Bl3cjaTIcAALbfA

Good morning and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. You’re in luck, because this is a huge show. Last night, Matt and Ryan taped an interview with Julius Randle to talk about his time at Kentucky and the upcoming draft, AND the gang is live from spring practice to give you the latest on all the happenings.

We’ll air the interview with Julius in the first hour, and in the second hour, we’ll shift to football, with interviews with the coaches and all the behind-the-scenes scoop you’ve been waiting for.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Topics include:

— Julius Randle opens up about UK and his future in the NBA

— Dakari decision coming today?

— Alex and the Twins

WKYH (600 am) Paintsville
WLSI (900 am) Pikeville
WPRT (960 am) Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240 am) Somerset
WTCW (920 am) Whitesburg
WBTH (1400 am) Williamson, WV

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WBGN (1340 am) Bowling Green 11am-1pm
WVHI (1330 am) Evansville, IN 5pm-7pm
WMTL (870 am) Leitchfield 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570 am) Morgantown 3-5 pm
WRIL (106.3 fm) Middlesboro Thur 8-10 pm
WPAD (99.5 fm/1560 am) Paducah 11-1 pm
WHAY (98.3 fm) Whitley City 2-4 pm

113 Comments for Listen to Julius Randle on KSR, live from Spring Practice (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. DrSayre
    9:55 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I wonder who Colin Cowherd will call a UK homer next? Pat Forde? You know, since he’s worked in Kentucky for a bit, he has to be a Kentucky homer. I really hope the Wizards make a deep run in the playoffs now.

• Delk for 3
      10:24 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I love watching the Wizards. They are extremely good. John Wall has turned into a great PG who looks to pass as much as he looks to shoot. Nene is a great big man and Bradley Beal is a dead-eye shooter.

2. Decorative Swizzle
    9:57 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Spring Game… Get some.

• 2 and 10
      10:01 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

No thanks.

• Hash
      10:20 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Any tailgating going on?

3. huntin chickens
    9:59 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

#3 yea buddy

4. NothingWitty
    10:00 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Hopefully Matt’s nicer today 🙂 I know their gimmick is “Be Mean to Ryan when he says something silly”, but yesterday was painful. I had to stop about half an hour into it. Excited to hear Julius’s interview.

5. huntin chickens
    10:02 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I have a request for all of #BBN. please be supportive no matter what these young men decide to do.

• realme
      10:05 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

*and if you can’t be supportive, just shut it.

• huntin chickens
      10:05 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

#troof

• Mc
      10:17 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Just a guess, but:

90% of the fan base will support them without showing it on social media. 5% of the fan base will support them through social media. 4% will not support them, but won’t voice their opinions on social media. 1% will bash them on social media added to who knows how many trolls.

1% will give the rest a bad name.

• Chris
      12:08 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

We disagree alot Hunting Chickens!! But i agree 100 % keep comments about players positive or at least somewhat positive!

6. Dakari
    10:05 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I am turning pro, will announce today.

• Rixter
      10:13 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

You just did, Dakari

7. Bob Stoops Likes UK Blue
    10:05 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Two National Championship Coaches At Kentucky Spring Practice http://wp.me/p4pLOr-fz

8. realme
    10:06 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

So, Dakari today, Alex tomorrow and Twins Friday?

9. CatsFanInKnoxville
    10:09 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Speaking of Fish and Wildlife…Matt’s wannabe girlfriend Margot Robbie went fishing and had some success.

10. Facts
    10:13 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Cant trust a word Matt says on evaluating or coming to a conclusion on football players. Remember last year he was saying Jalen Whitlow was going to be a top 5 QB in the SEC.

• Delk for 3
      10:28 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Did he really say that? If so, that is ridiculous.

• Chris
      11:48 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

LOL I dont remember him saying that, but Matt did love Whitlow and if a fan said anything about another QB .. Matt would laugh at the fan while being rude and would ask us if we knew more then the Coaches who were there everyday!! He was a huge Whitlow as starting QB supporter!! Not sure if he said the top 5 SEC qb thing but its very possible!!!

11. Rixter
    10:14 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius wasn’t joking when he said he has class.

12. Julius Randle
    10:16 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m going to class to teach people how to be a man.

13. TN CAT
    10:16 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Interview other players? So Matt knows more are leaving.

14. UKgirl
    10:18 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius was on the Dan Patrick Show this morning, he also sounded great! Dan told him he would sign a note to his professor letting him know he was late for class due to his interview. He is very personable.
    He gave Cal a ton of credit for getting him ready for the next level, and said Cal will always have his back.

