Lexington attorney wants UK games off “conservative” radio stations

Richard F. Dawahare wants University of Kentucky games pulled from WLAP, the home of all things Wildcats and KSR’s radio shows (morning, pregame and postgame) in Lexington.

Dawahare, an attorney, writes, “It is no secret that these stations are exclusive provinces of conservative ideology. They spew propaganda with a breathtaking lack of regard for truth and with a pervasive tone of contempt and ridicule for those with a different perspective.”

Dawahare missed one important fact here: Matt Jones isn’t spewing conservative ideology, and I’m not sure anyone is on WLAP more than Matt Jones during basketball and football seasons. Not to mention, Ryan Lemond, who may be second to Matt in hours logged on WLAP’s airwaves, would rather take another rabid dog bite than talk politics.

But Dawahare insists the games must be removed from our favorite Lexington radio station. He wants them pulled from WHAS in Louisville, too.

We cannot continue to allow our beloved Cats and Cards to be part of any entity that perpetuates this culture,” he wrote in the Herald-Leader. “When enough of us insist that we use our schools to further their foundational ideals – the pursuit of truth and the betterment of our world – change will come.”

It appears Dawahare adopted our “Facts are optional” mantra here.

[Get our college games off hate-filled radio networks]

Article written by Drew Franklin

155 Comments for Lexington attorney wants UK games off “conservative” radio stations

1. Kyblue34
    1:11 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Who gives a damn what this idiot wants?

• Realty Bites
      3:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Because he knows the Republican party is the party of FASCISTS, and the blowhards who spew this venom and lies all day should not be associated our university broadcasts.

Definition of Fascism:
      An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Sounds EXACTLY like the Republican party.

• ClutchCargo
      3:58 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Another definition of fascism (Merriam-Webster online): a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Hmm, that one sounds a lot like the Democrat party.

• The Truth
      4:25 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

The fact is…both parties are shills for big business.
      The 1% wants the masses to fight over social issues like gay marriage, abortion, flag waving, and free cell phones while they simply rake us all over the coals.
      All politicians are pawns.
      The middle class will continue to be squeezed, while the fat cats keep stirring the pot.
      Six media companies control over 90% of everything we see and hear.
      Clear channel (now iHeartRadio) owns over 1200 radio stations…nearly ALL Fox News affiliates.
      Only further consolidation will continue until all media is owned by a few big multinational corporations that truly do not give a crap about you and I.

• Eyebleedblue
      4:56 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

The Demcrat party is the part of control. They’re Donald Sutherland in the Hunger Games. Also, they’re the party of racism. Here is a video for you. Look it up…

• Dee W.
      7:55 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Of course, “Reality Bites”, the exact opposite is true. The Republican Party isn’t doing much in the way of being even remotely aggressive, let alone trying to silence opposition. The same cannot be said for some liberals, however, who shout “hate!” “bigotry!”, etc. for merely disagreeing with them on any given issue to try to smear and silence the opposition vs. providing a rational, intellectual argument as a counterpoint.

2. Echo1
    1:12 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

What a moron full of self importance. Narcissistic much, Dawahare? No one gives two crops what this idiot thinks, especially after calling BOTH UK and UL Beloved. The idiot just wants attention. Go chase an ambulance, llittle man.

• Leuther
      10:27 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Eff Doghare and his irresponsible, dishonest, incompetent, corrupt, intolerant, greedy, racist, hypocritical Democrat buddies…

3. Jason
    1:14 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I agree and was banned from the board once after saying it.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:27 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Rightly so. Signed, NOT a conservative.

4. RUPPS_rhetoric
    1:15 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Good night. The stupidity of human-kind never ceases to amaze me. Tell Mr. Dawahare that if he wants to start his own radio station and then outbid Clear Channel for the rights to broadcast the games then by all means go ahead. I really hate people sometimes; and not just him in particular; PEOPLE in particular. Why do PEOPLE have to upset about sh%t at ALL TIMES. Can’t PEOPLE just be happy with the lives that they live???

• Bluetothebone
      2:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

RUPPS…surely you understand Mr. D and his ilk…think ONY Socialist, anti-capitalist points of view should be allowed on the airwaves…wake up AMERICA!!!..they don’t want to debate and let people decide they want only indoctrinated government-sponsored speech to be allowed

• Bill
      2:40 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yo @bluetothebone I’m just going to assume that by “government-sponsored speech” you mean speech that is approved by the Congress that your own party incidentally controls. The “government” is just as much Republican as it is Democratic (probably leans right actually because of the 5 conservatives on the Supreme Court) so can we please not use “Government” to mean “Liberal”?

k thx

5. Jason
    1:22 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Also, why would a sports program host any kind of political debate?

• Mixxy
      1:45 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

To drive up sit traffic and to get you and me to post about it. The only KSR discussions that ever get to triple digit posts are political ones and when we get a major recruit.

6. Steve Hayes
    1:22 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Typical BS from a lib who doesn’t respect the opinions of others and thinks free speech only applies to those who agree with him (the liberal left).

• DT in DC
      2:25 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Preach!

• BMT in VA
      2:40 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Amen to that!!!

7. Sgt. Stadenko
    1:23 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

How about a tall glass of STFU for Mr. Dawahare……he needs to go back to selling clothes…..oh wait a minute. Now our college sports radio has become politicized…..what’s next, breakfast cereal?

8. Plain Truth
    1:25 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yes, Richard your wish is my command, please give me more update’s on what I should be listing to or doing. As with most listener’s, none of my radio’s come with an on/off switch or a way to change the stations.

9. Echo1
    1:26 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Jason… Just Hush. The more you say, the dumber you look. Just some friendly advice. You know, because I care.

