Looking ahead to South Carolina (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Drew will discuss Saturday’s crucial showdown with South Carolina, the changes for Big Blue Madness campout, and much, much more. Tune in or miss out. (Or listen later on the podcast.)

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

59 Comments for Looking ahead to South Carolina (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. CATandMONKEY
    9:58 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

We can win this game IF our D can be simply mediocre, something we have yet to see this season.

• Realme
      10:08 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Jojo is supposed to play, so he will beat them. It’s what he does against SC. But yes, if the defense just improves to tolerable, that would help a lot.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:13 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Yep, we could put up 50 but give up 60. Hope I am wrong.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Go mediocrity!

2. secrick
    10:12 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I will have to say i can’t wait for the game , we need this win. Come on fans lets have some positive stuff this week.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:14 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Come on TEAM give us something about which to be positive.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Come on COACHES, do your job and put these athletes in the best position to win!

3. CATandMONKEY
    10:29 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

We have recruited players good enough to beat Southern Miss. Right?

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:29 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

The year we beat USC, we gave up 38 points. That was with some pretty dang good defensive players. We better score 60 again this week to have a shot.

5. cats paw
    10:35 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

so what you’re saying is that cats paw has been exactly right for years now and its hard to come up with any more lame excuses for hiring Stoops and not Petrino! apology accepted

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Who farted?

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Oh! It’s cats paw!

• Realme
      10:56 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

CP, your ability to exercise selective memory is very strong.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:19 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Cats Paw dreams of being a piece of corn in Bobby Petrino’s morning movement.

• ukjaybrat
      11:52 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

“cats paw has been exactly right for years”

except you weren’t. no one ever said petrino wouldn’t be successful. the whole argument was that he is a bad person. Which is why he is a perfect fit at louisville. because they are a win-at-all-cost program. great for them and great for you. But to me, it’s just a sport and i won’t sacrifice morals just to win a game.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:38 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

What is running through Coach Thomas’ mind right now? After leaving UL to come to UK, that has to be a tough mindset.

• Realme
      10:42 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I’ve been wondering that too.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

He doesn’t have Petrino for a boss anymore, that has to be better for him.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:23 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know about that. I’d probably take Petrino for a boss if my best player was the current leading Heisman candidate and my team was ranked #3 in the nation.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I have worked for a boss who was a narcissistic a-hole and a sociopath. I will never work for someone like that again. They make your life a living hell.

• Realme
      11:30 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I’ve had that boss once too. Definitely some sort of psychosis driving him. If he followed me to my current job I’d put in my notice immediately.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:51 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I’ve stayed at jobs with bosses filled with negativity for my co-workers, my teammates. It’s hard, but a sacrifice that seems worthwhile for short-term goals. It’s just how I am. Hindsight is 20/20 for Coach Thomas though.

• Clyde X
      4:18 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know how Stoops treats his assistants but, I would guess he gives them the respect that a gentleman gives as a matter of course. Petrino is low rent scum. I don’t know how he treats his assistants but I know how he treats his wife. I doubt his assistants fare any better. So, getting out of that situation had to be a good thing.

7. ukkatzfan
    10:49 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know this caller’s name (Darrell?, Guessing he is Larry and Darel’s brother) But he is full of crap when it comes to talking bad about Chester. Darrel doesn’t know our mindset. We are about 100% support to our team. We don’t want to give them a trophy(ala Crean) for participation. We want them to win.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I don’t tweet, but more in tune with TeamDarrell. I like Chester, but he seems a bit delusional. 🙂

9. Realme
    10:53 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

#teamneither I would think the average fan is not as extreme as either of those guys.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Amen to that. Darrell and Chester are both over the top. Though I’ll take a positive person over a chronically negative person any day. Negative people just wear on me, they constantly try to drag everyone down and sow misery.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:22 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

As delusional as Chester may be most of the time, he is ALAWAYS entertaining. We are all happier because of his calls.

10. Realme
    10:59 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I wish Matt had asked the caller that gave up his UK tix to go watch UofL instead what he wore to the game. I wonder if he showed up in Card gear.

• secrick
      11:01 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

No true Ky fan would do that, what’s the fun without the rivalry.

11. secrick
    10:59 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Chester has more fun than we do, he believes, doesn’t complain and knows you can’t keep firing Coaches every 4 years.

12. Howdy Doody
    11:07 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Chester ain’t to bright…

• J-Dub421
      11:16 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

*too

13. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Nobody is going to be happy about the changes to Tent City for Madness. Leave well enough alone. Some traditions should not be messed with.

