had flagged Bentley for unsportsmanlike conduct? Then the crowd would have REALLY melted down. For those who didn’t watch, the announcers said they were throwing bottles onto the field.

10:29 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

If the crowd was throwing things onto the field, they should have at least gotten a warning. Then a penalty if it continued.

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

what if the ref didnt see it and they flagged Josh? That would have been another “So Kentucky Football” thing to happen to us on the road. a la the game clock at Florida 3 years ago.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Must have taken lessons from Tom Crean or The Vampire (Coach K).

10:34 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I’d have lost my mind if they had flagged Josh Allen for that.

10:35 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

New commercial idea for North and South Carolina: “Flop into the Carolinas.”

• Perish that thought ukjaybrat. Eek!

• ukjaybrat
      10:37 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

a flop in basketball is a 2-4 point swing. a flop in football could be a 14 point swing. that’s a game changer and if this is going to be a “thing” going forward, there needs to be a provision in place to review personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. because you can’t argue or challenge those calls and if a player successfully gets a dumb ref to throw a flag on something like that, it could change a game. and that’s disgusting to me.

10:43 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

If we have review, everything should be reviewable. I am still pissed about that shot clock violation against Wisconsin in the Final Four, that would have been reviewable if it had happened 30 seconds later. Having some things be arbitrarily not reviewable is stupid.

10:51 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Shudder, that definitely would not have gone our way several years ago. But now we own that team, so got the benefit of the doubt. Can a coach officially challenge a call like that? That’s what I’d like to see.

3. secrick
    10:06 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I want to say i did not think we would win at S.C. and after that first play i was sure of it. The players did a great job and i am really proud of them. Sorry guys for doubting and it was a big win for us. I do believe we will beat Fla. this Sat.

10:16 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

This year’s team starts slow. We have every game so far. So, when we started poorly against South Carolina, I didn’t panic. We finish really well though!

• secrick
      10:23 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I give you credit, you said just wait and see. Good call .

4. ukjaybrat
    10:09 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

On another note.
    I can verify that Mrs. ukjaybrat did not nap during this game. so we are doing pretty well when she is wide awake and actively watching the games. just sayin

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Ha Ha, team no sleep.

• Mathlete
      10:15 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Do us a favor and get a case of those Starbucks espresso shots for the Florida game. Then maybe have her stand and/or pace the room for the whole game.

There’s clearly something to this mojo and we need all the good mojo we can get against Florida.

• Booby Petrino
      10:15 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Make sure she’s ready to stay up for the entire game Sat. Maybe she should take an afternoon nap.

10:16 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I agree with Mathlete. Will chip in if necessary, lol.

• ukjaybrat
      10:24 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

unfortunately, we will be on opposite sides of the state this weekend. I will be at the game and she will be visiting family. So I will need to pay someone to stand by her and shake her if she starts to fall asleep

10:28 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Uh oh.

5. Sentient Third Eye
    10:16 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

About five minutes in, after we had given up the TD and just turned it over the second time, I realized that short of shooting ourselves in the food, there was no way South Carolina could play with us. They were a much less-polished team in all three phases of the game. Once we stopped our self-destruct, that was all she wrote!

6. runningunnin.454
    10:16 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Still think we’re too conservative in the 4th quarter with the lead. They know we’re not going to pass, and they load the box. How about some sweeps, rpo, and screens?
    Seems in the 4th quarter, Conrad is sitting at the end of the bench, and we forget about him.

10:21 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, the coaches go into “don’t lose” mode instead of attacking the other team.

10:22 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Why waste like 3 minutes at the end of the first half?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:34 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Agree and “like”. Missing the button on the mobile site.

