Making sense of last night’s loss (Wednesday Show Thread)

As you well know, Kentucky played a pretty terrible basketball game down in Knoxville last night, resulting in a loss to a mediocre Tennessee team. On today’s KSR radio show, Matt and Ryan will dissect what went wrong in that game and what it means for the Wildcats moving forward.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

114 Comments for Making sense of last night’s loss (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Many of us said it yesterday; UT is a young team with good talent, and just haven’t been able to finish…well, they were at home, with incentive to beat a top 5 team, and they made 3 crucial shots to win the game.
    I look at the comments last night, and the majority of comments are bashing a HOF coach with 4 final fours in 6 years.
    I’ll retire to Bedlam (19th century London insane asylum).

10:07 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep, I called this one as a trap game, and I was very worried about it weeks ago.
      UT also did not have the distraction of a top-5 opponent coming to their place on Saturday. UT has been knocking on the door for a win against a ranked opponent all year. It just sucks that they finally did it against us. Seems like most SEC teams do that – they blow opportunities to make a statement against out-of-conference opponents in the early part of the season, but play like the Warriors against us. I hate the SEC! Can we leave and join the ACC? Maybe trade spots with Clemson or Florida St?

2. RealCatsFan
    10:04 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

KSR should be glad when we lose – sure brings out visitors to the comments sections. 😉

• symphonist41169
      10:33 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Do you really think Matt reads the comments section anymore? He only reads Twitter comments, when he’s not whining about the SEC protecting their multi-million dollar investment & not allow COPYRIGHTED video to be used by a for-profit organization.

• Realme
      10:35 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

It’s not about them reading comments, it’s about clicks generating revenue.

10:38 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

i’m sorry, i didn’t know my personal twitter was a for-profit organization? because matt has said several times that if it was just him they were going after, he would be mad, but whatever. but they are going after the fans next.

but hey. facts are not your friend

• symphonist41169
      10:45 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

And tact isn’t yours.

10:49 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

The NBA has a multi-million dollar product as well. They still allow short clips of their players because it’s free marketing.

10:58 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

tact is irrelevant when i’m responding to a comment that is factually-challenged. i simply wanted to help you out since you either didn’t know the facts or were purposefully ignoring them.

• symphonist41169
      11:09 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I was brought up to believe tact is ALWAYS relevant. Thanks, I’m so grateful for your “help” in straightening me out with the facts, lol….

11:15 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

typical troll…. disappear from ksr for months, comes back the day after a loss, blasts matt jones for something he never said, then blast me for introducing facts and then pretend to take the high road … you’re so transparent.

11:29 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Let me know when someone says this to you….

Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert January 20, 2017 at 12:38 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Always thought J-dub was a stupid [email protected]

• THE William Hill
      11:30 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

They make it easy, don’t they jaybrat? 😉

• symphonist41169
      12:14 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Disappear for “months”?? Wrong again, Alice.

3. Realme
    10:04 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Will this team mature enough to play together when things get hard, or should I just start accepting facts now?

10:10 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m beginning to think that they just are not going to be a serious title contender. However, to be fair, I remember our struggles back in 2012. Remember when people worried that Davis was too skinny to play in the post and was getting outmuscled? Remember when Teague had his issues and we actually had to have Lamb bringing the ball up the court for some games. Remember when Darius Miller earned the nickname “Disapperius”? Remember Jones being called a head case? Maybe there’s hope.

10:17 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Remember 2014? We lost 11 games that season, but still made the title game. This was only our third loss. Let’s not hit the panic button just yet.

10:27 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

i’m not in panic mode. but if we don’t beat kansas we won’t get a 1 seed. which means we probably won’t get the memphis region (heck they’ll probably find a reason not to give us a 1 seed anyway

• Realme
      10:34 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m not panicking, I’m just starting to get that feeling of, may not be our year. I’m spoiled. I want every year to be our year. There is reason to hope that they will grow over the next several weeks. They can’t have enjoyed that game any more than we did, and they have to know the way they played doesn’t work.