15. Question
    10:20 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Is it bad that I was a little disappointed in UK’s SEC Network commercial and that I got chills during UT’s and Bama’s commercials. I thought UK’s could of been a lot better to capture the tradition of UK than just a light show on the court (though a very cool light show), it just didn’t give me chills like the others.

• Seriously?
      10:28 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

You got chills from a woman singing to a baby?

• Question
      10:36 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

^ Yes because it captured the most iconic thing of Tennessee and that is Rocky Top. Like Alabama and Bear Bryant and Houndstooth, Ole Miss and the Grove, Auburn and rolling the trees, Arkansas and Pig Sooie. When I think of UK, I don’t picture a light show on the court. Now as a UK fan I understand it was from Big Blue Madness which is iconic to UK but non-UK fans are just going to see the light show and not realize it was Big Blue Madness. They could have captured that in a better way that everyone would know and understand.

16. Common Sense
    10:24 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I hope my lakers get Randle…

17. Amanda Lou
    10:25 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Is Drew okay? He sounded weak like he maybe is under the weather.

18. Chaz
    10:27 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

“I got class tomorrow”. JR is just UK student, at least for a little while longer. Great interview.

• KevinM
      10:31 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Bob Knight says you’re lying!

19. Common Sense
    10:27 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Best Julius Randle moment:

Calipari: “Randle, double O’bryant”
    Randle: “FV*K That, Im Guarding him”

20. Chuck
    10:30 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius Randle is a great interview! Good luck to him in the league! Great kid!

21. Common Sense
    10:30 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

The Wizards are beginning to remind me of the early years of OKC.

Took time to develop the young stars, get some experience…but now its starting to come together. Love watching them!

• KevinM
      10:33 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Went to a Hawks/Wizards game earlier this year…..simply put, those Wizard dudes are just very long and have a height/size advantage seemingly everywhere. They are deep in size.

22. huntin chickens
    10:32 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

can KSR interview players that come back?

23. BOOMERUOFK
    10:36 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius Randle is awesome. So glad that guy played here! Great kid and represents himself and UK well! Best of luck to you Julius.

24. Wheels
    10:37 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great Randle interview. I’m going to miss this kid.

25. realme
    10:38 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I could listen to him talk all day.

26. huntin chickens
    10:39 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

This kid is awesome

27. inside info
    10:40 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Did anyone ask Randle about the $1400 shoes and $500 belt he was wearing while he announced his decision? Not the smartest decision.

(No I am not a troll, UL, IU fan or whatever else anyone who doesn’t make a Kool Aid UK statement is accused of)

• Duh
      10:42 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Easy to put stuff on a credit card when you are about to make a quick million

• ?
      10:46 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Also, once he knows he’s giving up his amateur status after the season to declare, is he able to accept gifts from anyone?

• Reddington
      10:47 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I am genuinely interested in this, just because I don’t know the ins-and-outs of getting $1,400 shoes. You can’t learn unless you ask, so I’m asking.

• Kidnut
      10:49 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Sure, because everyone in the world is a turd who likes to do nothing more than make passive aggressive statements to a kid during one his happiest moments.

• Delk for 3
      10:52 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

He can certainly accept a loan from an agent after the season is over.

• Chris
      11:51 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Was he supposed to wear a paper bag?

28. Chaz
    10:47 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius at Hillbilly Days. Culture shock. Just remember they are your fans, it’ll be cool.

29. RUPPS_rhetoric
    10:47 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great interview! Kid has a lot of personality. Going to miss him.

30. Delk for 3
    10:48 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great interview, Matt. You did a great job. So did Julius. He opened up more in this interview than all season long. I really felt we got a good idea of who the young man is. You can tell he’s on top of the world right now.

31. Chaz
    10:49 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Thank you Julius Randle.

32. Delk for 3
    10:50 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Cleanthony Early is an example of how good a JUCO player can be.

• Common Sense
      10:53 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Against UK he looked like Kobe Bryant…

• Delk for 3
      10:55 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

He did have a special game vs. UK, but he had a lot of great games during his time at Wichita St. He will become a GREAT NBA player. I don’t think Randle gives out praise to other players very easily.

33. Jvice
    10:51 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Wonderful interview. Edited by a deaf monkey, but great interview.

