LINK OF THE DAY: Rex Chapman’s op-ed about race in America

All week, athletes, celebrities, and community leaders have added to the dialogue about racial injustice in America. Yesterday, one of the Big Blue Nation’s finest chipped in his two cents. Former Kentucky star and current UK Sports Network commentator Rex Chapman wrote an op-ed for the Herald-Leader about his own experiences with racism, specifically how his friends, past girlfriends, and former teammates of color were treated differently than him by police. It’s well worth a few minutes of your time this morning. Here’s an excerpt:

I went to parties in the suburbs “country” where I grew up as a teenager in a town of about 50,000 people. I also went to those same parties in the projects. Because I came up in both places. And in both locations, underage kids were drinking, smoking weed, basically just behaving like teenagers. But I’ll give it to you straight: When the cops pull up to a bonfire out in the country, the kids don’t move a muscle. Because they all know nobody is going to jail. When your parents likely know the sheriff, the prosecutor or the judge, your mom and dad get called. You get in “trouble” at home. On the other hand, when cops pull up to a party in the projects, people run and scatter because they know they’re going to jail. They know they’re getting fined, beat-up, or even shot. I saw that difference first hand.

Since I was a teenager, I’ve been pulled over riding to practices, games, planes, etc. with black teammates driving too many times to count. And let me just say without being too descriptive — it’s a way different experience than being pulled over in a car full of white people. You might even call it terrifying. I don’t have to give my kids special instructions for when they’re pulled over. Because they’re white. My black friends all have to drill their kids on what to do and say when pulled over. Why is that?

Chapman also weighs in on the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and David McAtee, and responds to fellow former Cat Dwane Casey’s essay on racism from over the weekend. To read more, head on over to the Herald-Leader.

[Rex Chapman on race in America]

26 Comments for LINK OF THE DAY: Rex Chapman’s op-ed about race in America

1. 13th. Grade
    10:42 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I watched “13th.” last night on Netflix. It describes how white leadership has purposely rigged laws since the end of the Civil War to negatively impact people of color. To say it was eye-opening would be a major understatement. Watch it and you’ll understand why there is so much anger today.

2. Gazza
    10:51 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

So are these just White Cops or all Cops. I agree with the issues of police dealing with people. How do we make it better? It’s a 2 way street. 85-130 Officers were killed last year. They want to get home to their family each day and I can see their fear too.

• macattack
      10:59 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Honest thought here, not trying to be snarky. But maybe officers wouldn’t have to be so scared for their lives if a large portion of the populace didn’t fear them and their power. I think that most police are good. But there’s a brotherhood mentality that has been abused by a lot of police leadership to make it seem like its an “us vs them” situation. My grandfather was a policeman in Lexington for almost thirty years, from the mid 60s -90s. He talked all the time about how they set up initiatives to go into these poor and majority black neighborhoods and set up sports leagues for the kids, and gave them presents on Christmas, etc. Theres a large segment of the populace who have lost their faith in the police. The majority of the good cops need to stand up to their brothers who don’t act correctly. Accountability within police forces will go a long way to healing. It wont fix it, but it will help.

• Corder
      12:02 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

You just said cops should do more to change the view of them but yet say your grandfather did those things and yet still people hate them. A true 2 way street would be the other side appreciate what these cops do for the communities and how they are trying to clean things up but are criticized for doing so. People grow up hating the police in some neighbor hoods because of their families telling them from the time they are able to understand that police are bad don’t respect them don’t talk to them all kinds of things. Also not snitching on a killer in those neighbor hoods because you don’t want to be labeled as a rat. Fine but don’t expect your neighbor hood to get cleaned up if you’re not willing to help out the problem either.

