Linnae Harper transferring out of UK (UPDATED)

Haper1

One of Matthew Mitchell’s best players is transferring away from the women’s basketball program, UK announced today.

Linnae Harper, a 2013 McDonald’s All-American and an SEC All-Defensive Team selection last season, will transfer elsewhere. She was one of UK Hoops’ leading returners entering the upcoming season.

As a sophomore in 2014-15, Harper led Kentucky in rebounding and ranked seventh in the conference. She was the only player in the nation 5’8” or under to average more than seven rebounds per game, also becoming the shortest player to lead UK in rebounding in school history.

The Chicago native moved into a starting role midway through the season and finished the year with 17 starts in 34 games played. She was projected to start this season.

Tough hit to UK Hoops.

UPDATE

Linnae posted this note to Twitter at 6:20.

Embedded image permalink

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Linnae Harper transferring out of UK (UPDATED)

1. BAdams
    6:08 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Highest rated recruit the program has ever had. I wonder what happened.

2. Irwin R. Fletcher
    6:11 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Wha??? Answers, Franklin. Go get ’em.

3. Dude
    6:16 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Seems to be a lot of trouble with our women’s team.

If people cared as much as men’s team, this would make front page headlines.

I hope she finds happiness.

4. Joe D.
    6:24 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Losing two quality players before the schedule begins is tough. Timing suggests something sudden or serious precipitated this decision. Wish Linnae the best.
    She was poised to have a great year here.

5. Stuck on Blue
    6:32 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Really sorry to hear that. Great player, wish her the best wherever she end up at.

6. Stuck on Blue
    6:33 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

*ends

7. Siesta Key Cat
    6:59 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

The first day I care about women’s basketball will indeed be the first.

8. Pillsboy
    6:59 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Someone mentioned two players who is the other? Is this simply being home sick?

• UK HOOPS WHATS GOING ON?
      8:23 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Chrishae Rowe a transfer from University of Oregon was dismissed from the team about 10 days ago. Never played a game

9. L
    7:37 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

What the heck is going on Coach Mitchell?

10. Kats9698
    7:55 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

According to her farewell letter Uk was a great fit for her, it is very strange. Cutler needs to chase her down and get the true story here.

11. Priceless
    8:59 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

See ya…no player is bigger than a program. The team was here many years before her and will be here many more years after today. If you don’t want to be part of BBN don’t let the door hit ya you know where. I don’t wish her luck else where, I wish our players the best of luck not other teams players.

• Priceless
      10:20 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Never said I did not respect her, I did when she was at UK. I don’t wish any bad things for her but I don’t wish other teams players good luck and she is soon another teams player. That would also apply to the mens team as well as other sports. I do not wish Maxwell or Jalen luck in football anymore. I root for UK and did root like heck for Linnae when she was here. Don’t know why she is leaving and did not speculate as to that reason. Her choice for whatever reason and BBN moves on, next.

12. Sandy Thompson
    9:26 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Probably, failed pee test. Mitchell has a zero tolerance for drugs…..probably smokin’ the reefer.

13. UK Hoops
    9:51 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

#12 & #13 should be ashamed of yourselves. As someone very close to the program I can guarantee you that Linnae was never anything less than a model representative for our university including doing so at the Pan Am games this summer. I also can 100% assure you drugs or any other illegal activity was her reason for transferring. She has her reasons, you should respect those and her, if for no other reason than the fact that she is a young woman.

• UK Hoops
      9:51 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

*11 & 12

14. Thetruth
    3:18 am October 27, 2015 Permalink

13 thx for assuring us that drugs was the reason

• Derp, much?
      5:01 am October 27, 2015 Permalink

durp duuuurp duuurp?

15. Roofus Howls
    7:47 am October 27, 2015 Permalink

sign….

Apart – to be taken away from. A part – to be included in.

I was a part of UK – means that I attended UK. I was apart from my wife – means that we were separated.

You’re in college. Act like you’ve attended an English class.

16. Hershey102
    1:16 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

The answer as to ‘why’ may be in where she lands. What role did playing on the big stage in the Pan
    Am Games perhaps play . . . I remain unconvinced that our over-reliance on scoring on defensive turnovers and the toll such a frenetic pace takes on players can produce tournament success. Final Fours. It certainly is fun to watch and racks up season wins but the really good teams are not bothered by it come tournament time.

17. Hoopster
    4:11 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Rowe was probably dismissed for breaking team rules, as she was from Oregon. Harper probably has a broken heart and can’t play on the same team as her ex-g/f.