I listened to the game live but watched it on dvr with the wife Sunday AM.
      My wife was watching and exclaimed “wow! We don’t look like UK football! “

7. Mathlete
    10:18 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

This weekend couldn’t have gone better for UK fans – UK wins, Louisville gets destroyed and humiliated, and Florida beats UT on a Hail Mary. The first two are great in the here-and-now, and Florida winning that way means they’ll be partying until at least Tuesday , and emotionally (possibly physically) hung over for our game this weekend

10:22 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

And UK Volleyball swept Louisville 3-0. Go Cats!

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Did you see UT-UF game; I’ve never seen two teams so intent on shooting themselves in the foot, and giving the game away.
      They are both ripe for the picking.

10:27 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Florida’s defense looks pretty legit, but their offense is not good. I really want to beat them, and it would put us firmly in the driver’s seat in the SEC East.

• Mathlete
      10:29 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I watched it, it reminded me of the Bama/LSU game from a few years ago where they were #1 and #2 and played to a 9-6 final. The only difference was that Bama and LSU were good at football

10:31 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

What about LSU? What the heck happened there?

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Michigan’s Offense is not that good this year and they put up 26 on florida in a neutral site game. i have confidence we can put up at least that much. as long as our defense can hold off a pedestrian florida offense, i think we have a pretty good chance at home.

• Mathlete
      10:36 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t see that game, but MS State might be legit. We’ll find out about that when they visit Georgia this weekend. It’s also possible that LSU was overrated coming into the game, they haven’t played anyone yet this year and basically won’t again until October

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, looks like that coaching change has really done LSU wonders. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

J-dub, I was at the UK Volleyball match. You don’t realize how hard those girls hit the ball until you are right there courtside. Great athletes, fun to watch.

8. Realme
    10:19 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

If we could just play our best on Saturday, we can win and the game goes down in history. If they keep working and pay attention to those fundamentals, like Stoops preaches, every play, this can happen.

• secrick
      10:27 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

It would be great, would love to go to that game.

10:30 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I’m definitely going to be way less confident by the end of the week, but that’s probably best for the mojo anyways.

9. J-Dub421
    10:26 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I will give props to Matt Elam, he played well on Saturday. There was one play where Elam took on two blockers by himself, shoved both back about two steps, then swatted down Bentley’s pass all on the same play. Well done Matt Elam.

• secrick
      10:28 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Yep that was a big play, also our field goal kicker ,right down the middle every time. I think he has missed once this year.

10:32 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Automatic Austin is great. South Carolina’s terrible kicker made me appreciate him even more.

• Mac-O-Matic!

10. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Over on the Card site, they were really crying in their beer….ready to fire Petrino already.
    One hot take comment from a UL fan, “I’m starting to worry about UK”.

10:37 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

That’s beautiful.

10:40 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! *evil laughter*

• ukjaybrat
      10:40 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

starting to worry? we beat them at their pizza stadium last year. then got better at almost every position (arguably). they should have been worrying for a while now.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

That has to be fun. I might have to wander over there myself.

When will the “Jeff Brohm to Louisville” rumors begin? πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Oh, the Brohm thing has already begun.

10:44 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Already started.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

runningunnin, everything about that comment just warms my heart!

11. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I am as excited as anyone about beating USC and our 3-0 start, but let’s pump the brakes a little bit, Matt. I don’t want to get too excited leading up to the Florida game. Have had my hopes dashed too many times before – I have a sense of deja vu all over again (HT top to Yogi). Now if we can snap that unholy streak, I will REALLY start to get excited.

Who else really, really, REALLY wishes Muschamp was still at Florida? πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Yep, pump the brakes…have to stay healthy; and, we need to involve Conrad more, and get Benny some rest (help)….way too many carries/game.

10:44 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Just give us a couple days to bask. We’ll all be more reasonable by Friday.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

No brake pumping here, I’m hitting the gas. We have had the talent (maybe not always the depth) to beat Florida several times during that god-awful losing streak, but we always have found a way to shoot ourselves in the foot. This team has me convinced that Florida will have to do all the work to win this time, which makes this a tossup game at worst. Avoid the terrible start and I’m as confident as a UK football fan can be. Plus, the crowd is going to be large and foaming at the mouth.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Kind of wish Steven had run the ball in when he had that 54 yard run. He could have made it! Although I completely understand why he chose to slide.

