Looking ahead to the SEC Tournament (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s disappointing performance in Gainesville and look ahead to their path in the SEC Tournament. Tune in or miss out.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

62 Comments for Looking ahead to the SEC Tournament (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:05 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

How did I not know before that Florida had a player named Gak?! Such a great name. Also the sound of my cat giving up a hairball.

• ClutchCargo
      10:11 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Ha! Every time I hear that name, I think Bill the Cat in the old Bloom County/Outland comic strip. I think Bill said “aaack!”, though.

10:17 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I miss the old cartoons like that! Bloom County / Outland, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side.

10:20 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Realme, there is nothing more disconcerting than being awakened in the middle of the night to that sound coming from the area of the foot of your bed.

• All those comics were outstanding, but The Far Side writer was the most genius of the bunch IMO.

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

RCF, and there is no other sound that will make me hit the floor faster than that one!

• Realme
      10:36 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

One of my cats likes to fling it on the wall.

11:22 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Does your cat have some baboon mixed in?

• Realme
      11:27 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I don’t even know how he does it. It would take some real control to aim a barf like that consistently.

11:37 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully his head doesn’t spin around too. πŸ˜‰

2. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I was at a volleyball tournament all weekend, so did not get to watch the game, and did not have any desire to see it on the DVR after hearing how bad we were.

Cal talking about the team “reverting” – I got a taste of this over the weekend, albeit on a much smaller scale with 14-year old female volleyball players. But in many ways, the team synergy is very similar. After making good progress the past two weeks, we let a 9 point lead melt away and totally reverted to bad old habits and playing “not to lose”. So in a way, I know what Cal is dealing with – immature minds that have not yet developed the capacity and maturity to maintain focus. 90% of winning in almost all sports is mental once the basic skill has been mastered and muscle memory has taken over.

10:15 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Also, our team has played in weekend tournaments four weeks in a row, and I think the mental fatigue has caught up to them. I bet the same thing goes on at the college basketball level.

• Realme
      10:23 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Have you tried using Cal-isms on them?

• J-Dub421
      10:26 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Have you tried telling them that they don’t poop ice cream?

• “This is what 14 year olds do.”

• Realme
      10:27 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Middle school volleyball is not for everyone.

• Realme
      10:35 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

You like your team.

10:36 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Ha! Yes, in fact I have used a few Cal-isms. Generally I get blank stares when I do. πŸ˜€

• ClutchCargo
      11:06 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I would imagine Cal gets those same exact blank stares from his freshmen players the first time they hear those Cal-isms.

3. kingave66
    10:18 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Can someone explain WHY the comments are always turned off on the Jonathan Miller posts?

• Because only liberals are allowed to not stick ta sports at times I guess. One day last week Matt started talking about the school shooting issue. I mentioned in the Show Thread that teachers in Israel are armed and it got deleted.

• ukjaybrat
      10:22 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

my guess:
      because they don’t want/need flame wars in the comments section from hard core liberals and conservatives who will generally not add to the content of the post in any meaningful way.

• Jay, I agree with that, but they let it go at times. My opinion is that it’s Matt’s site and he can hire anyone he wants to write. Heck, he can hire Hillary if he wants, but I believe closing the comments is gutless.

• And that’s all I have to say about that. πŸ˜‰

10:37 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Maybe they are afraid that the servers will crash from being overloaded. Kind of like when we lose.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

His articles are typically about hot button topics that are designed to stir up controversy. I get why they would want to shut off comments, but why only his stuff? Not sure why Jonathan Miller should be any less accountable for what he writes than any of the other writers on this site.

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

i dont think any write should be “held accountable” by any commentor. But even if you think so, you should be able to email Jonathon directly. don’t need comments enabled for that. and he can either read or ignore it as he sees fit. only person he is accountable to is matt.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

That’s a fair point, ukjaybrat. I don’t mean “accountable” in the same sense as employer/employee, though. And I’m definitely not the type to get into flame wars with strangers on the internet (with the exception of blasting the occasional troll on here). But if his posts are expected to result in such a crapstorm that the comments are shut down proactively, I just don’t understand why they are on here at all.

• ukjaybrat
      11:09 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

i agree with that. but i tend to think all far leaning folks are counterproductive to any real progress, so i tend to just ignore most political talk altogether because that’s the kind of people it attracts more often than not. oh well.

