Lynn Bowden Jr. traded to the Miami Dolphins

Raiders

Raiders

Lynn Bowden Jr.’s career as a Las Vegas Raider is over before it even began.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Bowden has been traded to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for a fourth round pick.

Just this week, Raiders general manager Mike Mayock joined Chalk Talk with JT the Brick to talk about Bowden’s development, noting that the franchise was going to be patient with him as a rookie.

“He rushed for 1,400-1,500 yards at quarterback. Sure, a lot of it’s zone read, but he’s running quarterback counter, quarterback power, which are traditional I-formation plays for a tailback,” said Mayock. “… Like I’ve said with all the rookies, let’s take a step back and try to understand what he’s trying to do. Even though he’s coming from the SEC and he’s got heavy production at two positions, we’re asking him to play a completely different position. We’re putting a lot on his plate.

“He’s got running back plays. He’s got punt returns. We’re going to ask him to catch the ball, so we’re asking an awful lot of this young man. Any time you ask a college player to play a different position it’s called a projection and you’ve got to give them some time. That’s the way I feel about Lynn. Lynn has come in and done everything we’ve asked. We just have to continue to give him the time to learn to convert to a running back primarily. And he’s never been that before.”

“Time to learn” evidently meant less than a week, as Bowden is now a Miami Dolphin before he could even play a game with the Raiders.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

27 Comments for Lynn Bowden Jr. traded to the Miami Dolphins

1. kykid16
    3:35 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Something doesn’t smell right, 3rd and 6th rounds for a 4th?

2. Cokely53
    3:37 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

They must not have liked him. What a shame. Didn’t even give him a chance. That or discipline problems would be the only things I could think of.

3. Papaw
    3:41 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Guess I’m a dolphin fan now

4. bkeith75
    3:55 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

I just read an article that said he was great learning the playbook but struggled terribly in pass blocking from the RB position. I like Kim at RB but you HAVE to be able to pass block from that position the the league or you can’t play.

• bkeith75
      3:56 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Like *Him at RB.

• ComfortablyNumb94
      4:53 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Mind sharing where you read that article? Sounds interesting and pretty plausible

• bramstoker
      5:12 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

If so that terrible draft prep on the Raiders part. Bowden himself could have probably told them blocking wasn’t his forte. I never liked the vibes I got when they showed Gruden calling him on draft day…like it was a shot in the dark…even Lynn seemed surprised.

5. Headhurts
    3:56 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Chalk this up as a bad decision Da Raiders are good at, like when they let Amari Cooper go to the cowboys, hope this is a better fit for Lynn.

• bkeith75
      3:58 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Agreed. The Raiders have been known to make some boneheaded moves.

6. CatManDo
    4:14 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Sorry to all the UK fans who bought a Bowden Raiders jersey.

7. UKinIN
    4:16 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

I guess we all know Bowden’s least favorite NFL team now.

8. bigbluebg
    4:22 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

I hope the fins move him back to WR. He seems more natural at that position.

9. bbn606
    5:03 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

That was fast. Apparently they didn’t have a plan B.

10. mashman 93
    5:03 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

This is great I have been a Dolphins fan since I was a kid.

11. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    5:05 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

He doesn’t need to be an RB unless it’s for a team like the Patriots, Green Bay, or the Chargers were he would be catching as much as running. What they needed to do was have him play wildcat from the reciever position, they have to many receivers.

12. BigBluSoTru
    6:54 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Told you guys what he did here was not going to translate whatsoever in the NFL wasn’t a very good receiver , surely not a rb . He nothing but a special teams player dime a dozen willbe out the NFL in 2 years. I feel for the kid maybe Stoops can give him a gig as a GA. He might be a decent recruiter with his personality.

• runningunnin.454
      9:48 am September 6, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, you tell us a lot; you’re a manuring master; an excreta empresario extraordinaire. No one pays any attention. We all knew the Raiders were full of your specialty when they said he would be a RB.

• dcforuk
      1:03 pm September 6, 2020 Permalink

You will be SoBlu if he is in the league in two years!

13. nadkin
    9:41 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

He will have a better impact playing WR that is the whole reason Miami wanted him to catch passes. I think that he will be more comfortable in that role, he will do some good stuff playing slot.

14. nadkin
    9:44 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Also to say he wasnt a good reciever is bull crap it is hard to catch when your are about to get drilled, or the ball is a foot behind your shoulders. He never really played the same position enough to judge his receiving skills. I have seen him come down with alot of passes that were uncatchable if thats a word.

• kjd
      10:51 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Seen him drop too many right in his hands.

15. friendsofcoal
    11:20 pm September 5, 2020 Permalink

Amazing college player but (I hate to say it!) I’ve got my doubts about him in the NFL.

16. millertim
    9:43 am September 6, 2020 Permalink

It would appear the Raiders GM is trying to alter the image of the franchise (Antonio Brown) and may have felt that Bowden had a bit too much of AB in him— wonder if work ethic and bad attitude played a role. Remember when he first came to UK he sulked and caused problems on the team b/c of lack on playing time and a run-heavy playbook. He was great last year b/c he had his hand on the ball all the time and ran it 90% of the time. I’m not a fan of the Riaders but was glad to see Bowden go play for Gruden…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:39 pm September 6, 2020 Permalink

I think his attitude had improved before that. I believe the Raiders were wrong in trying to use him as an RB. He should be a slot receiver first IMO and line him up in other positions if the situation calls for it (the wildcat on 4th and short or at the goal line for example). I’m no expert at all, but based on my layman’s knowledge of football and reading comments here from people who know more than me, that’s my take.

17. Bluenblood
    10:22 am September 6, 2020 Permalink

Not what you want to see. Was hoping he would blow them away with his talent. Not to be and hope it doesnt stain his future in the NFL. Fn Raiders are pretty much a joke anyways

18. damage_control
    3:56 pm September 6, 2020 Permalink

Tua will be happy

19. damage_control
    3:57 pm September 6, 2020 Permalink

And yea, Gruden and the Raiders are a complete joke of a franchise. Miami not much better but at least they won’t have to deal with Brady this yr.