10. Chicago
    1:27 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure that guy just described the hyper liberals of America. Where no one is allowed to believe anything if it doesn’t sit on the far edge of the left.

11. CATandMONKEY
    1:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

When was the last time Richard was relevant? 2004? I might be generous in my estimation.

12. UKfaninLou
    1:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Is this guy the attorney T Jurich hires to get his people out of rape, etc. charges on a regular basis?

13. Dustin
    1:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Should he be tolerant of other views. That’s what liberal preach until it’s not their views….

14. jman3715
    1:32 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

What an idiot. Liberal or conservative, both voices need to be heard and often both contribute to what makes this country great by maintaining a balance so we don’t swing too far one way or the other. Time for Mr. Fancy Pants to sit down and chill out.

• CPACAT
      1:47 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

“Mr. Fancy Pants…Dawahare” I see what you did there….

15. DavidPat
    1:34 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Wow, he just made Russ’s day!

16. He's got a good point
    1:35 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I get physically sick from the hatred spewed by Rush and his minions, so UK is the only time I listen to WHAS other than a little Meiners or traffic.

• Mixxy
      1:40 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

The only “hate” I see is from liberal fascist attorney who wants to restrict what people are free to listen to because he wants the power to control what they hear.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:42 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I listen to sports and occasionally some local news and weather. I am adept enough with my fingers to change the station when Rush or other drivel comes on.

Dear lord, are most of us, not adults who can discern the difference between sports and politics?
      Richard has gained more attention from this statement than from any actual “work” he has engaged in during the past 15 years.

• Bill
      2:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

@Mixxy Dude fascists are extreme conservatives so I guess by “liberal fascists” you mean moderates?

Idiot.

• Bluemanchew
      2:45 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Why not have #1 local show (ksr)
      And #1 national show (rush)
      Sounds like good station to me. Why do people act like companies aren’t allowed to make money?

17. CATandMONKEY
    1:37 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Or, Richard could exercise his freedom to NOT listen to those stations. Tolerance, at its finest.

18. asdf
    1:39 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

This idiot is exhibit 1A for the proven fact that stupidity comes in all political orientations…

19. dick dawahare
    1:40 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

He has a website. RichardDawahare.com And……..go!

20. Mixxy
    1:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I miss the old days when the Dawahare family just sold pants…

21. Willie
    1:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Good lord. We’ve got ISIS running around cutting peoples’ heads off, Subway Jared diddling little kids, and China’s economy about to fall off a cliff, but this fool is concerned about what AM radio station a regional radio show airs on. Come on man. Hopefully this article costs him all kinds of business

• Mixxy
      1:43 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Good observation. Why doesn’t he go pick on Bill Cosby for a while?

22. dick dawahare
    1:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

He’s also on twitter

23. dammit drew
    1:43 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Drewwwwwww… Why you gotta post politicky stuff? Especially the kind that triggers a paranoid conservative’s paranoia because of some “attack” on the freedom of conservative “thought”? I generally enjoy being able to like the BBN, but this makes me want to switch over to Duke Sports Radio for a less …politically unique fan base.

Sincerely,

A left wing lib commie fascist

• BBN Says
      2:14 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I typically could care less about others’ “politicky” ideas… But when morons like Dawahare take the time write an article that bashes a station that I hold dear… ridiculous!!! I for one am grateful that Drew and KSR took the time bring us this information! Thank you Drew! If I ever need legal advice for “Estate Planning, Wills, Powers of Attorney, Living Wills, Elder Care, and Family Law specialist”; I will most certainly never go to this moron (Richard F. Dawahare ).

24. CPACAT
    1:45 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

In the same vein, UK access should also be pulled from those liberal bastions of froth, the Lexington Herald Leader and the Louisville Courier Journal.

• ClutchCargo
      2:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I second that motion! My eyes started rolling involuntarily when I saw the part about the Herald Misleader in the story.

25. Rainbow kitty
    1:47 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

26. eric
    1:48 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Drew, From reading your post you don’t seem to find fault with the fact that Mr. Dumbhare wants to silence conservatives but, just the fact that he is wrong to include Matt as a conservative. So do you also believe conservative thought is hate thought?

• Mixxy
      1:51 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

To be fair, that aspect of Dawahare’s whole argument does illustrate how poorly thought-out his diatribe actually was. You would think that an attorney would think out their positions before ranting.

• Realty Bites
      3:44 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Who said they want to silence your Rushbo’s hate-speech. He only wants UK broadcasts pulled from this right-wing fascist leaning media outlet. Conservatives love to twist things to satisfy their butt-hurt.

• Dee W.
      8:14 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

“Reality Bites” – your intellectualism is breathtaking in doing precisely what you claim to be against.

27. cracka
    1:51 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

it could just be me, but I completely lose interest in anything where they use the terms conservative, liberal, left, right, democrat, republican … those 6 people literally just want to get paid to sit around and argue about absolutely everything and never do anything … they think they’re different, but they’re all the same person to me

• CATandMONKEY
      2:09 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

We have a winner!
      Two sides of the same coin. Why is it so difficult to see this?
      Thank you Cracka for pounting out what SHOULD be obvious, yet remains lost on the majority of the population.

28. mapcatfan
    2:02 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Talk about intolerance!
    Hypocritical much, Mr. Dawahare??

29. DevilsAdvocate
    2:06 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

To be fair, Dawahare is right that there is a lot of conservative propaganda spewed out at other times during the day on that station. Thus, he is not saying “KSR spews conservative propaganda,” but instead, “Let’s get UK stuff off of this otherwise conservative radio station.” This is why Drew’s post was a bit imprudent.