3. Ben27
    11:00 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I think we all agree there is a problem that needs to be corrected. How we go about changing things is up to debate! You give an interesting perspective from a teenagers point of view, but how about from a police officer’s view? Is a policeman more likely to get injured in the country or the projects? If we get rid of all policeman and live by mob rule, will that solve our problems? It is not right to loot, burn and destroy under any circumstances. You cannot demand equality under the law by destroying the law! We must not let this continue or risk anarchy. Politicians need to quit fighting among themselves and sit down with all parties to work out a solution. In the last two weeks, more police officers have died than unarmed blacks. Too many special interest groups use racism to further their agenda. Some blacks have become rich off racism with no intention of solving the problem. Change can only come through peaceful resolution. Unfortunately neither political party wants change, the only want to win at any cost.

4. CombatMedic_98
    11:12 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

There is a HUGE problem in America and the World…and it’s a heart issue…and all these people we see on TV and a man pressing his knee onto another human and literally murdering him with zero regard for someone’s life as OTHERS looked on and did NOTHING…that’s EVIL. Jesus needs to return and finish this. Separate the wheat from the chaff and takes these governments upon HIS shoulders and get this over with…all these people are lost and have no hope…but only thru Jesus is there peace

• Mr.Incognito
      11:32 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I think waiting on the rapture isn’t going to solve much. We might want to try coming up with a plan. JMO

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      11:53 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Yes, my son. U rang?

• satcheluk
      10:59 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

If there was a god then none of this would be happening.

5. kacat2
    11:58 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Yea nothing like a being lectured by a liberal former professional athlete who translates his “white privilege” to every tithes white person. Because no poor white kid from Hazard has ever been harassed by police or never had a loaded gun put to their head.

The overwhelming number of violent crimes against blacks are committed by blacks. The majority of violent crimes committed against White people are by blacks. Maybe police wouldn’t be as suspicious or as cautious if There weren’t so many armed blacks who are willing to kill anyone for no reason.

Let’s see when the blacks protest in mass over the Black 5 year old girl who was killed by Blacks in a drive by shooting. BLM protesting or demanding the killers be brought to justice? No nothing but crickets. ONLY when an unarmed black is killed By a rouge cop does BLM preach about how racist the country is. Demonstrate that all black lives matter to black people before you bitch to me about how racist all White people are and how white privileged we all are.

• Corder
      12:08 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. Clean your own neighbor hoods up and take some pride in your neighborhood. All I see is people complaining and destroying their own towns but not once have I heard somebody with a legitimate plan to fix all of what they think is wrong. You’re exactly right as well with the 5 year old girl getting caught in a drive by yet not one person comes forward besides the family of said girl. Why is that not a horrible thing that deserves to be talked about? Why are people so Quick to turn the cheek when that happens all the time in their neighborhoods? Don’t tell everybody else what they should do to make things better and then sit back and destroy your own town because you didn’t get what you wanted. Clean your neighborhoods up and start holding your people accountable for destroying what is your home.

• LayTheOdds
      10:29 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

So true! Never any outrage by the liberal virtue signaling clowns for the non-stop killing of blacks in Chicago by black thugs. Black lives only seem to matter when they can be exploited for political or race-baiting reasons. No discussion of fatherless homes where black kids grow up without any discipline or morals.

• TPACAT
      3:01 am June 4, 2020 Permalink

Let the cops pull out of black neighborhoods altogether and see how quick the “popo” are begged to do something about all the murder and mayhem…

6. kacat2
    12:32 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Rex Chapman got his college education paid for by playing BB and being worshiped by the BBN masses. I paid for mine by having to complete 2 combat tours in Iraq. So tell me that my experience is the exact same as Rex’s and how much privilege I have simply by having less pigmentation in my skin. How many in the police force are vets? Any consideration to how much stress they are under or what they might be suffering? How much do we pay these white privileged officers to put their lives on the line to try and protect people.

Not a single time has this damn liberal website ever noted the needless killing of an officer in the line of duty. No instead it’s all about how racist the whole nation is and how much “white” people have to change.