10:41 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

That was a smart, burn more clock decision.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

You are correct. But at the same time, how excited would we have been to see him tack on 6 more? Can’t fault him at all – extremely cerebral player. As awesome a player as Lamar Jackson is, he is more “pure athlete” than heady player. I think Johnson makes better decisions on the field. Just not as gifted as Jackson.

11:12 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

There were two defenders bearing down on him. I’d rather Johnson get out of bounds and not get hit. We can’t afford to lose him to injury.

13. Realme
    10:41 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Is Stoops turning into a cyborg for everybody?

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

What, like Saban?

10:49 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

His voice got all mechanical for a minute there.

• Mathlete
      11:06 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

UK secretly built Stoops a life model decoy (basically cyborg copy for those who aren’t Marvel Comics fans) to help him with all of his media responsibilities. The less time he spends talking to the press, the more time he has to game plan.

They tried to build one for Cal, but it couldn’t keep up with the Cal-isms.

• RealCatsFan
      11:14 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Mathlete, where can I get one made for myself? It would be great to send in to talk to the parents of the kids I coach for the middle school volleyball team. πŸ™‚

14. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Mark Stoops sounds like he’s calling from the moon.

15. kingave66
    10:45 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Just wondering why Jonathan Miller was allowed to post an article which spit in the face of the majority of Kentucky’s fanbase, claim that ‘everyone should have their say” and then disable comments after the first dozen or so were all reacting negatively to his drivel????

10:49 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Can’t remember the last time I even read one of his headlines, let alone the article, but I agree with you and RG above. If you’re going to post opinion pieces, let readers weigh in with their own.

• I’ve said it 1000 times: write about politics (or whatever) if you want, but closing the comments is gutless.

• ukjaybrat
      10:56 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

i think their closing of the comments has little to do with us talking to THEM but more so us arguing with each other. i’ve rarely seen an issue where anyone at KSR gives a damn abotu being blasted in the comments section. but i have seen our fans (and some trolls here and there) absolutely going to war at each other in the comments section. maybe they are just preventing that sort of nonsense. just a thought.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:57 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

That was a weird one. He basically said, “I agree with you on free speech, but you’re still losers”, and absolutely no mention of how his precious progressives are champions of the anti-free speech movement, up to an including using black-clad stormtroopers to beat up anyone they disagree with!

10:58 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

They read comments more than you think. It’s not unusual for Tyler and Drew to post mean ones on Twitter, and Rousch gets pretty sensitive sometimes.

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:36 pm September 18, 2017 Permalink

Besides…anyone who is anti-boob is also anti-American!

16. secrick
    10:46 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Even if we don’t beat Fla , the next 2 games after that should be wins and i think 8 wins are very possible. If we beat Fla., WOW.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I want to hear the injury report; they blindsided me last week. I thought Benny would be less than 100%; but, that is one tough guy. And, hats off to Eli Brown, really stepped up.
      I think the Gators are going down.

11:58 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Eli Brown stepped up in a big way.

11:59 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

He’s gonna have to do so again!

17. Realme
    10:52 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Stoops, and Chester on Mingione Monday? I might get too motivated.

18. GO CHESTER GO!!!

19. J-Dub421
    11:20 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

I just want to win!!! I don’t care if it’s pretty or not. They don’t award extra points for style. Just win.

• secrick
      11:26 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Heck yeah ,one point is good with me.

20. Realme
    11:22 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Shakers? Is that because it’s not manly to say pom poms?

• RealCatsFan
      11:52 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

When I hear “shakers” I usually think of something OTHER than pom poms. πŸ˜€

11:55 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

Shake your money maker? πŸ˜‰

21. Realme
    11:24 am September 18, 2017 Permalink

LOL, Matt is SO not making a table out of anything.