We get it… Neither Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, nor Drew Franklin is “Spewing conservative ideology.” Frankly, none of the UK related shows do. However, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Shaun Hannity all certainly do.

As such, I believe Mr. Dawahare is saying pull the UK stuff from this station, so we don’t coincidentally further the conservative message pushed out at other times of the day on that station. He didn’t say, “Make KSR a subsection of Mother Jones or Salon!” Moreover, he didn’t say “KSR pushes a conservative bias.”

He is likely under the impression that KSR could be picked up by a more neutral radio station in town, which I doubt any of us know the actual plausibility of. Thus, put your pitchforks down, and just take a chill pill. No one is calling for our precious KSR’s head, just asking that a Commonwealth-funded University assist in furthering a station which predominantly airs conservative radio.

I realize this reply was likely the biggest waste of time I will have all week, but I thought it was necessary to try and calm you down, before you blame this on Obama, a la Chester. Don’t let your Kentucky fandom instincts get the best of you. Just think it through.

– UK Grad

• Stevem
      2:12 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

UK Grad–Thank you for your enlightened reason and calming interpretation. You make me feel so much better

• KyKid
      2:13 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

See this is the problem in our country. Heaven forbid anyone have a choice and use their own thinking. Someone should do it for them, right? Guess what, I could care less what a radio station plays when it is not playing UK games. it could be a communist polka telemarketing channel for all I care. I can *gasp* choose to turn the dial.

• Chessplayer1974
      2:30 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Amen KyKid. In Louisville WHAS is the best possible station for UK…..and UK knows it.

• DevilsAdvocate
      2:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Again, I don’t think you fully comprehend the underlying argument. UK is a state-funded school. UK brings in a ton of money. That money will then go to the radio station. The radio station (which is conservative in nature) then uses that money to promote their conservative message with Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. Thus, through a direct chain, UK is furthering the conservative message these stations put out through the tax-payers dollar.

That being said, it is no wonder why a liberal might have a problem with that, as a portion of his very own state taxes are going directly to UK and as a result, this radio station. There is no doubt Dawahare’s argument is flawed, but most people in this thread have not actually read the constitution thoroughly enough to understand what his intended argument boils down to. I would assume one of those people is Drew Franklin, or he would have put a little more thought into his post before writing it.

The very fact many people reacted this way furthers the point that they are incapable of using “their own thinking” (???). Instead they just read the message from the KSR gods, grab their pitchfork and run to defend their beloved cats. His argument has little to do with liberal vs. conservative, but more to do with the U.S. Constitution, and if you read it, you would understand this. Dawahare just does a bad job of arguing his opinion (even though he’s a lawyer).

• Bluetothebone
      2:46 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Hey DA… How about we put this up to a democratic vote… Or do you and mr. D not believe in that anymore… There are many of those out there like myself who happen to like this kind of show and I’m sure that we are in the majority and I’m guessing that’s why you would not want to put it up for a vote…

• CATandMONKEY
      3:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

The vote as to which stations are popular is strictly market based. Air America is not popular, anywhere. NPR is quite popular in many markets…and is the most popular “liberal ” radio outlet available.

Despite my disdain for Barrister Dawahare, NPR receives about 80% of my radio – listening time. The remainder goes to KSR and other sports shows.

Devil, there is no place in the Constitution that states that liberal and conservative view points deserve equal air time, which seems to be what you imply. Please note above, where I spend the majority of my listening time….Oh, and I am a contributing member of two different NPR affiliates, yet have zero problem with UK games being aired on “conservative “stations.

• KyKid
      3:18 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

DA, So who would you suggest make the determination as to what stations might be appropriate for a state-funded University activity? How about high school games for public schools? Where does it end and who becomes the czar? I would think any station that has any talk radio programs at all would have to be excluded because they might carry something that promotes a different ideology than this czar. What a slippery slope….

• DevilsAdvocate
      3:25 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

BttB, like it all you want, and I’m glad you do and that you have that option. However, the University of Kentucky should not support it anymore than it does, oh, say NPR (I don’t know what the liberal stations are in Lexington/Louisville). So, I am not saying move the games to NPR too, just that they would likely be better placed on a sports only-type station (like they are in many other larger markets). An otherwise conservative OR liberal talk radio station is not the place for a state university’s games…

C&M, obviously there is no such provision within the Constitution. However, with UK being a public university that has chosen a predominantly conservative radio station to essentially fund, I see there being an issue. If I were a democrat in Kentucky (I’m not), I likely wouldn’t want my tax dollars going to support a conservative message, which is what happens when UK supports that station.

I would have to see the revenue each program brings in for the stateion, but would be willing to bet the UK-related portion makes up a good portion of it. So while that does not mean liberal radio is entitled to anything to make it even, I see there being a problem with a public university essentially funding a conservative radio station. I don’t think it should shut down, but I also believe it should survive independently (sans any minor government funding most non-profit radio stations receive) without direct or proximate support from a public university.

But again… Just playing Devil’s Advocate, because few others do. Overall, Go Cats.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Hey, DA. Appreciate a DA, even when I may disagree with some of your points . On this, we definitely agree: Go Cats! Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.

• DevilsAdvocate
      4:16 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

KYKid, not a lawyer in Kentucky, so don’t know what jurisdictional issues may exist. However, I believe this is the perfect type of issue for the courts of Kentucky to decide, as they will have the best understanding of the US and State Constitution. I do not believe this should not be a political issue determined by congress, as it should not be made a political selling point for November.

High school games for public schools should likely be placed on some form of non-profit public access channel, like they are in many other states. These are often funded by the states and open to anyone who can avoid violating FCC rules. Otherwise, they can be placed on a “Sports Only” type channel that is not in any way affiliated with a political party.

