Luke Hiers decommits from Kentucky

881859

Mark Stoops and the football team may be going through their open practice, but there’s a bit of bad news waiting for them when they get back to the office. Three-star offensive lineman Luke Hiers has decommitted from Kentucky. Hiers, who committed to UK back in May, announced the news on Twitter a few minutes ago:

Hiers confirmed the news to the Herald-Leader’s Ben Roberts, saying that he has thought hard about the decision and “they are not right for me.” He also has offers from Duke, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, Miami, Nebraska, Ohio State, and others. 247 Sports composite considers him the 10th best center in the 2015 class, and the 530th player overall.

UK still has commitments from five offensive linemen in the 2015 class: George Asafo-Adjei, Levon Livingston, Logan Stenberg, Larry Wells, and Mason Wolfe.

UPDATE: There are rumblings that Hiers’ decommitment may have been more on UK’s side than his after he failed to impress at recent camps. In fact, Scout’s Patrick Loney is reporting that Hiers didn’t receive an official offer letter from UK, and was so frustrated that he decided to decommit.

39 Comments for Luke Hiers decommits from Kentucky

1. Costa Rica
    10:52 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Bummer.

2. catlogic15
    10:52 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Don’t let the door hit ya’…..

3. UKfanNKY
    10:54 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Sorry to hear Luke……keep in-mind that at those “other” schools you could be riding the pine for 2-3 years @ KY you “could” come in and be a starter your FS year!!

• Honest
      11:10 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Gotta love the small minded and their infatuation with instant gratification.

• Reality
      11:56 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

It sounds like he’d be riding the pine at Kentucky too based on the update from Mrs TT

• Reality?
      3:44 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, Stoops has so much depth at OL, he literally has to turn down 4 star recruits. 😆

4. StuckatWork
    10:55 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

I wonder what has changed with this kid. He was very excited about UK for a long time. To now say simply “They are not right for me” seems to be a major change in attitude.

5. LeX
    11:04 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Lets be real. Id be surprised if the kid could spell “truck”. I dont think we’re missing out on much.

6. Hmm
    11:05 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

The kid is a Center. Maybe he wants to be on the field more that 3 snaps at a time.

• tltaworl
      11:45 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

I love the Cats, but that is funny

7. Red Headed Stepchild
    11:07 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

May be academics. I’m sure Ohio St. & Nebraska will be the next to fall off the list, the other schools have lower academic standards.

• Reality
      11:57 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Louisville would be a great fit for him then!

8. REALLY!!
    11:09 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

He has a 4-star ranking in rivals, and is one of the top Centers in his class. OUCH!! oh well, time to move on.

• bramstin milsapp
      11:20 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Exactly, so the update about never offering him seems odd…

• Reality
      11:58 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

The word “overrated” sounds about right then. If you can’t impress at a camp full of other high schoolers, you’d get crushed in the SEC.

9. Blue To The Bone...
    11:09 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Stay classy here folks…unlike the bunch at EPU Hmm…Good luck to Luke and it is a long time to Feb…

• Honest
      11:12 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Our fans handle rejection like a 9th grade girl stood up at homecoming.

• bigredbleedsblue
      11:35 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

I agree you Louisville fans are the worst.

• Honest
      12:33 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

So because I criticize the fans then I am a UofL fan? You must live in a very black and white world.

• bigredbleedsblue
      3:13 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Are you having a hard time dealing with my rejection of your comment?

• Mayor in black skin tight
      6:25 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

EPU? Eastern Parkway University?

10. Chester'sMullet
    11:51 am August 11, 2014 Permalink

Only KSR would act like the 3rd best center in the country isn’t good enough for UK. He was sold a pipe dream of rescuing ky football and playing w/ Drew Barker. He’s realizing now that neither is gonna happen.

• royal blue
      2:12 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

You do realize that there are more sports sites in the world. Why bother with KSR then. I’m sure nobody will try to make you stay. Misery loves company, I guess that’s why people like you come on here. Sad.

• Chester'sMullet
      3:47 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Some of those “other” sites say he’s the second best center…but yeah, who need him?

11. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    12:01 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

We all know what it was like to be 16 or 17 — God only knows what all we’d be posting at that age had social media been around (which is why I believe twitter should be for those 18 and up so kids don’t put their future in jeopardy via regrettable tweets they can’t take back). That being said, this young man appears to be reaching out for help based on his twitter timeline:

June 5: Not feeling too good right now
    June 6: I can’t do anything right
    June 6: I’m going to be the best
    June 9: Feel like my dream is going down the drain
    June 11: Working my butt off to prove to you I am the best
    June 28: Don’t feel right
    July 5: I need someone
    July 6: At least the #BBN loves me. I’m so privileged to be a part of it and play for the U of K
    July 12: Feeling alone
    July 14: I mess up a lot. Even when I don’t know it :/
    July 15: I don’t know if I can do this much longer
    July 15: I hope I won’t be like this. This weekend
    July 15: I’ll be up at UK this weekend. That will clear my mind

I hope he finds the best fit for him and wish him the best of luck. Stay off twitter, young teens!

• JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
      12:42 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Ouch that was painful to read.

12. 2-10Again
    12:16 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

He must have seen the fan day scrimmage….sigh. I’m calling BS on the “kid weren’t that good anywho” comments. FOUR STARS do not get over rated.

• TeddyHeisman
      1:37 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, I agree.

13. Duh
    12:29 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

And I’m calling BS on you. Morgan Newton was a 4*, Micah Jones was a 4*…I could go on, but not gonna embarrass anyone else. Recruits are CONSTANTLY both overrated and underrated. Recruiting rankings are at best an inexact science, and at worst baloney. “Failed to impress at recent camps” sounds a lot like overrated to me. Good luck to the kid….hope he finds a good situation somewhere.

• Duh
      12:30 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

^meant to reply to 2-10Again

• UKfan
      1:40 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

2-10 is a troll…like sociocard(path) or “Tom”. Anyone who knows anything about recruiting knows that ratings are not definitive..only a good indicator for overall.

14. Poy3ess
    2:13 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Best of luck. Crap move on KSR to act like we did not offer the kid.

Move on and get another one Stoops!

#WhyNot

15. Audio
    3:02 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

KSR is hardly the only outlet saying we pulled his offer. I know that’s usually the knee jerk answer from fans when somebody decommits, but with Scout, Justin Rowland from Rivals, and 247 all saying we didn’t send his official offer and this may be more UKs decision than his, I think we might have one of the rare cases where the “we pulled the offer” crowd is correct.

• Beaumont
      3:14 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

This might be the case, and if so, it would be nice to hear the insight behind this decision from one of the coaches. Not sure how you don’t secure a kids commitment that is rated as highly as this one, in a position that we (as well as everyone else) always need.

• BiggCat27
      6:05 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Coaches can’t comment on recruitables. They never would, regardless.

16. Beaumont
    3:08 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

I can’t stand when people bash a kid for deciding to go somewhere else. It is stupid and classless. Good luck to Luke, I hope he is a success wherever he decides is the best fit for him. I was excited that he originally choose the Cats, and was looking forward to him being a big part of the success of our OL. It is still a long way to go before signing day, so hopefully our coaching staff can reconnect with the kid.

17. CatsBalls
    3:24 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Pretty bad to accept the kids offer, then use him to get Marcus Walker to re-commit, then not send him an official offer. The ugly side of recruiting for sure, but too soon for Stoops to get the reputation.

18. Times They Are A'Changin'
    4:43 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

UK turns down a 3-star player?

The winds of change are a’blowin’…

19. Tom
    5:48 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Good to see I’m thought of even when I’m not posting.
    Thanks UKfan.
    it seems our future and Stoops’ pocketbook is based on these so called ‘ratings’.
    Then we get the great news that the defense out shined our offense.The same offense that is mulling over who to start at quarterback.
    Of course with another year of experience, our defense has so improved how could our vaulted ‘Air Raid’ get off the ground?
    We’re fixed! Give him another million.