Photo @DanDakich

Photo @DanDakich

Photo @DanDakich

If you missed this morning’s radio show, sit down and put your earbuds in, because it was one for the ages.

After hearing the news that Dan Dakich, notorious Kentucky and KSR troll, will call tonight’s game for ESPN with Brad Nessler, Matt decided to call Dakich on air to talk about the game.  You can guess what happened after that.  In what may be one of KSR’s most awkward interviews ever (probably going back to Dakich’s first appearance on the show), Dakich and Matt went back and forth about whether or not it was really Matt calling (it was), why Dakich continues to refer to Matt and company as “the KSR fanboys” on his radio show, their awkward first encounter at Rupp Arena, and of course, the end of the Kentucky/Indiana series, which Dakich promised to ask Cal about today.

Kudos to Dakich for being a sport and staying on the line to do the interview instead of hanging up.  As Fake Barney put it on Twitter, it was probably the smoothest a conversation could go that included the phrase, “I hear you call me a douchebag.”

The interview starts in the middle of the second hour, so head on over:

LISTEN TO KENTUCKY SPORTS RADIO

80 Comments for Listen to Dan Dakich and Matt Jones in what may be KSR’s most awkward interview ever

1. Nuidat1611
    12:47 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Love Matt but Dan is a Knight disciple and will not back down. Was like a Fox News interview.

2. catmando
    12:52 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I want to thank Dakich & Knight for keeping what was once a fierce rivalrly still interesting. In the 70’s it was are most hated rival!!

• Jeff Garlin
      1:27 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

*Our

3. UKBlue
    12:56 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

This was painful to listen to, maybe the most painful of any KSR interview. Dan sounded wasted, the fact he kept repeating the same sayings over & over & over again & kept trying to control the interview lets you know how insecure he is & just how much he does care. Even though it’s funny to laugh at Dan, we should really stop giving him what he wants which is attention. Attention to Dan is like air, he has to have to survive.

4. me
    12:59 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

This was uncalled for, and very unprofessional on Matt’s part.

• wood
      1:06 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Hey,shut up stupid.or is this really Dan?

• Isaac in Louisville
      1:59 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

OP is an Indiana fan ^

5. Adam
    1:03 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Jones guaranteed he was going to turn the sound off tonight on the game. Guess we won’t hear any comments about Dakich’s commentary.

6. AllTimeClassic
    1:04 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

BANGARANG!

This winds up on the AllTimeClassic KSR list!

1.)Dakich #1
    2.)Dakich #2
    3.)WillieCauleySteinMan

7. mjblue2
    1:16 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I’m pretty sure he said he’d have Shannon ask Cal about the series. And that was what she was for. Which is probably true. I think ESPN and CBS like their sideline reporters to be pretty ladies, because they know the coaches are less likely to get hateful with them when they do those required half time, and half way through the half types of interviews. Of course BCG never had a problem with upsetting female reporters.

• Isaac in Louisville
      1:19 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Andy Katz is a beautiful lady.

• ConspiracyGuy
      1:26 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

LOL… Andy’s mom would be so proud!

• piedma schwartz
      1:35 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Shannon is a dude you ignoramous

• huh
      1:43 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

shannon spake is a lady……

8. LA
    1:25 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

dickitch is just pissed because Indiana is not an elite program anymore.

• Dodi Fahyed Indiana
      8:31 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

…………………………….such a long drought too. Preseason #1 last year. ESPN cover. Sure fire NCAA championship. Can’t bring it home. Choke. Choke. Chokers.

9. ConspiracyGuy
    1:25 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I hope Matt is baiting him into spewing more hate on air so ESPN will be forced to sit him down and dust off the script from the meeting they had with Knight when they told him to shut up about Cal and UK.

10. Cayts
    1:29 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

While Dakich is weird at times, he came out on top of that interview. Matt never once had him quoted correctly and failed multiple times at baiting him into saying things. Every time tried to back him down into a corner, Dakich came back with perfectly reasonable explanation.

• huh
      1:51 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Are you sure you listened to the right interview?

• Isaac in Louisville
      1:58 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Indiana fan up there ^

• Reddington
      2:02 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

These types of interviews are not about being right or wrong, winning or losing. They are all about drubbing up emotions and getting people talking. Matt doesn’t really care about setting Dan straight on his facts, and Dan doesn’t care what Matt thinks. All about the ratings. I’m done.