Thus, your question is easily answered… It really all ends the minute the University stops funding politically based stations (liberal OR conservative), and becomes neutral. Therefore, it is not a slippery slope.

Have you listened to say, ESPN radio in other cities? Most ads are for Jimmy Johns, Rogaine, and Debt Solutions… Not Rush Limbaugh or Steven Colbert. The point is to be neutral when state funding is at issue, and not support one party over the other, and UK (consciously or not) is not being neutral at this moment in time.

Moreover, your concern of advertisements would likely be incidental to the programming. Therefore, that is not the issue. The issue here is that nearly all programming that is not UK-Related is conservative in nature, not incidentally, but deliberately. If there was any liberal programming, I don’t think this would be up for discussion.

• KyKid
      4:39 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I believe the courts have more pressing issues to attend to rather than deciding what stations are eligible to broadcast basketball games. Besides, what criteria would they use?

I think it should be to the highest bidder, whomever that may be. Agree that an all sports station would be best, but if you travel much you know that in many locations in our fine state there are only a handful of stations that you can get and all sports station is not an option.

• DevilsAdvocate
      5:00 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

KyKid, the first statement alone ensures that you do not understand the argument being made. This is more than just deciding what station can broadcast sports. This is whether or not it is appropriate for a state funded university to financially support and essentially support a radio station, which is conservatively based.

Your second point (though it takes a while to get to) is more on point. That this station may be the best medium for UK Sports to reach all counties, in which case, the Court would likely rule in favor of UK remaining on these stations. However, there is likely a way to make the games accessible to all Kentuckians, without providing millions of dollars in revenue to a conservative radio station, and therefore may be considered unconstitutional.

The argument is not “Who cares what channel the game is on as long as it’s played.” It’s, “Should a state funded university be able to financially promote and support one political party over the other.” The answer to the latter should likely be no, unless it is the only available medium.

• You Just May Be The DevilsAdvocate...
      11:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

in a literal sense as you are spewing complete misinformation. Lies if I’m not generous. No university funding EVER supports any radio affiliate. In fact, quite the opposite. Every radio affiliate is a part of a bidding process which includes not only the amount of money a media organization is willing to pay for the rights to games, etc. but also involves establishing its capability to disseminate the brand appropriately on a wide scale and to the athletic department’s liking. Setting aside the technical requirements for a winning bid let’s focus on the financial aspect. If a radio station, or group of radio stations as is the case, is PAYING the athletics department (note: NOT the university) for the right to broadcast games how exactly do university funds flow “directly” to said radio stations? Advertiser dollars and ONLY advertiser dollars flow to radio stations in this scenario. As the athletics department has the product being sold it isn’t paying for anything. It’s also important to make a distinction between the University of Kentucky and its athletics department. That reason being that the athletics department at UK is entirely self-supporting and manages to be so largely by selling broadcast rights for its sporting events. More specifically basketball and football. In an effort to support less financially viable sports the athletics department actually requires additional coverage of these less popular sports. That’s neither here nor there I suppose. Ultimately the point is NO university dollars go to the athletics department let alone any radio affiliate. Setting all of that aside the obvious issue at hand is who decides what radio station format and what content is appropriate for an affiliate? How exactly is that objectively done? Dawahare is either being dangerously naive as to the reality that no man has the wisdom or fairness to accomplish such a task and that such a format is not even able to be created in the first place OR the more likely scenario in which Dawahare has the galling hubris to believe that his beliefs are the only right beliefs for any man. If the latter be the case may God have mercy on his soul.

• DevilsAdvocate
      2:53 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

Don’t have time to respond to guy above, as you don’t get the argument. Best of luck to you on the SAT reading comprehension portion. You’re clearly going to need it.

30. KyKid
    2:07 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

They also play UK games on an FM country station. I hate country music so this must stop.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:42 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^

31. meeksfor3
    2:08 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

• um
      2:35 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

dude… are you really going to bring that climate change truther nonsense into public?

32. Doghair
    2:09 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

RichardDawahare.com

33. Stevem
    2:09 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Ongoing crusade by the left to label anything they don’t agree with as hateful or extremist. Fact is, the liberal orthodoxy is intolerant of free speech or thought. This guy is most likely trying to start up controversy to drum up business for what is most likely a failing law practice. His pseudo enlightenment is exposed by his own hypocrisy.

34. ClutchCargo
    2:10 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, let’s pull UK sports programming off those hateful conservative stations and get them on the hateful liberal stations. What a douche this Dawahare guy is. And I just realized, much to my chagrin, that the money I spent on clothes at Dawahare’s stores probably helped put his dumb ass through law school.

35. Abdul Saalam
    2:13 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I agree with him 100%
    These radio hosts spew hate 24/7 and UK should not support this garbage. Rush and his xenophobic, rasist audience should be kept at arms length from out Cats

• Liberal speech
      2:22 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

You need to be more tolerant!!!

• Chessplayer1974
      2:26 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

With that name tolerance isnt gonna happen

36. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    2:16 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I really wish the stupid Sean Hannity and LImbaugh commercials wouldn’t come up during the show though. They present their trash as facts, and any person who doesn’t go out of the way to research for themselves would probably believe what they said. While I don’t agree the games should come off the stations, I wish Hannity and Limbaugh would go the way of the dodo bird.

• KyKid
      2:38 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

You nailed the problem on the head, although not the way you intended. You SHOULD research and actually think and decide for yourself. I do not want someone (whoever that may be) trying to dictate what I hear so they can decide for me.

