Malik Newman picks Mississippi State

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 12.13.31 PM

Malik Newman just committed to Mississippi State over Kentucky and Kansas. Newman said he wants to “write his own story” and “I think it will be a good story by the end of the day.” Okay.

Newman said he thinks Mississippi State can win a championship based on what they did last year. I want to know what Mississippi State team Newman watched last year. He also said he was excited to be on a team with Chicken. There is nothing more Mississippi State than that. (Yes, I know Craig Sword’s nickname is Chicken.)

Seriously, good luck to the kid, who is now the only cool thing in Starkville.

27 Comments for Malik Newman picks Mississippi State

1. UKFaninNY
    1:25 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I don’t understand why you have to make fun of his choice –

Before you say that that’s what this website is about, let’s say he picked UK – Would you make fun of UK?

Ummmm

• Laker Cat 18
      1:27 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

He opened that door to be made fun of when he said he waited out his decision to see who all was leaving for the pros. Obviously Mississippi State had a mass exodus that opened up that door for him. Best of luck to him.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      1:28 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

No, because I work for a UK website.

• Bluebros
      1:28 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Ummmm, because its KSR… and thats what this website is all about. I thought it was funny and true! Newman is now the coolest thing in Starkville.

• UKFaninNY
      1:29 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Laker Cat –

At least your comment was funny (Miss State’s mass exodus) – If you are gonna make fun of a kid or school, make it funny I guess is more important)

• UKFaninNY
      1:40 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Tyler –

Okay, but like I said, at least be funny

Those attempts at humor are (severely) lacking

• BigBlueBoom
      1:46 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

UKFan just bc you didn’t think her comments were funny doesn’t mean the rest of us didn’t. Who made you the comedy judge? You’re just mad bc your comment was dumb to begin with.

• UKFaninNY
      2:06 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Riiiiiight – that’s it

• Laker Cat 18
      2:23 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Maybe I should write for KSR. Tyler, have your people contact my people and we’ll set it up.

• Ken Grizzle
      3:04 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Make fun of his choice!!?? Before you risign your delivery job at Pizza Hut to start your illustrious career in journalism maybe you should take time to distinguish between making fun of his “choice” or making light of his “reasons”. I can’t find fault with his following in his father’s footsteps but if he thinks he’ll win a NCAA title ot Starkville he’s dreaming. Not poking fun just stating facts.

2. Bluebros
    1:26 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

SEC stepping up!! LSU & Miss St getting some good players. Good to see it happen for the league as Kentucky is going to be just fine without Newman.

3. Ave
    1:31 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

He’ll be good but none of his team will. I think his decision was maybe more based on that he wanted to be “the guy” which Cal doesn’t want. He wouldn’t be that at LSU or Kansas with all their talent either

• Leuther
      8:24 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Agree. After seeing him play several games with Team USA, it’s clear that he would have had a diminished role here at UK…

4. BlueDeuce
    1:33 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Good luck to the young man…he’ll be the show in Starkville!

• memphis
      1:42 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Won’t be hard. Last year’s show in Starkville is “Everybody Loves Raymond” reruns.

5. bigabes4uk
    1:42 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Glad he’s there tbh…and I’m really surprised we went after a kid like this. It’s obvious he want to be the man and get 30 shots a game- which he will. Cal and co. had to know he was that kind of player.

• memphis
      1:45 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure they did. But you have to go after talent and see how it plays out.

6. Bobbum Man
    1:49 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Good for him and wish him nothing but the best and frankly I think it’s the best for us as well. Can’t recall many recent recruits coming off as selfish as he does, don’t think he would have fit well here anyhow, prolly works out best for everyone, he can take 428 shots a game and we can still play team ball

7. KevinM
    1:51 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

It will make for an interesting visit to Rupp this year.

I don’t think they’re close to competing, but who knows at this point? We definitely know MSU will use him as a volume shooter.

8. meeksfor3
    1:52 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Is he being serious about going to the final four? He does know that Marcus Bullard, Darryl Wilson, Dantae Jones and Erik Dampier are not walking through that door doesn’t he?

9. BlueRage02
    1:55 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

(4) Final Fours/(6) Years – “I like my team.” “We’ll be fine.” “Relax.”

…pick any of these Cal phrases. Best of luck to the kid, and hopefully it makes the league better. Go Cayts!!!

10. david8577
    2:04 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Picking MSU makes me even more confident this is a kid who wanted no part of sharing minutes or shots with other players, or indoor plumbing. Good luck to the kid though.

11. rdhack
    2:21 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

He’ll discover he would have had more success playing with Ulis than against him…..gonna be fun.

12. ChanceyPantz
    2:53 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

This kid has talent, but the hubris he has displayed would not have been taken well at a place like Kentucky.

13. Time Expired
    5:21 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I love the pic of him there. It is like he is proclaiming ” I am now King of Starkville”. Yea he will score in the 20s bout every game but on a team going nowhere.

• Time Expired
      5:22 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Also to add to this I hope he enjoys playing in a gym that is 2/3 empty for every game until UK comes to town.

14. Dennis Smith
    5:51 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I see another Carruth here. It’s a win win situation. Newman wins, not Miss State