• JDN1016
      2:21 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I am sure the kids at KSR won’t post this but this is the typically childish side of Matt and KSR which makes Kentucky fans look like irrational idiots. Matt frequently has “guests” on the show and portrays them as biased and irrational. Then talks smack about them post interview, reference the Doug Gottlieb interview. Bottom line, Matt Jones is about Matt Jones and KSR. In general I like the format and content of the show/ web site but too often they appeal to the least common denominator of the fan base. They need to grow up but as long as childish pranks like the Dakich interview generate web hits, aka more money all is fair.

• Loosey
      3:00 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

JDN, I totally agree, while I enjoy 90% of the show, there is always that 10% that makes you dislike Matt a little. I remember him saying a lot of people used to hate him, I could see it. It’s okay to not care what people think, but it’s another thing to be rude to people.

• sprtphan
      3:30 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Don’t know who got the upper hand but found this interview to be very uncomfortable to listen too.

11. My wife said...
    1:48 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

“The Kentucky guy was more of a jerk than the Indiana guy.”

• TheNewOriginal
      1:52 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

And your wife would be exactly right. Criticizing someones physical appearance is completely classless.

• Isaac in Louisville
      1:58 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Indiana fans ^

• TheNewOriginal
      2:27 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Hardly an Indiana fan. I asked a belligerent redneck in a Knoxville bar one night to step outside for criticizing UK’s coach. Willing to take or give an @sswhooping for the team, so, don’t say that I’m not a UK fan.

• Beavis
      4:00 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Speaking of physical appearance,,,,check out those chicken legs on Jockitch.

12. Mike
    1:53 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

He shoiuld have hung up.When you call someone unexpectedly and tell them they are on the radio a bit of lost composure is to be expected.Ambush journalism , pretty low form there Matt

• Isaac in Louisville
      1:57 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Indiana fan ^

• Mike
      1:33 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

yeah figured you were Isaac

13. Isaac in Louisville
    1:57 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Indiana fan ^

• Hey guy
      3:27 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Indiana fan ^^^

14. Wedding Planner
    2:07 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Dakich is the worse.. he is a bully and says outrageous things about UK and Kentuckians.. and many people in the national media (like Gary Parrish) think he is an idiot.. but this interview elevated him. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing and unprofessional on KSR’s part

• BNClay
      4:46 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

At any point has KSR ever claimed to be a proffessional organization?

15. raccoon
    2:16 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

This was great. Both Matt and Dan were great I thought. Give Dan props for doing well in this ambush.

I do wonder if KSR is going to get references on ESPN if they do this kinda stuff. Which I appreciate KSR staying true to its “most ridiculous manner” roots.

Never change guys.

16. RealUK
    2:23 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Was this spot supposed to be funny? Matt came across as a high school jerk trying to cause
    a confrontation with Dan who handled everything as best as one could I this situation.

17. Vickie D
    2:25 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I think Dakich definitely got the upper hand and that’s hard to do on Matt. The guy was ambushed and still refused to give in. Kept trying to get points across. As much as I can’t stand Dakich, I think my admiration of him as a guy who can think on his feet just increased ten fold. (Not that Dakich cares what I think of course.)

• raccoon
      2:44 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I agree Dakich did a nice job, but let’s not get carried away and call him some fantastic orator. He mostly just repeated the same things over and over – he doesn’t care, he was right, he just responds.

Matt did not catch when he changed “I was in the meetings” to “I was involved in the discussions” re: Bob Knight and the UK/IU series moving to a neutral court.

18. Dakich Wikipedia
    2:42 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

So I checked out Dakich’s Wikipedia page. Check out the last sentence of the “Television & Radio Career” heading: “Dakich, which rhymes with “jock itch”, loves KSR.”

• AnthonyBBN
      3:21 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

This is true and hilarious.