• 8 god
      2:50 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

KyKid, dear. It honestly gives UK fans a bad name when people like you believe with all your heart that what Limbaugh and Hannity feed you is real–nonsense like voter fraud, global warming skepticism, and the preposterous Obama birth certificate extravaganza.

• KyKid
      3:26 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

8, you apparently think you know me better than you do. I loathe Rush Limbaugh and some other hosts on conservative radio. I rarely listen to any of them. If you would have read my post you would see that I simply don’t want someone else censoring or deciding what is appropriate for me to hear. If I don’t like it, I can ignore it or change the channel. If I am intrigued by something and want to validate, I know how to do this. No one ‘feeds me’ anything I don’t want to eat. If they played communist commercials I would ignore them. See, I have the ability to think for myself, which you apparently don’t like.

• 8 god
      3:42 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

KyKid, I apologize for assuming you were defending those talk show hosts’ points of view, not just their rights to broadcast. I recognize that they have a right to pump out whatever they want, and you have a right to change the channel, but the thing that most people are missing on this comment thread is that the University has a right (arguably a responsibility) to go elsewhere with its business. I think that is a better way to argue Dawahare’s point of view.

• KyKid
      3:58 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I do understand the point. My concern is how far this would go, who would decide, etc. Public high school games would be included since they are taxpayer funded. I suppose you could go to music only stations. I just hate everything offending so many people. I really don’t think what type of station the game is on will affect anyone’s life choices. I listen to the game and then change the station to hear music I like.

37. Chessplayer1974
    2:24 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I am conservative…….but who the @!#%@ cares what the station’s format is other than when the game is on? WHAS gives UK a powerful station to reach out to BBN and potential recruits. Always somebody crying about something……

• 8 god
      2:46 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

18-year old kid here. I promise there are ZERO 18-year old recruits who are reached by WHAS radio.

• Reasonable liberal
      3:20 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Chessplayer1974, exactly! I’m a diehard liberal and can’t stand Rush or any of the conservative talk show hosts, but who cares? Those shows get ratings and generate advertising dollars that makes it possible for us to have frequent and high quality UK stuff on the radio too.

38. Liberal speech
    2:27 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

You act like 90% of the media isn’t liberal….

• JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
      3:09 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

They’re not….the media is dominated by conservatives. The proof is there, you’ll find zero large media outlets talking about Bernie Sanders regularly, yet they’ll spew the garbage that Donald Trump and Huckajesus say all day long. The only thing the media cares about is getting their pro-corporate oligarchs in office so all we will hear about is Hillary, Jeb, Trump, and the other establishment candidates because either way, they’ll come out rich.

39. Ernie Rich
    2:34 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I think Dickhead Dawahare should be removed!

• 8 god
      2:52 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

how does this comment get approved but a well-written defense of Dawahare’s point of view gets denied?

40. Jim Atchison
    2:53 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Where is Donald Trump when we need him?

41. NotSatire
    2:55 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Critical thinking….anathema to the thought-police.

42. BigBlueComingAtYou
    2:56 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

So, a liberal has sand in his vagina because there are conservative radio programs that air on the same station UK games are on. Sounds about right. Next you’ll probably see rioters…i’m sorry, “protesters” outside the radio station calling the station racist and inciting violence.

• dick dawahare
      3:02 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

They are only protesting in the name of hope and change. #Baltimore.

• 8 god
      3:05 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

You guys should try being black in America. I’ve heard from several black sources that it sucks.

Never mind that you will happily support the exploitation of black student athletes to bring millions to the University and to these hate-spewing radio stations.

43. Yitbos
    2:57 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I know a lawyer in Lexington who may have a hard time getting new clients

44. 8 god
    3:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

DevilsAdvocate above really got somewhere. Liberals have every right to oppose the University providing cash to a right-wing radio network.

But I would take it a step farther and say that any university (UK or UL in this case) must stand by its black, Hispanic, female, and LGBTQ students. They are vibrant, tuition-paying, accolade-bringing parts of the campus. Thus to promote a station that spews anti-gay, anti-reproductive-rights, racist filth is tantamount to disregarding the dignity of well over half the student body.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:06 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yet the other students who do not fit the above descriptions should be discriminated against?

• 8 god
      3:10 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Ah. You mean the Oppressed Conservative Christian White Male.

Counteracting discrimination against real victims doesn’t mean automatic reverse discrimination (not that reverse discrimination is even real). See Civil Rights Act, Amendments 13-15, etc.

• Mixxy
      3:13 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

So you would prefer the station just preach that rabid anti-religious rights and extreme anti-constitutional rights like the bigots who persecute people for refusing to participate in things that violate the tenets of their faith? Leftist hate-mongers who used FAKE charges of “intolerance” to practice REAL hate.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:22 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I certainly did not claim reverse discrimination. Nor would I , ever. The poster stated that certain groups needed to be represented (stood by) by the Univerity (ies). Implying that any student NOT identified in the poster’s designated groups are NOT “vibrant, tuition paying, accolade-bringing parts of the campus” – his (or her) words. Honestly, you are not arguing with a conservative in this post. I was just asking for clarification.
      I am intimately familiar with (and supportive of) the Civil Rights Act…which is completely irrelevant to Mr. Dawahare’s comments.

• 8 god
      3:30 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

It seemed you were implying that if the University stepped in to stop the arguable de facto discrimination against its minorities, women, LGBT, religious minorities, etc, that would mean that straight white Christian males would automatically be discriminated against. That is where I saw an appeal to “reverse discrimination.”

It is the ultimately the University’s choice where to broadcast its sports–I merely suggest that the University should err on the side of protecting the usual targets of bigotry rather than the privileged.