• RCF makes a good point about the servers crashing. Maybe they can upgrade with the ad revenue generated by Miller’s posts. πŸ˜›

4. So the big question: does Porter play to try to be the hero on Friday? Shades of Bo Whitley.

• secrick
      10:39 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Watch out for Vandy

• That was a reference to the show “Coach”, which I miss. In an episode where the Screaming Eagles were playing a big bowl game or something, Coach Fox had his star QB Bo Whitley fake an injury, and Bo hopped up out of a wheelchair and went in to the game late and saved the day.

11:19 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I used to love that show. My favorite character was “Dauber” – my neighbor down the street was a dead ringer for him.

• I just saw this RCF. Dauber does the voice of Patrick on Sponge Bob.

5. Commissionersteele
    10:21 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I would just like to add that “LIVE” doesn’t tell me what time to turn on my radio. If you want new people to listen you should probably post what time it airs

• Realme
      10:36 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

10-12 eastern time. M-F

• Commissionersteele
      9:42 pm March 5, 2018 Permalink

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

or LITERALLY any time of the day any day you want on podcast.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:49 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Did anyone else watch The Push show that Matt tweeted about this weekend? Interesting to say the least.

• Realme
      10:50 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I added it to my list but didn’t watch yet.

• I don’t have Netflix. I’m not a Luddite, but I guess I’m always behind the times with technology in some respects. I never got my first VCR or CD player until they had both become old hat, especially the VCR.

11:11 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

cg, I simply don’t have the spare time these days to sit down and watch much TV. I’m barely able to manage watching the UK games that I have on DVR. I started to watch the game from last Wednesday over the weekend, but I fell asleep at the end of the first half! Pathetic! And I was up until midnight last night going over video from our tournament this weekend so I would have more reasons to yell at the girls at practice tonight. πŸ˜‰

11:21 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

That was pretty much me on the sidelines this weekend, Realme. I alternated that with my Tubby-eyes-bugging-out impersonation. πŸ˜€

7. I thought the metaphor was “The sun melts butter but hardens clay”.

8. So I guess it’s safe to say the SEC tourney won’t be in Saint Lou again any time soon.

9. Realme
    11:26 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Nothing makes Ryan happier than listening to that song.

10. spincr4hire72
    11:26 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

And chuck berry like to pee on women. So there’s that.

11:40 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like you have it on good authority, do there’s that.

11:41 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

… SO there’s that. (Ten thumbs on the keyboard)

11. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I have the feeling that Hami will be the next Biscoe. Kid really doesn’t want another year in college, and might be willing to sacrifice long term staying power in the NBA for a shot at it next year, however remote that may be. A lot will depend on the kind of advice he is getting and whether he listens to the right people.

• ClutchCargo
      11:50 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I think Hami has a ton more upside than Briscoe ever did. Hopefully, Ryan gets his wish and Hami has “people who talk smart to him.”

12. J-Dub421
    11:44 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Postel had the stones to come in an clean house, which was needed. U of L has no money because Ramsay and his cronies, along with Jurich, etc. embezzled it all.

• ClutchCargo
      11:46 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Maybe they can double down on the gas pump donations to get more money.

• J-Dub421
      11:52 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Donors stopped donating (like John Schnatter) because their donations were basically being stolen and were going into the pockets of Ramsay, his assistant, Jurich, etc.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:45 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I really don’t understand the hate for Postel from the UofL fans. Are they afraid they can’t compete with big brother without all the cheating and corruption? Well, yes. That’s clearly the problem. πŸ™‚

14. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Good Lord, I have a 13 year old daughter. The thought that morons in this state would allow a child like this to enter into something as serious as marriage is appalling.

• Realme
      11:59 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, no excuse for not taking care of that long ago, let alone backing off from a recent vote to fix it.

15. J-Dub421
    11:54 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

Creepy gross old dudes want to continue marrying little girls and won’t go away without a fight.

11:56 am March 5, 2018 Permalink

I have a pretty good idea what I would like to do with “their dingaling”. It would probably involve fire.

• Stuck on Blue
      12:00 pm March 5, 2018 Permalink

RCF, mine would probably include a hammer.