Let’s talk gorillas, Finals and meetings in Destin (Tuesday Show Thread)

holiday-surf-destin-beach

Lots to talk about on today’s show as the guys return to the airwaves from the three-day weekend. They’ll hit a wide range of topics this a.m., including:

— The gorilla incident at the Cincinnati Zoo
— Last night’s Game 7 of the West Conference Finals
— Memorial Day weekend fun
— The SEC coaches in Destin
— Much more

Tune in!

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Let’s talk gorillas, Finals and meetings in Destin (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:57 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I hope everyone got to get out and enjoy the weather!

I am sure this gorilla shooting will be brought up today.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    10:23 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

There’s a reason why guys get too handsy, women yell “let me go, you big ape!”. Big apes are dangerous. Good call by the zoo.

3. J-Dub421
    10:25 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

The kid told his mom he was going to climb into the gorilla enclosure, then went and did it. He climb through bushes, a moat, and over a wall. I know kids can get away from you pretty quickly, but not that quickly. He even announced his intentions. Mom was not paying attention.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

*climbed

• Realme
      10:27 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I hadn’t heard those details. In that case she should be charged with neglect or something. Zoo did the right thing, but it was a terrible result that did not have to happen.

• I hadn’t heard all that either J-Dub. Is there a link?

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I have read several articles on this, let me see if I can find the one that I read that in.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

From the article linked above: “The incident began Saturday afternoon, when the boy crawled through a barrier, past some bushes and over the edge of a moat in the gorilla enclosure. In the moments before he fell, a witness heard the boy tell his mother he wanted to jump in with the gorillas, reported NBC affiliate WLWT-TV.”

• Realme
      11:03 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

If they do try to sue the zoo, I’ll be all in against the parents. A place like that, where any number of things could happen, you should be more vigilant than on the average day out with your kids. If someone or their kid ends up in a place where they clearly have no right to be, I don’t blame the zoo. If a gorilla escaped and rampaged through the zoo, that would be different.

• Thanks for the link. I always try to reserve judgment on these things before knowing all the facts. Not to be funny this time, but all the internet zoologists remind me of the Seinfeld episode with George pretending to be a Marine Biologist.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

Or an architect….

Obviously I wasn’t there and don’t know anything for certain, but at any zoo I have been to, you can’t just trip and fall into a dangerous animal enclosure. It would take some doing to get into an enclosure.

I used to volunteer at the Louisville Zoo a lot when I was younger, and the lack of parental supervision was often baffling and would make me angry. I often had to tell kids not to climb on things, or throw trash into animal enclosures, or not to spit into animal enclosures, etc. I’ve seen parents drop their 10-12 year olds off at the zoo and leave. (This also used to happen at the pool where I was a lifeguard.) Parents use the zoo and pools, etc. like babysitters.

• I read the article, and I still have to reserve judgment on this. I’m a parent and I know kids at 4 (and many ages) can get away from you in a split second.

4. I think we need RCF to bring in the heart starting paddles to revive the Show Thread again.

• Realme
      10:33 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

Somebody call in the trolls. Our system is screwed up at work and I need a reason to be at my desk.

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

yeah the trolls aren pretty annoying, but at least they offer some comedy sometimes

• Yeah, 1 or 2 of them are good for a laugh occasionally…but not usually.

5. Realme
    10:40 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I watched the last quarter of that game last night, and all I could think was, this is really high stakes, so why is it so much less exciting than college ball? Obviously I have a team that I am extremely into in college bball, but even over all, I just don’t think it’s half as awesome. Why is that?

• I think even though a game 7 is exciting because you know someone’s going home, it’s still not the same as a one and done tourney.

Of course, with the NCAA you also have the fact that the best team doesn’t always win, and for us 2015 ended horribly. When we won it in 98 and weren’t the best team, now THAT’S a different story! (although I would argue that we were PLAYING the best by the time the tourney started…Shepherd was red hot)

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:47 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

Over the past five to ten years, the NBA has made their games less exciting because of the way they officiate. They have a WWE “sports entertainment” mindset instead of a “get it accurate” mindset. That’s why they don’t call travels or even fouls consistently. Their intent is to artificially generate drama, but they actually do more harm than good by stripping the realism from the game.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

A lot of times, it seems to me like the pros simply don’t care as much. Some of them do, Lebron and Curry definitely care. Kobe definitely cared which I respect, even though I’ve never really liked Kobe. But, a lot of pros just seem like they’re going through the motions.

• Realme
      10:58 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

The one and done stakes of the NCAA tourney do make fandom more intense and also potentially more painful. I’d add that there’s also something different about watching grown men who are making millions either way, vs watching younger athletes that seem to play with more heart that makes it different. Durant made a little effort to fire his team up at the end, but it seemed so much less than it should have been.

6. @GoCayts
    10:54 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

comparing college and nba, just think about those historically great cats (38-0) and the historically great warriors (73-9) … cats were beaten by wiscy (and the refs) … the warriors lost game 1 AT HOME to okc and if not for a series, would not have even made it to the finals … were down 3-1, would not have even made it to the finals if it were a best of 5 series

7. @GoCayts
    10:57 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I would take Newman if he could come to UK and practice this year, learn the system and be able to play next year … if he went to a JUCO this year and then wanted to come after that, I would pass. Is it possible he could transfer and just take summer classes or just one semester at JUCO and then be eligible to come to UK at the time Wynyard came?

• Realme
      11:07 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I think attitude and work ethic are key here. I don’t know how Newman is in that regard, but If Cal decided he would fit, cool. That said, it’s probably pointless to speculate, we’d probably have heard if they were looking at him.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

If it’s true that Newman quit going to class his second semester (ala Ben Simmons) because he thought he was a sure one-and-done, then I don’t want him. That shows a certain level of arrogance, a lack of work ethic, and a general lack of integrity.

• ukjaybrat
      11:10 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

From what i’ve heard, he had issues with going to class. cal won’t settle for that.

on another note, does a transfer who’s sitting out still count against scholarship limits? i know we have one now that matthews and lee are transferring, just curious.

• @GoCayts
      11:13 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

what I’ve seen is that they probably won’t allow him to transfer to an SEC school … and that he can’t transfer to a D1 school because of grades … and that he can’t go JUCO because once he declared for the draft and then pulled out he made himself ineligible – because JUCO didn’t change their rules the way the NCAA did regarding that (pulling out early doesn’t always work out, kids!)… so he almost has to go to overseas … but who the hell knows at this point … I was throwing my 2 cents in there just for fun

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I know nothing of JUCO rules, but if that’s true, then Mr. Newman may have shot himself in the foot, so to speak. The whole situation sounds like a train wreck.

8. NostraDanis
    11:19 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

Wow, Matt. Could you possibly be a bigger D_ck! You get 2 hrs to make your points; a caller gets a few seconds. Lighten up, Francis!

9. MikeMills07
    11:24 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

CBS Sports listed Vegas’ prediction of UK FB 2016 win total – 5.
    Question: Based on this, would you consider a 6-win season overachieving?
    I say no, I think 6-win season this season should be the goal, 7 or 8 would be over achieving.

10. UKRox
    11:34 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

I like buck cherry. They rock with good rythms and fun lyrics. Can Matt elaborate why he keeps hammering them?

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am May 31, 2016 Permalink

Just know that Matt has terrible taste in music.