• KyKid
      3:42 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

8 – Hey I have an idea, why don’t you apply to be the radio czar so you can help make sure there are no games on any station that might carry anything that would be counter to your ideology. We must protect the fragile minds of the public who might be swayed by something they hear because they have no capacity to think for themselves.

I could care less what station the UK games are on as long as it comes in clearly. I can change the station any time I want. And for the record I don’t listen to any talk radio, but I sure don’t want people like you trying to control everything.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:57 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I simply believe in equal rights for ALL. Unfortunately, our society, at both ends of the spectrum, believes that polarizing us against each other is the best course. I will always identify as independent and as such, will not kotow to the party-line of either extreme, but please, do not ever mistake that position as” moderate”.

The university should support the rights of minorities, gays, lesbians, straights, blacks, whites, latinos, Albanians, Irish, Japanese, liberals, conservatives, moderates, Christians, Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, atheists, and Zoroastrians with complete equality…not at the expense of any of the above named, or unintentionally not mentioned groups. Human rights for one group should NEVER be at the expense of another, lest the pendulum swings too far in the other direction and an historically “privileged ” class becomes a new, persecuted class. That would be antithetical to any ideology that currently seeks equality.

45. Mixxy
    3:07 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

There’s only one reason to want to restrict or draw attention away from an opposing point of view. Mr. Dawahare does not believe his side is capable of winning a fair debate with the other side based on the facts.

This explains why the left has become so extreme lately about trying to remove anything from society that they disagree with. There is apparently no room for diversity in the minds of the left more and more because they think only those who believe exactly like them have a right to be heard. It’s sad that Americans don’t have the same freedoms we had when I was growing up. It’s a dark time for those who believe in truth, justice and freedom.

• 8 god
      3:12 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Hey, I’m listening. Examples please? I would like to have one of those fact-based discussions.

• Mixxy
      3:17 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

You must not watch the news. Bakers and florists being persecuted by the state and losing their homes because they refuse to participate in services that they are forbidden by Christianity from participating in. This despite the First Amendment directly banning any laws persecuting people for their faith. Faked charges of “discrimination” used to practice the kind of REAL discrimination against the wrongly accused. All because of rabid bigots who get off on persecuting Christians.

• 8 god
      3:25 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yes, I have heard about those cases. Unfortunately for the far right, the judiciary has held that–surprise–denying a couple service strictly because they are not straight violates equal protection.

I see your argument. In your own home, you can refuse to host anyone who “violates” your faith, including LGBT citizens if you wish. But when you open a business to the public you cannot discriminate. That’s what the Supreme Court says, not what the liberal media or Obama say. Simply put, discrimination is discrimination, whether on religious grounds or not. The good news is, that same baker or florist could not reasonably deny you service simply because you are Christian! Equal protection indeed works both ways, and that is the beauty of the American government.

46. jeffj
    3:13 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

barked up the wrong tree there……………………

47. Stevem
    3:14 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

The left is fascist. If you don’t agree with them they will take everything you have until fall into lock step

• Realty Bites
      3:37 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

FAIL..

Definition of Fascism:

Sounds EXACTLY like the Republican party.

• 8 god
      3:45 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

@Reality church.

• Mixxy
      5:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Those who study history know that fascism is a flavor of socialism. Benito Mussolini was the father of fascism as we know it, and his Italian fascism was the model for large parts of Roosevelt’s “New Deal”, as two of the principle architects were avowed fascists. FDR himself publicly praised Mussolini’s fascist policies. Progressives in America were equivalent to fascists in Italy.

Of course, after Mussolini allied with Hitler, then it became no longer a good thing to call yourself a fascist or a progressive, so those people began calling themselves liberal instead, even though that term had always described politics opposite to theirs (what we now call CLASSICAL liberalism, or libertarianism, which is what Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were).

48. Icny
    3:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I’m from around the area, and have yet to meet a Dawahare with a functioning brain.

49. jeffj
    3:36 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

enough already !!! GO CATS !!!

50. Ben Staples
    3:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Typical Government official making himself look like a total idiot

51. Blue at15
    3:45 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

typical lawyers and their political correctness. I’m sure his husband helped him write it

52. 8 god
    3:49 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I think all of us, liberal, conservative or moderate, can take a few shots to a stimulating comment thread on a slow afternoon at work. Well, except me because I’m a teenager. Go Cats.

53. catdog
    4:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Is this the Same guy who wrote an op/ed in the Herald Leader condemning the US and excusing Bin Laden’s 9/11 attacks, even as the ashes continued to smolder on the remains of 3,000 of his countrymen?
    If so, not surprising.

54. Dude
    4:04 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Could you imagine the death threats if UK games were broadcast on a Liberal station?

Think about it.

• The Truth
      4:29 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

There is no such thing as a Liberal station, unless you count NPR. And anyone who actually listens to it knows it is truly the only independent voice out there. Its not because Liberal voices don’t sell, its because the corporate masters (iHeatRadio and Fox News) have systematically bought up every competitor and converted them to mouthpieces for the right.

• Mixxy
      4:41 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Me, I find the best TV news is One America News. They’re new, but growing fast. I think they are in about 20 million homes so far in just a year or so since launching. Their news is completely with the sensationalism that CNN and Fox have. Very little entertainment news, also. Just the facts delivered by an objective voice. Their evening opinion shows are also different, espousing a libertarian voice instead of the liberal/conservative people are used to.

Everyone should check to see if they have it!

55. KyKid
    4:12 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Ok, serious question here. So who would be the appropriate person to make decisions on what radio stations are appropriate for a taxpayer-funded event to be broadcast on? Keep in mind this would include any public high school games as well. Some small towns only have a couple of radio stations to pick from.