4. Wah Wah
    10:10 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

It happens.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Willis had one sequence in the first half where he was on an absolute tear – drilled a 3, blocked a shot, made several other hustle plays, and then disappeared. Why can’t he keep that up?

10:21 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Willis frustrates me so much. His entire game revolves around how he’s shooting. If he hits shots, then he’ll rebound and play defense, etc. and be good all around. If he misses shots, the rest of his game completely collapses, no rebounding, no defense. His confidence in himself is very fragile.

• symphonist41169
      10:34 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Excellent point. He frustrates me more than any player since Rob Locke…

6. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

How many times do opposing coaches say after a game “that’s the best we played all year”? #Everybody’sSuperbowl

7. Souf beach Lou
    10:15 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Bill Keighley is rolling in his grave. He would have wipe the floor with his blazer if he needed to.

8. ukjaybrat
    10:24 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

i’ve moved on from the loss… whatever. it’s going to happen because #Everybody’sSuperbowl yada yada.

But let’s go back to the terrible officiating in the sec… the guy that basically choke slammer briscoe didn’t even get a foul called on him. much less a flagrant that was probably deserved

• secrick
      10:29 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Oh yeah and the over the back on Gabriel on the rebound was awful.

10:34 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Not to mention that Evans on UT (and several players from other teams have done the same) pushed off to get open EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I’m not even talking a little chicken wing action, I’m talking full arm extension.

9. secrick
    10:27 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

To many players wanting to keep their average up . I think Cal will put a stop to that and the ball will start going into Bam. It’s one loss no big deal if we come back and beat Kansas Sat which will be a big chore. Kansas got beat last night but they played a very good team.

10:32 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

the worst part about kansas. they have an identical playstyle as tennessee… all guard heavy and not much inside. so they will look at last night’s game time and repeat exactly what they did to us. except hopefully with less bad officiating.

but look for them to pull bam outside the paint and go one on one with our guards.

10. secrick
    10:33 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Oscar Combs said today on the Leach Report that this team was one of Cals worst defensive teams he has had at Ky. No shoot blocker in the middle.

• Realme
      10:37 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

And they expected to be one of the best. If they play better defense, then they get more transition offense, which is what they’re so good at.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      12:02 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

It really is amazing how bad the predictions about our defense were. Everyone knew Monk didn’t play defense but we were told over and over how good Bam, Gabriel, and Fox would be…Gabriel is finally clicking on D slightly…but it is pretty pitiful.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Matt turns off the game to watch a TV show; and hate to tell you but Glen Campbell is from Arkansas…he’s not going to bless us.
    “Head Case ” syndrome is contagious.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

In Matt’s defense, when Kenny Walker interviewed Monk, he did say that he listens to some country music. He’s from Arkansas, after all.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

If the team is listening to “Rhinestone Cowboy”, I’m really going to start worrying.

13. CatBlue in LR
    10:37 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Shannon would lose that bet. Glen Campbell’s from Delight, Ark. Chances are Malik has heard of him.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Has anyone broken down games and checked to see if it is actually Roger Ayers who is making the critical calls against us in all of those losses? That would be interesting.

10:44 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Maybe it’s calls he doesn’t make? Was he the one who just stood there and watched Briscoe get choke-slammed from behind?

15. secrick
    10:42 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Looking forward to Feb 14, a little revenge on the Vols. Even though i do like Barnes and the rivalry isn’t what it use to be. Even the Tenn. players last night where not cocky.

10:46 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

yeah i had nothing on the players or barnes. they were playing the game and played it well. they had that chicken wing action that created space. but if the refs aren’t calling you for it, can’t blame them for doing it.

10:46 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I would like a Wildcat win for Valentine’s Day.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I thought Tennessee played very well….Single digit turnovers and they made some crucial shots down the stretch when we challenged them.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:52 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

That was one thing I noticed that I was very impressed with. When the clock his zero, Tennessee did very little celebrating. I have never been impressed with Rick Barnes, but last night was the first. Job well done.

