Mark Stoops en route to North Carolina to talk to Lincoln Riley

Good news for you Air Raid fans: sources tell KSR that Mark Stoops is on his way to North Carolina to talk to ECU offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley. We continue to hear that Riley is the frontrunner for the position, and Stoops will get a face-to-face meeting with him this weekend. Maybe they’ll even have some Bojangles together.

Hopefully he’s taking a plane, not a helicopter. That would take a while.

10 Comments for Mark Stoops en route to North Carolina to talk to Lincoln Riley

1. Elk
    4:54 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Sigh… Has an Air Raid team ever been successful in the SEC? I was hoping that we could go more Spread or Pro, but I don’t get paid millions of dollars to make such decision. I hope Coach knows what he’s doing.

2. American Errorist
    5:14 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Wow! These football comment sections are poppin’
    calm down guys

3. Time Expired
    5:24 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

The best OC out there and available please bring him back with you Mark PLEASEEEEEEE!

4. 25OR624
    5:28 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Bad news for the non-Lincoln Riley fans. Hopefully, we’ll all be fans livin’ the life of Riley.

5. ReverendBlue
    5:43 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Hal Mumme didn’t do bad with the Air Raid when he was here. Unfortunately, we just didn’t play much defense when he was here.

6. Bullitt County UK fan
    5:51 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Was hoping for a pro style offense. After Neal Brown, I am fully against this air raid style, and we have to get something different. Now hearing that Coley is out of the race, I am disappointed, but they can still win me over with Tim Beck of Nebraska. We have 4 good running backs, so why not? Not to mention a pretty important guy named Damien Harris, who is looking like a bama lean, so this would definitely help. I just think we need a new style of offense, because this does not work with Towels and his surrounding receivers and backs.

7. BlueArcher
    6:32 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Ugh the number of people hating on Air Raid based on the last two years hurts my head. Folks we weren’t running the Air Raid. Even Neal Brown said in his last interviews they were running the offense that gave them the best chance to win. With all of Towles rushes included, we ran the ball 52% of the time.

Please wait until we actually have the quality AND quantity of athletes required to run the Air Raid before complaining. If you see 60% passing and still don’t like it, then we can talk.

8. Piedma Schwartz
    9:58 pm December 5, 2014 Permalink

Stoops! My niqqa!!!

9. ReverendBlue
    9:49 am December 6, 2014 Permalink

Much like Coach Cal adapts his offensive philosophy (“tweaks”) from year to year based upon the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel, I think Neal Brown adapted his offensive system to the strengths and weaknesses of this year’s team. We had a stable of good running backs, a big QB who would run pretty well, but struggled a bit with passing accuracy. So we ran the ball a bit more and passed a bit less. We were not a true air raid team the past couple of years and I think Neal would agree. Our offensive line was not dominating in the sense that we could line up and blow people off the line of scrimmage like an Alabama or a Georgia can. I think we would have really struggled this year in a pro-style offense that would bring more defenders into the box, requiring us to block even more.

10. DC Cat
    8:02 pm December 6, 2014 Permalink

Really some uneducated “fans” out there. As is being pointed out, air raid has actually not been on display the last two years. The cupboard was just too bare when the staff arrived. Also, Riley mixes it up quite a lot with short throws, runs and down field throws. Could be very exciting football as the recruiting picks up.

I know Beck should not be defined by his days at NE given his tenure at kU and his attack there, but I wuld be pretty nervous if he emerged as the lead candidate. With or without Harris, UK will not improve with a running heavy attack (meaning more than they did this year).