19. Michael F. Jox
    2:46 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I should of known my comment would be deleted. Here’s a question: Why even put this up and not expect rational people to see through your B.S.? MATT IS A TROLL!!! HE’S BEEN ONE FOR A WHILE! HE ONLY CARES ABOUT MATT!!! it’s true, now take this down, too. Beisner is surely missed. When he ran the site, it was at it’s best. Now we have YOU. Keep copying and pasting basically everything you put on this site related to sports, and keep saying “yes, sir” to Matt.

• rainman
      6:42 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

So Michael, why are you here?
      It’s a simple question, please, answer it!

• Nice grammar
      6:48 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

*should’ve….NOT should of

20. Travis
    2:53 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

seems to me people should read the top of the page. Most ridiculous manner possible doesn’t equate to “professional journalism”. People are really this stupid. its a funny call in show. get a grip.

21. Al/in/Indy
    2:57 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Ambush? Yeah if that’s the way you want to see it, I’ve heard Dakich blast both UK and KSR on his radio show many times saying that Cal was afraid to come back to Bloomington because of how the last game ended. I’m not sure if he had enough input with knight when Dakich said he sat in on meetings to get the game to a home and home series where UK went to Bloomington but had to play the home game in Louisville (instead of Lexington) starting in 1993. If memory serves me correctly he was still an assistant coach under him until he got his head coaching job at Bowling Green in the late 90s. I’m just not sure if he sat in on those meetings or not. For at that time Knight was IU.

22. cristoforouk
    3:01 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

If you are looking for a winner, just stop. Neither one won. Neither of them came off that great. It was just two biased dudes who don’t like each other arguing. Neither of them made any profound statments or proved to be “better” than the other. But it was entertaining.

23. KevinM
    3:04 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Great, now we have to hear how Matt really likes the guy and has befriended him like he did with Dougie Fresh.

24. david lee
    3:30 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Dan’s phone number tones are easy to decipher. Remember the scene in War Games with Matthew Broderick.

25. Rixter
    3:36 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Dan Dakich averaged 3.6 points a game over his college career, he coached a MAC team to a .525 winning percentage, and is very forgettable as a basketball analyst.
    Look up mediocrity in Websters, it’s gotta refer to this guy.

Matt Jones, on the other hand is a living legend in this part of the country…..

• AnthonyBBN
      3:43 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Living legend might go a little to far, Matt seems like a narcissistic attention whore, who says exactly the right things to increase his fan base. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a nice guy in many ways but you have to act the way he does to be successful the way he has been.

• Goonies
      8:43 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I didn’t realize Matt played college ball, coached NCAA basketball, or was a NCAA basketball analyst? Dakitch is more qualified than Matt to talk basketball…c’mon man. Matt is accomplished in many ways and trumps Dakitch in the media category for blogs/radio, etc. I would rather listen to Dakitch talk X and O’s then Matt but I’d rather listen to Matt b/c he’s mean to that moron Ryan Lemond.

26. AnthonyBBN
    3:39 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

This was entertaining in the cringing kind of way. NO winners here at all, Dakich just kept changing the story to make him not sound like a hypocrite and Matt resorted to personal insults. Made for the great type of radio that you have to wonder why you listen.

27. PhilUK18
    3:40 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Why even give Indiana or any of their fans, former coaches or players the time of day? I know you older fans hate IU, and I do too, but since my lifetime UK leads the series 17-6 or something. They’re not a rival, so look at them with the contempt they deserve but let it be. I, for one, am glad that UK has moved on from the series and now only play blue blood programs that are relevant in today’s game instead.

28. SaratogaCatsFan
    3:44 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

That “interview” is the reason I have to defend all of Cats fan in NY. Matt comes across as a spoiled kid,

Dont get me wrong, I am no fan of anyone who bashes Kentucky. But, try to not to perpetuate negative stereotypes about UK fans Matt.

29. Hal
    3:45 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

love how when bobby knight agrees to neutral iu-uk series it’s b/c of money. but, when cal moves it it’s b/c he’s “scared”–which, apparently, calling someone scared isn’t the same as calling someone “chicken”.
    and why would someone walk up and say hello to you if they’re “scared you will hit them”???

30. Prince Albert in a Can
    3:52 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

aaaaand that is why I just stick to reading KSR…..

31. Jay P
    4:16 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

You guys need to leave Dakich alone…he continues to make you like silly! He is right about the first time you spoke. He was dead on with his preview of the game. KY was only a 3-4 point favorite in the game and it was not that much of an upset, being in Bloomington. Tip your cap to him Matt! He has your number!

