Let’s talk about beating Mizzou (Tuesday Show Thread)

What do you say we put the negativity from the Florida loss behind us and focus on getting the W this Saturday? On today’s show, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond will jump back aboard the positive train and explain why Kentucky can win its third game of the season against Mizzou.

Plus, some basketball recruiting news that isn’t so positive.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

68 Comments for Let’s talk about beating Mizzou (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. Michael
    10:01 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Did Khalid Henderson earn any starting time while Flannigan was out, now that he is back?

2. c'mon man
    10:18 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Guys – Please stop bemoaning the expectations of “the fanbase” when you two spent the entirety of last week fanning the flames about beating Florida and going to Atlanta.

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

i believe matt and co consistently said to STOP getting ahead of ourselves concerning atlanta and worry about just this game… but i suppose facts are optional in the comments section too

• Realme
      10:33 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Jay, they absolutely fed expectations about the game. Lost of posts about how it was going to happen this year. Lots of discussion of how we could easily start the season 5-0.

• ukjaybrat
      10:35 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

yes, they fueled expectations about THIS game, but my post was specific to atlanta… they tempered expectations abotu atlanta all week because the focus of the team as well as ksr was on THIS game.
      c’mon man said KSR fueled both expectations. only half of his statement was true.

• Realme
      10:36 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I see what you’re saying. Wasn’t paying attention to that part of it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:38 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

i could have phrased it better :/

3. realme
    10:18 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I think the high volume of negativity was mostly because it felt like that was our best chance to end an embarrassing streak. Also, we were all pumped up into thinking it was going to happen (by KSR). I’m trying to approach Saturday without expectations, so that I can watch the game and not stress.

4. Ryan FanDuel
    10:20 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Drew said it best about Ryan’s FanDuel in the wakeup post: “You’re more likely to get struck by three bolts of lightning while cashing a PowerBall ticket at a Rick Pitino celibacy dinner.”

5. harry
    10:22 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

how about a fat doctor?

10:40 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I’ve seen lots of doctors who smoke….

6. hater
    10:28 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

People whether children or adults do not handle disappointment well especially when it follows optimistic expectations to accomplish something not done in a long time. .

7. bigbluecoop
    10:31 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Andy didn’t know what he was talking about. If these players can’t make adjustments, they need to be on the bench.

8. CWS
    10:31 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I WAS MAD THAT THE DEFENSE HAS FLORIDA ON THE 2 YARD LINE & THE REFS CALL RUFFING THE QUARTERBACK. BULL!!!!

• ukjaybrat
      10:33 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

yeah that was the worst call in the history of the game. you can’t throw a block then get a roughing call immediately after. if all i got was an official “we screwed that one up” apology from the crew that night, i would be happy. but that’s never going to happen

• bigbluecoop
      10:38 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

UK still gets no respect from the officials. The QB in that situation is just another player. That call was on a par with the non-call at The Swamp last year and the bad snap by S. Carolina that Bud Dupree came up with, but they let the Gamecocks keep it.

10:46 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Seriously, by the refs logic, it should have been roughing the passer when Towles made that tackle to save the touchdown early in the game….

• CWS
      10:50 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

ALSO WISHED THEY’D CALLED THE DELAY OF GAME IN LAST YEARS GAME INSTEAD OF THIS YEAR.

• Rob
      7:39 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

No, jdub. Quit being all butthurt about a call. You suck.

9:43 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

Three other people made a comment about the call, but you’re going to call me out for essentially making a joke??? You suck.

9. Realme
    10:32 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

This was the perfect chance for another KSR dating game. I think there are people that go to games alone. See it in basketball a lot.

10. Realme
    10:35 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Media people now seem to think the fan base is mad about being 2-1. I don’t think that’s the case. I think it’s just frustration of having so many missed chances to beat Florida, once.

11. Nathan
    10:37 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I usually get so drunk at games, I end up alone anyway.

12. BUchamp
    10:40 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

There are so many subtle advantages to going to the movies by yourself. As an example, going with other people inevitably almost always makes you late and you don’t get the best seat & miss the previews. When you go by yourself, you aren’t on anyone elses schedule!

• ukjaybrat
      10:43 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

My mom goes to the movies by herself all the time bc my pops isn’t a huge fan. she says she enjoys it though because it’s her chance to unwind by herself. i bet if she had one of those movie theaters that served jack & coke, she would go see All The Movies ! lol

10:46 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

It’s not like you’re going to sit around having a conversation during a movie either.