11:05 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep, I halfway expected them to rush the court, but they did not.

16. Laker Cat 18
    10:45 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

My thoughts from the game:

1. We were whipped at every facet of the game last night. Our defense was horrendous as usual. Our offense, while we scored a lot of points at 80, wasn’t very efficient outside of Bam. It’s clear that no matter what happens, Monk is free to shoot from 2-50 feet away from the basket. 3-13 from 3 point range last night. If you miss that many, you better pick up the slack on offensive rebounding, which we did not do last night. Piss poor effort on the boards for our guys, but keep shooting Monk!

2. I saw a few chemistry issues that concern me. Where I can see Bam’s frustration from not getting the rock in the first half, he has to chill out with his teammates in high intensity situations. That’s not his job to verbally jump his teammates, it’s Cal’s. I could tell his words “may” have affected the game of other players.

3. The officiating was probably the worst I’ve seen all season in any game for any conference across the NCAA. It was called so inconsistent, I’m surprised either team could get into any flow. There were calls made that made me wonder how those guys passed the test to become officials. Officiating is becoming a SERIOUS problem in the SEC. It needs to be re-evaluated immediately by those in charge.

10:52 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

“That’s not his job to verbally jump his teammates, it’s Cal’s. I could tell his words “may” have affected the game of other players.”

It is if he is being coached that way. It’s been reported that KP is telling him to be more aggressive and demand the ball more. imo he’s not being aggressive enough in demanding the ball. and maybe if he was in the first half we might have had a lead at the half instead of down 5

• secrick
      10:53 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah and Monk got on Briscoe when they had they break away with a Tenn player down. Ha it’s just one loss and i am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill.

10:57 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. I will point out that sometimes Bam isn’t good at getting himself open and in position. The guards can’t really pass it to him if he’s allowed himself to be pushed waaaayyy off the block and has a defender hanging over his back.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:58 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

It’s one thing to demand the ball inside, but you can not jump your teammates. At one point, Bam was yelling, stomping, and flailing his arms toward Briscoe. You could tell Briscoe didn’t appreciate that much. It looked like he was having a tantrum.

On another note, one thing I did not appreciate was at the end of the game when we hit the 3 with 0.5 second left and everyone quit. Odds are it wouldn’t have made a difference. But down 2, with time on the clock…..Everyone backed off.

11:02 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

IMO, it is up to the coach to instruct the players how to execute, and also the coach’s job to get on them for poor play. Allowing a player to berate a teammate or tell him how to play is inviting chemistry issues, especially for a young team that has not been playing together very long. I am not talking about communicating with each other – I am talking about getting on a teammate’s case in the heat of battle. When I am coaching, if I see players on the other team doing that, I congratulate my kids because I know we are getting into their heads.

• Realme
      11:02 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Are you sure you’re not thinking of Monk? He went a little nuts when Briscoe didn’t attack because we had a 5 on 4 advantage.

11:04 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Time to do some team building then. Maybe they need to have a Festivus “airing of grievances”?

11:08 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Maybe they need a game of dodgeball, or head out to the paintball range.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:08 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

RCF – Exactly. It’s a mental factor. When I see opponents do that, I tell my guys (although it’s on the gridiron and not on the hardwood) to go for the knockout because they’re on the ropes. When you’re in that frustrated mindset, you don’t make rational decisions.

11:10 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Camping, some hiking, a ropes course, some trust falls, then making smores around the campfire. 😉

• Realme
      11:10 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t remember anything from Bam. I do remember this from Malik.

11:12 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I had the same reaction as Malik there. We had the advantage and should have attacked and capitalized.

• Realme
      11:14 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Agreed, one of many big mistakes made last night.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:17 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Realme – Yeah you’re right. That was Monk.

On that topic, what dictates when an official can call a play dead because of an injured player? I didn’t understand why it took as long as it did and why they even stopped it when they crossed half-court.

