Listen to Drew Barker talk about Matt Elam on KSR

By now, you’ve heard all about Matt Elam postponing his college announcement last Saturday during the Army All-American Game. There’s been a lot of speculation as to why he pushed back his decision, and no one may be closer to and more befuddled by the situation than future UK QB Drew Barker. Barker called in to KSR this morning to chat about enrolling early at UK and give listeners his view on Elam’s recruitment, which you can hear above.

Drew has often spoken about his close friendship with Elam and said that before he made his announcement in May, he gave Elam a heads up that it was going to be Kentucky; when Elam didn’t return the favor this past weekend, he knew something was up. Drew said that he found out the news that Elam was pushing back his announcement like everyone else did–via Twitter–and was unable to talk to Matt about it until after the all-star game because they were on different teams.

When asked, Drew said that he thought Elam was going to pick Kentucky had he not postponed his announcement, and mentioned Elam’s comments about the set-up at the Army All-American Bowl being a turn-off:

“I’m really not sure why he didn’t do it. I know he said the set-up was kind of weird, I think he wanted them to tell NBC or the sports analyst where he was going to go a couple of days before and he didn’t want to, but I’m not really sure. I don’t know, really.”

So, where does Drew think the Cats stand with Elam now?

“I was really confident before this week, but you know, he didn’t decide or whatever, so I guess he really is torn between the two schools and now I know he’s going to take an official to Alabama, so I’m not really sure, honestly. I think he could go either way,” Drew said. “I’m honestly not really sure anymore. I could tell you before this week it was all Kentucky, but I’m not really sure anymore.”

Regardless, Barker is excited about the 2014 class, who he says will hang together, and the staff, who he believes can still pull off a major surprise come Signing Day:

“I think that with our coaching staff, they’re great recruiters and have great history and I definitely think that come Signing Day, we’ll have maybe one or two surprises, you know, maybe flip some commitments from different schools or what have you. Just the way the staff recruits, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to have you know, something big happen down the stretch here.”

Listen to Drew’s entire interview over at TalkRadio1080.com:

LISTEN TO KENTUCKY SPORTS RADIO

36 Comments for Listen to Drew Barker talk about Matt Elam on KSR

1. Shooter
    5:04 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Just look at Elam. He is soft to the core if people can’t see that too bad for us.

• Tony
      5:09 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Agree 100% He is soft and FAT

2. Tony
    5:08 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Let me get a jump on what he should say……Elam is a FAT, OVER RATED HEAD CASE………..That needs to head on down the road !!!

3. Thanks for the crucial information
    5:35 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Another article on Barker and Elam.
    So exciting.
    How about writing an article about Elam and Barker tomorrow.
    This is why every sec laughs at uk.

• Five-O
      7:37 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

They laugh at us for going winless in SEC (which is going to change soon), not for reporting about a recruit who supposedly was going to commit to us 3 days ago. This is good information for people that don’t listen to the radio show (which they really should listen, its great stuff), and is insight from a person who has had a huge influence in his recruiting process. If you don’t want to read it than keep scrolling…

4. Stop with the negative garbage!
    5:35 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Matt Elam – if you read this stuff – let me tell you these posters don’t represent the BBN. They are a loud minority, if UK fans at all. Take your time and try to ignore all this noise the best you can young man.

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:36 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I don’t want to listen to anyone talk about Matt Elam, unless it’s Matt Elam saying “I’m in.”

6. Shooter
    5:40 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Honestly just watch his film and look at his puffed up ass ,he is a big 3rd grader. I have been a Cats fan and season ticket holder my whole life.

• Tony
      5:59 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

100 percent agree….did you guys see the clip of him on here last week? He never hit anyone in 30 mins of highlights, threw a few small running backs to the ground and ran around five steps behind every QB he was trying to sack…. And he is going to tackle SEC quarterbacks ?

• Plainclothes Man
      9:29 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Did you watch the Army game where he manhandled an entirely high level D1 offensive line until they finally decide to DOUBLE TEAM HIM for the rest of the game?! Obviously you didn’t or otherwise you wouldn’t be saying this kind of stuff.

7. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:45 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

To: “Thanks For The Crucial Info” – everyone in the SEC laughs at UK because KSR wrote a story on recruits? What are you talking about?

To: “Stop with the Negative” – Agreed about the negative stuff. Especially 1 and 2. Linemen try to be that big, geniuses. In regard to him taking his time, I agree as well. In terms of us hearing an opinion from everyone else about what school he’s going to, I think we’ve beat that horse to death.

• Sumo
      5:56 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

No, sumo wrestlers try to be that big. They have a small ring to fight in, so they don’t have to be mobile. Elam would be plenty big enough at 325 lbs. and maybe have some stamina and actually be able to make plays outside of a 3 foot area. I really don’t care what Elam does at this point, but if he wants to play at his best level, whatever that is, then drop 50-60 lbs.!! Or have a heart attack at 26 years old.

8. Just sayin'
    5:48 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Shooter — I know you’re smarter than the rest of us, your comments prove it, so why don’t you give Nick Saban a heads up before he makes a huge mistake! Then go back to your hole.

9. Carmine
    5:50 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Yep im a UK Fan and i still want Elam to choose Kentucky!! It would complete a great recruiting class!!

10. stevem
    5:51 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Can we cool it with the Elam bs until he makes his announcement?

11. Tony
    5:55 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Elam just announced,,,,,he is ordering another PIZZA. Lololololol

• UKfan
      8:42 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Tony = tardinal

12. MojoCat
    6:03 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I think Elam is BAMA bound. I think he was all set to commit to UK during that game but Saban talked him out of it. Bama is in a bit of a free fall by Bama standards, and having Elam pick lowly UK over Alabama would have only added to the perception that Bama’s time at the helm of college football is over. So Saban is going all in on this kid IMO.
    Perhaps the worst part of all of this is the players that were about to flip to UK if Elam had announced.