13. Realme
    10:44 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I think that email the guy wrote about Patrick’s hair was nutty. But he does look silly when he’s shaking his hair out to have it lay just so when he puts his helmet on. I like the hair though. Surprised it doesn’t have its’ own twitter account.

14. Sir Edmond
    10:45 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I think Matt should take some responsibility for our overblown expectations from last week. He does this sort of thing, then gets mad when the fans blow up after the loss.

• ukjaybrat
      10:52 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

overblown expectations for winning and being as butthurt as some of our fans are for losing CAN be exclusive. you can be optimistic before the game AND not be super pissed after a loss at the same time… i did it. the rest of the fans are just taking out their frustrations in a poor manner. a loss is a loss. time to move on.

• Texas Cat Fan
      10:53 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

So, you’re saying you have no control over your emotions? And, you want a radio show about UK sports to temper the excitement so that fare whether fans don’t go negative if we lose? I’m sorry, but that is absurd.

• Realme
      11:01 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I totally agree. I also think some of the fans go completely off the deep end and then they act all of us have went to the extreme because they get some kooky calls.

11:10 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Sorry, but you’re an adult (I think) and are in charge of managing your own expectations.

• Realme
      11:17 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Guys, there are thousands of KSR fans that are extremely influenced by what Matt says. Obviously they should think for themselves, but I think Sir Edmund makes a good point. KSR shouldn’t be surprised that when they feed the hype machine more than any other entity and the team fails, the hyped up fans become upset fans. It has been happening for years, but for football is at an all time high.

• Sir Edmond
      12:02 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Realme, thank you. That is exactly my point. Reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking with most of the others. They totally missed my point.

12:11 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

We didn’t miss your point; we just disagreed with it. I read the site and listen to the show every day too. But I manage my own expectations. You are responsible for your own expectations, not Matt/KSR.

• Sir Edmond
      12:15 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

No, you obviously don’t understand.

12:56 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

I do understand your point. It’s not difficult. You are blaming Matt for your expectations. Coach Stoops and Coach Cal preach personal accountability, and so do I.

• Sir Edmond
      2:11 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

And Matt needs some accountability for creating hype. He never owns up to being wrong. See, you made my argument for me. That’s what I’m saying. Not that we aren’t responsible for ourselves. I never said we aren’t. Anywhere. So, please work on your reading comprehension skills.

6:33 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

You said, “Matt should take some responsibility for our overblown expectations from last week.” I said, you should manage your own expectations like an adult. Matt runs a sports blog and radio show, it’s part of his job to create hype and generate interest. My reading comprehension is just fine. Please stop trying to imply that I’m stupid because I disagree with you.

• Sir Edmond
      8:53 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

You must be stupid, because you still don’t get it. Sorry, you imbecile.

15. Daniel
    10:48 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

For this season my section has a single seat between another season ticket holder and my seats. First game it was empty which meant more room for me. For the Florida game, we had a single Florida fan come sit between us. He was respectful and you could tell he was a “good” Florida fan. He had no problems about sitting by himself.

16. Daniel
    10:48 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Matt needs a girlfriend bad….

17. KevinM
    10:50 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Matt, I know how to cure your time alone: Kaylee Hartung
    She’s not around enough to take all your free time.

Why don’t you update us on this?

18. al
    10:52 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Matt, when you go to the bar alone, wear your sailor suit and you won’t be alone for long!

19. biscuitsolddad
    10:52 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

What has happened to Matt Elam? I thought he was supposed to be a potential All American. Does he even play? Is he hurt?

20. Towles' Man Bun
    10:54 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Best way to continue watching UK football is to expect the worst, hope for the best. Hedge your bets against disappointing results, because…Kentucky.

21. CWS
    10:55 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

22. J-Dub421
    11:14 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

There seem to be some fans who think we can just try Barker out for a few games, then if it doesn’t work out, switch back to Towles. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work that way. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• ukjaybrat
      11:18 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

this is absolutely NOT how it works. it’s easy in basketball to bench someone if they arent performing. ut in football, it works differently.

what towles lacks in talent and athleticism (let’s face it, he’s not aaron rodgers), he MORE than makes up for in confidence. If you bench Towles for Barker, he will lose a large portion of that confidence and swagger. We can’t afford that right now.