• Realme
      11:18 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Always been a bucket list thing for me, but every year it seems to get less appealing because of the crowds and the limited space, the death race to get a spot. Have any of y’all done it before?

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I did it once while in college at UK. It was fun then, but I have no desire to do so again as an adult.

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:26 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Let’s be real here. Johnson is a much better option than Barker for the offensive scheme Gran runs here. He “should” be our starter until he proves otherwise from now on. He looked very good against a weaker NMSU. I’m actually looking forward to seeing what he does against USC.

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Agree. With the weak protection from the line, we need a QB with good scrambling ability who has the potential to make a broken play into a great play.

• ukjaybrat
      11:58 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

i’ll be interested to see how accurate he is on the run. because that was morgan newton’s problem. he was somewhat decent in the pocket (in the rare occasion he had a pocket). and he was halfway decent when he kept the ball. but if he was forced to throw on the run, he was god awful

• J-Dub421
      12:06 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

If last Saturday was any indication, I thought Johnson did pretty well with short passes while on the move.

15. blueblood526
    11:28 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Matt, did you see that Kurt Bush’s crazy ex girlfriend is in the news again?

16. cats paw
    11:29 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

why now? at the start of the yr Matt said its time to put up or shut up, Stoops has had enough time. It was beat South Miss or give it up. After losing once again…we have to beat S Carolina or its hopeless. – same song and dance, another 3.5 million dollar loss

• Realme
      11:32 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, but he means if people showed up during all of the abysmal seasons of the past, why in 2016 are they finally drawing the line?

• Kernel Sanders
      12:03 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

The straw that finally broke the camel’s back? I think the reason fans are finally drawing the line is that they have been treated badly. Lifelong season ticketholders were moved to new seat locations against their wishes, they were pushed to worse parking with higher prices. In short, you could tolerate a certain level of ineptness at a lower price, but when prices are jacked up AND you feel underappreciated as a fan all while the coach gets a fat raise and extension while the product on the field continues to suck….well it’s no wonder fans are drawing the line.

• inside info2
      1:00 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

What Kernel said. I have talked to 3 former season ticket holders who gave up their tickets because they were moved to a crappy lot for parking and felt extremely unappreciated. That plus all the hype the last 2 seasons with no results to show for it. But mostly because they felt taken advantage of.

17. J-Dub421
    11:31 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

When is the NCAA going to close the loophole that allows teams to hire a family member in order to sign a player? How is that any different than paying a player?

• Realme
      11:39 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I think they did address it, just obviously in typical incompetent fashion.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I thought they passed that rule right after Pitino tried to lure Teague with such a manuever.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

They certainly didn’t close the loophole. It’s how Washington landed Michael Porter Jr. and how WKU got Robinson.

• Beavis
      4:05 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub We are talking about the same NCAA that has not punished Duke and UNC for blatant rules violations. They never seem to wonder how players that can’t string two words together and make sentence can stay in school for years. Or how a college student can go to New York and put down 30K on a 100K jewelry purchase. They are a joke.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

Petrino and Pitino are more INfamous than Cal.

What about Harbaugh at Michigan? Tom Izzo?

• ukjaybrat
      11:56 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

“Petrino and Pitino are more INfamous than Cal.”

only in the state of kentucky. outside kentuck,y, nothing matters here except the next thing cal says on sports center. i would say cal is more infamous everywhere else.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am September 21, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know. I guess Cal is hated by some just because, but UofL has dominated the news in the scandal category since the KatHo thing broke last fall.

It is coming up on a year since that broke. Shouldn’t the NCAA be releasing the letter of allegations sometime soon?

• ukjaybrat
      12:26 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

feels like they are just letting football news takeover and they will released it when no one is paying attention so they can let their precious ACC school slide just like Duke and UNC

19. leon singleton
    12:14 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

Petrino have been the 2n coming of Bear Bryant. Fire Barnheart.

• RealCatsFan
      12:23 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

Saban is the 3nd coming of the Bear. Petrino’s pride will eventually equal his downfall. He will do something stupid that will give even a program like Louisville no choice but to let him go. See Jim Tressel, Paterno, et.al.

• RealCatsFan
      12:23 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

meant to say Saban is 2nd coming of Bryant.

• J-Dub421
      12:26 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

Leon, you are a scathing indictment of the educational system in the US.

• Beavis
      4:11 pm September 21, 2016 Permalink

Like him or not, Petrino is a good coach. Very good at evaluating talent. What gets me is the typical U of L fan that thinks he will not abandon them for the next opportunity. He lied to everyone, embarrassed the city and the University of Louisville and they welcome him back as a changed man. What a load. He will be gone within two years.