Lexington’s Save-A-Lot chicken has been saved

Great news, Lexington residents: the Save-A-Lot fried chicken has been saved!

According to the Herald-Leader, Critchfield Meats is taking over the space on Southland Drive, including the famous fried chicken recipe and fryers. Critchfields will be moving from its current location in the Zandale Shopping Center off Nicholasville Road to the Southland spot in January. Renovations are currently underway, and the 21,000 square foot space will include a market, cafe, and indoor and outdoor seating areas. It will be called Critchfields Meats Family Market.

As someone who grew up going to Critchfields with my mom, I can assure you the Save-A-Lot chicken recipe is in safe hands. Phew.

[Herald-Leader]

8 Comments for Lexington’s Save-A-Lot chicken has been saved

1. Condo1122
    2:39 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Nice, that’s a definite go-to for tailgating. If tailgating ever happens again, anyway.

2. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    4:13 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

And we officially have our bright spot of 2020.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    4:33 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Good for you guys in Lexington!

Question though: can someone tell me what’s so special about this chicken? We all know the Colonel has the great secret recipe and Popeye’s has GREAT spicy chicken with the cajun sides. What’s different about this, or is it just a good basic southern fried chicken?

• Condo1122
      4:37 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Just basic fried chicken. Hard to describe, really. It’s just one of those things you taste and say “wow, that’s good stuff.”

4. UKCatAttack
    6:00 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

That used to be the location of Slones Grocery which was basically a local version of Whole Foods. That fried chicken and deli carried over from Slones to Save A Lot. It always seemed like an odd thing to have inside a Save A Lot.

• UKCatAttack
      6:02 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

I used to work near Critchfields in Zandale and I loved their Friday afternoon cookout. Best ribeye steak sandwich around. This arrangement could be a great mixture.

5. J. Did
    8:49 pm August 12, 2020 Permalink

Never heard of it. Could be because I’ve not lived there in years. Must be like Charlie’s Fresh Seafood on Winchester Rd.