• Realme
      11:20 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t get that either. They let us play for a while, then stopped when we tried to reset. When we had a player down right after that, they stopped TN right away,

11:22 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

i think it’s essentially when there is not motion on the offense. so when the players stop running a play. which is why monk was upset. bc briscoe should have known they had the advantage and attacked the basket. instead he pulled up and that’s when they called the play dead.

17. runningunnin.454
    10:51 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Defense was better pre-conference; then we get in SEC play, and we get the phantom touch fouls….we can’t play the same smothering defense with the officiating inconsistency.

10:53 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

That’s why our defense took a dive. cal told his players to give up the two, not the foul. we can get the two back on the other end but we can’t get the foul baclk (esp if it’s your fifth). so they just don’t play defense anymore.

10:53 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

and that will come back to bite them in the ncaa tourney when the officiating gets better

11:03 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Well, you can’t blame Cal or the players when they call a foul on a defender for just standing there with his arms up. Or when there is no contact at all. Something has to change.

18. secrick
    10:54 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Do we miss Mulder that much?

11:00 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

We could have used his shooting and rebounding last night. Hopefully he gets over his illness and is ready to go on Saturday.

19. CatBlue in LR
    11:01 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

No, Matt, the caller’s right. Teams usually zone on inbounds plays under their own basket. It’s just too easy to get wiped off with a back-pick or cross-pick down low if you’re in straight man. For decades, coaches have said it’s best to zone out-of-bounds, even ones that are man-to-man all the time.

20. J-Dub421
    11:07 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

On a positive note – Brent Mussburger is retiring and will call his last game Jan. 31!!! Hallelujah!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I really loved that Bernard King lovefest…”I’ll never lose to that team again”.
      Maybe Mushburger should look up the overall record, 152-69.

11:22 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Now if Kzychevskisjhfejii (whatever his danged name is – coach buy-a-vowell?) would just follow suit…

21. runningunnin.454
    11:09 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

The team is going to have to stop pouting, and start listening to Cal. Right now, I don’t think anybody is ready for the NBA…too much inconsistency; even Bam has very few post moves.
    I think the whole team should consider returning next year and learning their tradecraft.
    People say injury, injury, injury and take the quick payday; but, you can’t play the game that way.

• secrick
      11:21 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Never going to happen, Billy Donovan got his guys to come back and won 2 in a row , not sure how he did it but these guys want to play in the NBA and it’s hard to pass up the money.

11:24 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Billy got those guys back because almost all of them were the children of professional athletes who were already millionaires themselves. No pressure to get a big paycheck to change your family’s situation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Harrisons, Dakari, Murray, Skal…..
      This group is jut not ready.

11:36 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

It was also JUST before the one and done era. i bet if that exact same situation happened now, at least half of them would bolt. it’s just a different time in sports now.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Did Matt just ask Shannon “Did you try the bong?” on the radio?

Related – if you say the word “balm” on a plane, will the marshalls escort you off the flight? 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

You can’t say balm on a plane….you can’t say there’s “Snakes on the Plane”, either.

11:41 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Really you just can’t incite fear or panic of any kind. doesn’t matter what you say. bomb and snakes are just the most common.

11:43 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

“Who told you to put the balm on? Did a doctor tell you to put the balm on? OH the MAESTRO told you to put the balm on?!?!” – Jackie Chiles

23. Realme
    11:22 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I guess I’ll stop complaining about Musburger. He finally learned our players names (although he can’t tell the difference between Briscoe and Gabriel, for some reason), and he’s finally going to retire and not make us listen to him anymore.

• secrick
      11:36 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah he has been ok through the years and was pretty good back in the day.

11:42 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

i prefer his football analysis. mostly because him and kirk herbstreit would always do the big games.

• Realme
      11:49 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Ugh, that one game this past season where he was calling our game, but talking more about the Bama game he was watching on the tv… I hope he’s about to be done with both sports.