34. Bmac
    10:52 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m surprised Julius didn’t mention him cramping up during the Louisville game as his most memorable moment at UK.

35. outRAGEous02
    10:53 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Absolutely the best interview I’ve heard in a long time. I wish Julius the very best, and can’t wait to see what he does at the next level, I’m always proud to be a Wildcat, and today I could never be more proud of such a great young man! Thank you Julius!

36. Delk for 3
    10:53 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I personally don’t think the Bucks take Embid as the No. 1 pick. If I was the Bucks, I’d go with Wiggins and/or Parker.

37. Delaney Hanley
    10:56 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Matt you should have asked Julius if Ky Joe has ever approached him and said do you know who I am. Great interview love him even more.

38. Hollahollaholla
    10:57 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

It’s hilarious how half the show is a Randle interview at a football spring practice. I mean, I’m not complaining because it was great, it’s just telling is all.

39. rahrah
    10:57 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great radio, Matt! Only thing missing was seeing the kid’s smile. Best wishes for a long and prosperous NBA career, Julius! We’ll be watching and cheering. Thanks for the memories. #BBNforever

40. Velvet Milkman
    10:59 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Delk for 3, you cant use and/or in that situation, the Bucks can’t take Wiggins and Parker, but they can OR

• DREWBLUE
      11:03 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Is Velvet Milkman a daughter of one of the Dead Milkmen?

41. Delk for 3
    11:03 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I believe Cleanthony Early to be the sleeper of this year’s draft class. He is projected in the No. 23 to 26 slot, but I find that to be incredibly too high. I can see him being a lottery selection easily. All it will take is some workouts with teams and his stock will increase dramatically. Looking over the picks, they have some guys who are not nearly as good as Early being picked ahead of him. For example, Early is a much better player than Rodney Hood and Kyle Anderson — both projected to be lottery picks.

• LadyCat
      11:07 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Cleanthony will go higher than that, Jabari Parker number #1 pick.

42. LadyCat
    11:04 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Is Dakari supposed to announce his choice today? If so when is it and is there going to be a press conference? What about Alex and the twins, when will they announce?

43. Spring game
    11:07 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Can we please talk about me. I happen in 3 fuggin days and there hasn’t been a pep about me. I am a huge recruiting tool and I need as much publicity as possible to get as much of BBN to me as possible. What’s up Matt?!! Falling out with stoops or something??

44. Delk for 3
    11:08 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I usually do not have much desire to attend a spring game, but I think this year’s game is extremely interesting because of Barker being there. He is one of the more hyped recruits we’ve had coming to UK in a long time and I think there is great interest to watch him play.

• Spring game
      11:16 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

yes D43 agree about Barker, although it sounds like the receiving corp. is banged up so maybe not as many targets, but none the less we would love to have you there and it’s gonna be a beautiful day.

• Chris
      11:54 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Im worried that the QBS have no one to throw the ball to!! All the WRs are out!!

45. Hollahollaholla
    11:09 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Can someone turn matt’s mic down? it’s really hot, or he could just not yell maybe either way, yep, thx so much

46. Shimmy
    11:10 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Good god…Matt, turn your mic down. You sound like the factory speakers in a beat up Pinto blasting way, way too loud.

47. Honky Kong
    11:11 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

We’re here at UK football spring practice….so let’s talk about basketball, and if the twins were seen at Malones.

48. Edd
    11:13 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I struggle to come up with another organization that does more to try to block future success than the NCAA.

49. Sound quality
    11:14 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Matt’s audio sounds so silky smooth today…..how you say….NOT.

50. Braylon Heard
    11:16 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I am going to be in contention for SEC POY

51. Wow
    11:17 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Damn, Stoops just went in on Matt….. Good for him

52. Delk for 3
    11:21 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

First off, I think you do a great job during interviews Matt. Just a suggestion though: when interviewing, don’t be in a hurry to cut people off. You have to give the people some time to keep talking and keep thinking about what they want to say next. I think you miss a lot of good stuff from your interview subjects because you are too quick to ask a new question or cut them off just to say something yourself. For example, I think Stoops was going to have a story about his new assistant coach but you just kind of cut him off mid-sentence.

• Jimmy Fallon
      11:27 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I have cutoff/hurry syndrome too.

• Rixter
      11:36 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I noticed that in the Stoops interview, too. Coach was talking about something, and was transitioning into something else when Matt cut him off with another question.

• Walter White
      11:42 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

In any conversation some people listen to the other person and some people are just trying to think what they are going to say next.