• TPACAT
      3:05 am June 4, 2020 Permalink

Thank you for your service, kakat2. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; I never owned a slave, have ABSOLUTELY NO WHITE GUILT, and earned whatever “privilege” I have…

7. bigblue98
    12:35 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

I would like to see the education level of the police officers who are involved when issues rise up. Before I get blasted, I know that there are a few bad cops and bad citizens that cause these problems. My theory may be off base, but I wonder with stronger educational requirements (which would entail better pay) would some of these bad cops be eliminated. Require a college degree and some type of people related curriculum to become an officer. That would at least ensure that the officers coming out into the force new have hr training. That doesn’t totally solve the problem, but being an officer should require a degree and some type of training more than just the training they receive at an academy.

8. Looother
    2:38 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

What Corder and kacat2 said…

9. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    6:03 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Smh boy many of y’all are racist POS trying to be subliminal. Can’t even stay on subject, but want to talk about education. Anybody with ethical and humanity sense with functional sight can see what happened to George Floyd and countless others was evil, and pure hate bc of the victims being black. But I’m not going to waste anymore time with y’all waste of human life, Rex I agree 100% with everything you said and good to hear a white person actually see a sample of what black ppl in America experience till this day. If you don’t believe what’s going on against black ppl for years against police brutality and injustice in the system bc of the color of their skin, kill yourself

• bigblue98
      9:38 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Hope you feel good telling people to kill themself. If you don’t like my idea of education I don’t really care. I’m talking about things that will bring resolution to issues. For anyone who’s been to college, there is no better place to have a coming together of diverse backgrounds and have open discussion. Again, don’t care what you think. I try to solve problems. Have a good evening.

• LayTheOdds
      10:39 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

RIP George Floyd, we all deplore what happened to him. However, it is a rare event. Ten unarmed blacks were killed by police in 2019…eight of them were justified, two were not and the police were prosecuted. Nineteen unarmed whites were killed by police in 2019. However 7000 blacks were murdered by other blacks….no one talks about that because it doesn’t fit the liberal BS narrative. Facts are a stubborn thing. Educate yourself before just spouting BS.

• bigblue98
      11:22 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

While the black on black death is terrible, that is not what the protest is about, as those are not police officers. The breakdown in race per last years stats are 76% white, 14% black. Taking these factual numbers into account, if everything were equal, there should be around 90-100 whites killed by police for the same percentage equivalent of black people. Facts truly are stubborn as you said. Glad I didn’t get my education from the same place as you.

10. LayTheOdds
    10:47 pm June 3, 2020 Permalink

Rex Chapman is a race-baiting clown.

11. LayTheOdds
    1:33 am June 4, 2020 Permalink

bigblue98 you are an ass clown. You sound like a libtard democRAT virtue signaling POS. You’re not worried about the 7000 black lives lost, you’d rather just make excuses and apologize for your own pathetic existence. You’re what’s wrong with this country. You’d probably join right in with the looting and rioting (protesting ha ha) if you weren’t in your mommy’s basement sucking your thumb. You don’t have the stones to be a cop or soldier…”make them all have a college degree”…what a complete little fool you are.

• bigblue98
      1:55 am June 4, 2020 Permalink

LayTheOdds – you Trump lovin POS. I said it was terrible – you’re just like your fearless leader. You got your facts wrong, thrown back in your face, and now want to resort to name calling. Well F off. Just because someone doesn’t agree with you. Little shits like you are the reason problems exist because you have no answers. You just want to bitch and complain.

12. TPACAT
    3:09 am June 4, 2020 Permalink

Shut up and dribble, Rex…

13. LayTheOdds
    8:49 am June 4, 2020 Permalink

littleblue98 Confirmed you are a libtard POS with no answers. How are those DemocRat cities doing? Of course, they are a mess like you, you little p*ssy. My facts were right, go to the Washington Post who keeps the statistics. You should love that rag because they’re liberal clowns like you. I’m sure you agree with abortion baby killing which disproportionately affects blacks but again you REALLY don’t care about that you virtue signaling COWARD. You’d cry like a little girl if you had to say it to my face.