• Realme
      11:21 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Why not try him for a series or two instead of a game or two? If Towles gets hurt we’re all going to wish Drew had some semblance of experience.

• Realme
      11:22 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

If Patrick is truly confident, he shouldn’t be affected by sharing a few minutes.

11:28 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I wasn’t referring to a series or two to get Drew some experience. I’m talking about starting. That is what people are calling for. If we could get a lead and hold onto it late in the game, I would have no problem getting Barker in for even a whole quarter to gain experience, but there hasn’t been an opportunity to do this so far.

• Realme
      11:36 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I kind of felt like once the offense came out in the second half against Florida as bad as they were in the first, that could have been a moment to shake some things up. I agree that naming a new unproven starter would be insane.
      I also don’t agree with Jay that Patrick is confident. I think he sounds confident off the field and then gets completely rattled on the field and can’t shake it off. Once we’ve lost In Charge Of the Game Patrick, I’d love to just get a chance to see what Drew would do.

11:39 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Sometimes when the wheels are falling off in the game, Pat is the one who seems to rally the offense and get them to perform. Look at the end of the South Carolina game. That final drive that allowed us to hang on to the win was a whole lot of Towles.

• Realme
      11:44 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Just for the record, JDub and Jay, I freely admit that you both know football way better than me. I don’t want to give the impression that I think think I’m some kind of know it all. I just don’t have a lot of confidence in our QB right now, going back to the second half of last season. Vary much hope to be wrong.

• ukjaybrat
      11:46 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

But you can’t just put barker in for a few series to “see what he’s got” … that also is not how football works. To get a true measure of a quarterback, he needs first string reps in practice for several weeks to get timing with those receivers and linemen. well if barker is getting those reps, Towles is not. there are SOO many little details that go into a quaterback’s game that the average fan just doesn’t understand. When in doubt, listen the the professionals. What is JLo’s opinion? He absolutely thinks it is ridiculous that some of the fans are calling for Barker to start.

• Realme
      11:52 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I think Jared has a bias, but Freddie also lends credibility to what you’re saying.

11:57 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I will freely admit there are a lot on fans on here who know a lot more about football than I do. I have a habit of defending players when I feel like everyone is unfairly dumping on them.

23. J-Dub421
    11:17 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Look at how many times Florida’s receivers “made a play” on Saturday. Grier basically threw several balls on the ground, but his receivers made spectacular diving catches and bailed him out. I think this is why I was so annoyed over all the Towles bashing yesterday.

• ukjaybrat
      11:22 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

what irritated me more was that I think our players were going for a big hit on grier. He made more moves with his feet that kept drives alive. If our players sat and just tried to make tackles instead of trying to HIT him, we could have made more plays. I am sure the DC and coaches have seen the tape and will hopefully work to make adjustments. But if you go back and watch the tape, Grier hit that A-button and sidestepped tacklers on multiple occasions. This is because our tacklers were trying to use forward momentum to make a big hit. rather they need to use less forward momentum. This will allow them to react to his sidestep and make the tackle.

granted this only works for quarterbacks and receivers. a bigger player like a fullback or halfback will need that momentum to take them down or they will run right through you…

just my two cents. and like i said, i’m sure the coaches will work on that this week.from what i saw, this is what kept florida on the field on those third down conversions

• Realme
      11:23 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

That’s true. They made some absolutely crazy catches.

24. bigbluecoop
    11:19 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

LOL. Harold was doing great on that ad, til the end.

25. Earache
    11:29 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

You have to have a ticket to see Dwight Yoakam so if you’re worried about dirty Louisville fans, this will eliminate some of them.

26. Realme
    11:39 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

How can anyone want us to be strictly Air Raid when we have such badass running backs?

11:42 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Our running backs are great and should definitely be used. Often. Plus, if you want to win games, you have to have some balance to your offense. Unless you’re LSU and have Fournette, you need to mix it up and not be one dimensional.

27. Melvit
    11:39 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

This caller disappoints me, WE HAVE LOST 29 YEARS IN A ROW TO FLORIDA!!!!!!!!

28. Nathan
    11:45 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

It finally happened, the weekly show turned into the Post Game Show. Hey Matt, why isn’t Stoops playing Derek Willis.

29. Melvit
    11:56 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think the fans were booing the players, they were booing the officials.