11:51 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

yeah that was annoying. he definitely had money on that game. either that or he was pissed they demoted him to calling a kentucky game instead of bama and wanted espn to know it.

24. Realme
    11:29 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Fox wasn’t bringing the ball up a lot of the time. Of course he’s not going to look like himself. I assume they were protecting his ankle by not having him speed up the court.

25. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I disagree with Matt – I think the ankle was definitely bothering Monk. A few times he was visibly limping coming off the court.

26. runningunnin.454
    11:31 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Flintstones and Brady Bunch…..digressing.

11:36 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I miss watching the Flintstones. The Brady Bunch, not so much (although as a kid, I though Marcia was hot.)

27. THE William Hill
    11:32 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Where are all the experts that where on here last night…? Paging Luether….

11:34 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

They only come out from under the bridge at night (after many shots of bourbon) or after a loss.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Last night was pitiful, wasn’t it? I’ve never seen more great coaches and basketball experts in one place.

11:36 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yep, you can always expect at least 75 pearls of wisdom attached to every article after a loss.

11:41 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

From people who just made an account and have never posted before and will never post again…

• THE William Hill
      11:42 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Team takes its third loss of the season, and Cal is on the hot seat. Hahah. Some of these folks need to get a life…

• THE William Hill
      11:46 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

My Rally’sâ„¢ Retarded Comment of the Day winner (so far):

“Come June he will get what he is after, another 5 draft picks and we will still be without a title. He has had, by far, the most talent in the Country the last 15-20 years and got 1 title.” – WeareBBN

11:50 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

he’s gotten the most talent in the country only 6 of the last 7 years and has 4 final fours and 1 championship to show for it.
      before that he was getting one maybe 2 good players a year.

28. RealCatsFan
    11:33 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I coach a HS girls club volleyball team, and one of the things we emphasize is getting the ball to our middle hitter (the tall “aircraft carrier” player akin to a center on a BB team) early to establish the play and keep the defense honest. The same thing needs to happen with Bam. Go to him often and early against Kansas to get him rolling and force them to try to stop him. Then kick it back out to Monk or Willis (or even Wenyen) on a double-team for an open 3. Hopefully they will not try to draw a lot of cheap fouls on Bam with charges and other nonsense.

• secrick
      11:39 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yeah i agree, i don’t mind Monk shooting any three as long as he is open and by going to Bam first he should be wide open with the kick out.

• runningunnin.454
      11:40 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yes, and defensively, we can’ leave Josh Jackson to double the ball….stay in his face.

29. Realme
    11:36 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Family minute – ED remedy – Family minute – ED remedy – iheart rock minute – family minute – ED remedy. Sometimes I envy the podcast listeners who can just skip commercials.

• secrick
      11:40 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t get to listen to the radio i just read the comments and go with it.

11:44 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

secrick ditto
      i usually listen to the podcast after lunch or omw home and during my workout

• Realme
      11:44 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Well, now you know what you’re missing out on. 🙂

11:48 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

i can stay pretty much on point most of the time. cept for one time me and a dude got into an argument about the new logo. i thought he was talking about the sideways birds making love but he was talking about the almost Houston logo. and we weren’t on the same page for a good 20+ comments lol

30. J-Dub421
    11:39 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

That dude just listed off a bunch of people I’ve never heard of. Also Kentucky invented Bourbon. You’re welcome would.

11:39 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

*World, not would. Sigh.

11:42 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Sounded like he might be well acquainted with bourbon, or maybe sour mash. 🙂

11:52 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Is it safe to say that “Matty Boy” is going to replace “Matty Bangs”?

31. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Yes, I know she’s a Louisville fan (somewhat), but did Matt name Jennifer Lawrence? And I’ll put Cage the Elephant up against his Weezer and raise him one.

11:51 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

Nappy Roots too.

32. runningunnin.454
    11:42 am January 25, 2017 Permalink

How about John Carpenter of “Halloween” fame? He attended WKU, and his father was in the music department there.