Larry Vaught no longer writing for the Advocate Messenger

Larry-Vaught

Excuse me while I take a break from UK sports to talk about those who cover UK Sports. This morning, word broke that today is Larry Vaught’s last day at The Advocate-Messenger, Danville’s daily newspaper. While the paper is trying to spin the move as “retirement,” I’m not letting them off the hook that easily. The Advocate Messenger was just sold to new owners who decided that covering UK sports was no longer in the paper’s best interests, so, after 41 years, Larry got the axe, a huge mistake that will haunt the paper for years to come.

This story hits close to home for me, pun intended. As a Danville native, I grew up reading Larry’s work every day, and in high school, interned at the Advocate-Messenger. Danville was extremely fortunate to have a writer like Larry covering UK sports, and reading his stuff planted the sportswriting seeds in my head. Many, many years later, even though I lost the first ever KSR “Who Wants to be a Blogger” contest, I decided to give the sportswriting thing a shot, and Larry didn’t hesitate to give me an outlet; I’ll never forget that and the fact that several, several people can say the same speaks volumes about Larry. I doubt there’s a person covering UK sports that Larry hasn’t helped.

Fortunately, Larry will continue to cover UK sports on his blog VaughtsViews.com and he’ll also put out a weekly column in papers across the state. To read his take on the move, click here.

16 Comments for Larry Vaught no longer writing for the Advocate Messenger

1. lexslamman
    12:38 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

If Larry wanted to, he could write just about anywhere. Outstanding sportswriter, coming from another journalist, he’s one of the best central Kentucky has had to offer for a long, long time.

2. jonthes
    12:41 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

It doesn’t have years to come. He however does.

3. riversideman
    12:49 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

Why not get him for KSR!

4. NostraDanis
    1:34 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

Larry, and his father Bill before him, have been and are the best.
    Congratulations to Larry for getting away from a sinking ship.

5. cosworthxb
    2:15 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

A dumb move by a dying newspaper. I work IT at a Danville college and met him for the first time during a NCAA D3 game several years ago. He as having trouble with his laptop. I had him working in a couple of minutes; he went out of his way to go to our President, who was near by, and complement me. It was completely unnecessary, but I greatly appreciated the gesture.

A great professional and person.

6. chimichanga
    2:55 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like the new owners don’t know what the hell they’re doing. Even if he wanted to retire they should be trying to keep LV.

7. Luvas
    3:11 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

The Lexington Herald Leader could use a quality writer to cover UK basketball.

8. dean winchester
    3:32 pm December 31, 2015 Permalink

Yeah….only thing saving that paper is covering the main interest in the area….which I wonder what that is in Central Ky? Larry is a first class writer and a true gentleman. The people who parted ways with him may own the paper now, but they obviously don’t know the first thing about the people they are counting on to buy their product. Obviously they had some $, but a fool and his money are soon parted. You dont get rid of everything that makes your product stand out and hope to IMPROVE sales. Clueless….

9. I don’t know about the Danville paper in particular, but I know the newspaper industry as a whole is dying due to sites like the very one you’re reading (and news sites of course), and this is happening everywhere. Papers are desperate to stay alive and they’re jettisoning salaries, pure and simple. That said, I LOVED Larry’s columns in The Cats’ Pause back in the day (TCP was a life saver to us Cat fans who live out of state) and I hope he lands on his feet.

10. Angela Todd
    12:49 am January 1, 2016 Permalink

The Advocate Messenger is loosing a class act in Larry Vaught!

11. Chris Zollner
    9:40 am January 1, 2016 Permalink

The Advo is a Mess! Bad move putting one of the greats out to pasture way too soon.

12. Willis Robert Sutherland
    11:17 am January 1, 2016 Permalink

I am Shocked! This is an ignoramus move by the Advocate (This Scribe delivered the Advocate at age 12 and had the Second Street Route which ended at the Pool Room). The New Owners should have their heads examined…Like NostraDanis stated..It is for the better Good for Mr. Vaught – “Leaving a Sinking Ship”…We still love You Mr. Vaught with or without the Danville Advocate…

13. Mark Hoskins
    12:49 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

As a sports journalist myself, I must say that Larry Vaught is one of the people I always admired and aspired to be over the years.
    He is truly a very talented writer and I agree that this will be a huge mistake for the newspaper.
    God speed Larry Vaught, let your talent flow to other worthy entities!

14. greg snow
    1:58 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

Larry is worth more to us than the Messenger. Maybe KSR. Hes the best. Most people biught the paper to read the sports

15. JCT from Dville
    10:16 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more with all the previous comments. Larry is a class act and the main reason I still subscribed to the AM. He learned a lot from his father, but took it to the next level. I have no doubt the Advocate will miss Larry a lot more than Larry will miss the Advocate.

16. Dr J
    11:13 am January 2, 2016 Permalink

Why would anybody read the Danville Advocate-Messenger *except* to read Larry Vaught articles? This sounds like the same mental deficiency WHAS experienced when its change of ownership caused them to become Louisville’s flagship station and demote UK games to secondary status for a while long ago. Larry won’t have any problem continuing to write if he wants to, his work is too good…