Luke and Butch’s Final “News and Views”

bushwhackers

On October 24, 2006, I sat down to do a post on KSR about the news of the day. It was late at night and I thought it might be good to summarize what happened in a succinct manner for those that hadn’t been on the website all day. It then occurred to me that with the varied interests that I had, it might also be cool to dedicate a lead-in for those news tidbits, in this case to one of my favorite tag teams in WWF history, the Bushwhackers. And thus the first ever KSR night post was written, “Luke and Butch’s Tuesday News and Views”. The post is worth your click, if for no other reason than to see what we were talking about at that time on this site (Scotty Hopson and Jai Lucas were two of the topics) but to show how far and how little the site has come. That narrative form…the end of the night summarized with the news of the day and the first paragraph on something besides sports, has basically been with us ever since. However this will be the last KSR Night post as we have known it. Because of the change in how we get information, summarizing the days events isn’t quite as important…but because this post was the centerpiece of the site, it took quite a bit of time. So rather than do that, Drew and Tyler will be able to focus on other posts and a new edition to the site, a yet unnamed morning post that will set the issues of the day at 8 am every morning (the first will be tomorrow). It is a small change but one that is meant to better serve the readers and the changing internet. But after nearly 2,000 KSR night posts in its history, I admit to being a little sad to see it go. We go out like we came in…with Luke and Butch and the Bushwhackers. Tomorrow a new era of “morning posts” will begin.

With that said a couple of quick things:

— Many of you are asking me about what Jamal Murray is going to do when he announces on Tuesday. The short answer is, I don’t know. All the scuttlebutt right now comes from Canada and Oregon and it all points to the Ducks. However I haven’t heard that from the folks in Lexington and until I do, I won’t say the deal is done. But I admit that it doesn’t look great at this moment. My guess is that we will find out a lot more tomorrow. IF the Cats lose Murray, it is yet another Spring recruiting second place, a position that Kentucky simply has not been in during the Calipari era. The reasons why vary from being attacked on the platoon system to an odd class of kids to potentially some choices backfiring by the coaching staff. Either way, Murray would be a huge get and if the Cats lose him, it will be disappointing. I do believe however there is another potential addition that could be on the horizon before the season starts…however Murray is the big fish and Tuesday will be an important day for UK.

— While the Murray news could be not the best for UK basketball, UK football got huge news this weekend with the commitment of Marcelys Jones from Ohio State. Jones nearly came to UK the first time out of high school and decided to make the same decision a little later by coming this time after spending one season with the Buckeyes. It can’t be overemphasized how big a get this is. He will join the class of next season and will be the third Offensive Lineman to commit who is an All American…think about that…UK will have THREE ALL AMERICANS joining the team on the offensive line. As best as we can tell, you have to go back to 1979 to get the last three offensive linemen All Americans to commit to Kentucky COMBINED…and now three in one year. It is a massive commitment and will pay dividends in 2-3 years that are huge.

We start the KSR Tour Monday morning but we will have more on that in the new Morning post at 8 am. While the end of the night post really means nothing, I spent hundreds of nights (especially in the early years) writing these as the last thing I did before I went to bed. This being the last one does make me slightly sad but those that have done them for years (me, Drew, Tyler and Beisner before that) it is probably a blessing. See you guys in the morning and at 10 am from Prestonsburg, the first stop of the KSR Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass Tour!

Article written by Matt Jones

18 Comments for Luke and Butch’s Final “News and Views”

1. MONGOLIAN STOMPER
    10:39 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

With no more night posts…..kinda makes the site dead when the sun goes down!!!!

2. Matt Jones
    10:45 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

The opposite…there will be posts at 8, 9, 10, etc…but we will just end slightly earlier and start slightly earlier

• DEEZ NUTS
      11:08 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

Is this the real Matt jones?

3. Todd
    10:51 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

**SOBS**

Oh well, at least I won’t be looking for excuses to stay up until 11pm anymore. 🙂

4. SportsFan
    11:18 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

Seems like that is like missing the 11 o’clock news on TV and watching it as a rerun in the morning. If this was Friday night it could almost missed Jones Yahtzee. To say this is the last post as we know it and apparently no post after 10:00, may I remind you, that some night football games and many basketball games aren’t even over with by 10 …. I am sure there is a reason,,,but apparently I am not the only one that is disappointed in the early shut down. On a fun note though Cereal Bowl was AWESOME…just don’t lose sight of what has been good to you in the past.

5. Tom
    11:19 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like the crew is getting older and can’t stay up late to do these posts anymore. Oh well, it was a good run and will be missed.

6. Matt Jones
    11:27 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

There will be posts after 10 if news happens…just like there was before.

7. John
    11:50 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

For me, and I assume many others, the night post was the only time and reason I got on KSR for the day. However, I see why you are doing it (so people will click on every story within the app, instead of just one click for a summarization when they are on the app at night). I’m sure there are other reasons, but I think in the long run this could hurt the site. You could lose the “low to moderate” nightly KSR readers. Also, not everyone checks Twitter all of the time to keep up with news (or even has Twitter for that matter) and this filled that gap. Hope it works out though!

• ^^^What John said^^^

I’m not on Twitter at ALL. I only recently opened an account to send a tweet to Courtney/KSR but it didn’t make the top 10. *sad face* Hah!

I still have the account but I’m just not a Twitter/Facebook guy (nor any other social media). I have one more photo I’ll send to Courtney to try to make the top 10 though! 🙂

8. alex
    11:56 pm June 21, 2015 Permalink

Loved the News & Views posts. Although it was just a compilation of stuff I had read throughout the day, the format and time was great to hit before I went to bed. Will be missed.

9. realme
    12:06 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Bummed the nightly recap post is going away. Most days I’m on KSR a dozen times, but at the end of a busy day, it was a good way to catch up on what I might have missed without having to scan through a thousand posts.

10. macon_volfan
    1:37 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Wow–Tom Gray and a story about the Big Black Member. That post was vintage KSR for sure.

11. Angelo
    2:13 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Matt find a west coast writer to do the night post.
    A rehash is better than nothing. The late night comments are fun to read.

12. CaliCat
    4:29 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Big mistake to get rid of the night post. It’s the best and most valuable of the day. Did you ask your readers before making this decision? I live on the west coast, and reading the night post is part of my evening ritual. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to read KSR during the day and without the night post, the site loses a ton of value for me. I can’t imagine I am the only one who feels this way. Bad call on this one. Time to do a Maker’s Mark about face. Don’t dilute the bourbon, bring back the night post!

13. ky83cat
    7:30 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Wow!. Possibly the worst decision since they canceled the original Star Trek series because they couldn’t see its long-term value. For those who work the long hours or live in the wrong time zone, late night News and Views summary was our Letterman, for all things UK (or things just funny!).It will be missed, as will my regular late night visits.

14. memphis wildcat
    10:12 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

Will give you the benefit of the doubt but sure was nice to have the summary when I could not visit during the day…

15. theWilkman
    10:27 am June 22, 2015 Permalink

I check Twitter so I’m usually pretty current on what’s happening, but it was nice to have the night post to recap everything, mainly for the personal stylings of the writers. Looks like the decision is frowned upon so far. I imagine Matt and Co. have access to analytics so they know how often and when posts are clicked, so let’s hope it works out.

16. Paranoid Cat
    1:50 pm June 24, 2015 Permalink

Getting rid of the nightly post is the worst mistake in the history of mankind. This ends my tenure as a UK fan. Etc, etc.