LSU Basketball player killed in shooting

Terrible news out of Baton Rouge. LSU Basketball player Wayde Sims was killed early this morning in a shooting near the Southern University campus. The shooting reportedly took place around 12:25 a.m. Sims was transported to a local hospital, where he died from a gunshot wound.

Sims, a Baton Rouge native, was a junior for Tigers. Last year, he averaged 5.6 points and 2.6 rebounds per game. He was the 2014-15 Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year. His father, Wayne, also played for LSU from 1987-91 under Dale Brown.

“We are all devastated,” LSU coach Will Wade said via statement. “We need your prayers for Wayde, for his family, for all of us. We are heartbroken.”

Sims’ teammate Aaron Epps posted this tribute on social media early this morning:

The Kentucky Basketball Twitter account sent out this message of condolence a few minutes ago:

What an awful story. Our thoughts go out to the LSU community.

[LSUSports.net]

UPDATE: John Calipari just sent out his condolences as well.

[mobile_ad]

7 Comments for LSU Basketball player killed in shooting

1. BluKudzu
    9:55 am September 28, 2018 Permalink

This is such sad and awful news. Each time I read or hear about these things, my heart breaks for the person and their family.

2. Wade
    10:25 am September 28, 2018 Permalink

Lost my brother at 20 and it hurts all the time. The family needs to be together. Very sad news. I didn’t see the whole story yet but senseless gun violence. Someone needs to pay!!!No matter what someone has done to you put down the guns and just fight.That way you live to fight another day. Dumb gun owners need to understand bullets have to land somewhere and it can’t be taken back. LSU has a hell of a team and I hope those young men have outlets as well bc they will need it. Sec and all schools need to make any money and resources available to help in anyway for all who are suffering . Life is precious and they all matter. Learn from yesterday live for today and pray for tomorrow.. rip . Sometimes gods plans don’t make sense. Spread the love.

• Luether
      2:02 am September 29, 2018 Permalink

People kill people – a gun is just one of many tools that are used…

3. Kat4Life
    10:29 am September 28, 2018 Permalink

Very sad news. Just heartbreaking

4. HarlanMan
    11:02 am September 28, 2018 Permalink

Lord, be with his family & friends.

5. sincitycat
    11:20 am September 28, 2018 Permalink

Sending my regards to his family and to the LSU community.

6. Miller45
    3:19 pm September 28, 2018 Permalink

Such a horrible thing to hear