• Chris
      11:56 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Well i think u were too nice!! U said in your post !! He cuts everyone off!! That makes for bad interviews actually!! We hear Matt more then Stoops in the interview!!

53. I SAYY
    11:22 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Matt it is being reported that AJ Legree is transferring!!!

54. Hollahollaholla
    11:24 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Stoops: if he can’t do it, no one can. He means business, dude needs time with this dumpster fire Joker left him.

55. 1st down kentucky
    11:27 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m glad stoops finally said it, we hired neal brown so we could throw the ball all around the field, with whitlow at qb, that was never going to be the offense we could run. Well said coach

• Hollahollaholla
      11:31 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

The fact that Whitlow transferred actually makes me a little interested in this football team.

• Delk for 3
      11:33 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I agree, Hollahollaholla. Stoops is cleaning house and is going to play football the way he wants to play.

• Chris
      11:58 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Id be more excited but the WR position now has me worried!

56. Prediction for Football

Oct. 25 – Mississippi State
    Nov. 1 – at Missouri
    Nov. 8 – Georgia
    Nov. 15 – at Tennessee
    Nov. 22 – open
    Nov. 29 – at Louisville

3 Guarantee W’s (Ohio, ULM, UT Martin)

3 VERY Win-able games – last year all were away games that if we had a QB we win ….South Carolina, Miss St., Vandy

Plus @ Tenn and @ Louisville….

Im tellin ya now, We will be on the verge of going to a bowl this year

57. Blake
    11:32 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

You can tell by Stoops demeanor compared to last year about how much more comfortable he is with the team this year. I think he knows this team has some potential.

58. realme
    11:33 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yay Alex!

59. Mitch
    11:35 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

We used to play Florida in November. Supposedly a compromise was made where UK would get Mississippi State as its constant west opponent in exchange for moving the Florida game to September. Spurrier did not want to risk playing in the cold weather. l believe this occurred in 1992 when the conference expanded because we played Florida in Gainesville in 1991 in November and played them again in September in Gainesville in 1992.

60. rahrah
    11:35 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, Alex is back. Great decision. This is one kid I’d love to see get his degree. 4.something out of high school in the advanced program? Love this announcement!

61. Delk for 3
    11:36 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

If the twins come back, next season will be national championship or bust. Will be a lot of pressure.

• Chris
      11:59 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Will Andrew be the best true point guard on team if he returns?

62. Don't Be Absurd
    11:39 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Well, hopefully they won’t come back, and it will cut down on the pressure and make it easier on the team

• rahrah
      11:50 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Huh? Only one being absurd……

• Chris
      12:00 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I want them back but the hype will get out of control again!

63. YES!
    11:49 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Right on Mike!

64. Edd
    11:49 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Is it unlikely that Barker will redshirt? If so, why?

• Shew
      11:50 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

He’s going to play. It’s pretty clear that at this point that Towles and Barker are the top 2 right now.

• Delk for 3
      11:55 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I believe Barker will be the starter. If he’s already in the mix with only 13 practices under his belt, it seems reasonable to believe he will be the guy.

• Chris
      12:02 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

LOL and my friend Delk never adds Towles to the mix.. I believe Towles is going to be the starter !! Im very excited for Barker but I like Towles arm way better right now!

65. UKJon In Knoxville
    11:49 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Don’t forget, Calipari on Cobert Report tonight

• realme
      11:51 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Colbert should give him bacon.

• Chaz
      12:07 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

If Colbert gives him bacon that would indicate national network folk are paying attention to KSR. Could be a turning point, Why Not?

66. UK Recruit
    11:52 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

This is not UNC. We know the difference between 42,000 and 450,000 people…

67. Rixter
    11:52 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Matt, I hope the Legree transfer is official, Tyler Thompson posted it on this site 30 minutes ago.

68. YES!
    11:53 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Matt you’ve done a horrible job at promoting this spring game. I have no idea who’s coming, parking, game format, cat walk time, all the other ridicioulus odds and ends. You have GOT to be the vocal leader on this… Or change your show solely to basketball.

• Chris
      12:03 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Agreed!

• amirite
      12:33 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

sounds good to me. change it to basketball ! let YES and Chris go listen to chris cross

69. Jeff Schwartz
    2:07 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I was at Malone’s yesterday.

70. Devil Dog
    2:42 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

A picture of a great young man and future millionaire. Congratulations and thanks to Julius