Look Ahead to 2017 with Kentucky Football’s Junior Day

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Even though the Class of 2016 just wrapped up three days ago, there’s no time for Stoops’ staff to rest, moving forward to the Class of 2017 with today’s Junior Day.

The premiere event to kick off the recruiting season, Stoops’ staff will host most of the current commits that make up the nation’s 10th-ranked class, according to the 247 Composite rankings. It’s also the first time they really get to roll out the red carpet for the uncommitted kids as they try to establish a rapport.  Here are the names that you need to get to know.

Committed

A pair of quarterbacks, Lafayette’s Walker Wood and Mac Jones from Florida, will attend Junior Day.  Jones has begun receiving more and more offers, most recently from West Virginia and Boston College.  It will be interesting to see where things stand with each quarterback with Darin Hinshaw now calling the shots through the air.

Mac Jones (@macjones2017) dabs with his mother, who has much better form.

Mac Jones (@macjones2017) dabs with his mother, who has much better form.

Wide receiver/defensive back Russ Yeast, the son of Wildcat great Craig Yeast, will be in Lexington today.  Nobody seemed more solid than the former Wildcat Great’s son, but things have changed recently for Russ.  He’s received a lot more attention from other schools, especially Louisville, and his family moved to Indianapolis when Craig took the position of offensive coordinator at Franklin College.  Putting on a good show today will be very important for Yeast.

Top Targets

The prospect that will catch the most attention from fan’s is Michigan transfer Brian Cole.  The #5 athlete in the Class of 2015 is taking his official visit today.  If things go well, he could be in blue this fall, sitting out a year before being eligible to play in 2017.

Lafayette offensive tackle Jed Wills has been a Wildcat visitor plenty of times before, but today is the first time they can really pull out all of the stops.  The highest ranked player in the state of Kentucky (Top 100 in all national services) recently received an offer from LSU, and is also being pursued by the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ohio State and Florida.  With more attention coming from big schools, there’s no end in sight for Wills’ recruitment.

Another in-state target is emerging from the mountains.  Belfry defensive tackle Cole Bentley had a strong showing at last month’s U.S. Army combine and could receive and offer from Kentucky soon.

From the state of Ohio, at the top of Vince Marrow’s list is 4-star wide receiver Javonte Richardson.  The Cats’ competition is tough — Michigan State is at the top of his list, and he attended Ohio State’s Junior Day last week.

Alabama 3-star safety J’Marick Woods has plenty of offers on the table — Michigan, Florida, Miss. State, Louisville — but today he’s dabbing in blue and white.

@JMarickWoods

@JMarickWoods

And if you thought that they wouldn’t but the new Wildcat logo on a helmet, this picture from 2018 Ohio linebacker Malik Vann is here to prove you wrong.

@_next_era1

@_next_era1

UPDATE

If you don’t like that one, you might like this one:

@UKCatsby90

@UKCatsby90

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for Look Ahead to 2017 with Kentucky Football’s Junior Day

1. Kat 308
    12:28 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

I like the new logo and love it on that chrome helmet. I would love to get a big commitment today. GO CATS!!!!

2. Joe Dan Gorman
    12:55 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

it doesn’t look THAT much like K-State

• RadioshackGreg
      2:19 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

It doesn’t look like K state at all. People need to quit saying that. No one would ever mistake the two once Kentucky starts using the new logo regularly. They look nothing alike considering that they both are drawings of wildcats.

3. A_Blue_Wildcat
    1:29 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Is it just me or have we lost all identity with our uniforms and logos? Think about it. First they add checker patterns on our uniforms, which is something that Tennessee is pretty well known for and has never existed in UKs history. Then they change the logo to what basically looks like a UH, and is almost identical university of houstons logo. Now they add a “secondary logo” even though UK has never had a secondary logo. Not to mention that it looks very similar to kansas state’s logo. I’ve never been a huge critic of uniform changes, honestly I like a uniform change every now and then, but it just seems like we’re losing any uniqueness. There’s less and less things that distinguishes us from others now and it just seems like its only going to get worse. The worst part about of all of this is that most of the fans didn’t want any of this. All of this happened because of Nike money (which yes, I understand is important and valuable to the success of the program) and has nothing to do with what the people who support the program want. Maybe I’m just overreacting, but it still infuriates me that all of these changes were made without at the very least asking what the fans might think. But hey, I guess I’m just some loser student that offers the university nothing more than a little bit of tuition money, what do I know.