56. THE SUN GOD
    4:21 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

The SHOW MUST GO ON.

57. INCALWETRUST
    4:25 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Mr. Dawahare…Eat a bag of Dicks !!

58. Redneck Conservative
    4:28 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Matt, this site is about UK sports!!! Leave the politics out of – wait, he said what?!?!

This guys obviously has lost some brain cells. I blame the depletion of some peoples brain cells on global warming….or are they calling it climate change this week? Maybe they should check to see if it really isn’t the greenhouse effect that is causing climate change but rather the hot air coming from all of the folks who gripe about everything and everyone one that doesn’t agree with them. I totally agree with Mr. Dawghair ,….we should brodcast the games on Pride radio and another thing,the name wildcats is very offensive to me and should be changed.Im thinking the Cuddly Rainbow Kitties would be more appropriate .

59. A Z Skaggs
    4:35 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Will be getting out on parole next month and when I get back to Lexington, i ain’t buyin nothin at Dawahare’s

• Mixxy
      4:44 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Maybe this guy is a different family than the clothes bunch? Maybe he’s from the Northside Dawahares?

60. Mixxy
    4:45 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Was this whole thing just a test to see how many posts the new Comments section could take before crashing?

61. John Ellis
    4:46 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

He’s right. I can’t believe the crap I have to listen to in the station promos. And “Family Guy” and “The Simpsons” should leave Fox too. Stop funding the fascists.

• asdf
      4:55 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

There’s this remarkable invention called the “remote”, and I promise that it will solve your “Family Guy” problems if you only learn to use it.

62. asdf
    4:49 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I’ll be honest. My real problem with Dawahare’s piece is that I disagree with anyone who defines “hate-filled” as “disagreeing with me” or “wanting to engage in an actual discussion about an issue”. That’s an inherently dishonest and un-American attitude he has, because healthy debate is the only way we have to really settle anything fairly!

• Mixxy
      4:51 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

So you’re saying that instead of taking the time to write a column, Dawahare’s time would have been better spent calling in on Rush?

63. asdf
    4:52 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I hear they have long hold-times, so maybe not. But at least he should learn to be more open-minded and realize that his own narrow point-of-view is not the only valid one. That’s a less we all need to learn occasionally.

• asdf
      4:53 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

EDIT: lesson

64. Jason
    5:15 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I support seperation of sport and state.

65. Le Docteur
    5:33 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Interesting thread. Even the moronic, false history lessons are at least revealing. Richard Dawahare does have a point; you can’t listen to a UK game on the radio without being subjected to the promos for Rush and the other far-right radio entertainers. WLAP is in no way nuanced in its programming. Anyone who disagrees with that vantage point would be offended that our public university supports it. All of those who have spewed venom towards Mr. Dawahare, I suggest you read two books by John Dean, entitled “Conservatives Without Conscience” and “Broken Government.” John Dean — yes, the Watergate John Dean — proudly calls himself a “Goldwater Conservative,” but since 2000, he has largely left the Republican Party because it’s dominated by what HE calls far-right, authoritarian, radicals. His research caused him to conclude that there isn’t any equivalent on the far left — no significant left talk radio, no FOX News of the left — because, he says, there isn’t any equivalent audience on the left for that. To the extent that Government is effed up, to the extent that there’s no such thing as civil, rational discourse in our country, one of conservatism’s favorite sons says that the blame for it goes to the radicalization of the far right.

• Slick Willy
      6:20 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I would suggest that you should look into the weath of the Clintons , Al Gore ,Nancy Pelosi ..oh wait it doesn’t matter because they are for the working man…..you sir are clueless …you are told what to think and feel.Anyone who disagrees with you are racist bigots that want dirty water.Im sure you believe in global warming…..oh sorry climate change or whatever you are calling it this week.
      Liberal first……then everything else

• Le Docteur
      1:21 pm July 8, 2015 Permalink

And you, Slick, before you go reading any John Dean books, ought to look up the word “non sequitur,” and Google the terms “unintended irony” and “Tourette syndrome.” Meanwhile, thank you for helping to make my points.

66. Mush Slimeball
    5:42 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

This is why I listen to KSR on 1080 as I can’t even stand my own commercial on 630. Hey, anyone need a lawnmower?

67. MYOLDKENTUCKYHOME
    5:54 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I am a diehard Democrat and UK fan and this is the dumbest thing I’ve read in ages.

1) Who cares if the radio station is liberal or conservative?
    2) Just because you don’t agree with their politics doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have the right to air a sports program.
    3) You’d flip out if a university took their sports programming off a station just because they are a liberal station.

And for the conservatives lumping all liberals together and judging us based on this idiot: his views aren’t because he’s a liberal… it’s because apparently he’s just an idiot.

By the way… this guy is a lawyer? Wow.

68. MikeUKFan
    6:36 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Liberal Dumbocrats are only tolerant of their view points. Other views are not tolerated and considered racist and hatred not a view point. They have kept 1 nationality in poverty for a voting base since 1965. ISIS is going around doing their thing, the border is allowing thousands of criminals in each day, we are become a socialist state and on and on. But this liberal hate spewing lawyer is worried about basketball on the radio. This country has gone to hell.

• IkeUKFan
      7:30 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Right Wing Extremists are only tolerant of their view points. Other views are not tolerated and considered gay and lesbian, not a view point. They have kept all nationalities in poverty since 1865. Rush and Hannity are going around doing their thing, the border is allowing thousands of criminals in each day, just like Bush, we are become a primitive state and on and on. But this conservative hate spewing UK fan is worried about basketball on the radio. This country has gone to hell.