32. Jwild
    4:29 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I usually love KSR. This was not one of Matt’s better moments. “middle aged bald guy”. Not sure what that had to do with anything and just made Matt look like a jerk.

33. goblue
    4:32 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Kentucky should think twice before letting a juvenile like Matt represent the University of Kentucky basketball program in an official capacity. Cawood would roll over in his grave if he were to here his analysis of basketball.

• Nice grammar
      6:54 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

*hear

34. Todd
    4:47 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Entertaining interview:

3 things

– give Dakich credit for staying on the line
    – the bald, middle aged comment was uncalled for
    – Matt had no clue on the history of the IU-UK series, should have been prepared

35. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    4:58 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Always loved the saying, “Never get in a mud fight with a pig. Not only do you both get dirty, but the pig likes it.”

36. Prince Albert in a Can
    5:08 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

aaaaand that’s why I Only read KSR……

37. Pinkukfan
    5:51 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

That was LOL funny. Great live radio. Wonder what Dakich will pull tonight after this stunt, though.

38. rainman
    6:37 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Didn’t read the previous posts, so this may have already been addressed!

This interview was not the finest hour for KSR! The name calling and arguing
    were immature at best! I enjoy the banter and clashing between two different
    mindsets Matt, but what you did was take it to the schoolyard! Sounded like
    two six year old arguing!
    Anyone who has read my posts on here knows I am a true KSR fan, and BIG
    BLUE diehard, but please refrain from this childish type behavior in the future! PLEASE!

Also, I heard Dakich thinks, LOSERVILLE still sucks!

39. Chip
    6:43 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

A wise man once told me…”if you wrestle wih a pig, you both will get dirty”. I thought the conversation with DD today reflected poorly on both Dan and Matt. Not KSR worthy!

40. BBN64
    8:07 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

I wish Matt would have taken more shots at IU being a lower tier program and focused on our supremacy over them lifetime. He could have suggested that we only pursue elite programs to have annual series with. Another barb could have been that the only time we want to play them is in the NCAA tournament when it matters most and devastates IU the most when we beat them. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

41. Barry Soetoro
    8:24 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

Love the back-and-forth between the two. Maybe Matt has brought it up before with Dick Dakich, but why did he not remind him who UK thumped on the way to the #8?

42. I Like Dykes
    8:30 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

IU has won 1 Big 10 title in 20 years. IU has been to 1 Final Four in the last 20 years. So, why should UK consider IU a high level program?
    Why does Dakich worry about who UK plays, or where they play them? IU fired him, and no one else has wanted him. Dakich is probably working this game because Mike Tirico is calling the Iowa-Michigan St, and he did not want to work with Dakich. Dakich admitted he goes on KSR this morning.

43. frank
    8:33 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

entertaining interview, a few things

– give Dakich credit for staying on the line
    – the bald, old man comment was unnecessary
    – Jones had no clue about the historical context of the IU-UK rivalry and looked silly talking to a guy who was heavily involved in the actual history back in the 80’s and 90’s

44. Basketball Bennie
    8:33 pm January 28, 2014 Permalink

ESPN should not have talk radio host trolls like Dakich calling tv games for them.

45. huge cat fan
    12:14 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

Mat has really changed from the early days of KSR. Used to be a nice guy. I don’t know what has happened. He’s gotten the big head and treats everyone like crap. Poor ole Ryan can’t say anything without getting jumped onto. And this interview brought out the worst in him. It showed that all he cares about is himself and the ratings. Well, if acting like a small child that calls people names is how you expect to get ratings your wrong. Im done with the show. I love UK sports.Thats why I listened. I couldn’t care less about Mat or any of his stupid stories. Kentucky Dept. of fish and wildlife has got to be crazy for letting you do there promos. All you do is make fun of people that hunt and fish. You come off sounding stupid because you know nothing about either one. I guess its back to Joe B and Denny show.

46. John Ramsey
    7:41 am January 29, 2014 Permalink

I am glad to see that so many members of BBN are tired of having a guy who always takes the low road representing them. Matt Jones is not credible or respected..is that really YOUR GUY?