Let KSR’s Gubernatorial Debate begin! (Wednesday Show Thread)

Matt Bevin (R), Jack Conway (D), and Drew Curtis (I)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to a very special day here on Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt will moderate a debate featuring the three candidates for Kentucky governor: Matt Bevin (R), Jack Conway (D), and Drew Curtis (I). Tune in to them answer some questions — both serious and fun — for the first hour before we turn the discussion back to sports in the second.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

62 Comments for Let KSR’s Gubernatorial Debate begin! (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:46 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Ryan can’t do the show in Louisville anymore. Seems to always be bad things when that happen. Good luck today!

2. ukjaybrat
    9:46 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Glad to have UK_JB back, but you’re slipping on getting in the first comment. Hope the debate goes well today !

• ukjaybrat
      9:47 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

gah ! JUST got it in lol

3. lyndalou
    10:02 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Conway looks nervous.

4. CATandMONKEY
    10:03 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Glad to see you back in the game JB. I inadvertently got first post once last week but the win feels cheap, like playing in March madness without UK, Duke, Mich State or Kansas.

I hope one of the candidates throws Ryan a math problem.

5. android guy
    10:09 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I don’t really mind the occasional foray in to politics by KSR, but I’m always glad when it is over and they get back to the things that actually affect our lives, like basketball and football!

• Crushgroove
      10:33 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Like.

6. Andrew
    10:10 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Good lord – Matt Bevin has nine children? Calm down there buddy

• hater
      10:24 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

They are mostly adopted.

7. Ryan Lemond
    10:12 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

#TeamBevin

8. Joe
    10:21 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Did Conway REALLY just say for Matt to get used to him not answering his questions?!?!?!?

• hater
      10:25 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I believe Bevins interjected that comment.

9. Zack
    10:24 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Ask mr be in if he realizes that while jobs went up in Tennessee the average person made 4500 dollars less a year

10. 8 god
    10:25 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

As a current Duke student, I feel some ownership of Conway’s awkwardness.

11. CATandMONKEY
    10:27 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Conway has ducked more than he has answered.

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Is this Curtis guy for real or am I being Punk’d?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:29 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

He is the only one of the three that is not beholden to national party interests. The most honest of the three.

• 8 god
      10:31 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

That’s what they say about Donald Trump.

• hater
      10:31 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

He owns Fark

• harry
      10:32 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

better than the other two

• Laker Cat 18
      11:17 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

The problem is that Curtis has no shot and everyone knows it. He’s in to sway votes from foolish voters, that’s all. I wouldn’t be shocked if his campaign is being paid by Conway to split Bevin’s vote. Curtis used to be democrat because “he chose to be when he was 18 years old?” Come on folks, that’s how politics work.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:30 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

…and as we continue to vote for either constipation or diarrhea we continue to deserve the shite that we elect to office. We act like it is impossible to ever do something differently. The process is controlled by the Dems and Repubs. Really? Are we so week willed and weak minded to accept these dictates from parties that are only concerned with self preservation and power consolidation? Sadly the cliché of sheeple is all too true, here and across the nation. Pitiful.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:31 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Weak.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Me or you weak-minded to accept change? No. Everyone else in America or Kentucky? Yes. As a whole, we won’t see that change in our lifetime. It’s just how it goes. On a similar note, I highly doubt Curtis would be that guy anyway. He sounded like a guy who was very “book smart” but not much common sense. No offense to the guy.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:51 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Laker, I cannot disagree with your last statement in general. I don’t think that you personally are weak-minded and of course have great (if even sorely misplaced ) confidence in my own intellect. I frequently agree with your posts but am saddened that the situation in which we currently exist truly can only be described as “it is what it is” . I campaigned for Leahy in VT 30 some years ago, was a Boys state rep and held numerous executive positions while at Grad/professional school at UK. The stink of politics and the lack of creative thinking from the establishement has driven me from the mainstream. I honestly don’t have any great answers, only frustrations. Just venting on here. I welcome thoughtful discussion on these matters and people that will effect the future for all of us.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:53 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

PS: Celts >> Lakers

• android guy
      1:17 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I liked some of what Curtis said, but he sounds like a college lecturer, and that is not a complimentary thing to say about anyone.

13. hater
    10:31 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I would have hoped that the Republicans could have found a Kentuckian to run for Governor of Kentucky.

14. Can hear everything on your breaks
    10:33 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Watch what you say. We can hear everything during your breaks on the website feed.

15. android guy
    10:34 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Conway is having a terrible debate. He’s coming across as a stereotypical politician who won’t say anything that isn’t a prepared remark. He’s even fighting with a sympathetic host to keep from stating an opinion!

16. harry
    10:37 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Matt Bevin = Tool

17. hater
    10:38 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

This is starting to sound like Matt debating Bevin.

18. harry
    10:39 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

then release don’t threaten to

19. hater
    10:41 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

OK so he is not kicking them out, he is just not letting them back in.

