LIVE DIARY: Malik Newman’s announcement

malik-newman

We’ve been following five-star combo guard Malik Newman for a few years now. Today, Newman will announce his college decision and it’s down to Kentucky, Ole Miss, Kansas, LSU, Mississippi State and N.C. State. Mississippi State, his father’s alma mater, is the HEAVY favorite, but for the sake of “you never know,” we’re still going to watch.

Follow along as I bring you the latest buzz from Twitter, and watch the actual announcement at 1 p.m. ET on the Live Stream below:

LIVE STREAM:

1:13 p.m.: Malik Newman picks Mississippi State:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 12.13.13 PM

And he had a cowbell with him. That’s nice.

1:11 p.m.: I made the rookie mistake of refreshing the stream, which meant I had to listen to the Lowes commercial again. Currently buffering, but the inside of Malik’s jacket is orange:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 12.11.12 PM

1:08 p.m.: Oh boy, apparently this is going to be an entire show. The lady on the choppy screen just said Malik will come up “eventually.” The stream is so bad we may have to start captioning the best frozen moments, like this one:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 12.08.08 PM

12:59 p.m.: Clearly the live stream can’t handle KSR’s traffic. Buffering issues got me like:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 11.59.42 AM

No really. My feed has been stuck on that image for two minutes.

12:57 p.m.: Aaaand I just lost sound on the feed. Anyone else?

12:53 p.m.: I think this is Malik. If so, he’s having some real problems buttoning that jacket:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 11.53.34 AM

12:48 p.m.: The live stream is rolling and here’s the table. No hats…yet:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 11.47.53 AM

12:45 p.m.: Here’s the latest Crystal Ball predictions from 247 Spots, which pretty much confirm that Newman will pick Mississippi State here in about 15 minutes:

Regardless, we will see what happens.

21 Comments for LIVE DIARY: Malik Newman’s announcement

1. Kevin C
    1:01 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Calling this “live streaming” is like calling a parade a “race”.

2. nybrasky
    1:10 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

The reflection on the trophies looks like they’re in an empty hotel ballroom. Are they using a “clap track”?

• Laker Cat 18
      1:11 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I’ll bet they slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

3. Laker Cat 18
    1:10 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Is it weird that I thought Newman’s father was Malik? I was thinking, “Man, this dude looks 45 years old.”

4. Laker Cat 18
    1:13 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

He waited to see which players were going pro? And Mississippi State is the projected favorite? Who did they send to the pros?

• Kevin C
      1:18 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, that was some pretty telling BS. It’s so obvious this kid was railroaded to MSU by his dad and the Adidas affiliation.

5. Duuuuuude
    1:16 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I am actually excited about teams like MSU and LSU getting 5 star players. It will make the SEC stronger. These guys should not all be going to the ACC all the time.

• ukjaybrat
      1:19 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

THIS is absolutely the truth. if these guys aren’t going to UK, at least pick another SEC school and compete

• Laker Cat 18
      1:21 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I agree with you. SEC is looking promising after the recent recruiting surge.

6. BTownUKFan
    1:17 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

No surprise. Did he borrow one of his girl friend’s hair ribbons to use as a bow tie? What’s up with that?

7. Kevin C
    1:17 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

It’s pretty sad that in his announcement didn’t even name the school he was attending properly. “The University of Mississippi State” = UMS…..pretty sad. But when you obviously didn’t make the choice on your own, I guess you shouldn’t be expected to know much about the school…

8. ukjaybrat
    1:17 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

not going to lie. i was not very interested in malik coming to UK ever since i followed him on twitter. can’t really put a finger on what i didn’t like. just never seemed like /the kind of person i would want to root for.

Now if he came, would i have enjoyed his game? probably. But i’m not disappointed that he chose MSU…

• Laker Cat 18
      1:24 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

I was the exact opposite. I loved the kid’s game, have for awhile. I wanted him here. But he kind of strikes me as a follower now. Looks as if he just does what people tell him. That’s not what a PG does, but that’s what he wants to play. He said he was moved to PG for the last three games of his senior season. You’ve played 3 games at PG and you want to play that position in college? Just doesn’t seem to make sense.

9. Brandon
    1:17 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

“Your thing is under the table, so show us yours whenever you’re ready.”

• Kevin C
      1:20 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

She definitely looked like the type who would go for that “chocolate thunder down under”.

10. BigBlueBoom
    1:20 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Best of luck, Malik! No hard feelings here. Competing for championships just isn’t for everybody.

11. Laker Cat 18
    1:21 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

That was quite possibly the most weird, awkward, and uncomfortable college decision I’ve ever seen.

But let’s be real…He did what we all wanted Damien Harris to do in football. Best of luck to him.

• Kevin C
      1:29 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Except what Damien Harris did made sense ; he went to the #1 football program in the country. Ben Howland has never won ANYTHING…and the same goes for MSU.

• catdaddyd
      1:59 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Howland has been to multiple Final Fours, and coached some real major stars, Love, Westbrook, etc…

• CatsFanFrankfort
      2:20 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

Kevin C:
      I think that was Laker Cat’s whole point. We wanted Harris to come here (the football program of his in-state school, which I am sure a lot of elite football programs look at the same way we look at Miss. State’s basketball program). Instead, he went to the #1 football program, as you said. So it made sense. We wanted him to come here, just like Mississippi State fans wanted Newman to go there. So good for them, I guess.

• Laker Cat 18
      2:29 pm April 24, 2015 Permalink

CatsFanFrankfort – Exactly. Harris chose mind over heart, while Newman chose heart over mind. Nothing wrong with either one. At the end of the day, they both played the BBN so it doesn’t really matter. LOL.