• JayOne
      6:42 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

No one was going to flip, that was message board hype. Why would three Ohio players who have been
      OSU fans all of their lives leave their mama and friends in Cleveland and head South to Kentucky? By going to OSU mama will be at every game with a whole bunch of friends and relatives. If you are from Cleveland and Ohio State really wants you, mama will make sure you go.

13. Shooter
    6:16 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Thanks, Just sayin’ , my genius often goes unnoticed on these message boards. I will be in my hole if you need any insight into future topics.

14. Coach Saban
    6:49 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

MATT WILL ENJOY RIDING THE PINE HERE AT ALABAMA FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS… I WILL PROMISE HIM THE WORLD THEN REDSHIRT HIS ASS AND THEN SIT HIM ON THE BENCH BEHIND THE 10 OUTSTANDING DTs WE ALREADY HAVE IN OUR FARM SYSTEM. HE WILL HELP OUT CONSIDERABLY IN 2017.

Then you have superstar A’SHAWN ROBINSON who will kill your chance to make plays after you redshirt…The recent commitment from Josh Frazier along with O.J. Smith and Johhny Dwight has CERTAINLY filled the Tide’s need for a big man in the middle for this class. None of these dudes will play next year anyway except behind Dakota Ball and the 3 other redshirts from 2013. Bama ain’t where you wanna be if you’re trying to make it to the NFL in 3 years. End of story.

You go to KENTUCKY and BECOME A LEGEND

• Reality
      7:11 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Ride the pine for 3 years and practice every day against the best players in the country. When his time comes, he’s not banged up. He plays 1 year and goes to the NFL in great shape.

You come to Kentucky, you can practice against mediocre players, get your butt kicked up and down the field during games, probably get hurt in the process too. If by the small chance you do get to the NFL, your body will be so beat up your career will be very short.

• Overblown hype machine
      7:19 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Do you realize all the stuff you threw out there about Saban at Bama is the same thing UK sells to basketball recruits? Yes, I know they only have to play one year, but Cal sells them on buying into the team concept, sacrificing individual stats and when the team thrives, then each player will be rewarded. Same thing for Bama football. The reason UK’s 2013 freshman FB class had little impact on the W/L record is there is a huge difference between an 18 year old undeveloped freshman vs. a 22 year old MAN as a Senior.

Elam needs a redshirt to get his weight down and muscle up. He won’t ride the pine for 3 years at Bama, but 2 sure wouldn’t hurt him.

Go to UK and become a legend? Doubt it. How many DT’s are legendary anywhere, and how many from UK? I don’t care what Elam does, but quit sounding so stupid acting like choosing to play for Bama would be a bad thing. Yeah, Shaun Alexander sure failed there and would have been a legend at perennial doormat UK, right?

• UKfan
      8:46 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

And Randall Cobb, Wesley Woodward, and Danny Trevathan all made mistakes by playing at UK? Move along troll.

15. Bobby P
    7:09 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

He is Bama bound! not a big deal… He will sit at Bama and uk will get other DTs. one player doesn’t make our recruiting class! I don’t want them if they ain’t 100%.
    He will absolutely sit 2-3 yrs before getting any playing time at Bama. They will spend one year trying to turn that gut into some type muscle.
    I wish he go uk but if he don’t we just keep going.

16. James
    8:05 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

If this guy goes to Bama he will never see the field. He is fat, lazy has horrible technique. Saban will require him to redshirt and work hard and this guy will wilt. Even if he comes to UK he will need to be redshirted and Stoops will have to spend considerable energy try and get this prima Donna to do what is needed to reach his potential. My guess is this guy will be playing for someone like EKU by 2106.

17. BigBlue
    8:06 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Elam is not a guy we need on this team…he is a loud mouth.
    Let him sit at Alabama

• Five-O
      7:32 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

News flash but most recruits out there are some kind of “loud mouth.” I’m by no means an expert on football but if we get Elam then he can grow both as a player and a person, that’s what happens in college. I don’t know if you know this but he is an 18 year old kid!!! In a year or two once he has hit the weight room and built his body into what the coaches see fit, watch out for him.

18. Dutch
    9:05 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

Had high hopes for signing this young man…..Even had a nick name picked out for him….( Big Daddy Elam)…. I guess that went down the tube…..so hopefully they will know him at Alabama as the big flop! I’m sure they will sign a kid that really wants to be here!

19. YOU KNOW!
    11:00 pm January 7, 2014 Permalink

I love Barker but he said “you know” an unbelievable amount of times. I’m not exaggerating when I say this. He literally said it over 50 times. I stopped counting at 50. Yes I counted because I couldn’t believe how many times he said it in the first minute. take a listen for yourself and be amazed. That’s around 10 “you know’s” a minute. Incredible kid and talks better than i could at that age, but just had to share this oddity.

• UKfan
      8:47 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Drew Barker says “You know you are an idiot” and you know what, I think he was right.

• YOU KNOW!
      4:16 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

incredible comeback. i’m floored and have no response other than to say you are awesome.

• Wilbur
      4:19 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

You actually sat there and counted Barkers “you knows”? Now that’s odd.

20. Aja
    9:27 am January 8, 2014 Permalink

Drew – Concentrate on what you can do to help UK get better. Do not waste another minute worrying about what someone else beyond your control does.

21. Wilbur
    4:10 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

By the time Matt Elam lands at Bama,considering his current progress,he could foreseeable be >400lbs.

22. catsandcanes
    4:24 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

I see several fans have already started the “we don’t want him anyways” response to the possibility of Elam choosing Bama. You’re right though, cause Saban doesn’t really know how to recruit.