69. chessplayer1974
    7:26 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Whatever happened to the free market?

70. Richard Dawahare
    7:32 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I should have expected such a violent backlash from the other side of the isle.

Thus, furthering my point.

• Chessplayer1974
      7:48 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Violent? LOL. You libs have just gotten spoiled by getting your way with so many issues these days. Maybe you should write the President. He loves causes such as yours.

71. Slipping Jimmy
    8:17 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

PENIS PENIS PENIS

72. Slipping Jimmy
    8:21 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I’d love to know everyone’s credentials that’s have such sharp (jagged) opinions on politics, especially on a blog that dumb down stories for the UK fan base, I do enjoy KSRs reporting don’t mistaken that. There is a difference between reading a headline and reading a story.

• Ahem
      8:48 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

+1. If you read the same right wing comments from people on Facebook, and then go look at their pictures….. well, LOL. wow is all I can say.

Reminds me of some of my “Republican” part of the family down in Corbin. “NO HANDOUTS!” they keep shouting, “illegal immigrants are taking our jobs!”…… and yet they take full advantage of welfare, “disability”, find every excuse not to work, get cheap/free housing, but by Gawd, let them tell you about the the black president, the Confederate Flag and gay marriage.

73. Rufus Johnson
    8:46 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like this guy is an ambulance chaser off his meds trying to drum up some free publicity. I don’t think I’d hire a lawyer with primary work experience as a shoe salesman at a crappy department store. Now someone get this psycho clown his meds.

74. John
    8:54 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky? I think I’ve heard of the place before….oh yeah, a horse race, I believe.

75. Charlie
    9:08 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Mr. Dawahare: Willie Dawahare has just rolled over in his grave. He would never spout such crap as you have done. Get real…..Let UK decide where to have the games broadcast. They have done just fine for many years. As the old saying goes…..if you don’t like it, don’t listen.

76. Susan
    12:04 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Really quite full of yourself!! What an idiot statement/demand from someone who profits off the little man….oh sorry….Mr D., you ARE the LITTLE man!!!!!

77. Wyldcatzrool...
    1:13 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

O…M…G…

Now THIS ladies and gentlemen…THIS…is just one of the thousands of examples of the liberal brainwashing of America…

These poor victims actually believe they are “right” people??!!??!!

And THAT is some seriously frightening stuff…

Propaganda?

How about some TRUTH my friend…

The media in this country as founded were to be a “watchdog” for us the people…

Today? Nothing but a lapdog for the far left ideology and government…

I feel as if today I am virtually living in a country that very closely resembles what was described to me as the Soviet Union and as Communism when I was educated…1971-1977 Elementary…1977-1980 Junior High…known as “Middle School” today…and 1980-1983 High School…then UK from 1983 through 1987…and THERE is where I first ran into the “Revisionist” “version” of America and America’s history and World History as well…

This is so scary folks…so frightening…and all of these people seem to be totally “onboard” with all of the lies being spewed daily…

It would be hilarious if it were not so horrific…

I have heard this said of drug addicts…

But it so aptly applies to “liberals”…Socialists….Marxists…Communists…Elinsky-ites…call it what you will…all the same…we were all warned in the 1950’s…that would be taken over from withing without a shot being fired…and all in the name of “Liberalism”…Google it…

And so…someone spouts all of this diatribe…blind as a bat obviously…

And those of us who believe in America…who Believe in the Constitution and The Bill of Rights…those of us who believe in law and order and a civilized society…

Suddenly it is WE who are the “bad” guys?

At least we believe in freedom and in individual rights and liberty…

And at least we do possess a moral compass that guides us NOT to LIE and NOT to BREAK THE LAW…

Libs? Their doctrine says that lies are fine…that ignoring some laws while enforcing others is just “fine”…

Their doctrine says that the “end justifies the means”…whatever the means may be…lying to the people…deception…no matter and no worries to them…

Their view of “the people”?

Stupid. Ignorant. Unable to make quality life choices on our own.

They view themselves as the enlightened ones…who “know better”than all of the rest of us…

They laugh and mock all of those who are stupid enough to vote for them and fall for their lies…

Trust me…they do…

They portray themselves as those who truly “care” for the people…who are “kind” and “compassionate”…

while behind closed doors they laugh and mock those who are so stupid and dumb and gullible enough to actually vote them into power…

It is unreal just how crazy and insane it has become…

They say what?

UP…is DOWN…

BLACK…is WHITE…

BAD…is GOOD…

and WRONG…is RIGHT…

There are no absolutes…

Not in their world…

But ask yourself this?

Why is it that everything they do and all of their policies are destructive to America???

Why is it?

Is not our President supposed to represent us by promoting and supporting America and it’s citizens?

Why does our President do the complete opposite?

Why?

Oh…you buy into all of their America is “bad” nonsense, do you?

Oh, believe me…I can shoot down all of those lies too…

The communists came up with a plan in the 50’s…to infiltrate our educational system and the mass media system…so that the small minority would seem as if it were the majority…and all of the while spewing their propaganda and their lies…

I am just tired and have to work tomorrow…yes…work…the backbone of America…

You may wanna try it some time…

What you are witnessing in these past 6 or 7 years is the all out effort to destroy America…

And the sheeple follow…

It all sickens me to the very core…

BOOM!

• Mixxy
      8:59 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Some astute observations. It’s sad that my kids won’t get to grow up in “the land of the free” the same way I did. That country is now dead and buried. The name is the only thing that remains, sadly. The ideas of Jefferson and Madison, which our country was built upon, have been almost completely abandoned in the name of extremist, reactionary socialism.