20. harry
    10:44 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

These guy are making me sick to my stomach, same politicians same answers.

21. Chester
    10:44 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

What a surprise. MJ letting his liberal mindset getting in the way. He will probably take it easy on the democrat.

• CatFanDu
      10:54 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

He did.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:19 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

After the KSR primary debate, I expected Jones to put a lot more pressure on Bevin. Bevin won that one with ease. Bevin ate Conway’s lunch today, even with the fire Jones started with him.

22. harry
    10:45 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

KY coal is special, lol

23. CatFanDu
    10:51 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Matt Jones v Matt Bevin Debate Winner was Matt B! Jones didn’t seem to realize he was saying he would lower the income level eligible. Also wish Matt J would realize that tax returns are no-one else’s business as long as conflicts of interest or ethics concerns are cleared. Conway is too lawyer-speak for my tastes and the other guy is a joke. “Uh, yeah my wife make a good Lieutenant Governor.” #TeamBevin

• harry
      11:01 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

agreed on not releasing tax returns, but no doing so could be extremely damaging days to come. Remember JC is seasoned politician and very well funded.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:09 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Bevin was lucky (and that is being generous) to even win the primary. Coomer was a better choice and is a better human being…not to mention he actually is a a Kentuckian.
      Curtis is a better choice than Conway (the ducker) or Bevins.

24. hater
    10:53 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

As Bevins says he wasn’t registering to vote in Kentucky. Carpetbagger.

25. hater
    10:57 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Drew Curtis was the clear winner imo.

• harry
      11:01 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

agreed, at least I can get an answere

26. Mike1011
    11:02 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Even if you are a Bevin supporter I think it has to be clear to everyone that there is some very damaging information in his tax returns. At this point it’s hurting him more that just releasing the damn things. I truly feel like the guy must have committed tax fraud and is now trying to cover it up. Don’t think I will be able to vote for the republican nominee this year.

• CatFanDu
      11:19 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Tax Fraud would be an ethics issue. Not to mention he would be in jail now. Un-informed voters can’t figure that one out. Comer was a good guy, but why would that matter now? He will be in a more powerful position anyway as 1st district congressman.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:24 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

It’s not like ethics should be important in our choice of people who represent the citizens. Sarc off

• Mike1011
      11:28 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Apparently Bevin thinks it matters or he would release the information would he not? And I assume he could have committed some type of fraud and been exonerated or acquired for lack of evidence or some other reason could he not?

Obviously, something in there stinks and I want to see it before I vote for him. That would make me a more informed voter and I would honestly more than like vote for the guy if I knew his no in the wrong with these tax documents.

• Mike1011
      11:29 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

On my phone. Sorry for typos.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:33 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

…or even consider a guy who owned up to a mistake, mis-step or poor decision. Transparency and honesty reallycan go a long way with real people

• android guy
      1:18 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think it’s anything fraudulent, but there is probably something that would be embarrassing probably. At least something Conway could use in ads against him. It’s sort of like Obama’s college transcripts.

27. Realme
    11:03 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Phew, that was better than a typical debate, but felt like it was about 4 hours long.

Getting back to sports, the air feels like Fall and the Madness campers are doing their thing. I woke up feeling excited because UK fandom is a special thing, and I am thrilled to enter the part of the year when we have this bounty of both football and basketball to focus on. And it is rare that both teams are good, so I am extra ready to enjoy this. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• J-Dub421
      11:17 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Agreed, time to get back to football and basketball. You know, the important things in life. 😉

28. Craig
    11:05 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I’ve always kept my adblocker turned off for this site because I want to support you, but I won’t put up with autoplay audio/video ads. Adblocker back on.

29. Beaker
    11:16 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I thought MJ’s moderating was as level-handed as you could ask for. I think Matt Bevin’s declining to release his tax records, his carpetbagging, and his “holier-than-thou” attitude = Douchebag.

• Bob Ed Thom
      11:30 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

As Douchebaggy as Conway not picking a candidate to vote for, or a team to cheer for, or for CALLING OUT Kim Davis to JUST DO YOUR JOB, when he decided not to do his. Bashear had to PAY CONWAY’S SALARY and PAY an outside firm to go to the Supreme Court to represent the State.
      Hate Career Politicians:
      GO OUT AND GET A JOB IN THE REAL WORLD.
      Bevin at least has real work experience.

• Mike1011
      11:32 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I don’t feel he’s a Douche, but I honestly can’t vote for the guy knowing he is concealing information from the people who are suppose to elect him. He might be the better choice, but the tax info is alarming to me. Repubs should have elected Comer.

• Mike1011
      11:32 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I guess I should say nominated, not elected.

30. Laker Cat 18
    11:42 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Will we discuss Pat Forde’s hate on SMU today?

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Pat Forde hates someone other than us?

31. matt from union
    11:47 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Tell John Short, Jeff Nelson lives in Union, Ky. He is in the Healthcare industry. He is married and has a child in high school.