• spaghetti
      1:34 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

A_B_W…UK had the checker pattern before Tennessee. If UK asked the fans what they want, there’d still be some people complaining like you are doing. Can’t please everyone, or even half of everyone. If the players like it (and clearly they do), it doesn’t matter. They give more to the university than you do with your tuition money.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      1:43 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

When did UK have the checker pattern in the past? Not trying to be a smart ass, just honestly don’t recall any time in the past UK had it. I never claimed to be giving more money to the university than the players. Obviously they are a much bigger part of the school’s success than I am, no shit, I was just saying that maybe you should at the very least consider the opinion of the 20,000+ that show up to every home game. I get that you can’t please everyone, but the least you could do is attempt to please the majority. Maybe hold a poll and ask what fans want on their jersey, maybe ask some students what they think, maybe ask someone other than a Nike executive what they think. But no, I’m sure the best thing to do is not ask anyone and just force feed the new look down everyones throat and disregard what anyone other than the players think. That’s certainly the best way to handle this situation.

• spaghetti
      1:55 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Regarding the checker pattern:

I guess it comes from horse racing.
      I like the idea of a fan vote for uniforms. Might be up to Nike to make that happen, tho. I wonder if they did that for Oregon and Maryland. Maybe you can consider contacting the student representative group, whatever it’s called. Maybe they can set something up. I like the new alternative logo. They’ve used the wildcat mascot as the second logo for years and I like the changes they made. I don’t expect them to get rid of the older one. I also don’t think the new one will stick because it looks like so many other ‘cat’ logos and a staple remover. But I may be wrong.

• RadioshackGreg
      2:20 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think one picture of Stoll Field in 1930 means UK gets to claim checkerboards over UT who has used it CONSTANTLY for 60 years.

• spaghetti
      3:19 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Never said we are claiming it over UT. Just that we used it in our stuff before them.

• Kat 308
      6:19 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

the new uniforms and logo are pretty cool

4. TonyMontana
    1:40 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Personally, I love the concept of new uniforms. I also love the alternative logo. I am not a fan of checkerboard on the jerseys, but I did like it in the endzone. The chrome helmet and the black helmet are two of the best helmets I have ever seen in my life. I LOVE THEM! Changing uniforms isnt costing us our identity. Quite frankly, its exciting our players, recruits and fanbase.

5. onsides
    2:39 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

The new logo looks like an arena league football expansion team.

6. Badboy
    2:56 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Enough of the UK football posts!!!! The ugly uniforms are just as bad as the team. It is hard enough dealing with the basketball woes without being reminded of the football debacle.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:44 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Enjoy probation. 😉

• whatwasthat
      3:46 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Then don’t read the football post, just scroll on by girly man. Football is a sport of men so just go read the hoops post. Never did like the power K, just looked goofy as it was, not wild about the new UK logo either. The players seem to like them, so if you don’t like the new UK or new wildcat, just don’t buy the merchandise, just put on a plain old blue shirt.

• Badboy
      3:46 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Nope. UK alum. Not every UK fan is blind.

• Kat 308
      6:20 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

I agree don’t read, I don’t like hearing about Louisville and Tennessee so I don’t get on their sites.

7. jr1122
    3:42 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

My opinion, these jerseys can be the best, best shoes, best helmet, etc. but none of that matters if we’re going to overtime with a FCS school or getting our head beat in during SEC play. I’m not saying “well at least they looked good.” Let’s get some priorities on recruiting and personnel to give us a chance to succeed, and then figure out new stuff.

By the way I always enjoyed the checkerboard pattern and the white UK helmets.

8. bige
    4:42 pm February 6, 2016 Permalink

Logo is no Bueno

Looks like two birds going at it missionary style.

Uniforms look good but make the checkers just stripes.

9. GACAT
    1:48 pm February 8, 2016 Permalink

It looks exactly like Kansas State. I love the UK, please keep it.